PDA

View Full Version : Week Commencing 20 November

PeteyD
24th November 2006, 07:33 PM
Hey quiet week.

Played a corporate day at Indooroopilly East course today. 3 or 4 man ambrose teams, my team of 3 won it with a 73.
Nice day for golf ;)

Grunt
25th November 2006, 01:46 PM
Well played the monthly medal at Macarthur Grange this morning. Had one of those rounds where I felt like I was striking the ball well but could not score.:???:

96 Gross
78 Nett
7 Fairways
2 GIR
35 Putts

Also had one of those things happen that you get to talk about in the clubhouse. On the 9th Hole I hit a good drive to be about 190m out. I was just off the fairway. In front of me was an area that was ropped off to keep carts off. A stake was about 3 feet in front of me. I hit a solid 3i hybrid only to hear it hit the stake, I was waiting for me to have an Ogle and be hit by my own ball. After a couple of seconds I was wondering where it was going to end up. It travelled about 100m fwd and 50m out to the right in front of the 2nd green. The balls was almost cut in half:shock:. I will add a pic later.

AndyP
25th November 2006, 06:08 PM
Score: I count it as 48 times that Grunt has a post in the "what did you shoot?" forum starting with the word "well". It's really picked up recently, as he heads towards the half century.
2 more to go, you can do it......

BrisVegas
25th November 2006, 06:18 PM
Monthly Medal today off the blacks at Brookwater.

83 gross for 75 nett.
11 fairways
7 GIR
33 putts...

Felt like I played a lot better than I scored. Made nothing on the greens. I need to get used to the pace & break on these bloody greens. Was hitting my irons in close enough to have chances which was nice.

Jarro
25th November 2006, 06:29 PM
nice shooting Dion, 11 fairways at Brooky is great going

Courty
25th November 2006, 08:12 PM
Rubbish game (again) for 29pts. 'Nuff said. :roll:

Ducky
25th November 2006, 09:59 PM
Well, despite AndyP's dislike for people only posting when they do well, I am going to post anyway. I played in an individual stableford event. I had a total of 43 points (70 gross, -1), with 22 points (35 gross, -1) on the front nine, and 21 points (35 gross, even) on the back nine.

Today was the first time I have shot a sub-par round which I am relatively satisfied with, and it also takes my handicap down to 4.9, which means my goal of 4.0 by the end of the year is still achievable.

Its been a pretty good week for me.

Eag's
25th November 2006, 11:34 PM
Today was the first time I have shot a sub-par round which I am relatively satisfied with

Damn Ducky! being a bit hard on yourself there I think :confused:
Most people would kill for a sub par round.

BrisWesty
26th November 2006, 07:00 AM
33 points at Caboolture yesterday. Hit the ball really solidly, but didn't make any putts. Had to take a drop green side on the 5th, and my "spotter" wasn't able to stop the ball rolling into the water! Make that another lost ball. Couldn't buy a putt, but lagged very well for the first 3/4 of the round.
3 putted 3 greens coming home so that didn't help.
34 points at woodford last week. Tested out a different driver. Certainly longer, but I wasn't as accurate.
Playing Keperra this afternoon.

Nice going Ducky and Vegas.

goughy
26th November 2006, 04:07 PM
Low and behold I get to post in here again. 34pts, funny day. Was kind of happy with my play till I ran out of steam with 5 holes left to play. Swing was gone.

Only hit 1 fairway all day and I bogeyed it; most of my misses weren't even one of andy's effective tee shots. Plenty of punches, hooks, slices etc etc. 6 gir's, and 2 of those were hooks from the trees. Birdied the 170 and 180mtr par 3's tho. Irons were ok till I tired out. 30 putts with 3x3putts.

It was a stab today. I shot 84. Another guy shot 95. The other 2 in our group were into their late 70's or 80's and riding in a cart. One suffered from emphysema and maybe a dozen times during the round he was down on his knees. He was also on oxygen during much of the game. The other guy had suffered several strokes and of the two of them seemed the worse off. At one stage he was on the green and we were waiting for him to putt. He was just turning around on the spot and looking around. He couldn't find his ball which was at his feet. He then asked the flag attendant to speak up so he knew which way to putt. He was all of 15 feet away.

But I have to say that this was my first sub-4 hour round in a long time. I can't even remember the last time I went round in under 4 in a comp, even on a sunday. We kept up with the group of 3 in front of us, and rarely held the group up behind us. In fact the group behind only really caught us after we were waiting for the group in front. It's funny, 'cause it was a fast'ish round but because we were still waiting for the group in front at times it made it seem to drag out.

A hint for putting up with slow play that I've been using after reading a GD issue. I'm not pulling out my club until things are clear in front. Even if it took 5 minutes the clubs stay in the bag. It seems to make it easier than when I have the club in my hand and am just impatient to hit it.

BrisWesty
26th November 2006, 08:07 PM
22 points at Keperra - raised the bat too. Fortunately Rusty towed me around the course (he had 35 points after 16 points after 6 holes).
I played crap! Out of bounds, into water hazards etc. 5 pars but 10 double bogeys or worse for the day.
I know I can do better than that next time I play there.

But man it was hot going!

damoocow
26th November 2006, 09:31 PM
Westy - did you play the main 18 at Keperra ??

damoocow

Moe Norman
26th November 2006, 09:48 PM
Played 3 rounds this week which was nice.

