PDA

View Full Version : Wedge bounce

YoungBoy
20th August 2023, 07:02 PM
What wedge bounce do you use & why?

What is an ideal bounce for a mid handicapper?

I play off 15 & need a 56 wedge.

Kelsey86
20th August 2023, 10:02 PM
I have 3 different degrees of bounce in my wedges, well 4 if you count the whatever it is in the PW in the iron set. From what I understand it's to do with how steep or shallow your swing is, and also the types of conditions you usually play in (firm/soft etc).

goonie
20th August 2023, 10:34 PM
This might give you a rough idea, but best to get a fit.
https://www.vokey.com/tools/wedge-selector-tool.aspx

markTHEblake
20th August 2023, 10:44 PM
suggest low bounce super wide sole, its the best wedge for choppers

(i been using them for yonks)

goonie
21st August 2023, 07:36 AM

That could be a digging disaster for someone with a steep swing, or plays with a bit of shaft lean.

markTHEblake
21st August 2023, 09:24 AM
Thats me and works great. That wide sole just does not dig in.

Captain Nemo
21st August 2023, 03:45 PM
Depends on the course, grass etc….
so I’ve been told…..:wink:

markTHEblake
21st August 2023, 04:34 PM
Depends on the course, grass etc…. so I’ve been told…..:wink: Exactly. If a bloke had OCD he would have about 30 wedges, one for each condition variant.

Lucasto23
21st August 2023, 05:23 PM
Exactly. If a bloke had OCD he would have about 30 wedges, one for each condition variant.

I tried this, got to confusing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

YoungBoy
21st August 2023, 05:37 PM
Haha, thanks gents. Perhaps it’s best to stick neutral and get a 10yrs bounce.

Kelsey86
21st August 2023, 07:08 PM
My old ones were all 10° bounce, I got fitted in June and had two of them changed to 12 and 14 degrees while the lob wedge stayed at 10. Made a noticeable difference to my ball striking with them, but my swing is relatively steep. If you're not that steep 10 would go alright.
I doubt I'll be playing many courses around here that are really firm either, most are fairly similar to my home course. If I do I can always use a short iron instead.

TheNuclearOne
21st August 2023, 09:09 PM
Nowadays bounce is only one part of the equation and means less that it ever did with all the grinds available. It's trial and error. A lot of companies now offer some base models and most can find their leanings thru these. It also depends on your course conditions and how fluffy your bunkers are or aren't. You don't have to be a pro to benefit from a reasonable fit. Cleveland have pretty simple base models and TM too. You have to get out and try low/mid/full bounce/grind type wedges in your sand and lob and you'll know pretty quickly which type you like more.

YoungBoy
22nd August 2023, 07:19 AM
Thanks again gents- much appreciated.

Dotty
22nd August 2023, 10:58 AM

Hogan Sure Out 60* with 6* bounce was my most predictable wedge and kept finding its way back into the bag (until the grooves wore out).
(Callaway's copy was a mere imitation.)

Co-incidentally, I have given up on lob wedges and just put two Hogan sand wedges in the bag ...
Riviera 56* with 14* bounce narrow sole
Special-SI with pinned AMF Apex shaft. Specs unknown, but has a wider shallower bounce (but not as wide as the Sure Out).

Hopefully, best of both worlds without a cupboard full of reserves.

virge666
22nd August 2023, 11:02 AM
Choppers... as much bounce as you can get.
Bounce = Margin of error.

Also nothing higher than 56 degree.

Bounce makes everything better, except hard bunkers.

markTHEblake
22nd August 2023, 12:31 PM
Hogan Sure Out 60* with 6* bounce was my most predictable wedge and kept finding its way back into the bag (until the grooves wore out). (Callaway's copy was a mere imitation.) Yes thats a good one. Many alternatives with that design, Maltby made one called slider that was even bigger/wider, ya just deliberately hit em fat, and they just work. To be honest, these things are like cheating, should be banned. The only reason pros dont use them is lack of versality, those guys want to be creative, us choppers just want to get on the green

thecollective
22nd August 2023, 01:58 PM
Choppers... as much bounce as you can get.
Bounce = Margin of error.

