PDA

View Full Version : Jaster!

goughy
11th December 2006, 12:22 AM
Today at 2.30pm Leon Treadwell passed away. His wife Leah sent me a message late this afternoon. His family was with him.

I've not known what to say. So it may come across a bit disjointed. Leon was one of my best friends. We talked often over the last 4 odd years and while we haven't seen enough of eachother over that last 18months, we talked often. He was a caring person who always was more concerned about my problems rather than those facing him and his family. He also had strong beliefs and stood behind them. He was a great support when Robyn and I were going through some horrible times, never intruding, but always helping in whatever way he could.

He started ozgolf with me and was instrumental in organising one of the first of our open invite games in Toowoomba years ago when we were a part of ISG. Look what has become from that.

A little over 18 months ago Leon was struck down with appendicitis. It turned out to be cancerous and was removed along with about 1/3 of his bowel. He has been fighting this with chemotherapy for most of the time since then. But Monday week ago he was admitted into hospital after a particularily bad weekend.

On Friday morning he was transferred to the Toowoomba Hospice. It was a much better place for him. Quieter, more private. His family could spend more quality time there with him and his daughters could even stay there over night.

But today his fight ended with his family holding his hands. I was able to speak to his mother earlier this evening. Leah herself has been unwell and it is good that she has a strong family and friend network.

Leon is survived by his lovely wife Leah and 2 daughters, Brooke and Emily.

I have been trying to think for hours what to say but really couldn't get a straight thought in my mind. My beautiful wife Robyn just voiced pretty much what is running through my head.
'The only thing that makes sense is that there is no sense in it'.

Goodbye my friend. You touched many of us and you will be missed.

Jono
11th December 2006, 12:34 AM
I am deeply sorry to hear the news. I met Leon at the 2005 Ozgolf Champs. This was after his operation and while he was on his chemo. You couldn't tell. He was smiling and joking all weekend and we had great fun as pool partners on Saturday night (even though we lost more than we won ... )

I've shared many PM's with Leon ... first when he was going through his initial chemo and also recently when I was going through some hard times myself. Despite his own problems, he gave me his phone number and told me to call him any time. I guess that's the sort of bloke he was ...

You'll be missed by many, Leon. Rest in peace ...

clikchic
11th December 2006, 12:52 AM
I don't poke my head in here much but I sit here trying to be strong for Dean, but this is just so awful, that such a wonderful father and friend should receive such a fate, let alone what his family must be going through and what awaits them as they grieve.

As I think about Leon, what pops into my head is how wonderful he and his wife were together. You could see very clearly what a great love they held for one another and what great companions they were...such a strong friendship, something very rare in today's day and age. It was very refreshing to see him so comfortable mucking about with his adorable girls, joking around with them and having fun. They are such beautiful and vivacious girls and my heart aches for what they have ahead of them. The pain of loosing their father will have an impact on them for the rest of their lives.

You will be very sadly missed by many Leon. Thank you for being a part of our lives we are all the better for it.

Ducky
11th December 2006, 03:13 AM
When Leon had stopped coming to the OzGolf forums I had suspected that he may have taken a turn for the worst, but did not want to be intrusive by inquiring. Although I have never met Leon in person, I used to enjoy having chats with him on MSN. I can only confirm what has been said above, he was a great listener and always more concerned with other peoples problems than his own. He will be missed.

My thoughts are with his family at this tough time.

gazgolf1
11th December 2006, 03:38 AM
Wow even though I knew things were'nt good with Leon this still comes as a huge shock.
I last saw Jaster at the 05 Champs and I'm thankful to have spent some time chatting to him that day.
I think I'll always remember him striping iron shots at the Oxley driving with that smooth,powerful swing of his.
My wife's and my thoughts are with his family at this sad time.

just
11th December 2006, 05:09 AM
Its extremely sad when a young man who has so much before him passes way early. I only met Leon once when we played at Pac Harbour in August. You would never have guessed he was going through difficult times, he was upbeat, had a bit of helpful advice for everyone and always had a joke ready to lighten the situation.

My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

Onewood
11th December 2006, 07:20 AM
I'm shocked to hear of the news that the first guy I met on the net has passed away.

As friends we drift apart but the memories of a great friend will never die.
The first time we met was down the gold coast, at a driving range. I see this lefty bombing drives down the middle (with a little fade :) ) I Remember approaching him and saying you must be Jaster, well that was the start of a short (as its turn out) but a great friendship that will last forever for me.
The Toowoomba trips and the return trips were always a highlight. From the early morning changing around of groups, to the powerful way he got through the ball, the putting magic, the helpful hints, the competitive nature and the broken buggy, there was always something happening.

Dean Please pass on my condolences to Leon’s Wife and Kids, give them a big hug, for they have lost a great HUSBAND and DAD

RIP Jaster
Onewwod

Eag's
11th December 2006, 08:07 AM
I new Leon had been fighting this terrible disease for some time now, but it still
comes as a big shock when you find out he has lost his battle :(
Leon was always a person who gave more than he took, always full of encouragement and a kind word.
People like Leon don't come along very often these days, now our world will be a sader place without him :cry:

My wife's and my thoughts are with his family on this sad day.
We will all miss you mate, rest in peace.

andylo
11th December 2006, 08:21 AM
I can't believe it! Just not too long ago we are playing in the same group off the black tee in Pacific Harbour and he still smiling, looks pretty healthy, still hit the ball a mile. Now this.... :(

I am out of word neither but I am one of the few lucky one here to be able to play with him in the recent time. He's a definitily a wonderful person with great characteristic. He was a gentle person but also have a strong
personality.

