PDA

View Full Version : Computer help please.

wavemaker
14th November 2006, 08:24 AM
Good morning all. I need a little assistance with my puters. I have 3
of them all accessing internet through 1 modem and a 6 port switch. I want to be able to print stuff off one of the remote computers at the central computer. Also access docs on the remote ones. Is this possible. Thanks in advance. Regards James.

Fishman Dan
14th November 2006, 08:42 AM
Wavey, in short:

It's possible. But PC A (with the printer) needs to be turned on for it all to work. You need to look into 'Sharing' the printer across your network.

Alternatively you can get a little network print-server device that will do this for you, and plug into your switch (instead of being reliant on one of the other PC's).

Post your preferred option and we'll work from there ;)

goughy
14th November 2006, 08:44 AM
Shouldn't be a problem I guess, although is the switch a router, or do you have to actually flick some sort of switch??

ATM our 2 computers are networked but the second one accesses the internet through the other and also prints through the other directly to the printer.

I think robyn just added the printer to the network. If you go to each computer and ask it to search for networks on the system, they should find each other and then set themselves up. Then add the printer to the network.

When our laptop turns up we'll have everything conected via a router and each computer will have access to eachother as well as my palm.

goughy
14th November 2006, 08:45 AM
Slight threadjack, but can you connect the printer to the network via a router and then each computer can access it that way, rather than having one turned on all the time?? Just wondering.

Fishman Dan
14th November 2006, 09:12 AM
Goughy - yes ;)

See if this link works;

http://www.ht.com.au/tree/11348/sort/PA/list.hts?keyword=print+server

wavemaker
14th November 2006, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the responses. The main computer with printer in my office is always on. I have a TP LINK10/1008d Fast Ethernet Switch. If it can be done without the need to purchase more stuff, that is the option I want. The share option is ticked to share. Under that check box there is a share name panel. I am wondering what should be in that box. Any help appreciated.

Fishman Dan
14th November 2006, 11:37 AM
Wavey - the Share name will basically be the name of the printer as you see it on the attached PC. You can change the share name to be a little 'nicer'.

Now you need to be aware of the name of the PC with the printer attached. The nerdy name of the attached printer as it will be known on the network is;

\\[computer name]\[shared printer name]

So from the other PC's that are networked go through the Add Printer 'wizard';

* Go to Start - Settings - Printers & Faxes
* Add New Printer
* Network Printer
* Connect to This Printer (option 2)

This is where you need to type in the PC and printer name. I.e.

\\computername\sharedprintername

(If you click "Next" at this point with nothing entered it will show other networked PC's for you to select).

Click Next and finish and it should all go swimmingly, remembering of course if you want to print to that printer, the PC needs to be turned on ;)

Trung
14th November 2006, 11:55 AM
check at Harvey Norman..

I bought a D-Link wireless router with 4 port wired + in-built USB printer server port for around $120

I bought it last month. Not sure of model number now....

Trung
14th November 2006, 11:58 AM
http://www.dlink.com.au/Products.aspx?Sec=4&Sub1=18&Sub2=42&PID=61

wavemaker
14th November 2006, 01:07 PM
Thanks again. Not having any joy so far. Neither of the other comps can find the main comp. Is there a port setting that I need to check?

Fishman Dan
14th November 2006, 01:31 PM
Wavey - do you know if all of your computers are in the same 'Workgroup'?

wavemaker
14th November 2006, 01:52 PM
Thanks Dan, I have been in there and made them all the same. If you are using the switch to access internet, that doesnt mean that they are neccesarily talking to each other does it? So is it really a network? Faffed if I know. Your help is most appreciated. I swear I am going to do some study on these things. Dont like being beaten by a machine.

Fishman Dan
14th November 2006, 03:03 PM
No probs Wavey.

FWIW - If they are using the switch to access the internet, they generally aren't sharing information with each-other. File/printer sharing is essentially done using a different protocol, although it can be configured to be one big, happy family.

If you want any more help shoot me a PM.

Choppa
15th November 2006, 04:07 PM
Wavey, are you running a software firewall? I have been buggered by this in the past.
Just a thought.

wavemaker
15th November 2006, 04:20 PM
Choppa, thanks for your response. I have checked that out and it seem that the settings I have should allow printer sharing.

wavemaker
15th November 2006, 05:12 PM
Fishman is a foot, sorry, read leg end. All computers printing happily and talking nicely. Thanks again.

Fishman Dan
15th November 2006, 06:13 PM
Ooh. Contributed to 2 nerdy threads. I'm going to get a reputation of a dumpy, Coca-cola drinking, balding computer nerd who can't play golf to save himself.

Luckily I had 44 pts on the weekend. :p

AndyP
15th November 2006, 08:50 PM
Could you be the next Most Improved, Fish?

Ducky
15th November 2006, 08:51 PM
And we're never going to stop hearing about it.

terryand
15th November 2006, 09:38 PM
Luckily I had 44 pts on the weekend. :p

How many holes did you play Fishy :smt002

Terry.

Fishman Dan
16th November 2006, 12:08 AM
You really want to know how many wipes i had? ;)

Ducky - i've put up with plenty here.... some of them have even seen me play! Sit back and enjoy the payback :D

AP - I don't know how to answer that. I'll get back to you shortly.