PDA

View Full Version : V8 Supercar championship winner is......

shazza_rs
10th December 2006, 06:37 PM
congratulations to Rick Kelly, despite some controversy.

Pretty awesome achievement for a 23 year old to win the championship and also have two bathurst wins under his belt.

amanda
10th December 2006, 06:42 PM
I was cheering Lowndes on - pity he was in that crash early on in Race 3.

It's been an interesting year - Lowndes was penalised post race for crossing a pit lane exit line by a small fraction. Yet Rick Kelly did exactly the same thing in Tassie and was not pinged at all. :-?

I hope the rules on blocking vs racing next year become a lot clearer - it was obvious that Tander was blocking Lowndes early on in Race 2 so Kelly could catch up after a botched pit stop.

shazza_rs
10th December 2006, 06:56 PM
I think there needs to be a big shakeup in the rules and regulations.... but like any sport .... interpretation at the time by the officials is always going to cloud the decisions.

It was a pity that Lowndes car was damaged by the Jack Daniels Car.... but when the whole field is trying to squeeze through the corner accidents are expected.

Moe Norman
10th December 2006, 07:28 PM
a little birdie just told me Kelly is likely to be stripped of the title.

I don't follow reacing and have no idea why.

shazza_rs
10th December 2006, 07:37 PM
there was an incident involving Lowndes and Rick Kelly.... Lowndes shut down the passing line, Rick Kelly tapped him as he had nowhere to go.... Lowndes and Todd Kelly got turned around..... Rick Kelly was served with a drive through penalty... Lowndes car was ****ed up, bent steering arm.

Race officials reviewed the incident at the time and were satisfied with the end decision. At the end of race Lowndes team put up a protest, but nothing was to come of it.

PeteyD
10th December 2006, 09:08 PM
Unfortunately I think the drive thru was the correct penalty :( Bad luck for Lowndes.

Grunt
11th December 2006, 11:56 AM
Worst thing about it all was Rick Kelly's speech at the Presentation.
"well it is not the best way to win it but you do what you need to do to win"
Maybe it was just a 23yo kid speaking, he has a record of taking people out. Does anyone remember him @ Indy a few years ago taking Bright out at a chicane.

Fishman Dan
11th December 2006, 01:37 PM
Does anyone remember Indy this year when Larkham wouldn't allow his Ford mate (Lowndes) to pass, resulting in CL making a stupid decision into turn 1?

It was all downhill from there.

I haven't seen any footage, but this incident sounds like one of those things in racing. They can't change the ruling of a 'racing incident' purely because it was the last race of the season. If the officials overturn this result, then it will be a bigger farce than Pakistani drug testing.

perci
11th December 2006, 09:35 PM
Kelly $180 3 points for following to close tap in the ass.

Lowndes says he still feels like the moral winner of the championship,what a wank.

Fishman Dan
11th December 2006, 10:09 PM
Lowndes says he still feels like the moral winner of the championship,what a wank.

I've never heard such loser talk ;)

terryand
11th December 2006, 10:12 PM
What a f*cked up series that give the guy that didn't win a round the win over a guy that won 4 rounds and yes I know its a consistency thing, but what sort of racer goes out just to finish and not go for the win.

At least they are changing the points system next year to make it more of an incentive to actually win a race.

Terry.

Fishman Dan
11th December 2006, 10:19 PM
Spoken like a Ford driver Tez ;) Have you ever had any handicap-beating rounds without a single birdie?

Lowndes has himself to blame with the number of run-ins he had throughout the season.

terryand
11th December 2006, 10:37 PM
Spoken like a Ford driver Tez ;) Have you ever had any handicap-beating rounds without a single birdie?

Lowndes has himself to blame with the number of run-ins he had throughout the season.

No (not that I can remember off single figures) and I drive a Mazda ;)

Terry.

Grunt
12th December 2006, 08:31 AM
Very Funny Ebay itemm that was placed after the result.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/RICK-KELLY-VZ-HOLDEN-COMMODORE-2006-CHAMPIONS-CAR_W0QQitemZ260063892882QQihZ016QQcategoryZ36606Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

terryand
12th December 2006, 08:42 AM
Fitting.

Terry.

miro
12th December 2006, 08:46 AM
I delcare I am a Holden fan.

