PDA

View Full Version : Odyssey White Hot XG #5 CS

Ducky
10th December 2006, 04:07 PM
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/1459/xg5csqp7.jpg

Well, when I arrived at the golf course this morning, I had no intentions of purchasing a new putter. The plan was to keep the Scotty Cameron Newport 2 and simply learn how to putt. Of course, being the impulse buyer I am, things never quite work out as planned.

Anyway, whilst in the pro shop a friend of mine showed me an Odyssey White Hot XG #9 (Phil Mickelson's putter). Although it was aesthetically pleasing, the shape did not appeal to me (as I generally prefer a centre aligned shaft with no offset).

Previously, I had shown some interest in the original Odyssey White Hot #5 CS, and it just so happened that they [the pro shop] had the Odyssey White Hot XG #5 CS in stock. I had some time to waste before tee off, so I decided to try it out.

The putter is really easy to align. The outside two alignment guides match up with the outside of the golf ball, with the inside alignment guide matching up with the middle of the ball (which is handy if you draw lines around the equator of the ball).

Admittedly, the elastomer/urethane insert is quite soft in comparison to inserts found in other putters (such as the GSS insert) resulting in reduced feel, but the benefit is a consistent roll on the ball.

So how did it perform on the course? Well, after the first nine holes I had only fourteen (14) putts, which is quite significant as I am generally terrible at putting. The back nine holes wasn't as outstanding, but I had sixteen (16) putts before the match was decided.

The Odyssey White Hot XG #5 CS was purchased for $199.00, which is half of what I paid for the Scotty Cameron Newport 2. Overall, its money well spent. By no means is the Scotty Cameron Newport 2 a bad putter, its just that I feel the Odyssey White Hot XG #5 CS fits my putting style better (at least during the honeymoon period).

Thanks for reading.

Courty
10th December 2006, 04:31 PM
Interesting. I've decided that the reason I'm putting better with my Yes! putter is that it has no insert, giving me better feel. Or maybe I'm just a complete hack who has no idea. ;)

3oneday
10th December 2006, 06:36 PM
I'll sell the Heavy putter to you in a week Duck ;)

:lol:

Ducky
10th December 2006, 06:57 PM
I've called the bank and told them to put a stop to any transfers going from my bank account into yours.

;)

Jarro
10th December 2006, 07:11 PM
I'll sell the Heavy putter to you in a week Duck ;)

:lol:

told ya ... bloody Ho :roll: :p

Grunt
11th December 2006, 07:03 PM
Looks like my White Hot #7 but it centre shafted mine is the heel shafted