Also nothing higher than 56 degree.

Bounce makes everything better, except hard bunkers.

Don’t you get more drop kicks and flyers with high bounce wedges? Better off with medium (10-12) IMO

virge666
22nd August 2023, 03:37 PM
Don’t you get more drop kicks and flyers with high bounce wedges? Better off with medium (10-12) IMO

Chipping is all the way you integrate with the turf - with a high bounce wedge you can hit it 2-3 inches fat and still hit a good shot. That gives confidence for the end user. Bounce is awesome.. especially pitching and distance control.

When i chip i will have the club open 30 degrees or so and that would be at least 25 degrees of bounce on the club ... easy.

Bounce is insurance.. even the bad contact puts it 10ft instead of 30.

thecollective
22nd August 2023, 04:11 PM
Good info, I like using my 52 with an open face. 10 degrees bounce, I seem to get more spin with this club than a 56. Not sure but maybe the presented/dynamic loft has something to do with it

davepuppies
22nd August 2023, 05:01 PM
I play 12 degrees bounce in my 56, and 10 in my 60.

If it is a course with couch, or firm conditions with firm greens I might play a 60 degree wedge with 8 degrees to get some more zip on my pitches

BobsYourUncle
22nd August 2023, 05:10 PM
I've got mid bounce (10/10/9) in my 50/54/58. I've been considering going more bounce, at least in my 54, since moving up to Qld where I've been playing softer conditions - although things are drying out now so I haven't pulled the trigger.

virge666
22nd August 2023, 10:57 PM
Dan Grieve teaches how i have chipped and pitched for years.

For mine - just easy to understand and easy to execute. It also means i use my 58 degree maybe once a round maybe never.

https://dggolfpro.com/

We use the bounce all the time. it just works better. I think he did a video with Rick Shields as well a while back.

And for the record - his eBook is $1.50 on Amazon. :)

markTHEblake
23rd August 2023, 08:52 PM

never heard of him. just watched some of his videos. he must be cheating, no way is short game that easy.

umm, the kindle ebook is $12, any hints to find the $1.50 one

virge666
24th August 2023, 05:35 PM
never heard of him. just watched some of his videos. he must be cheating, no way is short game that easy.

umm, the kindle ebook is $12, any hints to find the $1.50 one

Seems to be a moving feast

Print List Price:
$31.02

Kindle Price:
$7.70 Save $23.32 (75%)

includes free international wireless delivery via Amazon Whispernet

Sold by:
Amazon.com Services LLC

markTHEblake
24th August 2023, 10:21 PM
Coincidentally, 7.70 USD is 12 bucks AUD :-)

virge666
25th August 2023, 10:07 AM
Coincidentally, 7.70 USD is 12 bucks AUD :-)

Just do it.. so worth it.

BrisVegas
25th August 2023, 10:31 AM
I'm demoing some vokeys at the moment while I figure out what to do.

50.12F
56.10S
60.12D

My thinking is that the 50 & 56 will be used for full shots, plus pitching and chipping, so not too bothered by what bounce and grind on them. An F grind on both would be fine, but the "S" grind looks ok too..

The 60 will be the main greenside bunker club and for the inevitable flop shot as needed, so either an "M" or "D" grind.

Will have a proper fitting with the pro once I work out what irons I get as the bloody pitching wedges are so strong nowadays. Seems like a modern PW is same as my current 9 iron and my current PW is now called a gap wedge! :lol:

virge666
25th August 2023, 10:46 AM
Will have a proper fitting with the pro once I work out what irons I get as the bloody pitching wedges are so strong nowadays. Seems like a modern PW is same as my current 9 iron and my current PW is now called a gap wedge! :lol:

This is the hard bit.

45 PW
49 GW
54 SW
58 LW

The changes to the ball have ruined lofts.

AndyP
25th August 2023, 10:50 AM
I had to buy a gap wedge in my set, and didn't need to buy a 3 iron, because that is the 4 iron now.

