PDA

View Full Version : Week Commencing 6th November

Coffs_Hacker
7th November 2006, 08:44 PM
Played a social round today with Jimandr while he is up on Hols. Played at Nambucca for the first time - lots of water being on an island and all :) made the scenery quite nice - greens were really nice and fairways in pretty good cond.

Cricket score on the front with a fair few in the river :) but played the back nine 2over - Jim had a 5over for the round and played quite well. Great day too after a week of rain

AndyP
8th November 2006, 12:03 AM
You're racking up the OZgolf games now, CH. Grunt a couple of weeks ago, Jim this week and me in a few more weeks.

jimandr
8th November 2006, 11:34 PM
I had a clever spiel rehearsed about how I never post social rounds, but I was going to make an exception for a round I played on Tuesday, but I find that Coffs has already mentioned it.

I am going to post more about my latest journey to the north coast of NSW in the Courses thread, but Coffs and I did have a game at Nambucca Heads on Tuesday, I did play reasonably well for a 5 over score (equals 38 points), and we thoroughly enjoyed our game.

We didn't play a match, or have any wager on the game, but I would've won the front nine very easily and then the total game, but Craig did the right thing by resetting his goals after nine and then played a very good back nine.

Nambucca isn't anything special, but it is a course that looks really good on a sunny day.

Flowergirl
9th November 2006, 07:03 AM
Par yesterday in our ladies comp. Minus 3 - bad putting - again.:evil: Spent over an hour practising putting after the game and had a lesson on my swing. My pro is trying to get me to draw instead of the horrid slice that is creeping back into my game. Had an hour and half lesson - he does talk a bit too - for $35!!!! A good bottle of red going his way methinks.:smt002

Currently on 16.4. One game to go and back to 17. In over four years of playing comp I've never gone out. I'll have to work hard next match to keep that record going.

TS
9th November 2006, 05:40 PM
Played with Jono at Riverside Oaks today. On the first hole, the DOC was on for 2 follow up by an easy 4 putt. This is after Jono want to play for $100 on each 9. I had 20 points on the front 9 while the Doc has 16. I thought I have him well cover and it is money in the pocket. The SOB played the back nine 4 under off the stick with 1 eagle and 3 birdes. He finishes with 27 points on the back 9 for a total of 43 points.

amanda
9th November 2006, 06:07 PM
Bloody oath! Great work Jono - looking forward to Sunday @ Bexley :)

Eag's
9th November 2006, 06:47 PM
Played with Jono at Riverside Oaks today. On the first hole, the DOC was on for 2 follow up by an easy 4 putt. This is after Jono want to play for $100 on each 9. I had 20 points on the front 9 while the Doc has 16. I thought I have him well cover and it is money in the pocket. The SOB played the back nine 4 under off the stick with 1 eagle and 3 birdes. He finishes with 27 points on the back 9 for a total of 43 points.

Holy shit Batman!! :shock: great stuff Jono :smt023

BrisVegas
9th November 2006, 08:16 PM
mental note. never play jono for money.

great scoring!!

TS
9th November 2006, 08:23 PM
mental note. never play jono for money.

great scoring!!

I think that is why Jono is not working as a doctor at the moment. So he can be a full time golf hustler.

Jono
9th November 2006, 09:08 PM
Ha, Ha. I thought Tony had me good after the front nine. Standing on the 10th, I decided to forget about the score and just hit some good shots. The back nine was a bit of a blur ... I just remember feeling comfortable over the ball. Is that what they call "in the zone"? :lol: Anyway, very enjoyable round. 8)

Grunt
9th November 2006, 09:33 PM
Well played Jono.

The week is a first for sometime, Grunt not playing a round in a week :shock:; yet:-D. I have not played a game since Riverlakes. Might go to the range tomorrow to practice though. Worked overtime today (12 hours $$$) to pay for some of the costs from my little trip.

Jarro
9th November 2006, 10:35 PM
nice shootin' Doc 8)

AndyP
11th November 2006, 06:51 PM
I had 1 under off the stick today. I was hitting wedge into every green and finished with 2 bogeys and three 3 birdies (2 to finish). Should have had a clean sheet and more birdies, but the greens were furry, so the putting was a bit of pot luck. Just a lazy 53. BTW this was at Corinda Pitch & Putt.

I was using a ProV1x, and I was amazed at how much it appeared to be checking, although it didn't feel soft when I hit it.

Had Mitchell with me as well. He'd occasionally hit off on the tee, then pickup and attempt to putt out from an inch or two. He was pretty good, apart from the duck distraction. 18 holes was probably a bit too much, and a long way for a little boy to walk. He did some nice flag attending work too. He'll sleep well tonight.

peter_rs
11th November 2006, 08:17 PM
Play virginia today.

low light of the day 4 putt double on a par 5. High light birdie the next hole which is the hardest on the course.