I will never forget your Leon. RIP.

Jarro
11th December 2006, 08:35 AM
Goodbye my friend, you were way to young to leave us.

Jaster was one of the first people from ISG/Ozgolf that i met, he was always happy and keen to hear how you were and especially how your golf was going. He was just a really great guy.

I'll miss you buddy.

R.I.P. Jaster

Bruce
11th December 2006, 08:39 AM
I only knew him as well as you can via a forum, but we still shared some laughs when I was getting some stuff shipped up to him.

That beer he owes me is going to have to wait a while.

Condolences to his family as he was clearly quite the man.

chappy1970
11th December 2006, 09:14 AM
I chatted with Jaster occassionally online, however I never met him. The comments posted are a fair indication of the calibre of the man. My thoughts and wishes go out to his wife and daughters.

I am always saddened to hear when a life is taken to soon.

RIP Jaster

Regards
Chappy

Iain
11th December 2006, 09:25 AM
Leon was always a great friend, a number of times I made the trip up the big hill to have a hit with him or get some help with my swing, he was always willing to help in anyway he could and we always had a great time, he also shot his PB round of 65 a little over a year ago when I was with him.

For him to be taken so early in his life doesn't make sense, but with the way he was fighting the cancer was an inspiration to us all.

RIP Leon Treadwell.....

peter_rs
11th December 2006, 09:26 AM
Good bye and good luck jaster,may you find peace.

Dean is it possible ozgolf could do something for his wife... even if its flowers or a donation to cancer research. I'M IN.

Dean I hope your ok in the future too.

Courty
11th December 2006, 09:26 AM
It is just so wrong that a man can have his life stolen from him at such a young age. Like a few others here, I never met Jaster, but had the pleasure of chatting with him via PM/ MSN etc. on quite a few occasions over the years. I can echo the sentiments already expressed in here about his personality. I never would have known just from talking to him how bad his health actually was. The way he talked with me made him sound in better health than I was. My thoughts go to Jaster's family in this difficult time and in the future.

Rest In Peace.

TS
11th December 2006, 09:37 AM
I was lucky enough to meet Jester in the 05 champ. He is a great guy. It is sad to see someone pass away at such a young age.

Goodbye.

BrisVegas
11th December 2006, 09:42 AM
I'm so glad I got to know Leon. I can't believe he's gone. At his (& my) age, with a wife and kids, its the furtherest thing from your mind.

I've always been impressed with his natural ability and work ethic at the game. He really showed us all what we can acheive if we work at it. I enjoyed the (few) games I got to play with him and I think it's appropriate that in my last round with him at Lakelands he stitched me up by a shot. Wouldn't have it any other way.

I miss you mate.

Fishman Dan
11th December 2006, 09:58 AM
I never got to meet Leon but there are 2 things that I found synonymous with his name - OzGolf and Ping golf clubs.

Back on ISG during my last job when i got into golf, I can still remember wondering "What the heck is a Jaster Mereel?!".

He was always keen about coming events including the Blue Marker at Ocean Shores and I regret the fact that he wasn't able to make it - I truly feel like I've missed out by not meeting him in person.

Vale Leon.

mrsbrisvegas
11th December 2006, 10:24 AM
My thoughts and prayers go out to Leon's family. I had the pleasure to share an afternoon with them at a BBQ with the Goughy's in Toowoomba.

I only recently found out Leon was instrumental in setting up ozgolf. This website has provided my Husband Dion with many great friends and times. So thanks Leon! RIP.

Sandra.

dc68
11th December 2006, 10:34 AM
Wow, I had a few chats with Jaster leading up to the Pro-am as we were paired together and he wanted to see if I wanted to go halves in a cart with him. Unfortunately he was too sick to play that day,which is a pity as it would have been nice to meet him and have a hit.

My condolences to his family.

Grunt
11th December 2006, 11:50 AM
Well I really don't know what to say. I also never got to meet Leon but when I was crook earlier this year he was a great bloke to have a chat with. I had a week there where I was not sure what was going to happen, he gave me the pick up I needed & helped me through alot even though he was in way worse a situation himself.
It was a great regret that his health did not allow him to come to the champs this year. Would have loved to just shake his hand and give him a hug for the help he gave me when I needed it.

RIP Jaster

terryand
11th December 2006, 12:25 PM
I have the thoughts but not the words right now, so I thought I would do my tribute in photos.

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/4785/img2993mediumzx4.jpg
http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/6412/img0367largehb9.jpg
http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7360/img0377largerd3.jpg
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/6088/img2982mediumnl9.jpg
http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/2618/img2981mediumyc9.jpg
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/8180/img2956mediumje1.jpg
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/9540/img2948mediumgy8.jpg
http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/6109/img2782mediumpd3.jpg
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/9058/img3035mediumvk4.jpg
http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/4813/img0294largeld4.jpg

Jarro
11th December 2006, 12:29 PM
nice work Tez 8)

Iain
11th December 2006, 12:58 PM
Some great photo's there Tez.... :(

Trung
11th December 2006, 01:32 PM
Leon, It was a pleasure to have met you. Thank you for all the great memories. I'm speechless. :cry:

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/1060/xxxgroupax0.jpg

RIP Jaster - Leon - Mate - Buddy.

Flowergirl
11th December 2006, 01:44 PM
I so didn't want to start reading this thread cos I was too scared to hear what it might be about:cry:

My heartfelt sympathy goes to Leon's family and to all of us - his Ozgolf family. He was an intelligent, witty and kind hearted man. I only met him once - at the 2005 champs - and we spent a lot of time chatting. He had a lovely way of making you feel special and was very interested to listen to what you had to say. He had a great sense of humour - stirred me up heaps regarding my lack of pool playing talent!

