PDA

View Full Version : Week Commencing 27 November

Coffs_Hacker
28th November 2006, 10:12 AM
Had a round today with AndyP at Bonville. Nice to catch up again after the lakelands game early last year. Course was in really good cond but the greens were shockers to put on. Just a light core recently but the grass on the greens was about 1-2cm long making them very very slow. had about 7 3putt myself. Finished with a 85/73. Andy had 83/72.

Grunt
28th November 2006, 01:11 PM
Had a last minute round @ Wallacia this morning. Was a Tiger Pin day and they were not kidding with some of the placements. I had a putt off the green into a bunker. On one of the par 3's I hit it in regulation only to be told by the member I was playing with say "You have no chance at getting a par from there" I went on to 4 putt for a double bogie :( The pin placements were rediculous not one on a flat surface.
Another thing that you dont see everyday, they are in the middle of getting ready to build some new holes. Most clubs dont kill the greens before they are out of play! Had 2 holes that were just a brown surface more like a cricket pitch.
Overall my golf was not that bad considering the putting was a lottery. Had 30 points, left at least 10 putts out there so I guess the score could have been better.
Wallacia seems to be one of those courses you have to play several times to get a good idea of where to play and where not to play. There are plenty of places on the fairway of holes that don't give any access to the hole with your second shot.
Will not be back there till at least mid next year when the work on the new layout is complete and settled in. Having said that I will go back, the greens were good apart from the 2 that are going out of play.

Grunt
28th November 2006, 04:59 PM
Forgot to add how bloody hot it was, I was totally stuffed at the end of the round.

chappy1970
28th November 2006, 07:01 PM
Played Huntingdale this afternoon in the volunteers day, I wasn't one by my sister works for IMG and always gets a four ball after the event.

There were a few members from my club (Southern) as well as an assortment of others. The Southern blokes had there own little comp as well as the comp for the day. I got the chocolates for the Southern group with 37 points (1 wipe) and got beaten in a C/B for second in the main event by a Huntingdale member, a member from Riversdale took out first prize with 42 points.

We didn't play from the tips, but it is still a good test of golf. I left a few out there today, however I can feel some of the old mojo coming back.

If any of you guys/gals watched the last day of the Masters, you may have seen Badds calv a tee shot from the par 3 15th nearly over the fence. Well I stiffed my tee shot to 3 foot on the same hole.

Chappy :razz::razz:

jimandr
28th November 2006, 08:44 PM
Another thing that you dont see everyday, they are in the middle of getting ready to build some new holes. Most clubs dont kill the greens before they are out of play! Had 2 holes that were just a brown surface more like a cricket pitch.

Grant, which holes are being redone? Is it just the greens, or are the complete holes being redesigned and rebuilt(hopefully similar to the other new ones)? It might take 10 years, but Wallacia has potential to be a much better course.

Grunt
29th November 2006, 04:03 AM
The greens that were being killed off were 12 & 13. In that corner of the course there were stakes in the ground marking out greens and tees etc. The work was scheduled to start next week and the earthwork be in full swing by Xmas.

Jarro
29th November 2006, 02:41 PM
played today in a Stab comp at Nudgee with Perci.

shot 37 points in some pretty windy conditions.

Was happy with my driving, although i think i hit 7 fairways, and i putted pretty well.

AndyP
30th November 2006, 09:03 PM
28/11/2006, Bonville GC, Social.

1 birdie.
9 pars.
5 bogeys.
3 doubles.
Score 39-43-82 nett 71 (Par 35-37-72)

As CH said above, we had a hit at Bonville on Tuesday and had great fun. I could certainly get used to these quick rounds in a cart at the front of the field.

I couldn't ask to play any better. I kept the majority of my T-shots in play, and put most of the approaches in the general area of the green. In fact, I hit the green more than I have been in recent times, and if I missed, I was chipping very well. I also seem to have gotten over my terrible bunker play. Putting was pretty good considering the shaggy greens, but there were still a few shots left out on those greens.

I've brought the swing back a bit to avoid overswing, and it seems to be working. Just got to keep it that way.

Next round: 3/12, OZgolf Bash/BBQ @ Gailes GC.

Fishman Dan
3rd December 2006, 09:52 AM
Nett par after being 4 shots up after 10.

Had 3 6's in a row from 13-15 which brought me crashing back to earth and nett +1, before squaring at 17 and leaving the par putt on the last short on the lip. Pretty annoying because we had the best of conditions - 30 minutes after i left it pi$$ed down.

32 putts. Hit enough fairways to do a lot better, though i left myself dead over the last 6 or so holes.

Jarro
3rd December 2006, 01:34 PM
played another Stab comp this morning with PeteyD and dc68 at Gailes.

Had 31 points. Didn't hit it too bad, but the lost the plot on a couple of holes ... well, 3 actually (wiped them)

Hit a few fairways and lipped out a few putts too :roll:

Courty
3rd December 2006, 01:57 PM
I played in the monthly medal yesterday. I start sensationally and was even par after 8 holes (should have been under :roll:) after some great putting. A double on the 9th hole saw me finish the 1st 9 at +2. The 2nd 9 didn't go so well. I started bogey, triple, bogey, but steadied the ship to finish with an 81 (nett 74). Not brilliant golf, but I feel as though some form is gradually sneaking back in. The best part of the day was making a 10ft birdie putt on the last hole to win all the money for the day :twisted:

PeteyD
3rd December 2006, 03:52 PM
Played the Stab as mentioned by Jarro. 33 Points but played fairly sloppy. 2 wipes (1 OB :( and one terrible bunker ... ) Putting kept me in points. No three putts and a few 1 putts. Big thanks to DC and Jarro for letting me bring the kids around. They decided to behave themselves and had a good day until it got too hot.