When I put my name down it was a single stab this morning they called out that it was the monthly medal..... joy stroke with a un tested driver in the bag. ended up with 83 net 68 (12 out 253... 63 was the low score). Guess I have started the defence of my MIP dropped 0.9 so I'm of 14. Its funny If I hit the ball like that around riverlakes I could have had a net 90 ;)

The pro launch red shaft rocks. you have to try it.

AndyP
11th November 2006, 08:52 PM
Well done, Pete.

How did you get on Virginia on a Saturday? Do you have reciprical and do they let you play? I think I have half reciprical, but I don't think I can play in the members comps.

BrisVegas
11th November 2006, 09:03 PM
87 gross, 79 nett around Brookwater today. 0.1 closer to a hcap I can manage!

Jono
11th November 2006, 09:15 PM
Played Magenta Shores with TS.

Won more money off TS. ;)

Had a 14 point front nine but came back on the back with 22 for total of 36 points. Think TS had 28 points.

Tip: If you are feeling down about your golf, play TS for money. Sure way to cheer you up. He, he ... :lol:

amanda
11th November 2006, 09:23 PM

Jono is turning into the new Trung - I'm sort of glad he can't make golf tomorrow - I don't have any money spare to lose!

Grunt
12th November 2006, 10:24 AM
Played Mac Grange yesterday. Played pretty good considering the swing changes and drills brought on by the lesson. Hit some great shots alongside the average ones. Ended up having 32 points for the day with 2 wipes that unfortunately were not caused by poor shots but by the bounces of the ball you only get @ Mac Grange.
Highlight of the day was an eagle putt on the 7th lipping out. I hit a good/average drive followed by an awesome 5 wood to pin high. Birdie was good but eagle would have been even better. Putted ok but the greens were so much slower than what I had played on up the coast, I left alot of putts short all day.
The lessons are working, yesterdat was the first time since the handicap drop that I played to my handicap or close to it in a comp round.

Coffs_Hacker
12th November 2006, 10:38 AM
37 pts yesterday - 15 front 22 back. Another poor day off the tee. Greens played a lot slower ( Prob because of the 10days of rain??) missed 5 easy bird putts. Maybe next week it will come

Courty
12th November 2006, 02:47 PM
31 pts yesterday. Played very solid on the front 9 for a lazy 18 pts, then died in the ar5e with 1 point in the last 3 holes to finish with 31 total. I'm not concerned though. If I can get 0.1 back and still win all the money, I'm happy. :twisted:

TS
12th November 2006, 03:25 PM
Played Magenta Shores with TS.

Had a 14 point front nine but came back on the back with 22 for total of 36 points. Think TS had 28 points.

Tip: If you are feeling down about your golf, play TS for money. Sure way to cheer you up. He, he ... :lol:

What I want to know is how can Jono say his handicap is 9 with a straight face after he had 43 points on Thursday.

amanda
12th November 2006, 05:39 PM
For the first time ever, Brad and I walked off the course before our round was finished at Bexley today.

It's a par 65 course - very short and a typical game is meant to be 3.5 hours. After 2 hours we had only played 6 holes :shock:

It took almost 4 hours to get to 14 holes. If we played the last 4 we were going to be late for my mum's birthday lunch - so we bailed at hole 15.

The members we played with said it was typical for a Sunday - Saturdays are meant to be fast with all of the younger members but Sundays was always slow with oldies.

Safe to say that we won't be going back to Bexley for a fair while unless we are teeing off pre-7am.

PeteyD
12th November 2006, 06:04 PM
Had 36 pts around Reddy bay today. 37 putts :( had a heap shaving the edge or stopping right next to the cup. Should be better as I get used to the new putter. New irons were good today.

98 off the stick with 2 washes, both 1 shot out of a score. Fairly happy with the way I played. Poor management (trying to be a smartass once or twice) probably cost me 4 or more points.

Bugga, just looked on golf link and 39 points won today. Oh well next Saturday should be my next comp round.

peter_rs
12th November 2006, 06:19 PM
Nice work peted.

Ap..... Virginia is one of the many clubs on Toowoomba's list.

Next sat is a open day stab comp.

jimandr
12th November 2006, 08:05 PM
I notice Fishman Dan hasn't posted in this thread this week.

I know how he went because I read his name in today's paper.

Come on Dan, tell us the secret behind your 44 points and victory.

AndyP
12th November 2006, 08:32 PM
If he did report, then he's one of those that only reports when they do well. We don't need that sort....

BrisVegas
12th November 2006, 10:25 PM
Played 18 this morning in 90 minutes! Didn't even feel like I was playing that fast. On my own, in a cart, hit it pretty straight for a change, so was a quick round!

cazandpaul
13th November 2006, 05:45 AM
42 points in a 4B with Caz which was good for a ball - very unhappy day on the greens for both of us.