I just can't imagine how hard to must be for his family to lose someone so young and in their prime. Just so so sad.

Rest in peace Leon. This is just so wrong...............

Chris32
11th December 2006, 03:02 PM
I have never met or chatted to Jaster, but just reading the posts you can feel what a great bloke he is

RIP mate

Condolences to Family and Friends,

Chris

Johnny Canuck
11th December 2006, 03:32 PM
I have never met or chatted to Jaster, but just reading the posts you can feel what a great bloke he is

RIP mate

Condolences to Family and Friends,

Chris

This is exactly what I was going to say.

Prayers to Family and Friends, sorry for everyone that lost a top mate!

JC

Keza_G
11th December 2006, 04:06 PM
Jaster....
Husband, Father, Mate..... you were all these things and yet you were more... I am saddened by your loss... your family was gifted to have you in their lives as were we... I sit here at work thinking about all the things I have lost this year... so insignificant... I am at a loss as to what to do when such young lives are taken from us... Leon, may you be shooting a course record up there with Duncan waiting for all of us to join you one day... what a party that will be... Cheers mate... RIP Leon..

Grunt
11th December 2006, 04:08 PM
Hey Guys and Girls, not sure if this is a good or bad idea. I will put it up to everyone here anyway.
How about we all get online tonight and have a Chat Session all about Jaster (Leon)? It might make it easier for those of us that were very close to share stories and we can all help one another through this Sad Day in OzGolf.
How about 7:30 QLD time for us all to get together and celebrate the great guy that Jaster was and always will be remembered.

AndyP
11th December 2006, 05:07 PM
This is terribly sad news for everyone involved, and it's hard to comprehend losing a spouse or father at such a young age. The fact that he was in decline recently, doesn't make it any easier. My thoughts go out to his close friends and family.

Everyone has captured above what a great guy he was and he will be a big loss to our community, as well.

I'm so glad to have played with him just a couple of months ago at Pacific Harbour, enjoying his company. Despite his discomfort during the round, he was his usually cheery self, and only too happy to dispense advice to those in the group, as he has always done. He would have been absolutely buggered, but stayed around for a couple of beers with us after which was fantastic, which is further proof of the time he had for other people.

AndyP
11th December 2006, 05:25 PM
Jaster also had plenty of success at his home club of Toowoomba City GC, and I'd think he would be well known around the club. It would be good if they could organise some sort of memorial/fundraiser event to remember him. If they did, I'd do my best to be a part of it.

For an OZgolf memorial, I was thinking that perhaps we could get a perpetual silver plate to award to the Gross Winner at the Champs each year. Seems fitting. The Leon Treadwell Plate. What do we think?

Eag's
11th December 2006, 05:59 PM
Yep great idea Andy :smt023 I am sure everyone in here would support such an event.

Grunt
11th December 2006, 06:03 PM
I will back that AndyP. Let us know if the golf day goes ahead I will do everything in my power to get to it.

Golf_Novice
11th December 2006, 06:05 PM
I have been ummming and ahhing about posting on this thread all day because unfortunately I did not know Leon... except from what Iain has told me and what I have read from you guys. And I'm really quite disappointed to not have known him. He seems like such a great guy who was so thoughtful about what everyone else was going through than to talk about his own worries. People like that don't come around that often! But his loss has still upset me deeply.

Iain showed me a thread from when Leon was first diagnosed with this curse and I sat there in tears as it really makes you put life into perspective. What touched me most was in something I read that he wrote about his wife saying: "I was blessed to have met her 10 years ago and each day I get reassured more and more that I could not have made a better choice for a life partner" It showed me he deeply respected his wife and they had a strong bond... this will never die.

My love and thoughts aren't only with his wife, children and the rest of his family at this time but for everyone on here who has been touched one way or another by Leon's presence. That call yesterday was probably one that goughy never wanted to make.

But like Grunt suggested, celebrate his life because from what I've heard, he celebrated every last day he had here! It's upsetting to anyone to hear of this kind of loss, especially when they are taken so young. But God has a reason for everything and obviously Duncan needed someone up there to play a round with :)

God bless you Leon. And thank you for your time here :)

kwantfm
11th December 2006, 06:31 PM
I never actually met Leon but exchanged hundreds of emails and PMs with him and received just a little of that quiet wisdom of his. Rest in peace and my condolences to his wife and daughters.

shavey
11th December 2006, 08:25 PM
To an all round nice guy and enjoyable sparring partner on the course...

RIP Jaster

BrisWesty
11th December 2006, 08:35 PM
Never got to have that game with Jaster that we said we were going to when he beat this, but got to wander 4 holes at Pac Harbour that day in August. So glad of that time, just to meet him. You never would have known what he was going through if you didn't know him.

An absolute class bloke who will be sorely missed. Thoughts and prayers to his family.

And the TV is now playing that "Ain't no sunshine when he's gone" ad in the next room. Awful, yet appropriate.

RIP Leon

perci
11th December 2006, 09:15 PM
Golf not just about the scores you shoot or your hadicap or the clubs you use,its also about the people you meet,unfortuanatley i didn't get to play with Leon [Jaster} but Jarro always mentioned him so he must have been a pretty good bloke to go 18 with.My heart felt feelings go out to his wife and children.
Heres hoping theres an Augusta in the sky.
Mike.

Moe Norman
11th December 2006, 11:10 PM
He's wasn't the first person who openly grimaced when they first saw my grip, nor will he be the last. Top Bloke who in the 10 minutes I spoke to him, came off as a champion bloke. I think when I first met him he had been diagnosed over 6 months prior and I had no idea he was even sick. It wasn't until about 2 months later I discovered via a post on this forum that he had cancer. Kind of shows how positive he was when he got out and about.