On your wedges, BV, 50 to 56 seems like a big gap if used for full shots, compared to the gaps between irons.

BrisVegas
25th August 2023, 11:11 AM
I had to buy a gap wedge in my set, and didn't need to buy a 3 iron, because that is the 4 iron now.

On your wedges, BV, 50 to 56 seems like a big gap if used for full shots, compared to the gaps between irons.

yeah 6deg is a lot, but I dont really want to carry 4 wedges. If I went with 44deg PW, then 50 then 56 it is at least consistent.. In the old days, we went 48 PW to 56 SW.

BrisVegas
25th August 2023, 11:12 AM
This is the hard bit.

45 PW
49 GW
54 SW
58 LW

The changes to the ball have ruined lofts.

do you use the 54 out of bunkers?

What changes to the ball? (seriously)

AndyP
25th August 2023, 11:41 AM
yeah 6deg is a lot, but I dont really want to carry 4 wedges. If I went with 44deg PW, then 50 then 56 it is at least consistent.. In the old days, we went 48 PW to 56 SW.
48*, 53*, 58*?

virge666
25th August 2023, 11:44 AM
do you use the 54 out of bunkers?

What changes to the ball? (seriously)

If we have sand.. always 50 or 54. You just have more margin for error and i know the ball isnt going to stop where it lands. 50 out of a bunker - so much easier if you have green to play with
If no sand.. still 54 if i have some green to work with.. see above
If no sand and no green - 58 and cup the left wrist to get the ball to land soft.

as for ball.. the ball is a shitload harder than it use to be .. so now we have all new club design to play with.

Find an old Balata ball and hit your modern PW, the thing will bring rain and spin back at you on the green like a bastard. The Titleist Tour 90 is a good one to find.
The new ball spins way less - so we can move the COG back in the clubs, and launch it with more control and less spin.

Rinse and repeat the above and all of a sudden, you have a 25 degree 6 iron and a 21 degree 5 iron. (TourFit 3 iron is 21 degrees)

The ball dictates what the club manufacturers can do and the club manufacturers control both the ball and the clubs so they can build a set to pretty much any swing speed and launch.

markTHEblake
25th August 2023, 12:44 PM
The 60 will be the main greenside bunker club and for the inevitable flop shot as needed Would that be like after getting the long drive on the 18th then up next to Par5 in 2, and just need a simple flop over a bunker, with everyone watching? Yeh, definitely handy club to have.

BrisVegas
25th August 2023, 01:40 PM
Would that be like after getting the long drive on the 18th then up next to Par5 in 2, and just need a simple flop over a bunker, with everyone watching? Yeh, definitely handy club to have.

That sounds like Kooralbyn, way too long ago, when I could hit it ok.

BrisVegas
25th August 2023, 01:45 PM
If we have sand.. always 50 or 54. You just have more margin for error and i know the ball isnt going to stop where it lands. 50 out of a bunker - so much easier if you have green to play with
If no sand.. still 54 if i have some green to work with.. see above
If no sand and no green - 58 and cup the left wrist to get the ball to land soft.

as for ball.. the ball is a shitload harder than it use to be .. so now we have all new club design to play with.

Find an old Balata ball and hit your modern PW, the thing will bring rain and spin back at you on the green like a bastard. The Titleist Tour 90 is a good one to find.
The new ball spins way less - so we can move the COG back in the clubs, and launch it with more control and less spin.

Rinse and repeat the above and all of a sudden, you have a 25 degree 6 iron and a 21 degree 5 iron. (TourFit 3 iron is 21 degrees)

The ball dictates what the club manufacturers can do and the club manufacturers control both the ball and the clubs so they can build a set to pretty much any swing speed and launch.

struth, I didn't realise things had changed that much. My missus bought be a box of ProV1's last xmas (as a hint to get out there and play again), but I haven't opened them yet. Still working through the various balls I've had in my bag since 2016 (and they were "AAA" condition on ebay).

I'm hitting the new Titleist stuff next week at a demo day. Will be interesting to see if I notice any difference in flight (although it will be with range balls).

