PDA

View Full Version : Rust Proofing

Fishman Dan
29th November 2006, 11:25 AM
Anyone know anything about rust proofing for cars?

There seems to be a few options:

* Industry standard galvanised coating. Is this still the case?
* A spray-on wet applied substance to the under-side of the vehicle.
* A device that has a charge that provides top-to-bottom rust protection. It's a disc that is connected somewhere on the vehicle and provides a small current of sorts through the vehicle. It can be removed and fixed to another vehicle if we sell at a later date too. Comes with a lifetime warranty.

My old man figures that it's a little bit of smoke and mirrors, although the last (and mostest expensivest) option sounds great, or is it not worth it? We don't live near the beach either, so we're not overly exposed to rust enhancing elements.

PeteyD
29th November 2006, 11:28 AM
Nope. Use fish oil. Spray inside your doors and under body etc. costs a few bucks from supercheap (and you can get stink less versions). Do once a year. Does the same thing.

990B Luva
29th November 2006, 12:00 PM
I was gunna say the same thing Pete, Fish Oil. but unfortunately it is too late for my XR6 as rust is apperaing in the sills (gunna get it fixed though)

Ducky
29th November 2006, 12:01 PM
Don't worry, if it gets rusty just soak it in coke.

:smt045

Courty
29th November 2006, 12:14 PM
I was gunna say the same thing Pete, Fish Oil. but unfortunately it is too late for my XR6 as rust is apperaing in the sills (gunna get it fixed though)

Fords come factory-equipped with rust pre-installed. :mrgreen:

990B Luva
29th November 2006, 04:49 PM
Fords come factory-equipped with rust pre-installed. :mrgreen:

Well AU's did it was an option on EA-EL's :-D mine and dads came optioned up:mrgreen:

Grunt
29th November 2006, 07:38 PM
Dan, its a 3rd Party addon that the Dealers love buyers to take. It is now added with the paint protection & the upolstery protection.
Dont take it newer cars dont actually have enough metal in them to have to worry about rust like the older cars. Also Manufactuers actually put more effort to ensure no dissimillar metals are in contact with one another to start galvanic corrosion.