Jarro
3rd December 2006, 03:54 PM
Big thanks to DC and Jarro for letting me bring the kids around. They decided to behave themselves and had a good day until it got too hot.

They were fine mate, a great pair of kids you have there :smt002

AndyP
3rd December 2006, 06:53 PM
03/12/2006, Gailes GC, Stab.

9/15 effective T-shots.
7/18 effective approaches.
1/7 up & down successes.
36 putts.
---------------
1 birdie.
7 pars.
7 bogeys.
3 doubles.
Score 44-41-85 stab 35pts (Par 36-37-73)

I'm starting to find consistency from tee to green now, which is pleasing, but to say my work around and on the greens today was disappointing would be an understatement. I just never seemed to adjust to the pace and was always hitting it long or overcompensating.
If it comes good with the current tee to green game, I might get some nice scores.

Next round: 09/12/06, Lakelands, OZgolf day.

oz
3rd December 2006, 07:50 PM
Horrible 84 in the medal yesterday. Just made 1 or 2 silly mistakes, and then lost my rhythm. I had four 6's and a 7 on the card.... :(

Moe Norman
3rd December 2006, 08:03 PM
Gailes 80 Gross 73 Nett

Happy with how I hit it today, but my short game really let me down and with a couple of new wedges in my bag I failed to take advantage of a few monster drives due to poor distance control. Eg. 8th hole centre fairway 40m out = missed green and same on 16.

10/15 Fairways
12/18 GIR
36 Putts
0/5 U&D
0/1 Sand Saves
2 Birdies.

Other bad aspect was playing the four Par 5's in 1 over when they are all easily reachable and I hit good drives on 3 of them. Getting up & down just once would have been nice too.

Coffs_Hacker
3rd December 2006, 09:37 PM
Monthly Mug at Coffs - turned with a 39 on the front and joked at half way saying i'll prob have a 49 on the back - :( 47 close. 86/74.

8/14 fir
10gir
39putts

BrisVegas
3rd December 2006, 09:52 PM
played Gailes today with the gang.

82 gross for 34 points.
10/14 fairways
8 GIR
34 putts
0 U&D of any description..
birdies on the short par 4, 4th and the short par 5, 9th.

chappy1970
4th December 2006, 08:19 AM
Played the Monthly medal at Southern on Saturday, boy was it windy.

As with the last few games I have played I am starting get a good level of consistency going, (I still have the occasional brain explosion though).

Went Out (Back Nine first) in 40 with 13 putts, which was great I was holing them from everywhere. Could have been even better except for 2 lipouts.

The front nine (my back nine for the day) has a lot less protection from the wind and when my group turned it was like playing into a hurricane. All said hit the ball well from tee to green except for the 6th, 175m par 3 into the teeth of the gale. Sprayed my tee shot into the crap, took to get out, put my 4th on and took 2 putts for a triple (only real poor hole for the day). Pared the 7th par 5 into the wind with a tricky 15 footer from off the green straight into the hole. 8th hole wind behind me, nailed the Sonartec 3wd about 250m, had a knock down into the green and bloody 3 putted for bogey then bogied the last after missing the fairway for only the third time all day. back nine 16 putts.

Gross 84
Nett 74
29 putts.
1 Triple (AAhhhhhhuuurrgghh)

Nett 66 won the day.

Game is coming along, thinking of maybe a few lessons over Christmas.

Chappy

goughy
4th December 2006, 03:27 PM
Played yesterday for just a shocking round, although it was for our bands end of year breakup so we weren't playing too seriously. Only 1 3 pointer I think, parred many of the holes I don't get a shot on. Driver out the window, irons out the window, putter out the window. Man it was bad.

But one of the things that erks me about middle ridge gc. The par 5 14th double dog leg. Now I know it's more about strategy and not a long hole. But I don't hit the ball that far. The last 2 time I've played it now I've hit choked up (almost to the steel) 3 woods off the tee and hit it too far nearly into the trees and way too far for the dogleg. The reality is I probably need to hit 3 iron off this tee, but that seems crazy to me. Just my thoughts.

davidp
4th December 2006, 08:40 PM
Played single stab yesterday at Gailes. It was my 2nd game in over a year. Cracked up laughing when I holed my chip on the first hole (Gailes 10th) for a 4 pointer. Drove it okay, had 3 wipes, 1 birdie, but got up and down 5 times which helped the score to 40 points. Won't be playing again before heading off to Malaysia in Feb, but will make sure I play there once a month.

It was good to see some of the gang again.

jimandr
9th December 2006, 06:03 PM
First game for a month, and it was as if I hadn't missed a day. That is, it was the same old rubbish. Reasonable play, but only good enough for 33 points.

Fairways: 8 of 14
Greens in Reg: 9 of 18
Putts: 34, 2 birdies, 1 threeputt
Up and Down: 1 of 7
Sand saves: 0 of 2.

Grunt
9th December 2006, 06:07 PM
Wasn't today in the week that started on the 3rd December?

THis thread really suffers when I don't start a new thread on the Monday or the tuesday each week.

Courty
9th December 2006, 10:45 PM
4 Ball stroke today. For the first time in quite a while I was quite happy with the way I played. I made 3 birdies and should have had a few more. I didn't putt out all of the holes, but I would estimate a total score of about +5 or +6. Nice to finally find some semblance of form after so long in the wilderness. Hopefully I remember to pack it when I come to Brissy next week.