PDA

View Full Version : 2007 AFL Season

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

AndyP
25th October 2006, 12:43 PM
The fixture: http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=fixture&spg=2007

Bring on Round 1 and a winning start to the season.

Fishman Dan
25th October 2006, 01:04 PM
...and here i was thinking that your post meant the Hawks were playing Carlton in Rd 1.

Any early predictions AP? I'm tipping Carlton to go close to the spoon again. Only a year or two of those predictions remain :roll:

I see typically that Collingwood get a fair chunk of Friday night games (therefore TV coverage).. only Essendon and the Bulldogs - who get a 3 week run of Fridays - get anything like it.

AndyP
25th October 2006, 03:15 PM
I'm eyeing off possible trips.

Not sure if I'll make one to Melbourne next year. Hawks only play in Melbourne three weeks in a row once, and two of those games are at the Telstra Dome. In fact, a new addition to the family will probably stop any extended trips away.

I'd seriously think about making the trek to Sydney for the Rd22 Hawks game though. I'd try to bring the golf clubs too.

Early predictions: Hawks somewhere around the 8, maybe in, maybe out. Carlton somewhere around the top 15, maybe in, maybe out.
At this stage, I think West Coast will go back to back.

Fishman Dan
25th October 2006, 03:54 PM
Don't disagree, but look out for the Swans again in Everitt has any impact. If anything that's where they lacked this year - 2nd place really flattered them. If he does his "be big and stupid and kick a few goals along the way" routine, he's a chance of playing in The Big Show.

Collingwood to fail miserably, and Malthouse first coach to be axed. I like to live in hope anyway.

AndyP
25th October 2006, 03:56 PM
but look out for the Swans again in Everitt has any impact. If anything that's where they lacked this year - 2nd place really flattered them. If he does his "be big and stupid and kick a few goals along the way" routine, he's a chance of playing in The Big Show.
Not sure about Spida's goal kicking ability. Didn't seem to bother the scorers that much recently. Definitely a fantastic tap ruckman though. And of course, he's an angel now that he is in Sydney.

Fishman Dan
25th October 2006, 06:25 PM
Not sure about Spida's goal kicking ability. Didn't seem to bother the scorers that much recently. Definitely a fantastic tap ruckman though. And of course, he's an angel now that he is in Sydney.

No, he's still a ****. Just that we tolerate him now... like we did that other ex-Saint.. Plugger something.. ;)

just
25th October 2006, 07:42 PM
There's only one Tony Lockett!!

AndyP
25th October 2006, 08:20 PM
Don't forget Barry Thug Hall. Nick Davis is a changed man in Sydney too.......

Fishman Dan
25th October 2006, 08:32 PM
I wasn't going to go too far into history. We've also had Dermie take a spell up here. That is, came up here and got repeatedly suspended.

AndyP
25th October 2006, 08:47 PM
Reported 17 times for 39 weeks all up. Great record!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H__eNg_bgiY

jimandr
25th October 2006, 10:43 PM
mmmm, it's a bit early to make predictions, before player drafts and trading periods and the like, but I see 2007 as another hard year for Victorian teams.

There is no reason why West Coast, Swans, Adelaide and Freo would go backwards. Even Port showed signs of improvement at the end of the year.

Apart from the Bulldogs and maybe St Kilda, the Vic clubs are all ordinary, either rebuilding or simply lacking talent. I wouldn't cry over Malthouse, but I think Laidley at North will be first to go, or maybe Clarkson at Hawks. If either are at the foot of the table and losing five in a row, it is goodbye.

Actually, the other one who might go, if they lose five in a row, is Lethal Leigh. I don't see them having a good year.

Fishman Dan
25th October 2006, 10:51 PM
Good link AP. It offered me this as a reward for watching that much Dermie..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H8MbFVJHUw

gazgolf1
31st October 2006, 08:19 PM
Woah Cloke boys goorne....I did'nt think they were too bad.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=157329

Fishman Dan
1st November 2006, 11:10 PM
Carlton also declared that they won't pick up former team champions sons under the father-son rule, so it should be an interesting pre-season draft. A Cloke would fit in nicely... to a team with an apalling backline.

AndyP
9th February 2007, 03:46 PM
It's getting closer, lads. Pre-season starts this month. \\:D/

The big news this week is the deal finally being done between 7, 10 & Fox, with Fox getting 4 games, 7 with 2 and 10 with 2. Fox will also show 7's Friday night game live in NSW and Qld to make it 5.

I'm not getting Fox, but a mate who lives close definitely will now. Although Fox Footy won't be coming back, they will bring back 'The Winners' and 'On the Couch', plus a couple of other shows.

Fish, you must be pumped about this news?

Courty
9th February 2007, 03:50 PM
Is it time to start the GayFL jokes yet?

Fishman Dan
9th February 2007, 03:51 PM
Absolutely ecstatic. Vindicates my decision to get on executive committee of the strata. The outlook for Sydney-siders especially is basically a weekend-long footy fest.

Means i get to see Carlton games live too!

dc68
9th February 2007, 03:56 PM
Yawwwwwwwwwwn

McCoy
9th February 2007, 04:56 PM
Is it time to start the GayFL jokes yet?

Why not, you can never tire of them. And here's a link to Ian Roberts Australian Story interview http://www.abc.net.au/austory/content/2005/s1468762.htm

What sport did he play again? And he played for "Manly" and the "Cowboys", YeeeeHaaa!

I'll have to go to a Swans game this year, never been to the SCG. Swans play Bears April 15 - may give that a go. Shouldn't be too many there.

Fishman Dan
9th February 2007, 06:07 PM
McCoy - that's not fair generalising about a gayboy playing a tough mans game. After all, it's not like he ran around sticking his finger in blokes ar$eholes.

Courty
9th February 2007, 10:29 PM
McCoy - that's not fair generalising about a gayboy playing a tough mans game. After all, it's not like he ran around sticking his finger in blokes ar$eholes.

...or shagging his teammates missus. :roll:

Moe Norman
9th February 2007, 11:19 PM
Collingwood pre-season trial at the Coast - booyah!

terryand
9th February 2007, 11:34 PM
Collingwood pre-season trial at the Coast - booyah!

You poor bugger Moe, now you get to feel the pain first hand :???:

Terry.

Fishman Dan
11th February 2007, 08:47 PM
...or shagging his teammates missus. :roll:

Definately not ettitquette, but last i heard this was not an act of homosexuality. ;)

Courty
11th February 2007, 10:09 PM
What does orientation have to do with anything? Roberts admitted he's gay, and everyone got back to business.

Carey is just a grub.

AndyP
11th February 2007, 10:10 PM
How is Roberts assault case going anyway?

Fishman Dan
11th February 2007, 10:11 PM
I think most blokes would take Steven's missus over riding the herschey highway mate. You're fighting a dud battle Courty - give it up ;)

Moe Norman
11th February 2007, 10:14 PM
Carey is just a grub. At least it was one on one consensual sex champ ;)

Courty
11th February 2007, 10:21 PM
At least it was one on one consensual sex champ ;)

LOL. I'll pay that one.

chappy1970
14th February 2007, 02:35 PM
My wish for the coming AFL season is that Essendon DO NOT win one game....that would be sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Fishman Dan
14th February 2007, 04:55 PM
Ditto. 1 - So they hurt bad, 2 - Carlton can't possibly come last then!

