PDA

View Full Version : Aldila NV

Jarro
2nd September 2004, 11:04 AM
i'm thinking of getting one of these for my R7.

anyone care to give me a review of these shafts :?:

andylo
2nd September 2004, 04:23 PM
Didn't you see my review?! :lol:

kwantfm
2nd September 2004, 04:29 PM
Jarro,

Unfortunately the NV is not my favourite shaft. I have demoed the 65 in R and S as well as the 75 in S. I have two main complaints about this shaft:
1. It launches the ball too high with quite a bit of spin given the ball flight I was getting with it (that sort of ballooning flight that is so distance robbing); and
2. It has this awful "mushy" feeling that is neither crisp nor smooth. Just hated the feel of this shaft.

Cheers,
T

Iain
2nd September 2004, 07:32 PM
Jarro,
I am actually considering getting an nv 75s for the TP, as I have a few issues with the 757? :evil: :evil: :cry:

As that's what is in the np-99 and I really like the feeling of it, (unlike kwantfm), it feels smooth to me with a nice kick, and launches the ball on a good traj for the 3 wood anyway, so it will be interesting to see how it goes in the 510tp, if does launch high, as I have heard they are a low to medium launch shaft?

Iain

Jarro
2nd September 2004, 07:51 PM
Iain, what don't you like about the speeder :?:

I loved it in my 300Tour 8)

T .... any other suggestions :?

kwantfm
2nd September 2004, 09:43 PM
Jarro,

Don't know anything about your swing? Speed, tempo, trajectory, flight, current shaft, current driver.

Trung
2nd September 2004, 09:54 PM
Jarro,Don't know anything about your swing? I have... Played with him twice :P

Speedsimilar to 65 years old grandma

tempovery slow and smooth with no follow through

trajectorylow.. carry around 50m + 50 along the ground

flightvery low..

current shaft stock stiff R7

current driverR7

:twisted:

Jarro
2nd September 2004, 09:59 PM
thanks Trung :P

..you described my swing to a "T"

geddit... " T" :smt005 :smt046 :smt044

i'll shoot ya a PM T :wink:

terryand
2nd September 2004, 11:06 PM
Don't mess with it Jarro [-X :smt021

It seems to be working fine :smt023

If you get the chance to try another with different shaft to see if there is that much of a difference.

Terry.

Jono
3rd September 2004, 06:31 AM
Jarro,

If I remember correctly, you had similar swing speed and ball flight as me. Have you ever tried the Prolite 35 shaft? Either the regular or stiff flex would work for you, IMO. It's an oldie, but a goodie. I hit some of my best drives with this shaft, fitted into a Bang P2 head. Unfortunately, the head cracked after a little over a year.

You should be able to pick up a brand new Prolite 35 for around $75. Good luck.

kwantfm
3rd September 2004, 07:11 AM
Jarro,

If Trung's analysis is accurate then I would suggest one of two shafts:
1. Any L-flex shaft from Paragon;
2. Try to find an L-flex Callaway pull out (7-wood or shorter only since the B3 swingweight won't tire you out too much). :lol:

Now for the serious recommendations:
1. For a crisp feel -
HTD CB65
Prolite Elite
Blue ProLaunch
Prolite 35 or 45
2. For a fluid feel -
Fujikura Tour Release
Harrison Striper J
AccuFLEX Icon v.2

Jarro
3rd September 2004, 07:37 AM
Jono,

.. i had a Prolite 35S in my old Cobra370 abd hated it.. went nowhere for me :evil:

T,

.. thanks for the serious suggestions :roll: I'm keen to know more about the Blue Prolaunch shaft... I like the feel the Blue gives.

Tezza,

.. The club is going OK, but i feel that the shaft isn't giving me the distance it should, even when i'm swinging it well :?

AndyP
3rd September 2004, 08:16 AM
Surely, the HO thing to do is to buy the shaft anyway, try it out, and if isn't any good, sell it and buy another one. :?

:?: Haven't you done this before?

BrisVegas
3rd September 2004, 08:16 AM
Hey Jarro,

I think I've tried the NV in one of Terry's SMT drivers and it felt pretty good (not sure if it was a 65 or a 75). Very subjective of course. :wink: I think the NV 65S is similar to the Blue S I am using and I like it. I think the "feel" also comes down to the head you have it fitted in. Did you try my driver at Oxley last week? Only real way to get a feel for it would be to try one in an R7, as Tezza suggested....

Have you been to a clubfitter to get measured for swingspeed, flex and torque etc for driver? It might be a good idea. These shafts aren't cheap, so might be a good idea to get a professional opinion.

Good luck mate!