BrisVegas
25th August 2023, 01:47 PM
48*, 53*, 58*?

yeah that works.

virge666
25th August 2023, 03:33 PM
struth, I didn't realise things had changed that much. My missus bought be a box of ProV1's last xmas (as a hint to get out there and play again), but I haven't opened them yet. Still working through the various balls I've had in my bag since 2016 (and they were "AAA" condition on ebay).

I'm hitting the new Titleist stuff next week at a demo day. Will be interesting to see if I notice any difference in flight (although it will be with range balls).

Been living on trackman for 2 months and cant tell you how good basic golf shafts are now. consistent and stable out of even the OEM stuff.

markTHEblake
25th August 2023, 06:11 PM
That sounds like Kooralbyn, way too long ago, when I could hit it ok. Coolangatta Tweed... ozgolf champs.

BrisVegas
25th August 2023, 06:41 PM
Coolangatta Tweed... ozgolf champs.

I don't remember that. Gee, I'm getting old.

TheNuclearOne
25th August 2023, 11:25 PM

New ball at this point is probably a little bit of a misnomer as the Titleist balata has been gone for almost 30 years.......thankfully :D

davepuppies
26th August 2023, 06:45 AM
I find modern club lofts a bit annoying, but more annoyed I can’t hit 3/4 shots to find in between distances for full swings, hence I play 5 wedges and give up options at the top end of the bag.

Whilst I find it extremely rare to not have enough firepower to get home in 2 on a par 5 with either my 4 iron or 5 wood, it would be nice to have the option of my 2 iron to hit low bullets of the tee into the wind on tighter holes

My wedges are 45,50,53,57,60

markTHEblake
20th September 2023, 09:44 PM

For mine - just easy to understand and easy to execute. It also means i use my 58 degree maybe once a round maybe never.

https://dggolfpro.com/

We use the bounce all the time. it just works better. I think he did a video with Rick Shields as well a while back.

And for the record - his eBook is $1.50 on Amazon. :)

for some unexplainable reason Dan Grieves posts have been popping up on my Instagram feed for the last few weeks.
He is a genius! tried a couple of his suggestions, works right out of the box.

I need that book.

Toxic
21st September 2023, 06:09 AM
for some unexplainable reason Dan Grieves posts have been popping up on my Instagram feed for the last few weeks.He is a genius! tried a couple of his suggestions, works right out of the box.I need that book. What is his insta handle?

virge666
21st September 2023, 11:52 PM
for some unexplainable reason Dan Grieves posts have been popping up on my Instagram feed for the last few weeks.
He is a genius! tried a couple of his suggestions, works right out of the box.

I need that book.

Wait till you get into his pitching and Bunker play.

:)

Just start with Rick Shields' video and work from there.

What i like is that it is a system - and it works and it is repeatable and easy to work through. Release 2 is dead set gold.

markTHEblake
22nd September 2023, 08:22 AM
Thanks.. when you hit very short chip shots, can you "flush" it, or do they always come off the clubface dead?

TourFit
22nd September 2023, 01:49 PM
I reckon ALL irons should dispense with the numbers on the bottom and just mark the clubs with loft numbers...

It is true that the modern day 4-AW set is likely to be nearly exactly the same as a 3-PW set for not only lofts, but lengths too.
It just frazzles golfers that they believe they now hit a club further than they used to with their previous set :rolleyes:

markTHEblake
22nd September 2023, 09:51 PM
Yeah, but then they would lie about the loft. Its not the numbers on the heads that matter, its the headshape. 8 iron up are pitching clubs. Wont be long before golfers wont have any mid irons, just 7-8 wedges.

virge666
25th September 2023, 09:25 AM
Thanks.. when you hit very short chip shots, can you "flush" it, or do they always come off the clubface dead?

Both.

the release 1 - is very solid as you have gripped down the shaft and standing quite close to the ball.

release 2 - is more dead - and has more spin - you get a very "flat cut shot" feel

the spinner which is release one setup with release 2 action.. bounce twice spin shot.