However, the points system in V8 supercars is an absolute disgrace. Winning races has virtualy no points benefit to finsihing in the top 5 or so. Lowndes deserved the Championship but lost becauase AVESCO, of which his team is a big part, made a f..cked points system in order to make the series more marketable (i.e. closer). Bad luck cry boy -you reep the seeds you sow.

Grunt
12th December 2006, 08:51 AM
I think the fact that a guy that wins 4 rounds is 7 point adrift of a driver who never won 1 at the final round is just plain wrong.

I guess you get that when the CEO of V8 Supercars Australia is more well known as a theatre/entertainment producer.

Just shows you how much power there is for sports to become an entertainment spectacular rather than what is really is SPORT. If you look at all sports now Golf and Test Match Cricket are just about the only sports that have not been changed to make good TV.

Moe Norman
12th December 2006, 08:56 AM
i don't follow racing at all, but its not just coincidence than the bloke who looked like winning got jammed between the bloke that needed to beat him and his brother is it?

surely!

miro
12th December 2006, 08:57 AM
As they say

Rubbin's racin.

Moe Norman
12th December 2006, 08:59 AM
"i'm going to put him in the wall"

AndyP
12th December 2006, 09:25 AM
Sour grapes. Complain at the start of the season, not the end.

terryand
12th December 2006, 09:30 AM
Sour grapes. Complain at the start of the season, not the end.

People have been complaining about the points system ever since it came in about 4 years ago :-s

Terry.

AndyP
12th December 2006, 09:32 AM
Not in this forum.

Grunt
12th December 2006, 09:33 AM
cause this is a golf forum not a Motorsport forum

www.conrod.com.au is the motorsport forum I look at.

AndyP
12th December 2006, 09:37 AM
Okay, I'll delete this thread then.

More proof that Holdens are pricks.

Grunt
12th December 2006, 09:40 AM
Nah don't delete it the Holden people need to know what they have done/ been associated with.

Grunt
12th December 2006, 09:44 AM
http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/%5BURL=http://imageshack.us%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://img88.imageshack.us/img88/2699/455528r1ok2.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5B/URL%5D
New pic of pRick Kelly's 2007 car

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/2699/455528r1ok2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

(http://img88.imageshack.us/my.php?image=455528r1ok2.jpg)

Fishman Dan
12th December 2006, 10:14 AM
Go the Lion ;)

dc68
12th December 2006, 10:28 AM
ha ha sucked in Found On Rubbish Dumps.

Jarro
12th December 2006, 11:07 AM
Holden Rules !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dc68
12th December 2006, 11:13 AM
Amen to that !!!!

shazza_rs
12th December 2006, 11:43 AM
i don't follow racing at all, but its not just coincidence than the bloke who looked like winning got jammed between the bloke that needed to beat him and his brother is it?

surely!

If Craig Lowndes wasnt' in the side door of Todd Kelly pushing him off the track in the first place maybe you could say something bout that Moe.

Rick Kelly wasn't even involved in the tussle until Lowndes turned across him to the apex of the corner. Where else was Rick Kelly going to go with the whole field behind him ready to run up his arse?

PeteyD
12th December 2006, 11:53 AM
Nice one Shazza. If someone is in your way just punt em off the track. And get your mates to slow em down for ya.

Coffs_Hacker
12th December 2006, 12:06 PM
Where else was Rick Kelly going to go with the whole field behind him ready to run up his arse?

The whole field was only up his butt cause the other 2 cheaters in front of lowndes was deliberatley slowing things down.

Moe Norman
12th December 2006, 12:16 PM
as a completely unbiased observer, it looked to me like blatant cheating from Holden on about 3 different issues, not just the crash.

terryand
12th December 2006, 12:18 PM
If Craig Lowndes wasnt' in the side door of Todd Kelly pushing him off the track in the first place maybe you could say something bout that Moe.

Rick Kelly wasn't even involved in the tussle until Lowndes turned across him to the apex of the corner. Where else was Rick Kelly going to go with the whole field behind him ready to run up his arse?

How many V8 races have you been to Shazza :-k

Terry.

Fishman Dan
12th December 2006, 01:46 PM
as a completely unbiased observer, it looked to me like blatant cheating from Holden on about 3 different issues, not just the crash.

