PDA

View Full Version : Cast your vote, what size avatars do you want?

jaster
31st August 2004, 10:15 PM
Speak now or forever hold your peace!

Fishman Dan
31st August 2004, 10:22 PM
Size by pixels is one thing, but how about relaxing the rules for my 75 kb one... ;)

clikchic
31st August 2004, 10:26 PM
Size by pixels is one thing, but how about relaxing the rules for my 75 kb one... ;)

LOL! Well for even 200x200 you shouldn't need 75kb! I can get 99.9% of 400x533 pixel photos down to less than 30kb without any loss of quality on the screen.

If anyone ever needs anything resized I am happy to do it. I got good practice resizing pics for ebay auctions as I had to keep my download/upload limits to a minimum as I had a nasty habit of creeping over 1gb thanks to bigpong counting uploads as well as downloads!

Just send em through to goughy and I can do it for you...

markTHEblake
31st August 2004, 10:44 PM
the main point of the limitation on Avatars is to keep traffic down on the server. As long as Mr & Mrs Goughy have gB's to spare with the hosting account then why worry about the size of them?

I would shuder at the thoughht of getting an overuseage because of excessive traffic from the server.

SO have you gB's to spare?

for me The bigger the better! except that any pics of golf clubs must be limited to 75*75

Fishman Dan
31st August 2004, 11:33 PM
Clikky - it's animated ;) :lol:

AndyP
1st September 2004, 08:22 AM
Having to scroll across to read posts because of the larger avatar is just plain annoying.
And don't forget about the poor saps who have dial-up.

markTHEblake
1st September 2004, 09:21 AM
Having to scroll across to read posts because of the larger avatar is just plain annoying.

that doesnt happen to me? what res you running, I use 1024*768 which is nothing special these days.

The images load last after all the text has loaded so it does not cause any delay for the poor sap on dialup who just wants to read.

clikchic
1st September 2004, 10:21 AM
the main point of the limitation on Avatars is to keep traffic down on the server. As long as Mr & Mrs Goughy have gB's to spare with the hosting account then why worry about the size of them?

I would shuder at the thoughht of getting an overuseage because of excessive traffic from the server.

SO have you gB's to spare?

for me The bigger the better! except that any pics of golf clubs must be limited to 75*75

I am not concerned about gb's on the server at all, I am thinking of those on dailup and those with the lower resolution screens who have to scroll across the screen to read posts. Not every one can afford to upgrade an older puta and it is just in my books having a bit of consideration for others.

I mean is it REALLY that important to have big avatars? In my opinion not.

Just my 2c

AndyP
1st September 2004, 10:54 AM

that doesnt happen to me? what res you running, I use 1024*768 which is nothing special these days.

The images load last after all the text has loaded so it does not cause any delay for the poor sap on dialup who just wants to read.
Didn't say I was having these problems.
I just have issues with the big avatars. :wink:

Jarro
1st September 2004, 12:50 PM
Bigger is better i always say 8)

mike
1st September 2004, 07:42 PM

Hear hear.

I find it too tedious at ozgolf having to do this. I've tried re-whatevering the screen but the writing is just too damn small.

jaster
1st September 2004, 08:21 PM
1/4 of the members have voted, big avatars are winning so far :wink:

McMw
1st September 2004, 11:16 PM

just thought I even it up!!! :wink:

markTHEblake
1st September 2004, 11:23 PM
I've tried re-whatevering the screen but the writing is just too damn small.

Try this from the menu bar > View > Text size. Default is medium.
for some reason it seems to change sometimes

AndyP
2nd September 2004, 08:31 AM
...and to think I got pooh poohed for complaining about quoting, re-quoting, and re-re-quoting long posts... :roll:
Not by me. I was with you on that one. I don't think you changed anything though.

AndyP
2nd September 2004, 08:42 AM
Why should a majority vote for big avatars win the poll? Surely the fact that these avatars negatively impact some members viewing of the forum has more weighting than other members amusement. :smt011

The fact that nine members have voted against big avatars should be enough to decide against using them. :smt045

3oneday
2nd September 2004, 09:59 AM
The fact that nine members have voted against big avatars should be enough to decide against using them. :smt045
Andippy, can you vote more than once :wink: ?? personally, care factor is pretty low on this one, what about option 3 for the fence sitters, who gives a ...... if mine is too big :lol: , please feel free to tell me :shock:

Pete

AndyP
2nd September 2004, 10:09 AM
who gives a ......
I actually don't really care either. I'm just being a PITA and an advocate for those members who are disadvantaged by these avatars and are scared of Jaster. :wink:

markTHEblake
2nd September 2004, 10:22 AM
I like most of the big avatars, but what offends me is the big heads.

burger
2nd September 2004, 12:41 PM
if mine is too big :lol: , please feel free to tell me

I'm sure you hear that ALL the time BIG Pete :twisted: [-( :wink:

damoocow
2nd September 2004, 10:19 PM
why didn't this poll have the option of NO AVATARS ? - get rid of 'em I say - and while you're at it get rid of those ****ing stupid emoticons - never bloody used one and never ****ing will.
damoocow

markTHEblake
2nd September 2004, 10:54 PM
Piece of cake Mate - to kill the Avatars, do this

Windows/System32/drivers/etc/ and double click on the file "Hosts" choose open with notepad and enter this on the last line

127.0.0.1 www.ozgolf.net/forum/images/avatars

should work (in theory)