AndyP
14th February 2007, 05:07 PM
Ditto. It would also mean our winning streak over Essendscum would stretch to 5, after many years of pain.

Fishman Dan
16th February 2007, 11:21 PM
Saw the Swans vs Collingwood tonight. Fair to say it was a hit out for the kiddies, on Nth Sydney oval which is far too small for footy. I think it was 15 vs 15.

One thing to come out of it - Shneider's first hamstring injury of the year. On the run with the ball, poised to kick, he went down like he'd been shot. Not a happy camper, wouldn't expect to see him for a few weeks into the regular season.

For what it's worth, the Swans won by about 3 goals.

Grunt
17th February 2007, 06:49 PM
Question from a guy that has absolutely no idea about AFL.
How many a side is it normally?

AndyP
17th February 2007, 07:13 PM
18 on the field. 4 on the bench (unlimited rotation).

Grunt
17th February 2007, 07:21 PM
Thanks Andy

Fishman Dan
18th February 2007, 10:47 AM
Question from a guy that has absolutely no idea about AFL.
How many a side is it normally?

Have you finally given up on the Rabbitoh's? ;)

Grunt
18th February 2007, 08:36 PM
Have you finally given up on the Rabbitoh's? ;)

That will never happen.

Fishman Dan
18th February 2007, 09:34 PM
Even if their home games look like a mardi gras? :lol:

Courty
18th February 2007, 09:37 PM

ROFL :mrgreen:

Grunt
19th February 2007, 12:38 AM
Nope but if they get the straight people that watch the mardi gras to attend I don't think money will be a problem any longer, attendances will be huge.

Fishman Dan
25th February 2007, 09:37 AM
Competitive footy is underway - and the BLUES HAD A WIN! The next best things is that the Bombers are goneski!

They should have belted them but took the foot off the accelerator... or as the channel 10 commentator - had more wind left in their tank :roll:

Looked like a big crowd too!

Jarro
25th February 2007, 10:15 AM
Very exciting game that one, i sat riveted to the TV

terryand
25th February 2007, 10:54 AM
Competitive footy is underway - and the BLUES HAD A WIN! The next best things is that the Bombers are goneski!

They should have belted them but took the foot off the accelerator... or as the channel 10 commentator - had more wind left in their tank :roll:

Looked like a big crowd too!

haven't you been here before fishy.

preseason winners......

regular season wooden spooners :-s

Terry.

Fishman Dan
25th February 2007, 11:08 AM
Tez - we'll take anything these days ;)

Good hitout for a young team, although there's alot to suggest that they still have a long way to go. I maintain hope that we will finish higher than the Bombers this year!

terryand
25th February 2007, 11:42 AM
Don't just gun for the Bombers, how about the Hawks aswell ;)

Terry.

AndyP
25th February 2007, 02:12 PM
Don't just gun for the Bombers, how about the Hawks aswell ;)
He's being realistic.

Fishman Dan
25th February 2007, 08:35 PM
Carlton vs the Tasmanian Hawks next week!

AndyP
25th February 2007, 08:38 PM
Wanna fly down and play Barny while we are there, Fish?

Fishman Dan
25th February 2007, 08:42 PM
You find the tickets are my bags are packed.

Apparently Daniel Kerr is on the wrong side of the law. Another in a long list of Eagles. He's playing tonight but there's a court case on Friday. Go the Eagles!

Click Me! (http://www.smh.com.au/news/afl/eagle-kerr-arrested/2007/02/25/1172338454900.html)

BrisWesty
25th February 2007, 10:22 PM
Poor Wan Kerr.

The Cats looked pretty good today, but then they looked pretty good at the same time last year. I reserve my judgement until round 22.

chappy1970
28th February 2007, 09:29 AM
The first part of my pre-season wish has come true, Bombers have lost their first game. May it be the first of many!!!!!!!!!!

Fishman Dan
28th February 2007, 09:44 AM
Seems like there are several teams in the running for the spoon this year. Definite contenders (other than Carlton!) include Collingwood, Richmond, but my tip is the Bombers. They have a talented team, but seem to lack cohesion. Not sure is Mal Michael will give them what they want.

Bruce
1st March 2007, 10:37 AM
The Bombers have me somewhat torn now. They drafted a kid I used to play cricket with in Bachar El Houli.

The kid was gun as a junior. He won the B&F for the competition with 35 votes playing 12 games. The one game he only got the 2 votes he broke his arm in the second quarter and had to leave the field.

We'll see how he goes in the big league.

chappy1970
1st March 2007, 10:48 AM
The Bombers have me somewhat torn now. They drafted a kid I used to play cricket with in Bachar El Houli.

The kid was gun as a junior. He won the B&F for the competition with 35 votes playing 12 games. The one game he only got the 2 votes he broke his arm in the second quarter and had to leave the field.

I hope he plays well Bruce, but as I have stated more than once, may he be a member of a team that does not win a game this year...:smt042

BrisWesty
1st March 2007, 08:52 PM

Where's Bachar El Houli, and what's the name of the kid?

Bruce
1st March 2007, 08:57 PM
Where's Bachar El Houli, and what's the name of the kid?

That's his name. Bachar El Houli.

BrisWesty
2nd March 2007, 09:52 PM
Figured that Bruce, was just winding you up. ;-)

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/dysfunctional-whitnalls/2007/03/01/1172338796076.html

Mate, with family like that, who needs friends!

Makes you wonder what the vice captain (sit down Ben Cousins, we're not talking that kind of vice) and the rest of the team did wrong to not get the captaincy.

Imagine if this had been the Krakouer brothers. They never would have had a possession if they'd had an AVO out against each other.

Hypothetically, what would happen if you were picked to play against a team where one of the opposition had an AVO against you. They could force you to full forward by running around on their half back line.

AndyP
2nd March 2007, 10:46 PM
It's Carlton. Say no more.

Fishman Dan
4th March 2007, 01:46 AM
http://www.rwh.org.au/emplibrary/rwh_foundation/CARLTON_LOGO.JPG

3oneday
4th March 2007, 04:27 AM
Win a trial Dan ?

AndyP
4th March 2007, 10:16 AM
Give him a break, Pete. They had a win, and he obviously stayed up to watch it. So let him be a happy chappy while it lasts.

Fishman Dan
4th March 2007, 10:19 AM
Give him a break, Pete. They had a win, and he obviously stayed up to watch it. So let him be a happy chappy while it lasts.

:sad: :sad: :sad:

Hey, it's a win, it's 2 wins in a row, and it's bragging rights over the admin of this godforsaken hellhole. Take it for all it's worth I reckon.

AndyP
4th March 2007, 10:23 AM
it's bragging rights I would consider that to be debatable considering the time of the year. From what I've heard Carlton were pretty good though.

Fishman Dan
4th March 2007, 10:52 AM
It was a good game AP - both teams went at it pretty hard and missed several chances in front of goal. At this stage it looks like there's some hope for the Blues, with some depth coming off the bench. Kouta got a few touches but didn't use the ball too well.

Of course Crawford's input was overrated.

Jarro
4th March 2007, 11:19 AM
Go Lions 8)

Fishman Dan
4th March 2007, 07:41 PM
Go Lions 8)

Bandwagon on platform 2 departing late August...

terryand
4th March 2007, 07:56 PM
Only took half the day Jarro, but he couldn't help himself could he :smt002

I'm surprised he held out this long :-D

Terry.