Fishman Dan
14th November 2006, 08:37 AM
I notice Fishman Dan hasn't posted in this thread this week.

I know how he went because I read his name in today's paper.

Come on Dan, tell us the secret behind your 44 points and victory.

Thanks Jim ;) Which paper? Do you still have it - i don't get the Sunday rang and wouldn't mind a copy.

Several weeks of good ironplay finally combined with some bullets off the driver. I've made a discovery with driver that unlocked distance and accuracy with the big stick - just a mental effort to get my hands over during the shot and it's made a huge difference.

In short - started with a 3-putt 5/2, ended with a chip-in.

44 points (22/22)
7 GIR's (felt like more, just missed a few)
30 putts
2 birdies including the par 5 5th that usually ruins my round. When i made 4/4 i knew something was brewing.

The key was the 8th. A BBQ put on my the ex-Servicemen - a snag sandwich, a beer and a chat. The Par 3 8th is a short par 3 where i put it against the boundary fence. Played the most awkward shot to get it onto the green, and sank the 15 footer for 3/3.

I made 5 consecutive 3 pointers after the beer and snag including the Index 18, so i was -1 through those holes (includes a narrow birdie miss on Index 2 hole). I was 7-up through 12 holes! :shock: A 3-putt double on 16, followed by an up'n'down 3 pointer on 17, and a chip-in 3 pt'er on 18.

$100 for the non-Serviceman win, and the overall winner of the Frank Morgan Trophy. When i saw that i was quite shocked.

jimandr
14th November 2006, 09:32 PM
Thanks Jim ;) Which paper? Do you still have it - i don't get the Sunday rang and wouldn't mind a copy.

$100 for the non-Serviceman win, and the overall winner of the Frank Morgan Trophy. When i saw that i was quite shocked.

The golf results appeared in both Sunday papers. Somebody else that you know must still have one. I'll keep one for you, but I'm not sure when we will see each other next.

Anyway, this was great scoring. Golf is heaps of fun when things go right.

Jono
14th November 2006, 11:14 PM
The golf results appeared in both Sunday papers. Somebody else that you know must still have one. I'll keep one for you, but I'm not sure when we will see each other next.

Anyway, this was great scoring. Golf is heaps of fun when things go right.

Judging by the Fishman's attendance rate at Ozgolf days, I would estimate late March 2008. :mrgreen:

Well played Fishman ... 8)

oz
15th November 2006, 07:30 AM
Playing the slowest medal round of my life on Saturday, I dropped 10 shots in 5 holes on the back 9 (including an 8 on a par 3!), and finished with an 85. I actually played pretty solid on the front 9, but standing in the fairway for 5 minutes waiting on every shot just took it's toll.... There's always next week, I guess.

AndyP
17th November 2006, 01:33 PM
Ap..... Virginia is one of the many clubs on Toowoomba's list.

Next sat is a open day stab comp.
I have reciprical rights at Virginia too. I was told that I could play in their Saturday comp if it was an invitational. Their fixture book is available online.

Grunt
18th November 2006, 01:27 PM
Well played Mac Grange this morning. 34 points.
The changes to the bag meant I played the par 4's way smarter. Still lacking a bit of control with my irons. Once the lessons start to get the changes to stick I can see even more shots off the handicap. Had some pars today from really horrible positions, chipping was way better too.

87 Gross
69 nett
3 Fairways
8 up & downs
1 GIR
29 putts

Game is really coming along nicely:)

oz
18th November 2006, 08:32 PM
42 Points at Thurgoona today. Started with bogies on 1 & 2 for a point each, and then came good. Bogeyed 1,2, 16 & 17, and birdied 4,7,8 & 18 to finish up level for the day. Putted solid (except for a 3 putt on 17), and generally kept it in play most of the way round. Making some handicap progress again is a nice feeling.

Courty
18th November 2006, 10:26 PM
The event was 4BBB stableford today. I started very scratchy but reigned it in on the 2nd 9. We only had 38 pts which is rubbish for a 4BBB.

shazza_rs
19th November 2006, 06:42 PM
Played Riverlakes 18th November

Had 42 points (21/21)... CCR 38 points.... should lose 1.2.... down to 14.8

19th November - played nudgee

Had 29 points (20/9).... started on the 10th... was going okay then the steam ran out. .... out to 14.9.... still not lower than pete :(

goughy
21st November 2006, 07:25 AM
The event was 4BBB stableford today. I started very scratchy but reigned it in on the 2nd 9. We only had 38 pts which is rubbish for a 4BBB.

I'm sure years ago that my partner and I had 36pts in a 4bbb with us each scoreing 36pts personally. Was very frustrating, as when one of us had a good score the other did the same. When we had a bad score we both had one. Seems really strange in a 4bbb.