PDA

View Full Version : Afl 2024

Hatchman
20th March 2024, 09:37 AM
Season has already kicked off with some clubs clubs having played 2 games while others only 1. Round 0 what a great idea AFL House ....... yes sarcasm.

Both of last years Grand Finalists have started 0-2.

AndyP
20th March 2024, 09:44 AM
Round 0 was a great success. Just ask them.

Is it a coincidence that GWS and GC started with two home games?

3Puttpete
20th March 2024, 09:49 AM
The mighty Blues have 2 wins after round 1. It’s a sign of the dominance to come.

AndyP
20th March 2024, 09:57 AM
The mighty Blues have 2 wins after round 1. It’s a sign of the dominance to come.
With an 8 point gap and big percentage gain on 9 sides, they are almost guaranteed finals.

I'm ignoring the AFL provided ladder, and have Port Adelaide on top of my ladder on the fridge using the old match ratio method that they had when there were an odd number of sides.

3Puttpete
20th March 2024, 10:17 AM
With an 8 point gap and big percentage gain on 9 sides, they are almost guaranteed finals.

I'm ignoring the AFL provided ladder, and have Port Adelaide on top of my ladder on the fridge using the old match ratio method that they had when there were an odd number of sides.

Because Port have won 100% of their games?

That’s about the only thing the seppos have figured out.

AndyP
20th March 2024, 10:44 AM
Because Port have won 100% of their games?Yep. 100% win record and highest percentage. 8 sides on 100%, Melbourne on 50%, and the other 9 on 0%.

ParkRoyal
20th March 2024, 10:47 AM
First time in V/AFL history that grand finalists have start 0-2 (and no team has gone back to back after being 0-2)

ParkRoyal
20th March 2024, 10:50 AM
Also Tasmania Devils aka the Maps, aka Turbo Chooks aka Two Heads aka the AFL have been dragged kicking and screaming, but still not sure they want the team has been announced.

Who the Fk knows how this plays out over the next few years

3Puttpete
20th March 2024, 11:03 AM
Also Tasmania Devils aka the Maps, aka Turbo Chooks aka Two Heads aka the AFL have been dragged kicking and screaming, but still not sure they want the team has been announced.

Who the Fk knows how this plays out over the next few years

Other than eventually getting to 20 teams to sell another game per week to TV I still can’t figure out why they want a team there.

ParkRoyal
20th March 2024, 11:48 AM
Other than eventually getting to 20 teams to sell another game per week to TV I still can’t figure out why they want a team there.

Honestly, I think footy would probably die here without it. Government weren't going to keep stumping up cash for a few crappy Norf and Dawks games and if the AFL shunned the team then you'd probably see a lot of people shift away from the game.

Bunch of other reasons like history, other sports taking over (JJ's are very popular) and Tasmania is a lot more in the spot light these days.

Tas definately deserves a team, but the politics of it is so nauseating.

3Puttpete
20th March 2024, 12:02 PM
Honestly, I think footy would probably die here without it. Government weren't going to keep stumping up cash for a few crappy Norf and Dawks games and if the AFL shunned the team then you'd probably see a lot of people shift away from the game.

Bunch of other reasons like history, other sports taking over (JJ's are very popular) and Tasmania is a lot more in the spot light these days.

Deserving has nothing to do with it.

Western Sydney says hi

WBennett
20th March 2024, 01:56 PM
Round 0 was a great success. Just ask them.

Is it a coincidence that GWS and GC started with two home games?

GWS generally play a game or two at the showground before Easter, otherwise they don't get on it until May. This happens almost every year. They now don't play another round at the Showground until Round 10, with 2 games in Canberra in April.

WBennett
20th March 2024, 01:59 PM

Will Tasmania actually be non north/south partisan and get behind the team? Is the intent to play at both Hobart and Lonnie?

I am one of the 75000 foundation email addresses, getting a sticker for the work laptop.

