PDA

View Full Version : Expressions of interest - Links Challenge.

Bruce
23rd November 2006, 11:34 AM
I've been mulling this over since the champs.

How many would make the trip down to play here in Victoria? How many other Vics would join us?

Cheap flights from Brisbane go to Avalon so I think Bellarine would be the most convenient choice. And so I would look at The Sands and 13th Beach (Ocean of course) for Saturday and Sunday rounds. I am thinking about a weekend in late April or May.

Back of a napkin economics:
Flights ~$220 (Jetstar Brisbane - Avalon return)
13th Beach ~$45
The Sands ~$85
Shared Accomodation ~$50

So if you are interested let me know - just want to gauge some numbers before I start making any real plans.

Also of note for planning purposes. Vic school hols are 5-22 April, Qld 6-16 April and NSW 6-22 April with Good Friday 6 April 2007. So definitely thinking post school holidays.

amanda
23rd November 2006, 11:38 AM
Hi Bruce - I'm likely to be able to get days off on either side - so sounds good for a driving weekend. (I'll have to check with Brad)

PeteyD
23rd November 2006, 11:39 AM
I would be keen. We have a long weekend in May (usually about the 6th) up here so that one might be the go.

Grunt
23rd November 2006, 11:41 AM
Can I add myself in pencil?
May is such long way out for me to plan, with all the speculation wit hwork at the moment.

Bruce
23rd November 2006, 12:17 PM
Perhaps late April as well.

peter_rs
23rd November 2006, 01:14 PM
Bruce you do the leg work and they will come.

Thats a yes for me

Jarro
23rd November 2006, 01:20 PM
mildly interested ;)

Flowergirl
23rd November 2006, 02:09 PM
Second Sunday in May is Mothers Day - a big no no for me.:evil:

Sounds like a good idea to me Bruce.:mrgreen:

If anyone wants to extend their holiday and spend some time on the Mornington Peninsula - Portsea, The Dunes, Moonah etc - there is room at our place.

chappy1970
23rd November 2006, 04:24 PM
Bruce,
Count me in

Chappy

damoocow
23rd November 2006, 10:39 PM
Bruce - why not make this the 2007 Ozgolf champs..there was as I recall a lot of interest in the champs relocating south next year [as long as people get some notice] - I am keen to play down there.....and as history has shown - if you do the initial legwork and call it the champs then that is what it becomes !!!......I nominate you as champs 2007 organiser !!

damoocow

AndyP
23rd November 2006, 11:03 PM
I disagree. We have less than 10 OZgolfers in Victoria that get to OZgolf days. In Qld, we have 30 plus (I've never actually worked it out).
That is why we get so many to the Champs up here.

It depends if we want the Champs to be in a different state OR want it to have the most people possible attend. I think the latter.

Bruce, I would consider myself highly unlikely to come to the Links Challenge next year, as the missus and I will be plenty busy at home with another addition.

damoocow
23rd November 2006, 11:11 PM
I disagree. We have less than 10 OZgolfers in Victoria that get to OZgolf days. In Qld, we have 30 plus (I've never actually worked it out).

It depends if we want the Champs to be in a different state OR want it to have the most people possible attend. I think the former.

Bruce, I would consider myself highly unlikely to come to the Links Challenge next year, as the missus and I will be plenty busy at home with another addition.

so according to your post you think the champs should be in a different state.!!..well done !!!

- I agree also.....I would not have thought that number of players constituted what was or not was the champs......I can't recall any precedent rather than someone putting their hand up to organise it [therefore becoming the champs for that year]...

damoocow

AndyP
23rd November 2006, 11:53 PM
Oh shit, I confused myself. Shouldn't play online poker and write up posts three words at a time simultaneously.
I'll edit my post to say "the latter".

In previous years, I thought it could move, but after two years of pretty big numbers, I think it should stay in Qld. I think it is about getting as many of us together as possible.

just
24th November 2006, 06:53 AM

It depends if we want the Champs to be in a different state OR want it to have the most people possible attend. I think the latter.