AP - how about a trophy for player of the year, so everyone has a chance to win the Treadwell Plate/Cup, not just low markers?

Thommo

Grunt
11th December 2006, 11:14 PM
How about OzGolfer of the Year? Does not have to be best player/scorer/lowest marker but the Ozgolfer that does what Leon set this place up to be and encourage. The best all round Ozgolfer!

I reckon that is what he set this place up to encourage

Speirsy11
12th December 2006, 12:18 AM
As soon as I saw the title to this thread my heart sank. I didnt open it for a while, just hoping that it was going to be a thread about a great remission even though I knew it wasn't. Everytime I dealt with Leon he was 100% positive. I hope each and everyone one of us can take that kind of enthusiasm and love of life from this. If he could be as positive and helpful, as upbeat and friendly through all he was dealing with, I really have no excuse for not acting with as much class and dignity as he did.

You'll be missed Leon. A better place awaits.

Rob

Jarro
12th December 2006, 08:35 AM
Funeral arrangements have been made.

The service will be held Friday 15th December at 1pm at :

Hume Ridge Church Of Christ
461 Hume Street
Toowoomba

Grunt
12th December 2006, 08:38 AM
Is there a fund that his family would like people to donate to rather than send flowers?

BrisVegas
12th December 2006, 08:54 AM
Funeral arrangements have been made.

The service will be held Friday 15th December at 1pm at :

Hume Ridge Church Of Christ
461 Hume Street
Toowoomba

Is anyone thinking of going up on Friday?

Jarro
12th December 2006, 09:00 AM
as much as it pains me to say, i don't think i'll be able to make it :(

Iain
12th December 2006, 09:01 AM
Is anyone thinking of going up on Friday?

Yes, I'll be going.

terryand
12th December 2006, 09:03 AM
Yep, I'll be going too.

Terry.

BrisVegas
12th December 2006, 09:18 AM
I'd like to try and get there. Friday is always a challenge for us with Sandy working and Meghan in daycare. I'll work something out, but might be able to get the car for the day if I can get home by 4-ish..

amanda
12th December 2006, 01:38 PM
I've been reading these messages since early Monday morning - not knowing what to say or write - just in tears. 2006 has been some year -miracles and devastation.

Is there a fund that his family would like people to donate to rather than send flowers?

Grant - I think this is a fabulous idea - count us (Brad & I) in.

Boonie
12th December 2006, 04:49 PM
So sorry to hear this news guys, just so sad!

Leon got me over to OzGolf a month or so after it started, as we had got to know each other a little on BSG years ago. He always took a genuine interest in my golf and we shared quite a few PM's discussing clubs and tournaments. Unfortunately I never got to meet him. Just seemed like an absolute ripping bloke!

Every time I log in here I check to see if there is any news on his health battle. This time, when I saw the heading, I knew what it meant.

BrisVegas
12th December 2006, 04:54 PM
Iain / Tez / Jarro - I'll be going to the funeral now. If anyone wants to share a car up there, I'll have ours. It can seat 4 at a pinch... I was thinking of leaving around 11:00 - 11:15 to be there half an hour early.

Let me know.

I'd need to be back to Bris around 5pm to collect Sandy from the train station (Goodna).

terryand
12th December 2006, 05:25 PM
Vegas, if it is just you and I, we can take my ute (bit more leg room for us and benefits of it being a work ute:smt002 ) so you can leave the car for Sandra.

Terry.

nudgee
12th December 2006, 05:52 PM
Guys count me in as well. I have been unable to muster up words to put down so there is no way I will miss saying goodbye to my mate.

I have my company car that can fit 4 easily. Lets talk separately

Iain
12th December 2006, 05:54 PM
Guys count me in as well. I have been unable to muster up words to put down so there is no way I will miss saying goodbye to my mate.

I have my company car that can fit 4 easily. Lets talk separately

Thanks Jamie, I will drive to where ever is easiest to leave from....

Eag's
12th December 2006, 06:23 PM
Jamie, if you had room in your car I would like to come with you guys?
Just let me know where to meet you and I will be there.
I finish a graveyard shift Fri morning so I will shoot home and get a few hours sleep then meet up with you guys.

What time where you heading up?

goughy
12th December 2006, 06:34 PM
His family have asked for donations to be made to the Toowomba Base Hospital Oncology Unit. Leah considers them family now and they have been a tremendous source of support to Leah, Leon and their family for 18 months.

Leah rang me today and has given me the honour of being a pall bearer for Leon. I could hardly speak.

The same goes while I read this thread. Speaking to Leah today, I will be giving her a copy of this thread, along with the other threads where Leon has given us updates on his battle. I'm also going to give her a copy of every post that Leon made here. I'll be asking Jason at isg and Todd at BSG if we can do the same from their. It's a part of Leon's world she and their family's heard about often but was probably not so much a part of. She'd love to read through it all, as would his family. I think she'll be proud of what she reads.

While on this subject, does anyone know of any other forum or internet communities that Leon was a part of. I'd like to contact them with similar requests.

amanda
12th December 2006, 06:46 PM
Events like this always remind you of what's important - friends, family. I sent an email out to all 500 of my extended family (my students) - I thought I'd copy some of it here. I've already had an overwhelming number of students thank me for reminding them that even though they have pressures from parents to be "successful" - the things that really matter have nothing to do with the material trappings. Especially at this time of year.