AndyP
4th March 2007, 07:59 PM
Some of us have learnt not to bother wasting our time retorting to jarro's bandwagon posts. Shame on you, Fish.

Fishman Dan
12th March 2007, 08:54 AM
http://www.rwh.org.au/emplibrary/rwh_foundation/CARLTON_LOGO.JPGhttp://www.rwh.org.au/emplibrary/rwh_foundation/CARLTON_LOGO.JPGhttp://www.rwh.org.au/emplibrary/rwh_foundation/CARLTON_LOGO.JPG
http://www.rwh.org.au/emplibrary/rwh_foundation/CARLTON_LOGO.JPGhttp://www.rwh.org.au/emplibrary/rwh_foundation/CARLTON_LOGO.JPGhttp://www.rwh.org.au/emplibrary/rwh_foundation/CARLTON_LOGO.JPG

Courty
12th March 2007, 09:15 AM
Ooooh look. Dan just learnt how to post images. :roll:

3oneday
12th March 2007, 09:20 AM
Did they win another trial ?

AndyP
12th March 2007, 09:22 AM
Red hot favourites to win the preseason cup.
Red hot favourites to win the wooden spoon. ;)

Fishman Dan
12th March 2007, 09:31 AM
Ooooh look. Dan just learnt how to post images. :roll:

9 of them. :D

3 wins in a row Pete... we'll take each and every one. That actually looked bloody good the other night... especially once they started losing by 37 points too.

Red hot favourites to win the preseason cup.
Red hot favourites to win the wooden spoon. ;)

Did we have a bet going about higher ladder position at the end of the year?

3oneday
12th March 2007, 09:36 AM
3 wins in a row Pete... we'll take each and every one. sooo, you're on 12 points then ???

AndyP
12th March 2007, 09:46 AM
I think there was a lesson to be learnt from the moocow saga.

Fishman Dan
12th March 2007, 09:56 AM
If you're taking tips from him my opinion of you has changed greatly. I was thinking more along the lines of sporting a changed avatar and posting threads on ISG stating your love of the other team...

Jarro
12th March 2007, 10:01 AM
Lions

AndyP
12th March 2007, 10:11 AM
You don't actually have finals aspirations do you?
Are you sure you don't want to take this bet up with one of the other wooden spooner chance supporters, instead of me?

An avatar change sounds like a good bet. How long for?

No point in me posting on ISG as I don't post there or read it.

Fishman Dan
12th March 2007, 10:23 AM
You don't actually have finals aspirations do you?
Are you sure you don't want to take this bet up with one of the other wooden spooner chance supporters, instead of me?

So you're talking up the chances of the Hawks getting into the finals? Bwahahahaahahhahahaa.

An avatar change sounds like a good bet. How long for?

Until the new season is just harsh. Until Christmas? OzGolf champs?

No point in me posting on ISG as I don't post there or read it.

But it's an easy way to whip up a frenzy of reactions, being the melting-pot of society that it is.

Moe Norman
12th March 2007, 10:29 AM
AP - you don't honestly think the Hawks have finals aspirations do you?

Obviously Fishy knows the Blues are no chance, but the Hawks rabble aren't much better.

AndyP
12th March 2007, 10:30 AM
So you're talking up the chances of the Hawks getting into the finals? Bwahahahaahahhahahaa.
No, I'm not actually, but they'll probably be just outside. Maybe just inside if all the moons are aligned correctly. I don't expect Carlton to be that close at this stage.

Until the new season is just harsh. Until Christmas? OzGolf champs?
Until the Champs sounds like a plan, and if it's impossible for one side to pass the other on the ladder before the season ends, it starts from then.

But it's an easy way to whip up a frenzy of reactions, being the melting-pot of society that it is.I guess I can post there, but I don't think I'll need to.

Fishman Dan
12th March 2007, 10:36 AM
AP - you don't honestly think the Hawks have finals aspirations do you?

Obviously Fishy knows the Blues are no chance, but the Hawks rabble aren't much better.

Because the Pies are a lay-down misere?

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahaaahahahahahha.....

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

3oneday
12th March 2007, 10:37 AM
I think he fell off his seat....

Moe Norman
12th March 2007, 11:12 AM
well we ran 5th last year, versus a wooden spoon for Carlton - so I like our chances a bit more than the Blues ;)

Fishman Dan
12th March 2007, 11:26 AM
Just like a Collingwood supporter... LIVING IN THE PAST.

Another year later, Buckley is another year older (which means another 10% less per game he'll play), all of those players who left the club are another year from wearing the Black and White.

If you come 10th this year, it's been a good year.

Moe Norman
12th March 2007, 11:28 AM
If you come 10th this year, it's been a good year. True, because we will still have finished at least 5 spots above the blues.

shavey
13th March 2007, 10:29 PM
Watch for the Lions to start off well.

Don't know how long they can sustain it but there have been some very impressive younger players in their NAB games.

PeteyD
14th March 2007, 07:12 AM
I think the Lions will surprise those who are expecting them to be near the bottom. Making the finals is a tough ask though. I expect they will win more games than the Reds do this year ...

3oneday
14th March 2007, 07:49 AM
I expect they will win more games than the Reds do this year ...even Souths/Carlton will achieve this lofty goal I reckon :lol:

Fishman Dan
14th March 2007, 07:52 AM
even Souths/Carlton will achieve this lofty goal I reckon :lol:

I'll thank you not to use those 2 words in the same sentence again please.

It's hard to say any team coached by Lethal will do poorly.

Grunt
14th March 2007, 08:02 AM
even Souths/Carlton will achieve this lofty goal I reckon :lol:
Hey dont drag Souths down to Carltons level;)

Moe Norman
14th March 2007, 08:58 AM
yeah, at least the blues managed not to be booted from the comp

AndyP
14th March 2007, 09:37 AM
It's funny listening to people get hyped over pre-season form.

shavey
14th March 2007, 09:54 AM
Not getting hyped AP but just some good signs which are hard to look past.

And the Lions are quite lucky they aren't playing the NAB final at home as it hasn't been a happy hunting ground of late.

Moe Norman
14th March 2007, 10:41 AM
the nab cup final is a kiss of death

Fishman Dan
14th March 2007, 11:35 AM
We'll take it. Besides these young blokes at Carlton need as much match footy exposure as they can get in the next 2-3 years. Everyone may talk it down, but you can bet the two teams on Saturday night will go at it hammer and tong.

Should be a good game. Any word on Brisbane's latest whinge that "there's no accomodation in Melbourne - can we move the game to the Gabba?"

Moe Norman
21st March 2007, 05:26 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/COLLINGWOOD-FOOTBALL-CLUB-MAGPIES-GOLF-BALL-MARKER_W0QQitemZ290094027154QQcategoryZ18928QQrdZ1 QQcmdZViewItem

dc68
21st March 2007, 05:41 PM
$47.50 Ffs

Fishman Dan
21st March 2007, 06:13 PM
That's almost an entire weeks dole cheque for a Collingwood supporter!

Moe Norman
21st March 2007, 08:14 PM
its about $1,000,047.50 more than the Carlton Football Club can afford.

Fishman Dan
21st March 2007, 08:32 PM
Dicky's back. We're in the clear now ;)

Moe Norman
21st March 2007, 08:34 PM
assuming he doesn't go to jail for extortion!

Fishman Dan
21st March 2007, 09:57 PM
assuming he doesn't go to jail for extortion!

He can run the club from there, as long as his money is good ;)

Johnny Canuck
21st March 2007, 11:43 PM
Hey GUys,

I am in the player fantasy footy comp that is run through the afl website. As you all follow your respective clubs, are there any players out there that you would recommend that I pick up. The comp is run with a salary cap, so if you have any young guys that would be cheap, but would score alot of points, please help a brother out.

Fishman Dan
22nd March 2007, 12:16 AM
JC - I haven't been involved with one for some time, but the key obviously is to find the value for money. I can't really advise, I've been invited into a comp but don't really have much idea of what the players are worth.

Carlton is chock-full of youngsters who may not have a hefty price tag such as Marc Murphy and Bryce Gibbs, but both these guys are very young and may not play a lot of minutes, though are champions in the making. Others to look out for are Kade Simpson, Cameron Cloke, Josh Kennedy and Anthony Carazzo - none of them are out and out champions (yet!) but will get a lot of the ball this year.

Hope that helps!

AndyP
22nd March 2007, 06:46 AM
Carlton and Hawthorn are considered two of the youngest sides, so there should be a few bargains there.
Xavier Ellis was our first pick last year, and hasn't played yet. He is expected to play though and should be a gun. He mightn't start Round 1, but should start early. Beau Muston is another one. I could keep naming a lot of newer recruits actually.

Lance Franklin might be a bargain, as he should have a great year. He might have up and down weeks though.

I guess I should start thinking about my Fantasy Footy side.

BrisWesty
22nd March 2007, 08:32 AM
That'll be the only fantasising you'll be doing at the moment (apart from sleep)?

Johnny Canuck
22nd March 2007, 10:56 AM
JC - I haven't been involved with one for some time, but the key obviously is to find the value for money. I can't really advise, I've been invited into a comp but don't really have much idea of what the players are worth.

Carlton is chock-full of youngsters who may not have a hefty price tag such as Marc Murphy and Bryce Gibbs, but both these guys are very young and may not play a lot of minutes, though are champions in the making. Others to look out for are Kade Simpson, Cameron Cloke, Josh Kennedy and Anthony Carazzo - none of them are out and out champions (yet!) but will get a lot of the ball this year.

Hope that helps!

ok, i have marc murphy and kade simpson. simpson is a little expensive, but murphy is still under $300k, which is a bargain for him.
i had carrazzo, but have traded him for grant birchall froim hawthorn.

is kennedy going to see a lot of playing time? i will keep him on my radar.

Johnny Canuck
22nd March 2007, 10:57 AM
Carlton and Hawthorn are considered two of the youngest sides, so there should be a few bargains there.
Xavier Ellis was our first pick last year, and hasn't played yet. He is expected to play though and should be a gun. He mightn't start Round 1, but should start early. Beau Muston is another one. I could keep naming a lot of newer recruits actually.

Lance Franklin might be a bargain, as he should have a great year. He might have up and down weeks though.

I guess I should start thinking about my Fantasy Footy side.

i have read a lot about franklin and he is still pretty cheap as well. ellis is dirt cheap. i am going to keep my eye on him and add him early if he gets any time.

ok, i have just picked up franklin. i also have birchell, what is your opinion on him?

Moe Norman
22nd March 2007, 11:04 AM
Murphy, Gibbs, Franklin are all good pickups and are all in my side.

It's also good to look for blokes who have had an injury layoff but generally get plenty of kicks. Someone like Lappin will be good buying when he makes his comeback, Chris Scott is only $100k and makes plenty of tackles and gets a few kicks.

Young blokes drafted to hopeless clubs like Carlton, Hawthorn and the Kangaroos are generally good pickups because you know they will get game time.

Other good ones are Leroy Jetta at the bombers and Selwood at the Cats

Johnny Canuck
22nd March 2007, 11:56 AM
Murphy, Gibbs, Franklin are all good pickups and are all in my side.

It's also good to look for blokes who have had an injury layoff but generally get plenty of kicks. Someone like Lappin will be good buying when he makes his comeback, Chris Scott is only $100k and makes plenty of tackles and gets a few kicks.

Young blokes drafted to hopeless clubs like Carlton, Hawthorn and the Kangaroos are generally good pickups because you know they will get game time.

Other good ones are Leroy Jetta at the bombers and Selwood at the Cats\

i've picked up gibbs and selwood. when are lappin and scott back? will they be there for the start of the season?

Moe Norman
22nd March 2007, 12:32 PM
Scott is back from day 1, Lappin is having his first practice match in 12 months tonight - if he gets through it he'll start in round 1 apparently.

I'll be watching with interest, as he will go straight into my fantasy side if he is picked for round 1 - he's simply too cheap to ignore.

Courty
22nd March 2007, 01:54 PM
Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere...

Click (http://www.theage.com.au/realfooty/news/afl/drug-abuse-rampant-in-afl/2007/03/10/1173478728591.html)

Grunt
22nd March 2007, 02:43 PM
Is there an Oztips thing set up for afl ?

AP was setting one up with Yahoo tips or something. He said it was better than OzTips

Fishman Dan
22nd March 2007, 03:37 PM
Nah stuff that...I want to go to one place..Oztips.

I think AP set it up at Optus, but as above - one place for all tipping or not at all.

AndyP
22nd March 2007, 05:57 PM
i have read a lot about franklin and he is still pretty cheap as well. ellis is dirt cheap. i am going to keep my eye on him and add him early if he gets any time.

ok, i have just picked up franklin. i also have birchell, what is your opinion on him?
Birchall is the goods. I thought he might have cost a bit of dough considering he was good last year, and got plenty of possessions.

Luke Darcy should be cheap coming back from injury.
I won't be picking Chris Scott, because I think he is a bit of a cripple.

If they gave points for taking dives, Matthew Lloyd would be a must in your side.

Grunt
22nd March 2007, 06:44 PM
Well I will start one at OzTips if that is what everyone wants, let me know and I will do it.

Moe Norman
22nd March 2007, 08:00 PM
whats your point Courty?

everyone in Brisbane knows that half lockyers salary goes up his nose.

Fishman Dan
22nd March 2007, 08:21 PM
It's true, but he hasn't worked out drugs are involved, he just shreds money to a fine powder and snorts it through a $50.

Grunt
22nd March 2007, 08:33 PM
I have heard the rumours that Lockyer was a shirt lifter but not that he liked a snort.

Moe Norman
22nd March 2007, 10:23 PM
I've never heard the one about being a fag, but hes well known in brisbane for the nose candy, and this was well before he was dealing to Wendell :D

oz
23rd March 2007, 04:14 PM
2007 AFL Footy Season - All I can say, as a long-time Carlton Supporter..... that was the best footy season ever! Bring on 2008!! ;) :) :p

Fishman Dan
23rd March 2007, 09:45 PM
2007 AFL Footy Season - All I can say, as a long-time Carlton Supporter..... that was the best footy season ever! Bring on 2008!! ;) :) :p

Everyone, meet my new best friend - Oz.

Nathan Thompson will miss this year for the 'Roos - Carlton's chances of not coming last are increasing with every injury!!

kpac
23rd March 2007, 09:48 PM
carn the blues

AndyP
23rd March 2007, 10:46 PM
Fish, I reckon the Roos are a great chance of finishing last. Edwards might play full forward in Thompson's place, as he kicked a truckload of goals in the VFL last year. Quality bloke too. ;)
I wonder how Sav is going with his NFL ambitions.