Dion

macleod
3rd September 2004, 08:28 AM
jarro, you still have that massive high ball flight?

go with the accuflex vs339 in stiff, that would look awesome in the r7.

low torque like the fuji speeder you had for the big head feeling, smooth almost freaky release :D

kwantfm,
jarro has a great measured, deliberate takeaway with a good pause at the top, smooth release and usually a very high ball flight.

bit of draw too normally.....

not sure about the low kick prolaunch, jarro hitting even higher? :lol:

kwantfm
3rd September 2004, 08:37 AM
Jarro,

With a high ball flight... scratch my suggestion of the Blue Pro Launch... it is not a shaft I personally like... but many have favoured it. It does provide pretty high launch (hit it in a KZG Gemini and got draw moonballs all day). If you like the Blue then that is probably the shaft you should use as you already know what it feels like and how it performs. Of course if you are a ho then you don't want something you've tried before and you can go back to the previous list of suggestions and add MacLeod's suggestion of the AccuFLEX VS 339.

macleod
3rd September 2004, 10:16 AM
or just wait for the ProtoPype from aldila instead....matches u better ;)

i am constantly bemused that technology that could be better used to improve humanity's existence on a wider scale turns up in golf clubs, running shoes, sports drinks and mobile phones first...

http://www.aldila.com/nanotubes.html

that and wilson putting nano tech to work in their new ball lineup...sheesh....

protopype...heh heh...

kwantfm
3rd September 2004, 10:33 AM
The ProtoPYPE costs a BOMB!

Jarro
3rd September 2004, 10:47 AM
Terrence,

.. can you give me a price on the Accuflex shaft mate :?:

macleod
3rd September 2004, 11:07 AM
still cheaper than a retail fuji speeder though :D

jarro's plays only the best!

more incentive to not swap if he sinks a serious chunk of change into this baby :lol:

he can get a cheap deal on the prerelease, just us$149, what a steal! :lol:

Jarro
3rd September 2004, 11:11 AM
thanks guys ..... i'll think about it :?

might have something else in the fire yet anyway :wink:

Jono
3rd September 2004, 06:09 PM
Jarro,

I just happen to have a BRAND NEW Grafalloy Blue S shaft lying around. :wink: PM me if you are interested.

terryand
3rd September 2004, 06:13 PM
Jarro,

I just happen to have a BRAND NEW Grafalloy Blue S shaft lying around. :wink: PM me if you are interested.

Jono, that'd be way to stiff for our sweet swinging Jarro or should I say nancy swinging :smt047 :smt043

Terry.

Jarro
3rd September 2004, 06:20 PM
Jarro,

Jono, that'd be way to stiff for our sweet swinging Jarro or should I say nancy swinging :smt047 :smt043

Terry.

thanks Tezza....

.. i think :smt017

gazgolf1
5th September 2004, 05:27 PM
Got a Prolite 35s pulled from 983E if you want it ,cheap!!!!!!! 8)

Jarro
5th September 2004, 06:41 PM
Got a Prolite 35s pulled from 983E if you want it ,cheap!!!!!!! 8)

thanks anyway Gaz, i've tried the 35 before and didn't like it at all :(

Jono
5th September 2004, 06:57 PM

Terry.

Come to think of it, there's probably only a handful of players who can handle the Blue Stiff on this board. I don't know what I was thinking when I got it ... :roll:

kwantfm
5th September 2004, 07:05 PM
Jono,

There are probably only a few people on this board who can handle a 7.5* Ashton X-1 driver!

990B Luva
5th September 2004, 07:25 PM
Jarro, the PROLITE 35X in 3wood has made it a BEAST, i hit it with 225m CARRY yesterday, hit it over the back on the 16th at Jindalee, still made birdie though, but it was the ONLY green i hit all day :oops:

990B Luva
5th September 2004, 07:27 PM
BTW the Prolite is a great shaft if you didnt get my last post

Trung
5th September 2004, 08:27 PM
Jarro, the PROLITE 35X in 3wood has made it a BEAST, i hit it with 225m CARRY yesterday, hit it over the back on the 16th at Jindalee, still made birdie though, but it was the ONLY green i hit all day :oops:

Was that from the RED tee? :twisted:

Trung
5th September 2004, 08:35 PM
Don't mess with it Jarro [-X :smt021

It seems to be working fine :smt023

Jarro, very good tip from another T..

What would you choose?

10-15m longer or more fairways?

:D

Jono
6th September 2004, 06:09 AM
Jono,

There are probably only a few people on this board who can handle a 7.5* Ashton X-1 driver!

Terence,

If I had 120 mph clubhead speed, I would be "handling" the 7.5 Ashton. For my humble swing speed, it's more a compensation for my flippy hands through impact which sees the ball going a lot higher than it should. :lol:

I'm trying to lower my trajectory a bit by having the hands a bit more forward through impact and less flippy. Impact Bag is great for this. Or a blanket hanging on a clothes line.

3oneday
6th September 2004, 08:49 AM
Simple, go the NV.

Pete

Jarro
6th September 2004, 04:24 PM
Simple, go the NV.

Pete

so does that mean you are pretty happy with the way your club performed then Pete :?

3oneday
6th September 2004, 04:43 PM
In a word, YEP

Jarro
7th September 2004, 06:48 PM
Tezza,

.. do you still have any of these NV's left :?:

terryand
7th September 2004, 06:59 PM
Tezza,

Yep.I have one that you can take to Chris to see if it will suit you :smt023

Terry.

Jarro
7th September 2004, 07:45 PM
Tezza,

Yep.I have one that you can take to Chris to see if it will suit you :smt023

Terry.

thanks mate, i'll be in touch :wink:

Jarro
8th September 2004, 07:06 PM
Jaster,

. just noticed that you have an NV65 in the new Ping driver. How come you went with the 65 :?: .. i thought you'd be more of a 75X kinda guy :smt017