PDA

View Full Version : Post land sale golf courses

WBennett
2nd January 2024, 08:33 PM
Has any course ever sold off more than 10% of its land and had an improved layout in a compressed footprint?

Anyone have examples, and I am not talking relocations out of town ala Eastern etc

Ron Burgundy
2nd January 2024, 08:47 PM
Not done yet but the plans for Newcastle look pretty good.

BobsYourUncle
2nd January 2024, 08:55 PM
I might argue that Ipswich golf club got a technically better layout after selling thr front 9 (and building on other adjacent land) - but worse from a membership/maintenance point of view (members didn't like the "championship" layout, and it cost too much and needed too much water). I think it'd be great if they could maintain it to a higher level.

markTHEblake
3rd January 2024, 01:51 AM
Has any course ever sold off more than 10% of its land and had an improved layout in a compressed footprint? Anyone have examples, and I am not talking relocations out of town ala Eastern etc Darwin golf club sold off way more than 10% in late 80's and still has a decent length course, i think 6100m Look at google maps, to see the example. All the houses inside the golf course and the road was sold to the developer.

gco0307
3rd January 2024, 09:00 AM
Happy to be corrected but didn't the original Shellharbour Village course close after it was bought by a developer who then developed ShellHarbour Links as part of the overall agreement for sale?

I am not convinced that the course was private rather than council owned land but just seem to recall something similar and would say that the new course is an improvements

WBennett
3rd January 2024, 11:45 AM
Happy to be corrected but didn't the original Shellharbour Village course close after it was bought by a developer who then developed ShellHarbour Links as part of the overall agreement for sale?

I am not convinced that the course was private rather than council owned land but just seem to recall something similar and would say that the new course is an improvements

Then a significant component of the new Links Shell Cove was sold off, and the remainder is a compressed, short and underwhelming track from all reports.

WBennett
3rd January 2024, 11:47 AM
Darwin golf club sold off way more than 10% in late 80's and still has a decent length course, i think 6100m Look at google maps, to see the example. All the houses inside the golf course and the road was sold to the developer.

Did they have a lot of spare land to play with?

I ask this as Federal is about to lose their 3rd, 6th and 7th holes to a retirement village. The new plans are... less than what currently exists.

Yowani has sold off about 20% of their land, the new course is going to be par 70, tight and looks dangerous from the plans (9 and 10 as one example).

I am not being over run with examples of courses being better where course land is sold and the rest of the track is compressed.

BobsYourUncle
3rd January 2024, 12:27 PM
Mount Compass sold off some land. Lost a great par 5 (2nd is now a short-ish par 4), but made the par 4 3rd a better hole. Net loss probably though, the old 2nd was great.

Hatchman
3rd January 2024, 12:35 PM
Agree.
Mount Compass lost their best Par 5 with the land sell off. Yes it also made the 3rd a much better hole. The tee shot was ridiculously difficult for the length of shot in for the second unless you were seriously long with a draw to clear the bunkers. It was far too easy to play a good shot for position only to have it run hard and fast and end up in the water.

gco0307
3rd January 2024, 01:10 PM
Then a significant component of the new Links Shell Cove was sold off, and the remainder is a compressed, short and underwhelming track from all reports.

Wasn't aware of that aspect as moved out of the region as Shellharbour links was being developed but will admit, not surprised and is why I have concerns for my current home club which is on land it owns but flanked by serious development and has just agreed to amalgamate with a separate bowling club.

IMO, developers all so often win with their money

TheTrueReview
3rd January 2024, 03:43 PM
Has any course ever sold off more than 10% of its land and had an improved layout in a compressed footprint?Anyone have examples, and I am not talking relocations out of town ala Eastern etc Nudgee GC would have to be in the conversation. Lost 4 holes from the old South course by way of non-contested resumption. 💰Then did a complete revised layout of 2 x 18 holes with the government cash received. 🕳️

WBennett
3rd January 2024, 04:04 PM
Nudgee GC would have to be in the conversation. Lost 4 holes from the old South course by way of non-contested resumption. 💰Then did a complete revised layout of 2 x 18 holes with the government cash received. 🕳️ Did they get extra land?

sms316
3rd January 2024, 05:17 PM
Whilst not sold but rather temporarily lost, RQ did pretty well with what they had.

TheTrueReview
3rd January 2024, 05:28 PM
Did they get extra land? No. At first they thought they might but it fizzled.