PDA

View Full Version : What comes first?

chappy1970
13th December 2006, 01:47 PM
Not sure whether this has been done to death or not but here goes....

I'm interested in the feedback from Ozgolfers.

What comes first club fit or lessons?

I've reached a good level of consistency and feel that I am on the verge of heading back into single figures. My kids are getting me some lessons for Christmas, but I want to know if I should head out and get my clubs fitted first.

I have my eyes on a set of TT Black Gold stiff shafts for my irons, I hit this shaft a little and really like the feel.

What are you thoughts?

Chappy

Jarro
13th December 2006, 02:02 PM
Some will tell you that you need a nice repeatable swing before you get clubfit, and others will tell you you need to be fit before you can make a nice swing.

I tend to think having a few lessons first would be the way to go .. well, at least that's what i'm gonna do ;)

If you're almost to single figure level then you could probably get fit right now i'd say.

chappy1970
13th December 2006, 02:05 PM
Some will tell you that you need a nice repeatable swing before you get clubfit, and others will tell you you need to be fit before you can make a nice swing.

I tend to think having a few lessons first would be the way to go .. well, at least that's what i'm gonna do ;)

If you're almost to single figure level then you could probably get fit right now i'd say.

Cheers
Jarro, have been down to 7 before, but then I had to go and have kids didn't I. So just hoping that I can sneak back in to 8 or 9 for a while

Chappy

dc68
13th December 2006, 02:05 PM
Me.....oops wrong topic.

chappy1970
13th December 2006, 02:07 PM
Me.....oops wrong topic.

DC, WHAT not WHO....:mrgreen::mrgreen:

dc68
13th December 2006, 02:09 PM
I saw Jarro was in resonding and thought he beat me to it. ;)

Jarro
13th December 2006, 02:09 PM
Chappy ... does the guy you are having lessons with do clubfitting as well ?

If he's gonna tweak your swing at all then he'd be perfect to do the clubfit as he'd know exactly what you are trying to achieve and could alter your equipment to suit.

chappy1970
13th December 2006, 02:13 PM
Chappy ... does the guy you are having lessons with do clubfitting as well ?

If he's gonna tweak your swing at all then he'd be perfect to do the clubfit as he'd know exactly what you are trying to achieve and could alter your equipment to suit.

Got some leads for fitter and teacher, but they aren't the same bloke. May have to find someone to do the lot.

Chappy

Choppa
13th December 2006, 02:23 PM
I saw Jarro was in resonding and thought he beat me to it. ;)

Does he normally beat you to it DC :smt087

Jarro
13th December 2006, 02:33 PM
Does he normally beat you to it DC :smt087

Don't be a chop Chop :mrgreen:

Toolish
13th December 2006, 02:53 PM
Chappy...I personally would go lessons first?

Also TT Blacks...nice shaft...but if you are going to get fitted it is best not to go in with preconceived ideas, same with lessons actually. Let them tell you what you need to fix, or what equipment you need...it is their job!

chappy1970
13th December 2006, 02:58 PM
Chappy...I personally would go lessons first?

Also TT Blacks...nice shaft...but if you are going to get fitted it is best not to go in with preconceived ideas, same with lessons actually. Let them tell you what you need to fix, or what equipment you need...it is their job!

Cheers mate

Ducky
13th December 2006, 03:16 PM
Well, each can have their own advantages/disadvantages if done first. Personally, I don't think that the iron shaft recommendations are going to differ much before/after lessons. However, if you want to get fitted for length and lie angle, it can differ dramatically.

I have found the main influence to be posture/setup when determining length and lie angles. For example, a one-plane setup (i.e. spine angle 35-45º) can require a lie angle that is 2º flat, where as a two-plane setup (i.e. spine angle 10-20º) can require a lie angle that is 2º upright.

I would consult a teaching professional first and cover your posture/setup in the initial lesson. Once you have established a consistent posture/setup, then book in to see a club fitter.

3oneday
13th December 2006, 03:29 PM
What comes first club fit or lessons?

neither, ebay come first ;) all other meaningless purchases come last !!!

:lol:

Golf_Novice
13th December 2006, 03:56 PM
What comes first.. Chicken or the egg??

Get lessons then spend the money on the clubs?
Spend the money on the clubs then get lessons to match the perfect clubs?

Hmmm..... :)

chappy1970
13th December 2006, 04:08 PM
The golfing conundrum, me thinks:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Grunt
13th December 2006, 05:53 PM
I reckon the lessons come first but don't think I have never purchased clubs beofre I had the nessesary ability to hit them properly.

Courty
13th December 2006, 06:24 PM
Lessons first.

just
13th December 2006, 07:16 PM
Chappy
For what its worth coming from someone who doesn't hit it well but is improving do both- the processes go hand in hand. Start lessons, get fitted (you may not need to change club specs/shafts at all) at the same time and keep going to lessons, then in six months to a year go back to the club fitter for a check. After talking to the club fitter, he told me most things aren't going to change much at all (ie length, flex, shaft profile, flex) due to the lessons and swing changes(if they have fitted correctly in the first place), unless you are a complete beginner with no swing at all or have a completely weird swing. More than likely the only thing that MAY change over time is the lie angles. Doing lessons and fitting at the same time, at your level, will only help you improve quicker. It is helping me and I am way worse than you.
It also depends on how you view lessons are they a one off to address something specific or are they an ongoing track to improvement. If they are the latter and you waited as per the above advice you would never get fitted.
Just my opinion.

Thanks
Just

goughy
13th December 2006, 09:05 PM
What comes first.. Chicken or the egg??

Hmmm..... :)

Don't you know the answer???

Chicken and egg are sitting up in bed having a smoke. The chicken looks across to the egg and says, 'Well, that answers that question!'

Actually, I still don't know the answer.

Sorry 'bout the thread jack!!

Moe Norman
13th December 2006, 10:56 PM
i've always said that a fitting is useless until you have a consistent repeatable swing (thats whyI've never been fitted) but people far more knowledgeable than I have often said thats complete bollocks.

Basically it was explained to me that a fitting actually benefits a bad golfer more because good players adjust to whatever club is in their hand regardless of whether it is the correct fit, which thus creates kinks in their swing.

I've been on a few monitors and got some verbal advice, but never been officially fitted, I reckon as long as the shafts are the right flex and everything is 1/2" over and 2* upright I'm on the right track :)

also never had a lesson though, so maybe listen to someone else!