PDA

View Full Version : Ashton X-1 driver - Review

Jono
29th August 2004, 05:59 PM
OK. I've had a handful of sessions at the range and 2 rounds with it, so I think it is safe for me to write a review of my Ashton driver. I'll compare it with my other driver (SMT Spectrum, 7*, ICON V2 stiff flex).

For reference: www.ashtongolf.com

Specs: 460cc, 7.5* loft, square, 60mm face height

Shaft: Accuflex ICON V2 regular flex

Looks: Stunningly simple, black, and beautiful. Classical pear shape with one of the deepest faces in the market. At 460cc, it is a bit big for my taste, but I'm sure I'll get used to this. If, however, they brought out a slightly smaller head with the same deep face (i.e. smaller crown from the top but similar height), say 390-420cc, I'd probably prefer that. In the looks department, Ashton beats the Spectrum hands down (although Spectrum is closer to the size that I like).

Feel: Solid AND Hot. Both the Ashton and the Spectrum feel solid (not tinny like some thin face drivers), but the Ashton feels a bit hotter off the face.

Trajectory: This is important for me because I tend to hit the driver high. The 7.5* Ashton gives me a slightly more boring trajectory than the 7* Spectrum. This is when both drivers are hit off the "hot spot" (which is not necessarily the center of the club face). This is somewhat surprising since the Ashton has higher loft and weaker shaft (regular vs stiff in Spectrum).

Distance: The Ashton is slightly longer than the Spectrum on "hot spot" hits. About 5 to 10 meters. I was outdriving a friend who I know has higher swingspeed than me (by 5 to 10mph). He was hitting 1 to 2 less club than me on par 3's, but I was driving longer. On one hole, I outdrove him by 30 meters. :shock: And no, he didn't mishit his drive ... :wink: It must be the optimal launch angle & spin thing, because the COR on the Ashton has been shown to be USGA conforming.

Forgiveness: Having a bigger head, you'd think that Ashton was more forgiving than the Spectrum. I think it IS more forgiving vertically (ie. shots hit either slightly too high or low on the face), but not horizontally (ie. shots hit towards the heel or toe of the club). I'd say the Ashton and the Spectrum tie in this department.

Accuracy: I don't know whether it is the smaller head, but the Spectrum wins in the accuracy department. I feel I can close the face better through impact with the Spectrum. With the larger Ashton head, it feels like if I get lazy through impact, I'll block the shot out to the right. The difference in shaft flex may play a part in this department.

Summary: Ashton X-1 driver is a very attractive and hot driver (hmmm ... sort of like Tez's avatars ... :lol: ). BUT, at this stage, I find the Spectrum slightly more accurate and easier to handle. The X-1 will stay in my bag for the time being, but I'll do another head to head comparison at the range after a month or so. Hopefully by then, I'd have become more accustomed to the larger head. If I still find the Spectrum more accurate, then I have no choice but to go back to the Spectrum. I don't care how attractive the X-1 is, accuracy is more important. :wink:

OK. I hope this didn't make everyone fall asleep. :lol: If you are in the market for a new driver, the Ashton X-1 is definitely worth a look.

terryand
29th August 2004, 07:35 PM
Nice review Jono :smt045 :smt023

It will be a big ask to knock the Spectrum out of the bag the way I have seen you hit it :-k

Also I see on the SMT website that they have a heap of new gear coming in 2005, can't wait to see what they come up with :-k

Terry.

Ona
29th August 2004, 07:52 PM
good stuff jono :D

how's the finnish on the face standing up to all the beltings?

Jono
30th August 2004, 05:08 PM
Tez,

The Spectrum is fighting hard to keep it's place in the bag ... :wink: The Ashton is slightly, but definitely longer on good hits. It's distance vs control, I guess. We'll see which one performs better after a month. Whatever I turn up to Ozgolf championships with will be the winner.

BTW, I compared the Ashton with the SMT 455 DB. The SMT has a larger crown (i.e. looks bigger from the top) but the Ashton has a deeper face. I know that you have a relatively high ball flight with your driver also. You may want to have a look at the lefty Ashtons.

Jono
30th August 2004, 05:11 PM
Onabreak,

The finish is holding up great (so far). Of course, you lose the shine where the ball is hit most often, and you get the usual wear on the sole in the fairway woods. The finish on the Ashtons ranks right up there with the top OEMs.