I often ask students "what do you want to achieve?" and most respond with something like "I want to be rich" or "I want to drive a fancy sports car". Today's society seems to measure success based on accumulation of physical wealth - of big houses, fancy clothes, nice cars, a new mobile phone or digital camera.

When you lose a friend, you don't remember those material things. You remember how they treated you and others.

So I encourage you all - think carefully about life. Who do you want to be?

Speirsy11
12th December 2006, 07:31 PM
[QUOTE=goughy]His family have asked for donations to be made to the Toowomba Base Hospital Oncology Unit. Leah considers them family now and they have been a tremendous source of support to Leah, Leon and their family for 18 months.
[QUOTE]

Can someone post the details for us? I'd like to make a donation.

Thanks

Rob

goughy
12th December 2006, 08:25 PM
I'll ring the Toowoomba Base Encology department tomorrow and get their details. I'll post them here in case anyone would like to make a personal donation.

I'll also be arranging something through here shortly as well if anyone is interested. We also have some hats to sell and the full procedes will be donated.

goughy
12th December 2006, 08:31 PM
If anyone who happens to be coming on Friday wants to make a donation there will be envelopes available.

nudgee
12th December 2006, 09:22 PM
Guys just gone through the PMs and I can get dads big fairlane that will fit 5 comfortably rather than take two cars. Maybe we can meet at Tezzas place - perhaps Eags and Dion can catch up with me at Milton and we can go from there and pick up Iain and Tezza at Tezzas joint.

AndyP
12th December 2006, 09:25 PM
I'm also going to give her a copy of every post that Leon made here.
This should be able to be done with a database query that will be able to spit it out in text form. Let me know if you want me to look into it.

BrisVegas
12th December 2006, 09:28 PM
jamie, sounds good. i gotta leave my car near a train station for sandy. Is either auchenflower or goodna a possibility for you to collect me from?

Iain
12th December 2006, 09:28 PM
Hey guys - just a suggestion... maybe we could put our heads together and organise something as a tribute to his contributions to ozgolf to present on Friday to his family or to be placed on his coffin so everyone else can know how much of an impact he made on this community ???

I know we will also give money... and traditionally you take flowers, but how about something that's more about ozgolf ???

Any suggestions???

Also - to all those attending, I was thinking we should all wear our ozgolf shirts.....

Please let me know your thoughts ..........

Eag's
12th December 2006, 09:32 PM
Guys just gone through the PMs and I can get dads big fairlane that will fit 5 comfortably rather than take two cars. Maybe we can meet at Tezzas place - perhaps Eags and Dion can catch up with me at Milton and we can go from there and pick up Iain and Tezza at Tezzas joint.

Sounds good to me Jamie, what time would you like me there?

Toolish
12th December 2006, 10:05 PM
If the family were ok with it an ozgolf shirt or hat on top of hte coffin would be a fairly symbolic gesture I think?

I never met Jaster, and his health was fading by the time I really got into this forum, but his reputation among others here speaks enough!

You will be missed Jaster...

goughy
12th December 2006, 10:21 PM
http://www.localclassifieds.com.au/search.php?action=browse&pillar=5&category=5017&location=13&mod=all&keywords=treadwell

Stoney
13th December 2006, 09:45 AM
Being a farther of 4 young children I find it unimaginable and so terribly heartbreaking to hear this sad news.

My prayers and thoughts are with Leon’s family and this most difficult time.

I was not sure what to say or if this was worth mentioning, but I am sure he will appreciate the thought.

I was looking for some golf balls earlier in the year and Jaster came to my rescue with 15 Pro V1x’s. He sent me a PM he said “hit them long and go low”

Last week I played my first round in a couple of months and was not hitting it too well. On about the forth hole I pulled out one of his golf balls and all of a sudden I started to hit the ball longer than I ever had in my life. It was truly amazing.

Thanks Jaster you were one of a kind and will be missed. Enjoy that course in the sky. “Hit them long and go low!”

cazandpaul
13th December 2006, 07:03 PM
Didn't know what to say so didn't say anything - met Jaster a few times and everything said here reflects the man.

All our love to his family and friends.

RIP mate.

Caz and Paul

goughy
13th December 2006, 07:18 PM
To those who have asked about or wish to make donations. At the funeral there will be envelopes where donations can be made to the TMBA oncology unit. I rang them today to ask about how others can send in donations. In a way you can't. Any donations would go to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation and while they would still go to the benefit of cancer patients, they wouldn't specifically go to the Oncology unit.

It has been arranged for the donations on friday to go to the oncology unit. They suggested sending any donations to Leah as she may be able to send in further ones under the same arrangement. If anyone would like to do such please pm me and I will forward her details.

Another option is if anyone wished they could send any donations to me or one of the others coming on friday and we could make the donation using the envelopes on your behalf. Obviously about the only way we could do this in time would be through direct deposit. But I thought I'd mention it as an option.

Jono
13th December 2006, 08:05 PM
Goughy,

Can we send it via Ozgolf Paypal?

Grunt
13th December 2006, 08:13 PM
Great Idea Jono

goughy
13th December 2006, 08:28 PM
Yes you can. But I'd have to give it to Leah next week as robyn says it takes a few days to transfer from paypal to my account so we can withdraw it.

Grunt
13th December 2006, 08:37 PM
Will that be OK Goughy? I will donate tonight if yo ugive it the tick.

goughy
13th December 2006, 08:39 PM
Go for it! :)

Grunt
13th December 2006, 09:00 PM
Done

MatthewM
13th December 2006, 10:32 PM
On behalf of many of us in other states who can't make it on Friday, we hope the boys who can atend are strong, and that the day is a positive reflection of a guy who leaves behind a massive number of mates, as well as loved ones. We will be thinking of you all on Friday, and I'm sure many will draw solace from the fact that Jaster's pain has ceased.