Monday
Hyatt Coolum - it was in mint condition for the PGA, but greens were running a bit slow, probably thickening them up so they can really quicken them for the tourny.

32 Points, including making a 9 on the second, thank god we played Stab.

7 fairways
10 GIR
34 Putts

Tuesday - Noosa Springs - this place is good for novelty value and a bit of mindless fun on nice grass.

77 for 70 net, still got towelled up by the father in law though.

9 Fairways
13 GIR
33 Putts

Again had a blowout, making a quad on the first Par 3. Could have been a much better round.

Wednesday - Tewantin Noosa - One of my favourite tracks, as far as value for money goes its up there with Bribie as one of the best in QLD.

82 for Net 75

7 Fairways
11 GIR
38 Putts

My putting form was ok, but it deserted me late when I 4 putted the Par 3 7th (our 16th) then 3 jabbed 8 and 9 to follow up.

Overall I hit the ball ok all week, my putting form has remained much improved with no short misses except at Tewantin, but I'd still like to hole out for birdie more regularly from the 10-15 foot range. The only birdies I seem to be making are when I hit it stiff to a few feet or I get up and down or 2 putt a Par 5.

New club in the bag is also the new favourite, hopefully the love affair continues. Sonartec MD 19* Hybrid with X-Flex I-Rod. In 54 holes I reckon I hit it about 20 times for 19 perfect strikes and one fairway missed right. Goes about 230 and can go very high if required, love it!

Short game still needs work, but now I am hitting driver less and less I am hitting even more greens.

Courty
26th November 2006, 10:19 PM
I played in a 3-ball Charity Ambrose down in Innisfail today. It is amazing how good the course looks considering that they lost 2,500 trees in Cyclone Larry. :shock: My team shot a 66 (-4) with a combined handicap of 5 5/6. That was good enough for 4th place.
I also won an NTP on one of the par 4's which was my hole of the day. It's a 316m slight dogleg and today was playing downwind. I aimed straight at the green (just cutting the corner) and let rip. We wandered around fro a few minutes trying to find the ball about 30m short of the green and almost gabe up until I spotted it lying 1 metre from the front of the putting surface and 8 metres from the pin. I went with the putter from the fringe. It tracked around nicely towards the cup, caught the lip then got spat back out . :cry:

chappy1970
27th November 2006, 08:30 AM
Played early yesterday (the start of my new golf regime - read http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6231)

Finished 2 down in a PAR event
Played steady without staring, I feel the swing is getting to a more consistent level however I paid the penalty for some poor swings when I needed them the least. Rimmed the cup 6 times, which was giving me the right royal sh!ts. Was square going out and 2 down coming back, which included 2 outs on both par 5's on the back nine. (aaaaaaaaaaahhh).

One highlight I suppose was on the Par 4 18th, spanked a drive too far and was in heavy rough on the far right hand side of the fairway. In front of me was a bush (3 mtrs high) and a massive overhanging branch of huge guntree. Played a low hook with a 5 iron, came out great under the branch and was tracking towards the green, caught the greenside trap (bugger), had about 25 foot to the hole, came out great and rolled just past the cup and stopped 2 foot from the hole, dropped the putt for one of the more unsual par's I can remember. And that is the hole that gets me back next week.

I feel that my game is not far from getting back to where it once was and I'm planning to go in for a club fit before Christmas.

One thing that I have noticed over the last 6 months, the part of my game that I used to rely on the most has completely deserted me. That is from 100 out, I used to be able to hit a knock down with heaps of spin using anything from an 8 iron to a PW depending on the wind and what lay in front of me.
I could go at the flag with confidence that the shot would hit and stop every time. This may take a little work to get back, but once it is back I feel that I can get back into single digits.

Anyway got to get myself back up for a 1.00pm hit off at Huntingdale tomorrow. Just one of those sacrifices that I am forced to make.

Chappy

BrisVegas
27th November 2006, 08:44 AM
good to see you back in to it chappy. I went out yesterday and hit wedges for an hour or so (during bubs nap-time) just to try and get some feel back. It will take time, but it has to help in the long run. I don't believe it's hard to keep the full-swing grooved with only occasional games, but the low scores come from 100m and in...

Fishman Dan
28th November 2006, 09:30 AM
Well i tried making a comeback after 3 days off work with a virus. Was a hot one too.

Warmed up and felt ok, still had a 20 minute wait for my tee time. By that time i was already feeling drained. Playing partners (1 bloke, 2 ladies) were commenting after 4 that i was looking pretty ordinary.

Struck the ball well for 8 holes and walked off - there was no way i could do the hilly back-9 feeling like i was. I was 2-up on my handicap at the time.

Virgal_Tracy
28th November 2006, 10:13 AM
Played Liverpool on Sunday. 30 points. Driver was off to begin with but came good. Too inconsistent to score well. Did manage to birdie both the 1st and 8th.

1st played at 291m dogleg left. cleared the corner to be 10-15 out from the green. Chip and putt.

8th played at 444m par 5. Hit driver 7 iron in and 2 putt for birdie.

NOw for the consistency for the rest of the round.

Grip change has helped prevent the slice but I am finding that I am squaring the head up but with an outside in swing blocking shots to the left. Practice on grooving a swing should help.