PDA

View Full Version : Ebay: Selling Global

AndyP
12th December 2006, 09:42 AM
A Frenchman just bought an item from one of my ebay auctions. Now what? I've never sold to anyone overseas before.

I didn't offer paypal, but I guess I still can? I'm not sure what's involved from my side for payment. He mentioned that he would pay using "mandat cash" and asked for my address, but I've never heard of that.

I better look into international postage cost too.

Any tips from experienced sellers?

PeteyD
12th December 2006, 09:44 AM
Paypal. It is your best option. Takes a little while to set up your account. Mandat cash is the French money order system. Not sure if it is viable here.

AndyP
12th December 2006, 09:45 AM
I have a paypal account because I've paid using it. Do I need to do anything else to receive payment with it?

Golf_Novice
12th December 2006, 09:46 AM
Use paypal as that will convert it and everything for you. Then ring up Australia Post or check out www.australiapost.com.au (http://www.australiapost.com.au) for how much it will cost for postage. You'll need to know measurements of the box you will be sending it in plus weight. That way when you send an invoice to the winner, you can include the new postage price and paypal instructions :)

Hope this helps!!

Golf_Novice
12th December 2006, 09:48 AM
I have a paypal account because I've paid using it. Do I need to do anything else to receive payment with it?

You'll have to make sure you are a higher level on normal buying paypal. This will cost a small fee (I think it was about $1.00 when i did it)

Then for every sale they take a fee out (about $1.00 again) and then everytime you transfer money into your normal banking account, they will charge a fee again (yep, you guessed it - $1.00) You can only transfer into your account when you have $15.00 or more in there :)

AndyP
12th December 2006, 09:58 AM
Mandat-cash if the French money order.

Air mail is $16.50.

It's only a playstation game, but I may have to fill out a customs form for it.

Why did I leave posts worldwide on it?
I might have to add a nice handling cost.....

3oneday
12th December 2006, 10:01 AM
Did you state you would sell worldwide ? If not, tell him to nick off.

It's about 2.6% for Paypal and the $1 charge if you withdraw (assuming under $150 ?), so if you get his email address send him a Paypal invoice for the lot including postage. Just spec it out in the details, I think there is a postage section on the Paypal invoice.

Force him to follow how you want to be paid, if he doesn't want to pay that way then I wouldn't complete the transaction.

AndyP
12th December 2006, 10:09 AM
I did list that I would sell worldwide. I also listed acceptable payment options as direct deposit, bank cheque and money order (mandat cash).

So if I go to paypal, then it's me that's changing the conditions. It's definitely under $150.
I'll look into the paypal stuff, and check with them. I'll also pop down to the post office to see what I have to do exactly.

Fishman Dan
12th December 2006, 10:11 AM
Whats replacing it?

AndyP
12th December 2006, 10:14 AM
No playstation or PS2 games in line to replace "Tomb Raider 1, 2, 3 Limited Collector's Edition". It was excess stock.

Jarro
12th December 2006, 10:52 AM
any popups ?

+1

AndyP
12th December 2006, 10:56 AM
You guys are ridiculous.

AndyP
12th December 2006, 11:23 AM
Fees, fees and more fees. What's the etiquette on hitting this guy up for more than the $16.50 airmail cost?

dc68
12th December 2006, 11:54 AM
Go Lara Croft on his ass!!!!!

Fishman Dan
12th December 2006, 12:13 PM
I'd follow Pete's advice and tell him you have absolutely no interest in selling overseas. Or was he the only bidder?

AndyP
12th December 2006, 12:29 PM
He got it via Buy-it-now.
Telling them to bugger off, when it was listed as being able to post worldwide, is just asking for negative feedback. My fault for not considering that an international sale wouldn't be as simple.

I've asked if paypal is good for them. Hope so, otherwise it could drag out for a while.

3oneday
12th December 2006, 12:32 PM
Sorry, did you state an international postage cost ? If you did, then you better wait for him to send this mandat cash thing, whatever the hell that is.

Maybe give him a couple of postage options ? EMS = $XX.XX and Air Mail = $xx.xx, let him decide ?

Jarro
12th December 2006, 12:32 PM
seems like an awful lot of friggin' around for a bloody PS game :roll:

How much do these games go for in France anyway ??? ;)

poidda
12th December 2006, 12:53 PM
Ask him if he's got an NTSC or PAL playstation. When you get an aswer, tell him the games are the opposite!

Also, send the email in Russian, and ask for payment in Thai Bhat. He might also end up thinking it's to much of a hassle.

AndyP
12th December 2006, 01:00 PM
What's EMS, 3oneday? I didn't state any international postage costs, only domestic.

On the Australia Post website, I can see sea mail and air mail, then the other options, such as Express Post International, are significantly more expensive for a package under 500g.

jarro, I don't know what attracted the buyer to this item, considering the extra cost involved for postage. Perhaps the lure of the Limited Edition (only 10,000) got him.

poidda, I stated in the auction that it was PAL format.

Fishman Dan
12th December 2006, 01:54 PM
Have you still got the poster of Angelina in tact, or are the corners stuck together?

3oneday
12th December 2006, 02:54 PM
He is probably attempting to obtain your email details and hijack your account.

Courty
12th December 2006, 04:19 PM
This is hilarious. Just tell him that escargo is for poofs! :mrgreen:

AndyP
13th December 2006, 09:27 AM
I've received the paypal payment from him, and made sure I covered my costs in the postage and handling. As soon as it was received in Aussie $, paypal straight away converted it to USD, because USD is set up as my default "primary" currency, despite using the Paypal Australia site. For me to get it back to AUD, I'd lose $3 overall in conversion rates, for them to do nothing. I've asked them to reverse the initial conversion.

Now I've got to send this thing to the Swiss Alps.

Courty
13th December 2006, 09:28 AM
ROFLMAO :mrgreen:

AndyP
13th December 2006, 09:31 AM
How the hell do you prononce "Aurore Lale-Demoz"?

If someone could tell me, I'll decide whether it's on my shortlist for baby names.

Golf_Novice
13th December 2006, 09:36 AM
I guess you can pronounce it any way you like... Did your postage costs cover postal insurance on it??

AndyP
13th December 2006, 09:49 AM
If it's not already included in airmail, then none.

Bruce
13th December 2006, 10:17 AM
How the hell do you prononce "Aurore Lale-Demoz"?

If someone could tell me, I'll decide whether it's on my shortlist for baby names.

Oh-raw Lal (like the second syllable of final) day-moz

AndyP
30th December 2006, 08:13 PM
Positive feedback left for me. Crisis over. Phew!

Ferrins
31st July 2011, 07:09 PM
:)

sms316
31st July 2011, 07:10 PM
:lol:

dc68
1st August 2011, 07:12 AM
Nice mining Ferret....