PDA

View Full Version : Watches - Garmin experience

WBennett
25th September 2023, 08:43 AM
My S60 looks like it died after 3+ years of daily use. Sigh, I loved that watch.

I like a watch I can wear every day that does step counts, golf GPS, and wouldn't mind heart rate monitoring etc.

What are people wearing for golf watches etc? Preference is Garmin, Apple is not an option. S62s seem to have significantly increased in price :shock: over what I paid for my S60, but just after thoughts on whats around and whats recommended.

TIA

PeteyD
25th September 2023, 08:53 AM
I use my Samsung 5. But I also go back to a dedicated Golf watch as I have some issues with the Golf app I need to sort out.

I think you can still buy a s60.

virge666
25th September 2023, 09:22 AM
Pixel Watch i bought on FB Mkt place.. $120 and i just use 18 Holes or Golf Logix.

goughy
25th September 2023, 10:29 AM
I guess it depends on how much golf info you specifically want from the watch?
You can look at something like the vivoactives or venu's, but they probably will be a little behind what the dedicated golf watches can do. But they may be enough.
Otherwise I'd guess you're at the golfing models or maybe the fenix ranges?

BrisVegas
25th September 2023, 12:45 PM
I use my Samsung 5. But I also go back to a dedicated Golf watch as I have some issues with the Golf app I need to sort out.

sorry for the threadjack, but what golf app do you use on the Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 ?

WBennett
25th September 2023, 12:56 PM
I guess it depends on how much golf info you specifically want from the watch?
You can look at something like the vivoactives or venu's, but they probably will be a little behind what the dedicated golf watches can do. But they may be enough.
Otherwise I'd guess you're at the golfing models or maybe the fenix ranges?

I use my S6 for Front Middle Back, layup points, recording length of shots etc. I don't use anywhere near all the functionality, but enough that when it wasn't there yesterday, I missed it

PeteyD
25th September 2023, 01:07 PM
sorry for the threadjack, but what golf app do you use on the Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 ?

Smart Caddie by Golf Buddy. Its ok.

Stuart
25th September 2023, 02:41 PM
Got an S62 on sale last year. Very happy - love it.

goughy
25th September 2023, 02:58 PM
I use my S6 for Front Middle Back, layup points, recording length of shots etc. I don't use anywhere near all the functionality, but enough that when it wasn't there yesterday, I missed it Then I would think any of the more recent (last couple of years at least) watches with good functionality would do the job.Mine doesn't give full hole flyover views, but I get keep and hazard distances. Fmb of green and can also change the pin position and have a green view. Can kept score and some stats, and it auto records shot distances. Also works with some of the swing devices, and the things you screw into the grips of clubs (the Garmin brand ones anyway).

cratcliffe
25th September 2023, 03:37 PM
I use my S6 for Front Middle Back, layup points, recording length of shots etc. I don't use anywhere near all the functionality, but enough that when it wasn't there yesterday, I missed it
Had a Vivo Active 3 for number years now, gives most those features, except layup (if it does I have never found it!!!).
Does have few extras, scoring etc. I do like how it tells me how far I have hit the ball, uses GPS from when you last hit to give you how far you have travelled from that spot.

Johnny Canuck
26th September 2023, 03:32 PM
I use a Garmin Fenix Pro 6.

It is a great watch and I like the golf GPS function.

The feature where it tracks your shot and show how far you've travelled since hitting the ball is very useful when looking for balls and also determining how far you are hitting your sticks.

WBennett
26th September 2023, 03:58 PM
I use a Garmin Fenix Pro 6.

It is a great watch and I like the golf GPS function.

The feature where it tracks your shot and show how far you've travelled since hitting the ball is very useful when looking for balls and also determining how far you are hitting your sticks.

That was one I was looking at - this model?
Garmin fenix® 6X Pro Sports Watch (Black) - JB Hi-Fi (jbhifi.com.au) (https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/garmin-fenix-6x-pro-sports-watch-black?store=177&gclid=CjwKCAjw38SoBhB6EiwA8EQVLo-20fRa8Cinw3EWDM1Y7Gr6SRMyWEhWqVjnvhN-mhoVvqH9Be3VARoCtW8QAvD_BwE)

Johnny Canuck
26th September 2023, 04:11 PM
Garmin fenix[emoji2400] 6X Pro Sports Watch (Black) - JB Hi-Fi (jbhifi.com.au) (https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/garmin-fenix-6x-pro-sports-watch-black?store=177&gclid=CjwKCAjw38SoBhB6EiwA8EQVLo-20fRa8Cinw3EWDM1Y7Gr6SRMyWEhWqVjnvhN-mhoVvqH9Be3VARoCtW8QAvD_BwE)

I just checked. Mine is the Sapphire. I think the only difference is the Sapphire glass is stronger.