Matthew

shavey
14th December 2006, 01:35 AM
Are we able to put a picture of Jaster and Drunken on the forum banner?

Jarro
14th December 2006, 07:27 AM
Goughy, i'll paypal a donation today.

AndyP
14th December 2006, 07:51 AM
Yep, already thought of that. And I know just the man for the job.

Flowergirl
14th December 2006, 08:56 AM
My thoughts and love will be with you boys tomorrow. I'll be with you in spirit.

I know that donations have been made - but I hope you don't mind if I send flowers on behalf of us all. It just seems right to me. - is this ok by you all?

Jarro
14th December 2006, 09:02 AM
That'd be great Reenie ... thanks a bunch ;)

Flowergirl
14th December 2006, 09:08 AM
Flowers sent. I've oredered a lovely bright spray.

Message on flowers

In loving memory of Leon. A fellow golfer and dear mate to us all. Deepest sympathy to all his family. From all his friends at Ozgolf. Net. "Hit them long and straight Jaster"

BrisVegas
14th December 2006, 09:09 AM
that's fantastic Reenie. Thankyou very much.

AndyP
14th December 2006, 09:30 AM
Thanks Reenie.

Coffs_Hacker
14th December 2006, 09:49 AM
I played and shared a cart with jaster at the Tweed Ozgolf champs and what impressed me was how he enjoyed life and didn't let his condition take over. His strength was amazing and puts the petty things we go through day to day into perspective. Cheers mate and Thankyou

Eag's
14th December 2006, 03:23 PM
That's awesome Reenie, you are a champion :smt023

CobraSS
14th December 2006, 05:29 PM
:cry: Been offline for past 2 weeks, sad sad news indeed, good bloke gone too soon.

Condolences to his family and friends. :(

goughy
14th December 2006, 06:17 PM
Thanks FG. It is appreciated. My minds been a bit left and right lately. Should have spoken to you earlier. Thanks so much.

Jono
14th December 2006, 07:35 PM
Yep. Big thanks to Reenie from me too.

I'll be thinking of Leon tomorrow also.

Keza_G
15th December 2006, 08:15 AM
You are the best Reenie...

Golf_Novice
15th December 2006, 10:07 AM
My thoughts are with everyone today that are attending the funeral and that cannot make it. Please say a little prayer after lunch for strength to the family and friends of Leon.

dc68
15th December 2006, 10:39 AM
I will be sending a prayer for his family and friends today.

Jarro
15th December 2006, 05:59 PM
I hope all went well today up the mountain.

We were thinking of Leon today while we were out on the course :(

nudgee
15th December 2006, 08:16 PM
It was a heart wrenching experience but one that I will never forget - the huge turnout just showed how much of an impact Leon had on numerous people from all walks of life.

His wife Leah and three daughters were amazingly strong and to hear the daughters sing "You are my sunshine" was a truly moving moment.

It was a sad sad day :cry:

Farewell buddy..... I am sure you and Duncan have already lined up a golf day up there!

BrisVegas
15th December 2006, 09:01 PM
Tough day. Probably the saddest funeral I've been to. The dark clouds and approaching thunderstorm when we were at the graveside was fitting really.

Leah really appreciated us being there and thought the personalised ozgolf bucket hat that Iain laid on the coffin was spot on. Really thoughtful. So long jaster, glad I got to play a couple of rounds with you.

terryand
15th December 2006, 09:14 PM
Have to agree with the guys above, it was a tough day.I found myself swallowing the lump in my throat a few times. My heart goes out to Leah and the girls. As sad as I am for them I could never imagine what they are going through. I have been giving my girls extra long hugs this week.

So long mate, we'll miss you.

Terry.

goughy
15th December 2006, 09:15 PM
Thanks for coming up guys. I know it meant a lot to Leah. And she thought the hat was just perfect; she found it very touching.

The turnout was a great tribute for Leon and also for Leah and the girls. Having known them both for some time now, and Robyn being in the same grade as Leah in high school, they were a match made in heaven.

I don't have anything else to say now. Good bye brother..

Eag's
15th December 2006, 10:30 PM
Without doubt one of the most moving funerals I have ever been to.
Leon's family were just amazing how strong they were all day, the kids were very brave getting up in front of everyone to sing that heart wrenching song :(

Huge tunrout which was great to see :)
Attending days like today really puts things into perspective and you find yourself reflecting on the things that are important to you.
For me those things are family and friends, a lot of those friends I have made since joining this awesome community.
So long Leon, I feel privileged to have known you mate.

A big thanks to Jamie also for driving myself and Iain up to Toowoomba today, much appreciated mate :smt023

Iain
16th December 2006, 01:08 PM
It was a sad day indeed. A very fitting tribute, just showed what a fantastic bloke he is.... Incredibly brave of the girls to get up and sing.

Thanks to Jamie for driving Eag's and I up.

clikchic
16th December 2006, 06:08 PM
Definately the toughest funeral I have ever been to. The first one I have not been able to hold back the tears and boy was I bawling. Yup, definately when the girls were singing was a major tough point. It was so beautiful and bittersweet.

The turnout was huge and boy did the Church and family and friends do an amazing job at organising it all. It was a very fitting tribute to Leon. The golf clubs, and Star Wars helmets on the stage were a very nice touch.

Iain when you put that hat on the coffin was a special moment. It was very fitting and very touching and you could see Leah was really touched when you did it. Leah was very appreciative that you guys turned up and it was great to see the ozgolf shirts there. I am sure Leon would have loved that!