Since when have you ever been unbiased, and/or not had an opinion on anything?! :???:

PS - read about it in tomorrow's papers. No wait - TODAY'S PAPERS! Protest dismissed baby! ;)

terryand
12th December 2006, 01:53 PM
The Barry Sheene medal is awarded to the driver who shows outstanding leadership, personality, fan appeal and sportsmanship throughout the season - qualities Lowndes has portrayed better than ever in the aftermath of the Phillip Island race.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,20910049-23770,00.html

Fishman Dan
12th December 2006, 01:55 PM
In other words, a Thanks For Coming award.

dc68
12th December 2006, 02:07 PM
The Barry Sheene medal is awarded to the driver who shows outstanding leadership, personality, fan appeal and sportsmanship throughout the season - qualities Lowndes has portrayed better than ever in the aftermath of the Phillip Island race.

If so he shoulda copped it on the chin and not whinged.

terryand
12th December 2006, 02:14 PM

He has copped it on the chin. There was 2 or 3 more step he could've appealed to.

Terry.

miro
12th December 2006, 02:24 PM

That is hilarious considering he was under threat of suspension / loss of points after carrying on like a spoilt prat at the Indy (I may need to check this) round. Add this to the current appeal and it looks like mr Lowndes believes if you can't win on the track try the courts. If that is great leadership and sportsmanship it will be very surprised.

dc68
12th December 2006, 02:24 PM
He has copped it on the chin. There was 2 or 3 more step he could've appealed to.

Terry.

All that says to me is that he knows he f ucked up his line into the corner and could not win an appeal.

Fishman Dan
12th December 2006, 02:29 PM
I don't know what all the hullabaloo is about. Larkham would have punted him soon after anyway.

miro
12th December 2006, 02:30 PM
The actions of the Sheene medal winner:

Motor Sports News

Lowndes cops fine over spray
2:15 PM November 8

Ford driver Craig Lowndes has been fined $15,000 after admitting bringing V8 Supercar racing into disrepute.

Lowndes had been due to face a stewards enquiry to plead his case this Friday, but offered V8 bosses his own guilty plea today.

This year's Bathurst winner had claimed that V8 officials were biased against him because they wanted to stop him running away with this year's title race.

He made his comments after this year's Gold Coast Indy carnival.

"I recognise that some of the comments that I made were inappropriate, and I therefore now apologise unreservedly to the stewards and the officials of the meeting for any offence that I caused," Lowndes said in a statement released through V8 Supercars.

"I do not believe that the stewards and officials act in anything other than a manner that is fair, unbiased and in the best interests of the sport and they have my complete support in their execution of a difficult and often thankless task.

"My comments were made in the heat of the moment, but I recognise that is no excuse."

One-third of Lowndes' fine has been suspended until the end of the year. No further action will be taken against him or his team.

amanda
12th December 2006, 02:31 PM
That is hilarious considering he was under threat of suspension / loss of points after carrying on like a spoilt prat at the Indy (I may need to check this) round. Add this to the current appeal and it looks like mr Lowndes believes if you can't win on the track try the courts. If that is great leadership and sportsmanship it will be very surprised.

Hang on - from memory - Lowndes went straight through the chicane to avoid a collision at Indy - and therefore got ahead of Ingall. The rules say that he has to redress that situation - and he did - he let Ingall pass him - but then he got pinged on it.

You may be talking about the complaint at Symonds Plains (if that's the Tassie track). He got done somewhere else for cutting a corner on the pit lane exit. Rick Kelly did the same thing in Tassie (I think he cut even more of the corner off) and received no penalty - hence he kicked up a stink.

What he was complaining about in that situation was that the rules should apply the same to everyone (which sounds fair to me - otherwise why have rules?)

miro
12th December 2006, 02:39 PM
Hang on - from memory - Lowndes went straight through the chicane to avoid a collision at Indy - and therefore got ahead of Ingall. The rules say that he has to redress that situation - and he did - he let Ingall pass him - but then he got pinged on it.

You may be talking about the complaint at Symonds Plains (if that's the Tassie track). He got done somewhere else for cutting a corner on the pit lane exit. Rick Kelly did the same thing in Tassie (I think he cut even more of the corner off) and received no penalty - hence he kicked up a stink.

What he was complaining about in that situation was that the rules should apply the same to everyone (which sounds fair to me - otherwise why have rules?)