You can also get cheap bands on eBay for $12-$15 which are quite durable and give you some great colour options.

Sydney Hacker
26th September 2023, 04:19 PM
That was one I was looking at - this model? Garmin fenix® 6X Pro Sports Watch (Black) - JB Hi-Fi (jbhifi.com.au) (https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/garmin-fenix-6x-pro-sports-watch-black?store=177&gclid=CjwKCAjw38SoBhB6EiwA8EQVLo-20fRa8Cinw3EWDM1Y7Gr6SRMyWEhWqVjnvhN-mhoVvqH9Be3VARoCtW8QAvD_BwE) I have that one and it does everything you have said earlier you want it to do plus more.

ParkRoyal
26th September 2023, 05:03 PM
Is the weight/size of the fenix a bit much? was looking at the Forerunner 945/955/965 as an alernative to it

Courty
26th September 2023, 05:04 PM
Try one of these (https://www.tagheuer.com/au/en/smartwatches/collections/tag-heuer-connected/45-mm/SBR8A81.EB0251.html).

WBennett
26th September 2023, 05:40 PM
I have that one and it does everything you have said earlier you want it to do plus more. I think it's the option.Might have to go shopping

goughy
26th September 2023, 07:52 PM
I have a non saphire glass Fenix 3, and wore it daily for years, including at work, around nails, screws, staples, timber, and umpteen tools, let alone all the training and racing. And I could damage the glass.
Same with my vivoactive 3 and 4s. Tougher than you'd think.

Dotty
27th September 2023, 06:22 AM
Try one of these (https://www.tagheuer.com/au/en/smartwatches/collections/tag-heuer-connected/45-mm/SBR8A81.EB0251.html).
Not very accurate, if it thought 24th September was a Monday.

mrbluu
27th September 2023, 10:19 AM
Garmin fenix® 6X Pro Sports Watch (Black) - JB Hi-Fi (jbhifi.com.au) (https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/garmin-fenix-6x-pro-sports-watch-black?store=177&gclid=CjwKCAjw38SoBhB6EiwA8EQVLo-20fRa8Cinw3EWDM1Y7Gr6SRMyWEhWqVjnvhN-mhoVvqH9Be3VARoCtW8QAvD_BwE)

I got one of these. Battery life is amazing!!!

AndyP
27th September 2023, 10:09 PM
I got one of these. Battery life is amazing!!!If it's anything like the Fenix 5, not if you play golf with them. Great for every day, but 35% gone per golf round.

mrbluu
28th September 2023, 11:00 AM
If it's anything like the Fenix 5, not if you play golf with them. Great for every day, but 35% gone per golf round.

I haven't golfed for a while, but I'm sure I got at least 2-3 rounds out of it over a couple of weeks without recharging. I done 4 or 5 days snowboarding with it no problems.

WBennett
28th September 2023, 03:01 PM
If it's anything like the Fenix 5, not if you play golf with them. Great for every day, but 35% gone per golf round.

I am used to recharging my phone every night, so recharging a watch isn't an issue.

Ended up with a Fenix 6 Sapphire. No touch screen will take a bit of getting used to, but the HRM and other health features may be useful info to assist me keep on top of ongoing health issues.

LeftyHoges
28th September 2023, 03:59 PM
This specific model is $600 off right now...

https://www.garmin.com/en-AU/p/735563/pn/010-02541-12

billp
29th September 2023, 08:16 AM
I get 2 plus rounds out of my Fenix 6 Pro, plus I track my gym workouts each morning etc. The battery life if much better than the 5 which I had before this one.

If you can find the 7 on sale I would probably go that one, just for the touch screen.

golfbound
2nd October 2023, 12:50 PM
Ive got the TAG connected golf watch, the app is good but struggles battery wise to make 18 holes. I wouldn't recommend the TAG one

WBennett
3rd October 2023, 08:44 AM
After picking up the Fenix 6 Sapphire and using it since Thursday, it does almost everything I need.

I have used it for three rounds over the long weekend, charging it Saturday night. I have 7 days of normal battery life left which is quite awesome. I initially missed the touch screen of my S60, but the battery life is amazing, heart rate and sleep monitoring is excellent, and at the run out price, it seems a great buy.