Guys I am going to put together a CD of any photos I can find of Leon for Leah. If you have sent me photos in the past that might have him in it, no need to send them again, but if you have any photos of Leon, please send them to me and I will add them to the cd. If the files are too large to email you can zip them and send them via a file sharing service like yousendit.com or if you prefer you can send them via snail mail. Just send me a pm and I will send you our postal address.

Thanks heaps guys!

davidp
17th December 2006, 09:59 PM
I only read this thread today, and it was with a heavy heart. I was hoping it wasn't what I thought it would be, but...

I only got to meet Jaster once at an ozgolf day up at City G.C. He was a really nice guy who obviously adored his Pings.

My sympathy to his wife and little girls. As a father, I can only imagine Jaster's anguish at not being physically there to watch them grow up. I know he'll find a way to keep an eye on them somehow.

RIP.

goughy
9th January 2007, 07:37 AM
Hi all,

I've been wanting to do something to help Leah and the kids for a while, but wanted to wait and find out what help they needed most. I know now how I'd like us to help them. Not surprisingly it is financial. I know she has some big bills coming soon and I know it is going to make things tight for her.

So if anyone would like to help in a fund raise for her it would be much appreciated. You can pm me for the bank acc details.

The members at iseekgolf did a fantastic job of raising funds to go towards the girls education. I'd like to say hats off to you guys. Especially Jack who initiated it and took care of it all. Well done guys.

Now it's our turn to help.

AndyP
9th January 2007, 09:07 AM
So if anyone would like to help in a fund raise for her it would be much appreciated. You can pm me for the bank acc details.
Can your paypal account be used?

Jarro
9th January 2007, 09:20 AM
the PayPal link on the site here would probably be much easier

Golf_Novice
9th January 2007, 02:44 PM
What if you organised a fundraising golf day or something? That way you can raise money while all doing something that you and LEON really enjoyed! Maybe even do it at his home course and they might sponsor it or something ?

Just an idea. I organised one for charity once and raised a lot of money from it!! The club gave us reduced rates for the day and I marked up the joining fee. Also put a notice in the local paper and had businesses donating prizes etc for raffles. If you think it would work and need a hand, let me know...

:)

Flowergirl
9th January 2007, 05:08 PM
What if you organised a fundraising golf day or something? That way you can raise money while all doing something that you and LEON really enjoyed! Maybe even do it at his home course and they might sponsor it or something ?

Just an idea. I organised one for charity once and raised a lot of money from it!! The club gave us reduced rates for the day and I marked up the joining fee. Also put a notice in the local paper and had businesses donating prizes etc for raffles. If you think it would work and need a hand, let me know...

:)

Great idea............hop to it guys:smt002

AndyP
9th January 2007, 05:11 PM
I'm sure goughy mentioned organising a yearly event at City GC somewhere, but I can't find it.

poidda
9th January 2007, 05:24 PM
I'm sure goughy mentioned organising a yearly event at City GC somewhere, but I can't find it.

City GC is in Toowoomba isn't it?!? :-D

Sounds like a great idea though.

Eag's
9th January 2007, 05:36 PM
Great idea Golf Novice, I could not think of a better way to raise funds for his family :smt023

reg320
9th January 2007, 05:50 PM
I have only just seen the thread - I can't believe it! like a few ot the other guys on the site jaster was one of the first blokes I met, and what a great guy. What a terrible thing to happen.

goughy
9th January 2007, 07:13 PM
Can your paypal account be used?

Yup!! :)

Keza_G
10th January 2007, 07:58 PM
Done....

AndyP
11th January 2007, 09:43 AM
For those who would like to donate, there are paypal links at the bottom of the front page/portal and in the sidebar.

Jarro
21st January 2007, 05:14 PM

Any news on whether or not this is able to be done yet ?

AndyP
21st January 2007, 05:17 PM
It definitely can be done.

The mod to rotate banners has been installed, and I've got my support guys working on creating the banners.

Jarro
21st January 2007, 05:25 PM
Good work P

Iain
10th December 2007, 03:00 PM
RIP Jaster.... :cry:

Jarro
10th December 2007, 03:21 PM
Yep, i'm thinking of Leon today :(

Eag's
10th December 2007, 06:42 PM
Hard to believe it has been 12 months since his passing :(

goughy
10th December 2007, 06:45 PM
Tell me 'bout it!

gazgolf1
10th December 2007, 07:14 PM
Lookin through some old threads on the Golf Opinions forum and old Jaster was quite the Ho back when tour issue stuff was becoming more available,around 2002.

Grunt
10th December 2007, 07:17 PM
Thoughts with all involved, like Eag's said 12 months travels fast.
RIP Jaster.

goughy
10th December 2007, 07:24 PM
Lookin through some old threads on the Golf Opinions forum and old Jaster was quite the Ho back when tour issue stuff was becoming more available,around 2002.

You have no idea. He was part of the lefties on bsg, and there were one or two guys on there that used to send him a lot of stuff. Leah has 2 bags of clubs just how Leon left them, one for each of the girls. Of course they are right handers.

gazgolf1
10th December 2007, 07:27 PM
Small exchange between Nudgee and Jaster from 2003.

http://www.golfopinions.com/community/index.php/topic,24890.msg143372.html#msg143372

Another from 2002 when the Titty 975D was the driver of choice.

http://www.golfopinions.com/community/index.php/topic,8845.msg49837.html#msg49837

kwantfm
10th December 2007, 09:31 PM
Thanks, it's nice to remember him and his infectious love of this game.

Iain
10th December 2008, 07:01 AM
RIP Leon.

