PDA

View Full Version : Putter purchase

kwantfm
25th August 2004, 04:45 PM
Had an interesting thought last night that my putting stroke is more oriented towards directional control rather than distance control. I have tried to do the Pelz straight down the line putting stroke... and I just find it very difficult to control pace.

I used to putt quite well with an inside-square-inside (gate style) putting stroke... so I thought I'd have a look at a blade style putter.

Whilst at the golf store I saw quite a few interesting putters:
1. Ping Doc 17... larger in real life than I had ever really imagined. Very soft feel off the face. Easy to keep on line... but, given the limited number of putts I had with it, I think there are some distance control issues... preferred the:
2. Ping Craz-E - only problem with this putter is that it looks so damned awful;
3. Never Compromise Voodoo 35"... very nice putter. Has that high MOI feel without the incredible bulk of most of the high MOI putter genre.

Ended up buying a Ping G2 Tess... Ping's blade style putter (with hidden perimeter weighting). I actually now use some wrist in my putting stroke with this style of putter and I do find it easier to judge pace. The most amazing thing is how sweet it feels when you hit it just right. The high MOI putters feel the same no matter where you hit them.

So I'll let you know how it goes down the track.

Cheers,
Terence

P.S. Had a quick look at the new Ping G2 driver. This is the best looking driver that Ping has EVER introduced IMO. The alignment aid is actually pretty subtle. Not the ideal shape for me as it has a relatively shallow face and looks a little longer from heel to toe than I'd like but looks pretty damned good all the same.

Jarro
25th August 2004, 05:11 PM
Congrats on the new purchase T, be sure to let us know how it performs :wink:

Did you happen to trial a Scotty Cameron by any chance :? I still maintain they are just the best putters out there, bar none :smt023

kwantfm
25th August 2004, 05:39 PM
Jarro,

I did try one of the Studio Design Scotty Camerons. It surely was a very sweet putter. Just didn't see any blade style Scotties (do they exist). Also couldn't get over the $395 price.

Cheers,
Terence

amanda
25th August 2004, 06:17 PM
Terence - let me know if you're selling the BG - I can always use a spare :wink:

kwantfm
25th August 2004, 06:48 PM
Amanda,

I'll probably hold on to the BG... but you'll be the first to know if I decide that it has outlived its usefulness.

Cheers,
Terence

jaster
25th August 2004, 07:08 PM
Nice post kwantfm, this is the type of stuff I enjoy reading the most 8)

The PING Tess is a putter that I have always had in the back of my mind, I rolled one when I was at the Gold Coast once and loved the feel, great pickup and please make sure you give us an update on your performance with it!

Great news about the G2 Driver, I have a a driver on ebay and once that sells (4 days ;)) will be placing my order..I do not look at any alignment aids or the club at all for that matter when either driving/chipping or putting etc so I really don't see what the big deal is? :roll: All it allows you to do is make sure you are placing the centre of the club behind the ball as you take address, the rest should be all subliminal ;)

Again, great post mate :D

goughy
25th August 2004, 07:51 PM

Did you happen to trial a Scotty Cameron by any chance :? I still maintain they are just the best putters out there, bar none :smt023

My scotty putter is fantastic too jarro. Only problem is, no matter how much I look at it, it still says Ping Anser 3.

Oh well, must have been one of the early scotty designs :wink:

kwantfm
25th August 2004, 07:54 PM
Jaster,

Thanks for the encouragement. I remember ChrisTNM writing a great review of the Ping I3+ irons which got me into this whole ho'ing thing!

Is ChrisTNM still around?

Cheers,
Terence

jaster
25th August 2004, 08:16 PM
Jaster,

Thanks for the encouragement. I remember ChrisTNM writing a great review of the Ping I3+ irons which got me into this whole ho'ing thing!

Is ChrisTNM still around?

Cheers,
Terence

ChrisTNM is on golfopinions I think, nice guy..I think I let him know about ozgolf but did not hear anything? :?

McMw
25th August 2004, 09:55 PM

My scotty putter is fantastic too jarro. Only problem is, no matter how much I look at it, it still says Ping Anser 3.

Oh well, must have been one of the early scotty designs :wink:

and when I look at a scotty, it says Ping Anser Sn... :lol: :lol:

990B Luva
26th August 2004, 07:12 AM
Just didn't see any blade style Scotties (do they exist).
Terence, they do exist but are getting harder and harder to find, i am not sure of the numbers, but it is called the NAPA

kwantfm
26th August 2004, 07:39 AM
990B Luva,

I did look at the Cameron site after my post. Those Napas look fantastic. Had a look at Ebay and they sell for RIDICULOUS prices... Also liked the Del Mar.

Cheers,
Terence

Fishman Dan
26th August 2004, 08:54 AM
If any of you HO's come across a White Hot #8, please let me know. They are spunk-a-licious... ;)

Jono
28th August 2004, 01:37 PM
Had an interesting thought last night that my putting stroke is more oriented towards directional control rather than distance control. I have tried to do the Pelz straight down the line putting stroke... and I just find it very difficult to control pace.

I used to putt quite well with an inside-square-inside (gate style) putting stroke... so I thought I'd have a look at a blade style putter.

Whilst at the golf store I saw quite a few interesting putters:
1. Ping Doc 17... larger in real life than I had ever really imagined. Very soft feel off the face. Easy to keep on line... but, given the limited number of putts I had with it, I think there are some distance control issues... preferred the:
2. Ping Craz-E - only problem with this putter is that it looks so damned awful;
3. Never Compromise Voodoo 35"... very nice putter. Has that high MOI feel without the incredible bulk of most of the high MOI putter genre.

Ended up buying a Ping G2 Tess... Ping's blade style putter (with hidden perimeter weighting). I actually now use some wrist in my putting stroke with this style of putter and I do find it easier to judge pace. The most amazing thing is how sweet it feels when you hit it just right. The high MOI putters feel the same no matter where you hit them.

So I'll let you know how it goes down the track.

Cheers,
Terence

P.S. Had a quick look at the new Ping G2 driver. This is the best looking driver that Ping has EVER introduced IMO. The alignment aid is actually pretty subtle. Not the ideal shape for me as it has a relatively shallow face and looks a little longer from heel to toe than I'd like but looks pretty damned good all the same.

A long winded way of saying "I made an impluse purchse but I can't tell myself that ..." ? :wink: :lol:

I'm using a sort of a heel shaft putter as well, with the "gate style" stroke. Like you, I find that it gives me slightly better feel on longer putts. Anyway, we can compare our putters and putting style when we next play.

BTW, first game with the irons after reshafting with Nippons. Two words. LOVE'em (OK, one word ... :lol: ) Hit some nice crisp short/middle irons shots. The Ashton driver is a keeper as well. Lets me tee it up real high without fear of going under it.

kwantfm
28th August 2004, 03:47 PM
Jono,

This was an impulse buy with the impulse lasting for more than 12 hours (which is rare).

Played a team even today with only one score counting per team of four. Played very well... and putted well as well. Long putts were MUCH better with the gate style stroke and I holed some pretty decent length putts (10-25 foot length).

The Wishon PCF platinum nickel finish 60* was a star today. The finish is just beautiful and wears very well from what I can tell. Took it to the practice bunker and hit about 100 shots with it and the finish looks great.

The Ashton driver was killing the ball today. Little draw today so I was milking it for all it was worth.

Glad you like your Nippon shafted irons. I had a strong feeling that they'd suit you well.

Cheers,
TK