Yossarian
20th March 2024, 02:05 PM
Gee whiz how many clubs can one bloke be a member of.

WBennett
20th March 2024, 02:16 PM
Gee whiz how many clubs can one bloke be a member of.

Two more than you?

ParkRoyal
20th March 2024, 05:14 PM
Will Tasmania actually be non north/south partisan and get behind the team? Is the intent to play at both Hobart and Lonnie?

I am one of the 75000 foundation email addresses, getting a sticker for the work laptop.

Both cities will get games, UTAS Stadium in Launceston is also getting an upgrade ($50mil +) and I think mostly those involved/interested with footy are for it where ever they are from.

But its a little hard to tell how much the north will be behind it especially when Hobart is getting all the coin (Stadium and High Performance Centre which will be on the old Rosny Course).
Whilst Hobart is the largest city Burnie, Devonport & surrounds plus Launceston being close to 50% of the states population and more the industrial part of the state they may feel short changed.

The election this weekend (which is why I think the timing of the team announcement stinks) might show how much the north and the state as a whole are keen for it.

Also over 100k foundation members now.

3Puttpete
20th March 2024, 06:53 PM
No stadium no team. Go Bec!

AndyP
21st March 2024, 06:54 AM
Also over 100k foundation members now.
That's an easy million made.

Ron Burgundy
21st March 2024, 09:28 AM
>120k memberships now. Might need to check if they’re basing that on headcount though.

WBennett
21st March 2024, 09:40 AM
>120k memberships now. Might need to check if they’re basing that on headcount though.

If they turn 120000 email addresses into 20,000 paid memberships, thats a win.

3Puttpete
21st March 2024, 11:59 AM

All AFL membership numbers are rubbery.

Pet members, 3 game members, baby members etc. the only number that matters is the 11 home game membership.

Hatchman
22nd March 2024, 05:27 AM
Agreed that only the full amount of home game and all games memberships should be the true reflection of membership numbers.

Hatchman
22nd March 2024, 05:37 AM
Just a little bit more pressure at Collingwood now being 0-3.
With each loss from here it really ramps ups.

Golf comparison would be a low single figure marker getting on the bogey train. Gets harder and harder to get off once you’re onboard.

AndyP
22nd March 2024, 07:22 AM
Agreed that only the full amount of home game and all games memberships should be the true reflection of membership numbers.
I think revenue from membership should be the number that gets looked at.

Toxic
22nd March 2024, 09:11 AM
Just a little bit more pressure at Collingwood now being 0-3.With each loss from here it really ramps ups.Golf comparison with be a low single figure marker getting on the bogey train. Gets harder and harder to get off once you’re onboard. Brissyb in brissy next week. 0-4

Hatchman
22nd March 2024, 09:33 AM
Brissyb in brissy next week. 0-4

Huge pressure for both if Brisbane go in without a win also.
A draw would be hell funny if that was the case.

AndyP
22nd March 2024, 10:56 AM
Huge pressure for both if Brisbane go in without a win also.If? They will, since they have a bye this weekend.

Kelsey86
22nd March 2024, 01:36 PM
The way Collingwood are going they'll probably lose to the Bye as well

LeftyHoges
23rd March 2024, 11:25 PM
The way Collingwood are going they'll probably lose to the Bye as wellhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240323/9fce5574927654d62fce6a4e6f94c62b.gif

Hatchman
24th March 2024, 01:08 PM
Have really enjoyed watching some games recently with sides that are intent on moving the ball quickly forward trying to score rather than the years of slow defensive crap we’ve had to endure.
Found the Geelong Fruitingles game interesting. Many expecting the Fruitingles to improve and get into the 8 this year on merit and not miss on a non goal review blunder.
Skill difference in the 2 sides clearly evident on a good night for Football.

WBennett
27th March 2024, 09:05 PM
In today's news that shocks nobody, AFL players testing positive in planned, pregame tests were later ruled out of games for calf injuries, general soreness, rested, rather than a positive for coke.

