PDA

View Full Version : RIP Daves

markTHEblake
4th July 2023, 07:55 AM
Daves just posted this on Facebook. I guess thats why he has been quiet here
From the Saville Family: we sadly advise that David passed away last Saturday (24th June). A private funeral will be held tomorrow - drinks/refreshments will be held at Redland Bay Golf Club from 3:30pm onwards to celebrate his life. Gonna miss his golf club wisdom and all round good blokeness

perci
4th July 2023, 08:25 AM
Daves just posted this on Facebook. I guess thats why he has been quiet here Gonna miss his golf club wisdom and all round good blokeness

Yea heard about this yesterday , very sad indeed, RIP Dave!

goughy
4th July 2023, 09:13 AM
Just a bloody nice guy!

gazgolf1
4th July 2023, 09:52 AM
RIP Dave.

PeteyD
4th July 2023, 10:16 AM
Very sad day. I will be going to the club today to say goodbye.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

goonie
4th July 2023, 10:18 AM
Great bloke, enjoyed playing quite a few rounds with Dave when I was at Reddy Bay and a few OzGolf events as well, he will be missed RIP

Sookie1
4th July 2023, 10:22 AM
Absolute gentleman.

AndyP
4th July 2023, 10:43 AM
I've moved everyone's posts to this new thread, as it shouldn't be hidden away in another thread.

RIP Daves. A great contributor here, and organiser of many OZgolf rounds.

BobsYourUncle
4th July 2023, 10:48 AM
Played with him a few times at Redland Bay. Sad day.

MAZA68
4th July 2023, 11:46 AM
Great bloke and always enjoyable to have a round with. Played a few Reddy Bay events with Daves in years gone by. The golfing gods will be enjoying his wisdom. RIP

Grunt
4th July 2023, 11:53 AM
Saw it on Facebook last night, sad news. Like everyone else has said previously, all road great bloke, will be missed. RIP Daves

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

jimandr
4th July 2023, 12:26 PM
I am sad to hear this news.

Daves was an Ozgolfer I connected with immediately as we had many things in common. A love of golf obviously, but also music, and sadly experience of skin cancer. I hope that wasn't the cause of his passing. We were similar in age as well.

Thanks also to Blakey for posting the news. I didn't know about it until reading this.

Dotty
4th July 2023, 12:33 PM
RIP Daves.

We crossed paths at OzGolf Champs in three states over the last decade. A true gentleman and a great bloke.

Thank you for your contributions to the forum.

markTHEblake
4th July 2023, 12:36 PM
Gonna be one heck of a garage sale for the lefties.

Dave helped me out with some club builds. I didnt ask becuase he was cheap ( and he didnt need the money), its because I trusted his work. He is an exceptional tradesman for a corporate finance banker :-) gonna miss his work and friendship.

https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=57662&stc=1

Johnny Canuck
4th July 2023, 01:11 PM
Sad to hear this.

I never met him in person, but he was quite pleasant to converse with on here over the years.

3Puttpete
4th July 2023, 01:29 PM
I liked how he thought almost everyone in the world was an idiot but opened up that black marker group to anyone who wanted a hit.

damoocow
4th July 2023, 01:36 PM
Absolute top bloke who will be missed.

AndyP
4th July 2023, 01:53 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230704/938c39d47e4ff9173ef60596382ac35f.jpg

Gollfer69
4th July 2023, 01:56 PM
RIP Daves

markTHEblake
4th July 2023, 03:03 PM
I liked how he thought almost everyone in the world was an idiot but opened up that black marker group to anyone who wanted a hit. Speaking of that. We can do an annual Daves blackmarker event at Redland bay, every July. Everyone has to bring two drivers :-)

3Puttpete
4th July 2023, 03:06 PM
Speaking of that. We can do an annual Daves blackmarker event at Redland bay, every July. Everyone has to bring two drivers :-)

I like the way you think

CobraSS
4th July 2023, 04:02 PM
Sad news, only meet and played with him once at a Reddy Bay day, but a good bloke and loved his golf...

Sookie1
4th July 2023, 04:06 PM
Speaking of that. We can do an annual Daves blackmarker event at Redland bay, every July. Everyone has to bring two drivers :-) I think that's a great idea.

PeteyD
4th July 2023, 04:43 PM
Some kind words were spoken and we remembered Dave. There were even some photos from OzGolf champs on the display. Glasses were raised on behalf of everyone here, and your kind words passed on. RIP mate.

perci
4th July 2023, 05:16 PM
Thanks for shareing that Pete, I'll have a Toast to him now!