Moe Norman
24th March 2007, 09:18 AM
and Richard Pratt has just thrown a bag of cash at the Collingwood CEO and poached him to Carlton.

Innovative bunch those blues - when in doubt throw money at people!

Shame he can't play in the centre for you ;)

Fishman Dan
24th March 2007, 04:55 PM
Rats from a sinking ship Moe ;)

Your 2 years of mocking Carlton are ending. Get in some jabs while you can!

Moe Norman
24th March 2007, 04:58 PM
2 years?

I don't think you've finished higher on the ladder this century?

Jarro
24th March 2007, 05:21 PM
whats your point Courty?

everyone in Brisbane knows that half lockyers salary goes up his nose.

I've never heard that one either Moe.

Got a reliable source you can quote ?

Moe Norman
24th March 2007, 05:29 PM
nope,

same source I had about Ben Cousins over a year ago though ;)

Jarro
24th March 2007, 05:32 PM
nope,

Ok , so it must be a good one.

Seriously, i'd never heard that rumour about Locky before :o

just
24th March 2007, 05:40 PM
nope,

Do you use the same dealer as the two of them?:lol:

Moe Norman
24th March 2007, 05:46 PM
nah,

just a family friend who is a copper.

I never believed his Ben Cousins stories until this week though, but the Lockyer ones I've heard from more than just this bloke.

Fishman Dan
24th March 2007, 05:48 PM
2 years?

I don't think you've finished higher on the ladder this century?

Has it been that long?? :lol:

You're living in the past man! It's all about the future!!

AndyP
30th March 2007, 06:20 PM
Thank God footy is back!!! \\:D/

Bring it on!

Jarro
30th March 2007, 06:33 PM
Thank God footy is back!!! \\:D/

What, it started 3 weeks ago :smt102

Iain
30th March 2007, 06:49 PM
Ok , so it must be a good one.

Seriously, i'd never heard that rumour about Locky before :o

I had.

I also heard that he was out with Wendall the night before that he got done for his drugs.....

Grunt
30th March 2007, 06:51 PM
Jarro he is talking about that other game the druggies play.

AndyP
30th March 2007, 06:58 PM
Go back to your own thread, bumsniffers.

Jarro
30th March 2007, 07:06 PM
kick it to me, kick it to me

Grunt
30th March 2007, 07:32 PM
Kick it, kick it, kick it, kick it Yawn Yawn.

AndyP
30th March 2007, 08:15 PM
Kick it, kick it, kick it, kick it Yawn Yawn.Who would have thought that you would kick it in FOOTball?

Do you guys feel so threatened by the greater sport that you have to make negative comments in this thread to make yourself feel better?

Jarro
30th March 2007, 08:56 PM
not really, we just knew we'd get a rise out've you :p

Guess what, it worked :lol:

Grunt
30th March 2007, 08:57 PM
I have a hook up get me the Gaff!!

AndyP
30th March 2007, 09:20 PM
not really, we just knew we'd get a rise out've you :p

Guess what, it worked :lol:
You think so. :confused:

Courty
30th March 2007, 10:18 PM
the greater sport

So great that no other nation plays it? :roll:

Iain
30th March 2007, 10:34 PM
There's only one true version of FOOTball..... :roll:

AndyP
30th March 2007, 11:16 PM
Please name a sport that has started in this nation that has gone global.
League is hardly an international sport.

Fishman Dan
30th March 2007, 11:30 PM
Come on, I reckon we could fake enough passports to get a team from Lebanon too :roll:

League has such a good international standard we've got Aussies lining up to play for the Kiwi's.... and Kiwi's playing for Australia.

At least AFL players beat the $hit out of the Irish! :p

Courty
30th March 2007, 11:43 PM
Please name a sport that has started in this nation that has gone global.

Err... Cane toad racing, crocodile racing, mile high celebrity shagging. :???: What's that got to do with anything?

League is hardly an international sport.

At least enough countries play it to hold a World Cup. :p

AndyP
31st March 2007, 08:24 AM
Err... Cane toad racing, crocodile racing, mile high celebrity shagging. :???: What's that got to do with anything?Comparing like with like. League is a sport that was adopted from oversea, and was taken from Union anyway. You can't compare it's international popularity with a sport developed in this country.

Aussie Rules is more popular than League in Australia. Unless you are going to argue with TV ratings and crowd numbers?

At least enough countries play it to hold a World Cup. :pI think there are only a few who genuinely play, if you don't include teams like they have in the Cricket World Cup. They don't even have it on a regular basis, and the same team wins everytime. It's not worth bragging about.

goughy
31st March 2007, 08:31 AM
In the last 2 years this is the only football I've watched any of.

And if you're talking real football, then where is the thread about soccer.

AndyP
31st March 2007, 08:54 AM
And if you're talking real football......
We weren't.

gazgolf1
31st March 2007, 09:35 AM
Go the Lions tonight. :)

chappy1970
31st March 2007, 09:48 AM
Carn the Sainters

gazgolf1
31st March 2007, 10:12 AM

Like we care about that...why do leagueys and Ra Ra fans always trot that one out.
Why would I give a Flying F#*k about whats played in other countries.

PeteyD
31st March 2007, 01:57 PM
I have no idea why the leagies trot it out.

Don't know why it is so important anyway. If Ra Ra got half the support the AFL gets every week it wouldn't be in such a crap state at the moment.

goughy
31st March 2007, 04:44 PM
What a bugger. MTB's gonna be all cheerful this week now!

shavey
31st March 2007, 09:50 PM
What a messy game, Lions vs Hawks.. but the boys got the W in the end..

At one stage the commentators said "Yes folks, we are watching the seniors" and "if you are watching AFL for the first time, it does get better than this" in light of the poor skills on display..

Glad I'm not a Hawks fan... ;)

Fishman Dan
1st April 2007, 10:07 AM
Swans played 1 quality quarter and should have won the game. The Wicked Cocaine Eagles played well enough not to let the Swans get in to stride.

Swans played very negatively, and Barry Hall is useless 45+ metres out from goal. He should stand in the goal square and bash defenders.

just
1st April 2007, 10:57 AM
Swans played very negatively, and Barry Hall is useless 45+ metres out from goal. He should stand in the goal square and bash defenders.

I think your being a bit harsh Dan. Barry is no gun outside 45 but he's not the worst in the league. Having said that the Swans do generally work hard to give space to run into in the 20-40m zone. They can't have him standing in the goal square the need him running. And I think what you meant to say was deliver slight but subtle uppercuts to the ribs of the opposition, Barry's no basher!:lol:

Fishman Dan
1st April 2007, 09:09 PM

Courty
1st April 2007, 09:10 PM
:roll:

raidrboy
1st April 2007, 09:23 PM

He has to leave the goal square to try and catch them first.

AndyP
14th April 2007, 05:56 PM
Biggest Carlton comeback in their history. Sucked in, Essendscum.

Grunt
14th April 2007, 06:18 PM
Bugger forgot to put afl tips in :(

Fishman Dan
14th April 2007, 11:30 PM
Biggest Carlton comeback in their history. Sucked in, Essendscum.

You know what I say to that???

etc....

It was sensational that this team could fight back. They had their season 2001-2006 brain fart in the 1st quarter, but recovered amazingly. Last year this would have been a 15 goal loss. When Essendon managed to get someone like Nick Stevens under control, someone else would stand up.