3Puttpete
27th March 2024, 09:11 PM
In today's news that shocks nobody, AFL players testing positive in planned, pregame tests were later ruled out of games for calf injuries, general soreness, rested, rather than a positive for coke.

Storm in a teacup started by an irrelevant clown looking for a headline.

WBennett
27th March 2024, 09:33 PM
Which one?
Wilkie?
The club Doctor?
Shaun Smith?

It will blow over as it's not in 7 or NewsCorps interest for the game to implode, and 9 doesn't want the same issues uncovered in league.

3Puttpete
27th March 2024, 10:24 PM
Which one?
Wilkie?
The club Doctor?
Shaun Smith?

It will blow over as it's not in 7 or NewsCorps interest for the game to implode, and 9 doesn't want the same issues uncovered in league.

Why not all 3?

It’ll blow over soon because it’s a non story.

Player voluntarily undergoes a drug test. He’s found to have stuff in his system. Club doctor says you’re not playing with performance enhancing drugs in your system on game day. It’s a private medical issue and I’m bound by privacy concerns so we’ll tell the coach you’re sore and need a week off.

Seems like a sensible thing to do.

Ron Burgundy
28th March 2024, 09:38 AM
Why not all 3?It’ll blow over soon because it’s a non story. Player voluntarily undergoes a drug test. He’s found to have stuff in his system. Club doctor says you’re not playing with performance enhancing drugs in your system on game day. It’s a private medical issue and I’m bound by privacy concerns so we’ll tell the coach you’re sore and need a week off. Seems like a sensible thing to do. Hard to square these kind of shenanigans with the massive focus on maximizing sports betting sponsorship. Betters will want more notice than game day if a key player has picked up a nose injury.

3Puttpete
28th March 2024, 01:04 PM
Hard to square these kind of shenanigans with the massive focus on maximizing sports betting sponsorship. Betters will want more notice than game day if a key player has picked up a nose injury.

The easy solution is to stop testing

markTHEblake
28th March 2024, 01:08 PM
i'd prefer they started testing public servants.

sms316
28th March 2024, 01:15 PM
Is cocaine illegal in Victoria?

LeftyHoges
28th March 2024, 01:15 PM

You can either ask me to be civil to my numptard co-workers, or you can ask me not to take drugs, but you can't ask me to do both.

WBennett
28th March 2024, 01:35 PM

Many organisations already do including mine.

I would prefer if everyone in Parliament House was tested for drugs and alcohol.

WBennett
28th March 2024, 01:37 PM
Is cocaine illegal in Victoria?

Its as legal in Victoria as it is in Bondi, but far less prevalent.

sms316
28th March 2024, 01:40 PM
Its as legal in Victoria as it is in Bondi, but far less prevalent.
Both of which should get the Singapore or Malaysian treatment.

WBennett
28th March 2024, 01:59 PM
Lucky we don't live in Singapore or Malaysia, hey.

Ron Burgundy
28th March 2024, 02:12 PM
The easy solution is to stop testing Agree. They shouldn’t be testing for recreational drugs anyway. FWIW they should be legalised too. Society would benefit more from criminalizing Big Macs than most drugs.

sms316
28th March 2024, 02:17 PM
Lucky we don't live in Singapore or Malaysia, hey.
You must have a lot more respect for drug users than I do.

WBennett
28th March 2024, 03:05 PM
You must have a lot more respect for drug users than I do.

Half the posters on this forum would be coke users or associate closely with coke users...

Please note, I am not one of the users but know plenty who do.

sms316
28th March 2024, 04:13 PM
Half the posters on this forum would be coke users or associate closely with coke users...

Please note, I am not one of the users but know plenty who do.
They do not endear themselves to me as a liquor licensee

PerryGroves
28th March 2024, 08:24 PM
Couldn't care how many punters in the AFL do gear, been happening since Cousins and the Weagles and presumably prior. My only issue is the stupidity of trying to take the high moral ground over other sports.