Our thoughts are with him.

goughy
11th December 2008, 12:05 AM
Miss ya Bud!!

shazza_rs
10th December 2009, 12:30 PM
Bump!

Can't believe its been 3 years already. :(

Thinking of Leah, Brooke and Emily.

Jarro
10th December 2009, 04:17 PM
3 long years :(

R.I.P Leon

AndyP
10th December 2009, 05:01 PM
Don't read the opening post or you might get a little teary.

jaybam
10th December 2009, 06:14 PM
Good for everyone to know who was behind this place happening though. He was a factor in this wasnt he?
Thoughts to his family.

goughy
10th December 2009, 07:14 PM
Don't read the opening post or you might get a little teary.

You shouldn't have pointed that out AP!

Think of him almost every day still. Still miss out daily chats while he was at work at centrelink (I think I must have been one of his 'problem and continually on the phone' cases ;) ).

And a heads up for everyone interested - I'm sure there will be another Memorial golf day come March. Andy and I spoke about rather than just entering ourselves as teams, maybe some of us would like to put in together to sponsor from Ozgolf, which will get us a starting team as well. I don't know the cost of this, though I thought it was around $300 but sponsored teams I think get carts (they don't have to have chicken pox to get one ;) ).

Anyway, we've had 2 or 3 groups up each year and would be great to get that again, if not more!

Maybe if Andy can remind me I'll contact the owner of the Gladstone Hotel up here who organises it to express our interest and find out the costs.

Remember, all money goes to the oncolocgy dept at tmba base hospital who also took great care of Leon.

AndyP
10th December 2009, 07:24 PM
Maybe if Andy can remind me I'll contact the owner of the Gladstone Hotel up here who organises it to express our interest and find out the costs.When do you need a reminder?

markTHEblake
10th December 2009, 07:39 PM
Goughy, ring the bloke up and find out the costs tomorrow.

Grunt
10th December 2009, 07:46 PM
RIP Leon.

We had many online chats when I was crook in 2006.

Never met in person but never had too, a great mate.

Grunt
10th December 2010, 09:38 AM
I know we all said time moves fast but I still cant believe it has been 4 years already

RIP Jaster

Will have a beer in your honour at the NSW V ACT game on Sunday.

Jarro
11th December 2010, 11:30 AM
4 years has flown by ...... still can't believe he's gone really :(

Grunt
10th December 2011, 11:29 AM
5 Years!!

RIP Leon :cry:

To Leah and the girls my thoughts are with you.

Jarro
10th December 2011, 05:29 PM
It's hard to believe it's been 5 years already :shock:

Grunt
10th December 2011, 06:02 PM

Yep saw Leah's post on Facebook today and it certainly makes you look at the important things.

Jarro
10th December 2011, 06:19 PM
Sure does Grunt

Eag's
10th December 2011, 06:40 PM

+1 :(

Courty
10th December 2011, 11:16 PM

+2. :cry:

Trung
16th December 2011, 06:32 PM
+3 :cry:

Jarro
10th December 2012, 08:06 AM
6 years today :(

Grunt
10th December 2012, 08:07 AM
RIP Leon,

gone too soon :(

Ned
10th December 2012, 08:10 AM
Never met Jaster but by all accounts was a.....

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/10/ma2urepy.jpg

Eag's
10th December 2012, 07:34 PM
Wow! 6 years :(

Jarro
10th December 2013, 07:41 AM
7 years today :(

Grunt
10th December 2013, 07:42 AM
7 years too long Jarro. :(

Jarro
10th December 2013, 07:44 AM
Sure is Grant

dc68
10th December 2013, 09:06 AM
Feel for Leah and the girls and Goughy today. RIP Leon.

goughy
10th December 2013, 09:08 AM
Yeah, it's a day to remember co-founder and a bloody great mate. Still miss ya bud. Will visit and plant a golf ball for him.

Ned
13th July 2014, 08:44 AM
With recent events some may benefit from this thread as to how, why and what OG is about. I've got it saved as a favourite for it makes good reading and shows what was obviously a great bloke and Forum Founder.

KristianJ
13th July 2014, 09:01 AM
Great idea, Ned. Was worthwhile reading through the OP again.

If the date doesn't clash with anything I'm hoping to get to Toowoomba next year myself for the Treadwell day.

Jarro
13th July 2014, 09:35 AM
He was a champion bloke that's for sure.

goughy
10th December 2014, 10:55 AM
8 years today bud. Feels like yesterday. Still waiting for my daily call from centrelink.

Jarro
10th December 2014, 11:09 AM
😯

Jarro
10th December 2015, 05:52 AM
R.I.P Leon ......

goughy
10th December 2015, 06:32 AM
Can't believe it's 9 years today!

Grunt
10th December 2015, 06:37 AM
RIP Jaster

Where ever it is that you go when this happens, I am pretty sure you are proud mate of what Leah and the family have become.

goughy
16th April 2016, 10:33 PM
Just read through this whole thread again. Been thinking of the strange connections our families have. Robyn and Leah having gone to school together. Leah's best friend is our ex sister in laws sister in law (ok, that's a stretch). But Leon would have loved the paths our daughters have followed. Both were in the leadership group at their respective primary schools; Emily as music captain (I think) and Jas co school captain. Then last year they started high school together at the same school, and both were class captains of their respective classes. And this year they were voted in as captain and vice captain of the junior school together. God he would have loved this.

Jarro
17th April 2016, 03:58 PM
Still hard to believe it's been almost 10 years

Jarro
10th December 2016, 08:36 AM
10 years today 😔

goughy
10th December 2016, 09:10 AM
Yep :(

Grunt
10th December 2016, 09:23 AM
10 years today 