LeftyHoges
4th July 2023, 05:23 PM
RIP Daves. Many a PM back and forth about the pain of being a lefty, and the offer of a head or club to try out. Played my first ever OZgolf Champs round with you at Bribie Island, couldn't believe you were off whatever handicap it was, struck the ball magically. A true gentleman.
I liked how he thought almost everyone in the world was an idiot but opened up that black marker group to anyone who wanted a hit.My spirit animal.
Speaking of that. We can do an annual Daves blackmarker event at Redland bay, every July. Everyone has to bring two drivers :-)Not to get too bogged down in semantics in a thread like this, but when are the Back Marker events? (once a month? Late / early in the month).

I only ask as I'd like to attend and if it's near CoC at the end of July it might make it harder.

AndyP
4th July 2023, 05:28 PM
Some kind words were spoken and we remembered Dave. There were even some photos from OzGolf champs on the display. Glasses were raised on behalf of everyone here, and your kind words passed on. RIP mate.
Thanks Petey.
:(

AndyP
4th July 2023, 05:35 PM
Not to get too bogged down in semantics in a thread like this, but when are the Back Marker events? (once a month? Late / early in the month).

I only ask as I'd like to attend and if it's near CoC at the end of July it might make it harder.
It seems to move around, although typically second or third Friday of the month seems common, so mid-month.
Search Results - ozgolf.net forums (https://www.ozgolf.net/search.php?searchid=4967456)

markTHEblake
4th July 2023, 05:35 PM
Lefty.. redland bay have a blackmarker event last Friday of the month (?).. Dave often put an invite in 1st Tee thread.

Hux
4th July 2023, 06:04 PM
Thanks Peteyd. I am over in WA at the moment and got a call from a mutual friend who is a member at Redland Bay who let me know yesterday morning. Apparently Dave had a very short battle with cancer - clearly very advanced when diagnosed.

I played a lot with Dave back before my work got in the road. We would often car pool depending on which direction we were heading. I remember asking about his early retirement and he told me that his work was totally consuming and left no time for anything other than time with family.
And he didnt want to be like the old guys around him that worked and then died, he wanted to enjoy life and do things while he was young enough.

RIP Dave, we had many a good yarn and many a good game of golf. We were like bookends, both 195cm and not light 🙄

PeteyD
4th July 2023, 07:24 PM
This month's black marker is 14th July. Next week.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Lucasto23
4th July 2023, 08:16 PM
Great bloke and always enjoyable to have a round with. Played a few Reddy Bay events with Daves in years gone by. The golfing gods will be enjoying his wisdom. RIP

I will miss the mid round sprays,the dry wit that you could only tip your cap too and a gentleman of our game and humble little forum who did not suffer fools RIP Mr Saville

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

peter_rs
4th July 2023, 08:48 PM
Rip Dave, agreed that he wanted to enjoy retirement

damoocow
4th July 2023, 09:31 PM
Speaking of that. We can do an annual Daves blackmarker event at Redland bay, every July. Everyone has to bring two drivers :-)

Great idea.
Rules should be different driver each 9.

Peppas
5th July 2023, 04:44 AM
RIP Daves. Thanks for all your advice over the years.

Captain Nemo
6th July 2023, 07:55 PM
OMG just read this!
So sad, played and shared a cart with Dave in a memorable round at RACV one Vic Champs….
Very knowledgeable guy, and a gentleman…
Will be sadly missed here.
Vale…..

Jarro
9th July 2023, 01:12 PM
Just got home from our weekly Sunday round at Nudgee where I heard news about DaveS ( from Perci and Hux)
So very sad to hear this true gentleman has left the building. He was a lovely guy and great fun to have a round with. Always well educated on the latest gear and keen to see what new clubs you might have had in your bag. Just a really nice guy.
Condolences to his family, and to his OzGolf family who he always had time for.
R.I.P Dave. 😞

gwavz
9th July 2023, 04:07 PM
I didn’t know Daves, but sounds like he was a nice guy.
Sad to hear. F Cancer.
Here’s raising a beer to old mate Daves and his family.

BrisVegas
11th July 2023, 12:08 PM
OMG such sad news. What a truly lovely bloke. Glad I got the chance to know him and ride in his AMG.

RIP mate.

Hatchman
11th July 2023, 07:13 PM
I’m shocked and saddened to hear of Daves passing. RIP mate.
I will miss your equipment comparison reviews.

petethepilot
17th July 2023, 05:55 PM
I am very very sad to hear this news. Dave was an absolute gentleman.
Great company and knowledgeable about the game!
RIP Dave. You will be missed.

PTP

razaar
18th July 2023, 09:48 AM
Sorry to read about Dave's. Played quite a few rounds with him at Reddy so I knew about his issues with skin cancers. Sad news to come back to.

TheNuclearOne
23rd July 2023, 09:13 AM
RIP Daves, nothing but good dealings with him, like everyone. Obviously a top bloke and a world class ho.

TourFit
15th August 2023, 11:41 AM
RIP Daves... I never met him but always had good chats re ho-ing and club work. :cry: