PDA

View Full Version : There's no place like home.....again!!

Flowergirl
5th December 2006, 09:13 AM
I think it was two years ago that I posted a similar thread.:oops:

We spent the weekend looking for a new house - found a great one in our price range. Worked out that it would cost us over $35,000 in fees, stamp duty etc ( we have two houses to sell) and thought is it worth it??????!!! By the time we pay the $35,000 and spend an extra $100,000 on the new place - that would mean about $10,000 a year we would lose from our retirement fund.
This would mean the difference of spending three months a year up north instead of freezing our butts down here in winter.

We have been in our house for twenty years - and looks like we will be there for another twenty. It's a great house - last time we were going to move we put in a new kitchen instead. Maybe I'll just buy a new couch.:smt002

Jarro
5th December 2006, 09:18 AM
I agree Reenie, there's no place like home alright.

Missus and I were considering moving a while ago, but we decided to stay. What clinched the deal for us was the fact that our youngest daughter (Lauren) is in grade 1 and goes to the school that backs directly onto our yard. I can watch her walk all the way to her classroom from my back fence.

Sometimes staying put is simply the best option ;)

TS
5th December 2006, 09:37 AM
Reenie. Other than the money, you need to decide how much you like your existing house and the house you looked at as well. How much further north are you going?

It is like buying cars. If it is only about economic, we would all be driving Hyundai.

Flowergirl
5th December 2006, 09:48 AM
TS.......not moving up north. Staying in the same area. The "up north" option was a yearly long holiday option during our winter.

We love our existing house. It has a few faults - but all houses do. The fact that I'm defending our current house just proves to me even more that I don't want to move.:mrgreen: It isn't a Hyundai - but it ain't a porshe:mrgreen:

TS
5th December 2006, 09:52 AM
If that is the case, why don't you spend money on changing a few things in your existing house. That could work out better than a new house.

Flowergirl
5th December 2006, 10:00 AM
If that is the case, why don't you spend money on changing a few things in your existing house. That could work out better than a new house.

Yep.......that's exactly what we are going to do. :-D

I'm nearly 50 and I've lived in three houses. One till I was married and then in our first home for ten years and now this one for twenty. I think I remember reading that the average person moves evry seven years.

TS
5th December 2006, 10:03 AM
Reenie. I am down in Melb playing golf in feb, will see if I can get down your way to catch up.

Flowergirl
5th December 2006, 10:04 AM
Reenie. I am down in Melb playing golf in feb, will see if I can get down your way to catch up.

Sounds good to me:mrgreen:

BrisVegas
5th December 2006, 10:18 AM
Missus and I were considering moving a while ago, but we decided to stay. What clinched the deal for us was the fact that our youngest daughter (Lauren) is in grade 1 and goes to the school that backs directly onto our yard. I can watch her walk all the way to her classroom from my back fence.

Sometimes staying put is simply the best option ;)

Yeah I'm constantly thinking I'd love to sell up and recoup some equity from our place, then do it all over again but have a smaller mortgage.

Trouble is, I love the spot we're in and I like the fact that we know lots of people in the area and Meghan's enrolled in school there etc. etc.. Plus, with the way house & land prices have gone, we'd end up spending much the same as we spent last time and get much less for it...

Have to agree with jarro... staying put is often the easiest & best option...

Grunt
5th December 2006, 03:40 PM
Well, we could have done the move into a newer/bigger place when Sydney was in the midst of the boom of early 2000. We decided to spend the money on where we were and make the place we are in more like home.
One day we will move for sure. Just not sure where that will be.
Could be anywhere.