PDA

View Full Version : World Ranking Points. I dont understand it

PeterCool
12th December 2023, 11:07 AM
How do they decide which tournament gets what points?

I ask because the private invite only game with Tiger and his 19 mates got points. No cut and limited players.

Would this mean that if LIV started 4 rounds also with no cut, they would start getting world ranking points?

virge666
12th December 2023, 11:10 AM
Who you play against.
Who you beat.
What format you played in.
What tournament it was.

Plug into computer - numbers come out biasing the USPGA Tour.

3Puttpete
12th December 2023, 11:16 AM
How do they decide which tournament gets what points?

I ask because the private invite only game with Tiger and his 19 mates got points. No cut and limited players.

Would this mean that if LIV started 4 rounds also with no cut, they would start getting world ranking points?

Most of the PGA Tour events are/have been 72 holes with a cut, qualifying systems to get onto the tour and into individual events. They are allowed OWGR points for other formats (WGC etc) because of this.

I’m sure the OWGR has a long list of rules which complicates things but that’s my basic understanding.

jimandr
12th December 2023, 05:45 PM

The World Ranking system has got itself into a logic bomb because of the Hero Challenge. They didn't used to recognise it, but now they do, and its a mess.

If LIV did 4 round events with a cut, that would meet all the criteria, and I think it would have to count. Without a cut, it is a bit easier to ignore, because half the players (or more) are numpties who are no chance of competing.

PeterCool
14th December 2023, 09:59 AM
The World Ranking system has got itself into a logic bomb because of the Hero Challenge. They didn't used to recognise it, but now they do, and its a mess.If LIV did 4 round events with a cut, that would meet all the criteria, and I think it would have to count. Without a cut, it is a bit easier to ignore, because half the players (or more) are numpties who are no chance of competing. So should LIV look at bringing in a cut but paying the guys cut. Or even have a cut but those guys keep playing but they can’t win overall but their points still go towards the team comp? They have to do something to get world ranking point before the big guys drop too far.

Hatchman
14th December 2023, 12:38 PM
The World Golf Rankings need to reset their criteria for points.
That or they might find themselves irrelevant for Majors qualifiers.

WBennett
14th December 2023, 08:01 PM
You realise the world ranking system is owned by the Majors and PGA and Euro tours?

They are as relevant as the owners want them to be.

https://www.owgr.com/about-owgr