PDA

View Full Version : Callaway Online Store

Courty
21st November 2006, 09:51 AM
Clubmakers have been loath to directly market their clubs to consumers for fear of alienating their retail customers. Callaway is attempting to skirt that problem by channeling their online sales through retailers.

When you go to the Callaway "shop" site you're presented with almost all of Callaway's clubs and accessories as well as a good portion of the Odyssey putter line. As you make your selection, you can choose many custom options like length, shaft and even the number of wraps on a grip.

Once the order is placed, Callaway notifies retailers (who have signed up for the program) in your area. They respond if they have the item in stock and Callaway then chooses the retailer who will fill the order. Shipment is to occur within 24 hours of the order being placed. Thus, your order is supposed to come from the nearest possible location saving shipping time and costs.

http://shop.callawaygolf.com/default.aspx

Interesting way of doing things. Obviously, it will be geared towards the US of A initially. Whether we see the benefits of this retailing scheme in Oztralya remains to be seen.

Courty
21st November 2006, 09:58 AM
After perusing teh store, I have found that they are offering a huge range of options. I went through the 'Build & Buy' process on an FT-3. I could choose hand/ loft/ bias/ shaft type (6 brands/ dozens of models)/ shaft length/ grip type (5 types)/ number of wraps.

It is a Ho's paradise!

3oneday
21st November 2006, 10:00 AM
Yeah, but it's unlikely a local store will have an Ft3 with Diamana or something like that, so it will be a slow process to receive anything other than the normal gear I reckon.

I was told the local stores have to actually bid for the business, how that works I am unsure ?

just
21st November 2006, 06:02 PM
Callaway is already a market leader in web trading I would have thought with Callaway Pre-Owned:
http://callawaygolfpreowned.com/default.aspx
Does any other company do this?

3oneday
21st November 2006, 06:34 PM
I don't think Callawaypreowned is actually a Callaway company ?