Congratulations Andy:smt038. Does this mean your days as a HO are over?:smt044

AndyP
24th November 2006, 07:51 AM
Does this mean your days as a HO are over?:smt044
Sure. No more Vokeys for me.

Flowergirl
24th November 2006, 08:24 AM
Shut up damoocow - I love my excuse to holiday up north each year:twisted: .

It doesn't have to be "the champs" - just a golf day.

Bruce
24th November 2006, 10:53 AM
Damn straight Reenie! I have already ditched the cricket club's trip for 2007 in favour of going north for the champs. I had such a good trip I want to try and reciprocate with an offering.

Champs needs to have be accessible to the bulk of the members and for the moment that means Qld. If we get 20 to this thing down south I will be amazed.

Golf_Novice
24th November 2006, 11:24 AM
Why don't you try a State of Origin kind of event? Have everyone play in their own states and the top 2 players or something then meet at a different course/state each year to have a Major winner?? Could be something totally separate from the Champs obviously....

I dunno - just an idea to throw out there.

BrisVegas
24th November 2006, 11:51 AM
Bruce - why not make this the 2007 Ozgolf champs..there was as I recall a lot of interest in the champs relocating south next year [as long as people get some notice] - I am keen to play down there.....and as history has shown - if you do the initial legwork and call it the champs then that is what it becomes !!!......I nominate you as champs 2007 organiser !!

damoocow

Sounds fair to me, although I'd caution gainst hosting it at Torquay Sands. It can be brutal in the wind and there's sand everywhere.... Sound familiar???

13th Beach's two courses might work... Are you on ISG Bruce? Try sucking up to Cashmore for a discounted rate for a group.

Bruce
24th November 2006, 12:28 PM
ISG Vouchers turn 13th Beach from $55 to $45

Ona
24th November 2006, 01:34 PM
Interested Bruce. Maybe Barwon Heads could be an option to complement the Beach.

Bruce
24th November 2006, 01:38 PM
Barwon Heads seems to be weekdays only unless you are a "House Guest".

AndyP
24th November 2006, 01:46 PM
Hire a mini-bus and play Warrnambool/Port Fairy.

Choppa
24th November 2006, 01:55 PM
hmm what was this thread about again.........donesn't matter, keep posting Ona :shock:

Toolish
27th November 2006, 10:02 AM
hmm what was this thread about again.........donesn't matter, keep posting Ona :shock:

I have that same problem with every post Adam makes.

Bruce, put me down in pencil mate.

dc68
27th November 2006, 11:10 AM
HHmmmmm put me down in fairly solid pencil.

PeteyD
27th November 2006, 11:13 AM
I am seriously considering a family holiday -- drive down there and check out snowies on the way and go along the GOR etc. Put the truck to good use. 3 weeks off work sounds like a great idea to me ;) hehe

Bruce
27th November 2006, 11:23 AM
I think that's enough interest to call it a goer.

I'll make a start on the legwork so travellers will have as much notice as possible.

peter_rs
27th November 2006, 07:16 PM
Love your work Bruce.

damoocow
27th November 2006, 10:08 PM
[QUOTE=Bruce]I think that's enough interest to call it a goer.

QUOTE]

I think that's enough interest to call it the 2007 Ozgolf Champs!!!..if so I am keen...

damoocow

Ona
28th November 2006, 08:34 PM
I have that same problem with every post Adam makes.
glad my writing has such a strong effect on you two, they always said I could be an author if I wanted. it was either that or a laundry hand, think I made the right choice.

sin city... damn right :twisted:

Choppa
29th November 2006, 09:17 PM
Yes your writing.......that's it......

peter_rs
5th January 2007, 12:52 PM
justing keeping this in everyones mind

dc68
5th January 2007, 12:57 PM
Maybe a poll for dates?

1st w/e in may is a public holiday up here.

PeteyD
5th January 2007, 12:58 PM
Polls are the debil

Bruce
5th January 2007, 12:58 PM
Has everyone got their club's fixture books yet?

PeteyD
5th January 2007, 01:00 PM
Nope

oz
8th January 2007, 09:30 PM
May is a long way ahead to confirm, but I am good for a pencilled entry. :)