Webster
28th March 2024, 09:21 PM
Perhaps cocaine is the answer to making a shit sport like AFL interesting these days...

Hatchman
30th March 2024, 02:32 PM
Not sure I’ve seen a more comical poor skills execution game as the Freo Fruit Tingles game last night.
Watching it with the Benny Hill chase music playing would have been appropriate.

Will Fagan last the season out if Brisbane fail to make finals?
Does Brisbane’s board have the same patience as Ports board have with Stinkley? Does at least making a Grand Final give him more time credit?

AndyP
30th March 2024, 03:15 PM
Considering the opposition that Brisbane have had so far, it's hardly panic stations. I did get plenty of amusement out of the crowd going feral at the game on Thursday when they were losing.

markTHEblake
31st March 2024, 12:50 AM
I am hearing gossip that a significant number of senior Lions players are experiencing marital situations after what happened in vegas didnt stay in vegas

3Puttpete
31st March 2024, 10:20 AM
I am hearing gossip that a significant number of senior Lions players are experiencing marital situations after what happened in vegas didnt stay in vegas

I’m hearing gossip they didn’t go to Vegas so any stories coming from there need explanation.

Toxic
1st April 2024, 12:17 PM
I am hearing gossip that a significant number of senior Lions players are experiencing marital situations after what happened in vegas didnt stay in vegas It's 100% true.3 relationships over "Apparently "

AndyP
1st April 2024, 06:03 PM
Who knew lightning delays were a thing?

Sports that you go to now just blast you with content at the ground/stadium any chance a they get.

A long delay at the ground and the MCG/AFL don't even bother using the two big screens that they have to entertain the crowd.

thecollective
13th April 2024, 07:43 PM
Gutsy win by the Crows. You could see how much they wanted it, and I reckon that was the difference in the end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WBennett
15th April 2024, 09:23 AM
The Tigers bottoming out is a wonderful thing. Good work Eagles.

LeftyHoges
15th April 2024, 10:21 AM
The Tigers bottoming out is a wonderful thing. Good work Eagles.

Awesome that they sold their future trying to top up for Taranto and Hopper too.

Enjoy the next 5 years at the bottom dickheads.

ParkRoyal
15th April 2024, 12:39 PM
Punching on the disabled kids, nice...

Taranto was a good get with the midfield exodus we've had, not so much Hopper.

We'll have Reid soon anyway.

Yossarian
15th April 2024, 12:56 PM
Taranto has one of the worst ball drops I've ever seen. Incredible he got to this level in some ways.

WBennett
15th April 2024, 01:03 PM

Where will you find three Top 10 draft picks to get him? You would be better off rebuilding, as you already have a sacrificial coach.

ParkRoyal
15th April 2024, 02:19 PM
Where will you find three Top 10 draft picks to get him? You would be better off rebuilding, as you already have a sacrificial coach.

Baker and a first round...

We've basically had 2 seasons of no picks, so yeah we might need to actually get a few this year. I think Yze is going to go alright, but geez having some cattle on the park would help.

Pingsta
15th April 2024, 04:02 PM
Awesome that they sold their future trying to top up for Taranto and Hopper too.

Enjoy the next 5 years at the bottom dickheads.

Haters gunna hate

LeftyHoges
16th April 2024, 04:13 PM
Haters gunna hate

I only hated you guys when you were winning.

I love you now....

... and seems I will do for quite a few years to come.:razz:

LeftyHoges
16th April 2024, 04:14 PM
Punching on the disabled kids, nice...

Taranto was a good get with the midfield exodus we've had, not so much Hopper.

Surely that's allowed when the kid disabled himself... ;)

ParkRoyal
17th April 2024, 03:01 PM
Surely that's allowed when the kid disabled himself... ;)

ah hey thats..

fair