Amanda,

Your memory is almost correct. Lowndes did as you say allow Ingall to repass -however it was only after the Race Stewards had imposed the drive through penalty i.e. he tried to escape the penalty, when he was caught he tried to escape with a lesser penalty (repass instead of drive through), which was not allowed then he cried like a baby.

shazza_rs
12th December 2006, 02:53 PM
How many V8 races have you been to Shazza :-k

Terry.

Quite a few actually Tez.

I have been following the v8's for about 10 years now in fact.......:evil:

Fishman Dan
12th December 2006, 03:03 PM
Amanda,

Your memory is almost correct. Lowndes did as you say allow Ingall to repass -however it was only after the Race Stewards had imposed the drive through penalty i.e. he tried to escape the penalty, when he was caught he tried to escape with a lesser penalty (repass instead of drive through), which was not allowed then he cried like a baby.

Miro is correct here, and not only that if he had held his breath and accepted his spot, he wouldn't have finished 20th or something, and we wouldn't be in this situation today.

He then went onto slam the organisers, and back down. How did he wind up with this TFC award?

I have all respect for Lowndes, but the further this season went on, the bigger the hole got for him. All respect is lost..... until he returns to Holden ;)

Toolish
12th December 2006, 03:16 PM
I don't know what all the hullabaloo is about. Larkham would have punted him soon after anyway.

Larkham...WTF?

Winterbottom you mean, Larkham don't drive any more?

Fishman Dan
12th December 2006, 03:31 PM
Apologies - Ingall. I could have said "That little blonde pr!ck that drives a Ford" and you would have all known who i meant.

Go Holden.

990B Luva
12th December 2006, 04:11 PM

Then you would have noticed in the rear shot taken from Lowndes car Todd Kelly DELIBERATELY manouvering his car into Lowndes' rear 1/4 panel

dc68
12th December 2006, 04:19 PM
Then you would have noticed in the rear shot taken from Lowndes car Todd Kelly DELIBERATELY manouvering his car into Lowndes' rear 1/4 panel

So now both of the Kelly boys have bashed up poor little cwaigy....awww poor diddums.

When did that happen?

Oops hang on they made a deal with the JD team to take out his steering arm as well.

FFS will you poor losers drop it.

terryand
12th December 2006, 04:39 PM

Novice :-s

Terry.

Moe Norman
12th December 2006, 04:47 PM
Since when have you ever been unbiased, I think this is the first time

Virgal_Tracy
13th December 2006, 09:52 AM
As a ford fan I'm disappointed in the result but hapy that it didn't get changed on appeal. In every other round of the series Kelly would've got exactly the punishment that was disched out, a drive through penalty.

Plenty of arguments that say that it cost a championship but so could a punt in rnd 5 that sees you lose the title by 2 points.

There was definitely team play going on especially when Tander got the bad sportsmanship flag for deliberately slowing Lowndes down to let kelly catch up. Once the flag was shown Tander's times dropped by over a second.

Not a great way to win a championship but the rules pretty much allow for it.

I personally think more needs to be looked into the ownership of the holden teams. Supposedly Walkinshaw sold his ownership in HRT and Toll but he is there at every major meeting. To say that Skaife and the Kelly boys dad had the money to buy a race team is a little far fetched. HRT is conservatively valued at $10m

Grunt
13th December 2006, 09:58 AM
Have to agree with you there Vince. Something has to be done to the points system too. Racers are winners not plodders and that is what this seeries has evloved into. Even Russell Ingal conceeded last year that he had to change his style from a racer to a more concertative one to win the championship.

Fishman Dan
13th December 2006, 10:02 AM
OK - this season is over too. Lock it up.

So, how about the A1 GP series! NZ are kicking butt!!

Grunt
13th December 2006, 10:05 AM
OK - this season is over too. Lock it up.

So, how about the A1 GP series! NZ are kicking butt!!

And the Aussies are not going that crash hot are they
Ryan Briscoe is driving the wheels off the car but can't seem to match the pace of the other teams. Weird how all the cars are actually identical to see such a difference in between some of them. I know the teams and drivers abilities are different but Briscoe is not a bad driver at all. He has driven well in other series.

Fishman Dan
18th December 2006, 10:34 AM
YouTube?

Grunt
18th December 2006, 10:34 AM
Missed it I was working :(