What an atmosphere, what a game!

BrisWesty
15th April 2007, 08:42 PM
Gee Fishy, where were you in Round 2? Go Catters.

Fishman Dan
15th April 2007, 09:12 PM
Haha.. more to the point, where were the Blues last weekend?

The Cats look good this year. I thought they'd fall into the 8 on %'ge, but I'm ready to eat humble pie if they're ready to stay focussed.

AndyP
15th April 2007, 09:52 PM
I remember the Cats thought they were pretty good about the same time last year, then got thumped and never recovered. They play the same side next week. ;)

Moe Norman
15th April 2007, 09:55 PM
you guys butterd them up by 10 goals - we did the dirty on them by 20 goals ;)

BrisWesty
16th April 2007, 07:52 AM
Please don't bring that up again Moe, I had cold sweats for weeks after that annihilation. ;-)

dc68
20th April 2007, 11:46 AM
Very quiet here in GAYFL land. Does anyone else thinks this mob has no idea? Selwood gets off because he did not say anything, then they turn around and let Headland off because of provocation. Did I hear someone say head in ar5e?

Bruce
20th April 2007, 11:58 AM
http://dilletante.tenpm.com.au/?p=25

The tribunal is a long standing joke. The NRL one looks like a paragon of virtue in comparison.

Fishman Dan
20th April 2007, 11:59 AM
Unlike the NRL - where Amos Roberts dobs on a bloke using the media who barely touched him and Costigan gets rubbed out for a week for breathing in his general direction. Tough game that :roll: What happened to "What goes on the field stays on the field"? Costigan's reply should simply have been "Look at the scoreboard Roberts you pillow-biter!". There wasn't even any evidence he made contact?!

As for Headland, he's well known in the west as a seagull - waits for the ball to come to him and does little else. This is another issue of "What goes on the field..." He should have thrown a few and copped being rubbed out for a week of he feels that hard done by.

dc68
20th April 2007, 12:12 PM
Ahhhh but that is not the point I was making Fishknob. Typical sweep it under the carpet response. FFS the Weagles even want salary cap deduction for the coin they are spending on Drugboy......... It is his problem.He has been earning big coin for a while now, let him pay for it.

Fishman Dan
20th April 2007, 12:16 PM
I'm not sure what your point is.

Raise the topic on the other forum, I'm sure you'll get an answer there.

dc68
20th April 2007, 12:19 PM
Thank you O GAYFL Guru you.

AndyP
20th April 2007, 01:37 PM
Headland should have not got off. Farce!

Nice to see your blog up and running again, Bruce.

AndyP
22nd April 2007, 08:22 PM
Geelong are our bitches. :smt079 :mrgreen:

It's disappointing to see Essendscum at second. I'm hoping this isn't their true form.

Fishman Dan
23rd April 2007, 12:52 PM
The WC vs Carlton match has to be the worst umpired match of the season so far, and that only just out-pipped the Geelong vs Hawks game earlier that day.

Quote from the ump when Marc Murphy was grabbed without the ball - "He slung himself to the ground". Please explain?

Then Waite's goal from 3m out ruled not to have touched his foot?? The ump was 5m away?! The WC then went and scored a goal, a handy 11pt turnaround when the game was still effectively in the balance. Let's not kid ourselves, Carlton were never going to win that game, but they deserved better than the 10 goal thumping they received.

AndyP
23rd April 2007, 06:41 PM
Footy Jumper (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=130101138924&rd=1&rd=1)

I can't believe how much this went for.

I've heard that the guy who won the auction is just collecting it and will not be wearing it.

Grunt
23rd April 2007, 07:06 PM
Gee I went well in the tipping this week. 1 right.:(

just
23rd April 2007, 08:56 PM
but they deserved the 10 goal thumping they received.

Glad you agree!

McCoy
23rd April 2007, 09:18 PM
I've heard that the guy who won the auction is just collecting it and will not be wearing it.

And how did you hear this?

Finding it real hard to generate any interest this year, I mean I've only been watching the Eagles and trying to figure out which player's are taking the field drugged up.
There are too many crap teams, I can't help feeling that the league would be so much better off if they dumped 4 Victorian teams and then held a draft to split the left over players. Imagine if Matty Richardson went to Brisbane and provided an alternative target to Brown - Power, Lappin, Black could hit him on the chest all night and Richo could then turn around and kick 1.8 with a few out on the full.

AndyP
23rd April 2007, 10:12 PM
I had some spare cash sitting around..... 8-[:-$

Imagine if Matty Richardson went to Brisbane and provided an alternative target to Brown - Power, Lappin, Black could hit him on the chest all night and Richo could then turn around and kick 1.8 with a few out on the full.I saw Richo play at the Dome a couple of years ago, and he has to be one of the most entertaining players going around. He can kick them from 60m, and miss them from 10m. And I love his little dummy spits.

I actually heard about the jumper on the Hawks forum.

Moe Norman
23rd April 2007, 10:58 PM
I was watching On the Couch last week and they were saying how Richo is underrated. On the cusp of 700 goals at around 3 per game, statistically up with the best of them.

They then showed a graphic of the accuracy of the games top goalkickers. Lockett was way out in front with 80%+ and then a host of big names in the 70's like Wade, Coleman, Fevola, Hudson, Moore, Dunstall.

Suprisingly Richo wasn't that bad coming in at 69% which was around the same as Matty Lloyd. Then, for the first time ever - Mike Sheehan made a god point - the accuracy count doesn't include the ones he has kicked OB :smt044

Fishman Dan
23rd April 2007, 11:15 PM
I don't want to steal your thunder Moe, but as I was reading your post it crossed my mind too :lol:

AndyP
24th April 2007, 07:53 AM
It's not the quantity of the misses that matters, it's the quality. And Richo has some great misses.

oz
26th April 2007, 08:17 PM
Bloody Magpies!!!!! ....another great start to the footy tipping week. :(

McCoy
26th April 2007, 10:01 PM
Crowd figures for ANZAC Day
AFL
Collingwood vs Essendon

NRL
Roosters vs Dragons

shavey
27th April 2007, 12:31 AM

Imagine if Matty Richardson went to Brisbane and provided an alternative target to Brown - Power, Lappin, Black could hit him on the chest all night and Richo could then turn around and kick 1.8 with a few out on the full.

Classic comment McCoy ;)

Sad.. but true!

gazgolf1
27th April 2007, 06:15 AM
When did this idea of aiming out to the right on set shots come in?
If you watch some guys kicking for goal (and I only know the guys from the Lions that do it) they will line up straight at the middle of the big ones and as they come in to kick they move out to the right and try to hook it back slightly. Tim Notting is a shocker for this,I think his stats for 06 were 2 goals 14 points and Johnathan Brown was doing this Saturday night as well.
I gotta blame the coaches,don't these guys watch videos,it stands out like dogs balls.
Check out footage of the best goal kickers like Plugger and Dunstall and you will see they aimed straight at the goals,walked in dead straight and kicked straight down the line.

Fishman Dan
27th April 2007, 08:38 AM
AFL
Collingwood vs Essendon

NRL
Roosters vs Dragons

Did you see the Roosters game? I reckon 10k of those must have been hiding at the bar or something!

markTHEblake
27th April 2007, 10:30 AM
When did this idea of aiming out to the right on set shots come in?

for as long as I can remember

OTOH Tony Lockett was one of the very few goal kickers who punted straight.

Peter Sumich was one of the worst, he hooked it so much i reckon he kicked some that went through the goals backwards/

markTHEblake
27th April 2007, 10:32 AM
AFL
Collingwood vs Essendon

NRL
Roosters vs Dragons

the challenge will be for the NRL to get 90,000 for all the matches :smt038

Fishman Dan
27th April 2007, 01:50 PM
You're right about Sumi - he almost helicoptered them in with his left boot. Seemed to work for him though, there weren't too many better.

markTHEblake
27th April 2007, 02:23 PM
Everybody said Collingwood was lucky to escape with that tie in the final against Westcoast (1990) when Sumi kicked that behind after the siren.

As he was on the wrong side for him I think he was the lucky one not to have missed everything, he had no hope of kicking a goal.

I expect he scored most of his goals leading to the other side of the ground......

gazgolf1
27th April 2007, 02:40 PM
Yeah but why would you purposely try to kick that way?
If a bloke is standing 40 metres away most AFL players are going to aim straight at him and generally hit him on the chest.They're not going to aim 5 metres to the right of him and try to hook the ball back.....so why do they do it when they are shooting at goal?
Surely forwards/kicking coaches are not teaching that technique.

Fishman Dan
27th April 2007, 03:07 PM
He'd been doing it all his life? Back then there weren't as many kicking coaches per team to iron out any flaws people had been doing since they were kiddies!!

These days you get taught one way to kick. It won't be long before every kiddy is gripping the ball like Fevola.

markTHEblake
27th April 2007, 03:37 PM
buggared if i know Gaz, i am not a footballer but it does seem easier to hook it a bit. Maybe its something to do with the physiology of the body that puts a bit of hook on it and some people are just exaggerate it more.

its funny though, you dont see many fullbacks kicking hooks do we?

Bruce
27th April 2007, 04:47 PM
its funny though, you dont see many fullbacks kicking hooks do we?

You'd be surprised but with their target able to move a meter or two either side the difference isn't as stark. Mackie for the cats certainly has a bit of draw on his kicks.

Moe Norman
27th April 2007, 06:57 PM
Gaz,

Dunstall hooked them with the best of them, as MTB said, plugger was one of the few that could make them go arrow straight and thats probably why he is the all-time best goalkicker in volume as well as accuracy.

As for a 40m pass - how often do you see them kick it to a stationary bloke? They kick it into space and the bloke times his run accordingly, the best kicks are when the bloke doesn't have to break stride, but very few of them would fly straight!

gazgolf1
27th April 2007, 07:56 PM
Gaz,

Dunstall hooked them with the best of them, as MTB said, plugger was one of the few that could make them go arrow straight and thats probably why he is the all-time best goalkicker in volume as well as accuracy.

As for a 40m pass - how often do you see them kick it to a stationary bloke? They kick it into space and the bloke times his run accordingly, the best kicks are when the bloke doesn't have to break stride, but very few of them would fly straight!

Dunstall hooked em? are we watching the same game?
Next you'll tell me Brian Taylor hooked em. ;)

Now with the passing thing....so they are hooking their passes too!!
Anyway just found this,worth a look to see what the prize is for mark of the year. :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oiEAnlyAGqk&mode=related&search=

Bruce
27th April 2007, 08:30 PM
Awesome clip Gaz!! :)

The changes in the game in 20-odd years. How many 50m penalties would have been given on half those marks today. And to see Waverly and Windy Hill, the Fitzroy Lions. Reeves got $100 for that great pack mark. $100!!! Insane.

gazgolf1
27th April 2007, 08:34 PM
Awesome clip Gaz!! :)

Sam Newman was looking good.....not! :)

Moe Norman
27th April 2007, 08:39 PM
Gaz,

Dunstall used to aim them at the right post and bring them back. I actually went to a clinic with him and Billy Brownless in Albury Wodonga when I was 13 and he showed us, thats why he struggled from the right pocket, as he had to aim it at the behind post ;)

gazgolf1
27th April 2007, 08:41 PM
Gaz,

Dunstall used to aim them at the right post and bring them back. I actually went to a clinic with him and Billy Brownless in Albury Wodonga when I was 13 and he showed us, thats why he struggled from the right pocket, as he had to aim it at the behind post ;)

Ok I'll take your word for it.

McCoy
27th April 2007, 11:26 PM
Did you see the Roosters game? I reckon 10k of those must have been hiding at the bar or something!
I was actually just outside the stadium when it was on and they were either at the bar, or dressed as plastic seats.

Reeves got $100 for that great pack mark. $100!!!
But who won the Nissan Bluebird for "Mark of 1984"? Do you think they're still driving it? If it was a Fitzroy player, maybe they still are.

gazgolf1
28th April 2007, 08:37 PM
Very entertaining contest tonight.....Fishy should be very happy with his boys and the Lions are showing a bit of character and hanging in.
The Lions seem to lack a bit of discipline as far as manning up goes with a few Carlton players (Scotland,Betts,Walker) running around unmarked.
Here's hoping the second half is as good as the first. :)

kpac
28th April 2007, 08:45 PM
carn the blues first half atleast gives a supporter some spirit.

Jarro
28th April 2007, 10:00 PM
We are the pride of Brisbane town ...... ;)

gazgolf1
28th April 2007, 10:00 PM
Woohoo :)
Great win for the Lions....they kept trying all night and kicked pretty straight for once.
Great game to watch as well. :)

Fishman Dan
28th April 2007, 10:04 PM
It was exhausting to watch. It must have been tough for Carlton playing as well as they were, but not be able to shake a team who couldn't miss!!

The Blues ran out of legs in the final 10 minutes, the curse of the trip west strikes again.

To sum it up - Fevola drops a chest mark in the final term, 35 straight in front - Brisbane win. :(

Toughest part is the next 4 weeks - all tough games they aren't expected to win.

just
5th May 2007, 06:32 PM
FFS you would have thought the Bombers could have put away Hawthorn. If this keeps up we'll never shut AP up.

goughy
5th May 2007, 06:50 PM
We're screwed Just! Jeeze, even his avatar predicted this

AndyP
5th May 2007, 07:47 PM
FFS you would have thought the Bombers could have put away Hawthorn. If this keeps up we'll never shut AP up.
What?!? I've been very restrained in this thread.

That said, the game against the Scum is the biggest Home & Away fixture for me during the year when I'm not attending, and what a sweet victory it was.
If you saw any of Buddy Franklin today, how could you not be excited?

It's very hard to keep the expectations in check at the moment, but finals are still not expected. There's still plenty of good sides to play.

At what point do I bump the ladder bet with Fishy?

PeteyD
5th May 2007, 08:02 PM
Dean, me and Just have to play with him tomorrow ...

jimandr
6th May 2007, 07:21 PM
Anybody tip Richmond to beat Geelong?

I'm writing this at three quarter time. I'm going out on a limb with this prediction, based upon a few other Geelong performances, but as they currently have a 140 point lead I think they can scrape home from here.

AndyP
6th May 2007, 07:45 PM
I'd just like to congratulate (and thank) Terry "Plough" Wallet on choosing Richmond over Hawthorn to coach, because apparently they had a list closer to success. Dickhead!!

It looks like Geelong can only play indoors. The fact that they are thumping substandard sides shouldn't fool anyone either.

The ladder definitely looks different to what is expected. It may even out yet though.

Top 5:
1st - West Coast (expected) 6-0
2nd - Port 5-1
3rd - Brisbane 4-2
4th - Collingwood 4-2
5th - Hawthorn 4-2

And for bet purposes
14th - Carlton

What the hell! While it lasts.....
Goalkicking:
1st Franklin (Haw)
2nd Fevola (Car)
:roll:

:lol:

PeteyD
6th May 2007, 08:32 PM
Cats were winning 120 to 16 at one stage. Makes me feel remotely better aobut the Reds, remotely ...

Fishman Dan
6th May 2007, 08:49 PM
I feel sorry for the Tigers fans. Their team show absolutely no ticker out there today. The Cats were clinical, but the Tigers went to ground too easily, were afraid of solid contact, and generally made it a solid training run for the Cats.

AndyP
6th May 2007, 08:52 PM
I feel sorry for the Tigers fans. Their team show absolutely no ticker out there today.
How is that different to the last 20 years?

Ona
6th May 2007, 10:43 PM
dont post much, but just wanted to say... kangas! :):):)

have not had much to smile about for a while. 3/2 and should have been better, not bad for the "favourites for the wooden spoon" 8)

BrisWesty
7th May 2007, 09:02 AM
So AndyP, seeing as the Hawks own the Cats, how much will they beat the Tigers by?

AndyP
7th May 2007, 03:09 PM
Not as much. Geelong are specialists at smashing the bottom 3 sides indoors, and not much else.

Bruce
7th May 2007, 04:28 PM
Not as much. Geelong are specialists at smashing the bottom 3 sides indoors, and not much else.

And breaking the hearts of their supporters with their wildly inconsistent form.

BrisWesty
7th May 2007, 07:38 PM
Preach it Bruce!

McCoy
7th May 2007, 07:59 PM
I'd just like to congratulate (and thank) Terry "Plough" Wallet on choosing Richmond over Hawthorn to coach, because apparently they had a list closer to success. Dickhead!!

Terry Wallace. What is it about old Hawks and image? Someone tell Terry to stay out of the solarium.

Top 5:
1st - West Coast (expected) 6-0
2nd - Port 5-1
3rd - Brisbane 4-2
4th - Collingwood 4-2
5th - Hawthorn 4-2

Didn't I get rubbished for saying Brisbane were stupid to not get a decent forward to support Brown out of the Akermanis non-deal? David Parkin summed it up well, Brown had the ball in the centre and Parkin said "he's looking to kick it to himself". If the Lions had of grabbed Tarrant they'd be a shot at losing to the Wild Crack Ecstasy on Grand Final day. Instead they'll be fighting to make 6-8 if they stay healthy.
Nothing for Akermanis, nothing for Mal Michael - good job Brisbane.

Iain
7th May 2007, 08:18 PM
I don't think they much of a choice with Mal Michael did they?? He said he wanted to retire so they released him??

Didn't they?

Fishman Dan
7th May 2007, 08:33 PM
Yeah - the Mal Michael deal was a bit stinky, but apparently he genuinely wanted to give it away and was dead-weight at the Lions. He just needed the move back to VIC.

markTHEblake
7th May 2007, 08:42 PM
He just needed the move back to VIC.

funny that, when he left collingwood, he just wanted to move to qld.

Fishman Dan
7th May 2007, 08:52 PM
This is the same bloke who turned around mid-game and booted the ball back through his own goals from 30m out because he didn't think he had any options. Give him this season and perhaps next and he'll be in the VFL making up numbers.

Moe Norman
7th May 2007, 08:56 PM
move back to vic?

apart from his collingwood years, he's a Brisbane boy - he went to St. Peters.

AndyP
7th May 2007, 10:55 PM
It's Brisbane's fault that they got nothing for Michael. Most clubs would have put a clause in his termination contract preventing him from playing elsewhere.

McCoy
12th May 2007, 09:44 PM
Fan punts $60,000 on Blues
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21712338-23211,00.html

Ooops. And further on money and all the talk of the "humiliation" the Tiger's players are suffering. I can't help but think that a 22 year old bloke who's on say $200,000 a year and can walk into any Melbourne night club and walk out with a bird, you know maybe there isn't the humiliation, maybe perhaps he might think he's got a pretty good life and finds it real easy to forget last Saturday.
20-30 years ago where the guys had to work M-F jobs there would be the pain at the loss. But these days they just play footy and are paid well for it. The players look at Darren Gaspar getting shafted, they look at their bank balance, maybe a few of them like to party WCE style. 157 point loss? Yeah I can live with it.

Fishman Dan
12th May 2007, 10:58 PM
Gutsy. I didn't even tip them.

BrisWesty
13th May 2007, 04:20 PM
CATS beat the Eagles. Woo hoo!

(No, I didn't pick them.)

AndyP
13th May 2007, 05:01 PM
Why not? They were favourites......somehow. :?

Moe Norman
13th May 2007, 05:57 PM
i backed them, but the D's didn't come through for me.

If Freo get up I've backed 7 winners this week, which should get me back in the running for the office tipping after last weeks disaster.

BrisWesty
13th May 2007, 09:29 PM
Why would I pick the Hawks' biatches?

shavey
13th May 2007, 11:14 PM
D's let me down too..

Not to mention the Lions.. wish they would stick to that rampaging run-through-the-middle that they played a few years ago.. they still have the speed but probably lacking another geniune option up forward..

But go you Cats! ;) always a soft spot for my birth place

Bruce
14th May 2007, 10:05 AM
GO CATS!!

Finally we string 2 together.

McCoy
20th May 2007, 09:41 PM
After being critical of the Lions management for doing nothing to improve the side I've read with interest the attempt to get Nick Riewoldt. If it's true then I apologise for the criticism, but if it's not and they've been doing nothing then next time I'm back home I'm setting fire to Lions HQ.
You have to laugh though, mid-week Jonathon Brown is quoted in the press saying how exciting Brisbane's list is. Then they go out and get thrashed by a bad Essendon team. Lucky the Saints were just as poor.

AndyP
20th May 2007, 09:49 PM
The Lions season went bad as soon as they mentioned the 'f' word.

Quick update:
5th - Hawthorn
14th - Carlton

Fishman Dan
20th May 2007, 09:52 PM
AP - 150 x 150, no bigger than 15kb I think. :(

We can score this year, it's just that the team we play can score "x + 3 goals or more".

terryand
21st May 2007, 05:32 AM
AP - 150 x 150, no bigger than 15kb I think. :(

We can score this year, it's just that the team we play can score "x + 3 goals or more".

AP I wouldn't begrudge you changing the settings for awhile, you do have the power, don't you ;)

Terry.

Bruce
21st May 2007, 09:16 AM
The Hawks have played in the 3 worst games of footy I have seen this year. The king tide flood against the cats, the error ridden farce against the dogs and then the snooze fest with two men playing behind the ball joke of game on Saturday night.

Winning ugly is acceptable sometimes - but something this ugly needs to be shot.

Moe Norman
21st May 2007, 11:04 AM
don't forget the season opener agains the lions - another snoozefest.

Sitting 5th, so good on them.

Hawks and Roos were both expected to be poor, both doing far better than expected. Roos by playing exciting footy and kicking long, even without their main target and Hawks by boring us all to death with short kicks and flooding the half backline, despite having a great target up front.

All power to them, the aim to win games.