PDA

View Full Version : Cape Schanck - St Andrews Bch - The Dunes - Flinders - National Gunnamatta

PeterCool
24th May 2023, 11:45 AM
So last week I had the week off work and a few mates and I headed down the road a bit to play Cape Schanck - St Andrews Bch - The Dunes - Flinders - National Gunnamatta

I'd never played any of them before and had only heard about them.

Based ourselves in downtown Flinders and just took the short drive each day to the courses.

Day 1 we played Cape Schanck (Carts). I loved this course. You can miss to the sides of most of the greens and the ball would funnel onto the green. Greens were mint and the fairways were great too. I so want to go back here. Maybe with the wife as the resort looked fantastic too for non golf players

Day 2 we went to St Andrews Beach (Carts). They do heaps of promotions on radio here in Melbourne so you'd think it would be good. It was okay and the greens again were great and I loved the high tee boxes. Looked visually great but we got a bit of rain and it was cold. Were going to pull the pin after 9 holes but we couldnt figure out the way back to the club house. If I was to go back, I probably wouldn't go here again unless it was the last resort. It felt like its only 80% finished.

Day 2 Arvo Flinders (walked) The sun came out and we had time and weren't that drunk, so we played Flinders in the afternoon (2pm). Its a great course with come short par 4's and narrow fairways on some holes. Smaller greens that the previous 2 days but with no one on the course, we flew thru 18 holes.

Day 3 The Dunes (walked). By far my favorite course of the week. Id so go back. The staff. Great holes. Long holes. Flowed well. Greens were small. Fairways were about 90% god with some weeds but it didnt matter for the roll of the ball. I'll add some photos if I can work out how. If you are down this way and can only play one, do it.

Day 4 National Gunnamatta (walked). Located next to Cape Schanck. We knew a guy that got us onto this and this is just a 10/10 course. Beg borrow steal if you need to to get on here. Think disneyland and Xmas together.

Day 5 Flinders again before driving home. (Walked)

Also if down there. The St Andrews brewery is a must. But book.

Photos are Dunes, Cape, Cape (Par 3 and this photo does not do the hole justice)

AndyP
24th May 2023, 12:02 PM
A bunch of us played The Dunes and SAB a few months ago, and I enjoyed them both even though I have played them before. I haven't played the others on your list though.

PerryGroves
24th May 2023, 01:09 PM
Well you and me are unlikely to go on tour Peter :)

I'm happy never to go to Cape Schanck again however IMO St Andrews Beach is a must play. We were down there a couple of weeks ago and played National Gunnamatta in a strong (against the prevailing) breeze so I need to go back there.

Had a few cans of the St Andrews Beach Lager as we watched the races in one of the rooms rather than shell out $12 for a basic schooner at the Sorrento Hotel.

3Puttpete
24th May 2023, 01:23 PM
I don’t understand the hate. SAB was fun.

ParkRoyal
24th May 2023, 01:37 PM
What about StAB felt 80% finished? I can only presume the proshop/19th hole being basic but totally adequate and which is not really relevant imo. Was it the cold and rain that put you off maybe?
I enjoy Cape Schanck, but its doesn't go close StAB.

LeftyHoges
25th May 2023, 10:53 AM
I don’t understand the hate. SAB was fun.

**** you.

3Puttpete
25th May 2023, 11:24 AM
**** you.

It’s like that underwater plunger thing they used to call Flipper.

Johnny Canuck
25th May 2023, 12:20 PM
Another vote for SAB. Unlike Lefty, I quite enjoy Links golf. No trees to get unlucky bounces off of, just pure golf.

sms316
25th May 2023, 12:48 PM
Another vote for SAB. Unlike Lefty, I quite enjoy Links golf. No trees to get unlucky bounces off of, just pure golf.
He gets unlucky quite a lot. Just like divots (which would happen not more than a couple of times a year to anyone else).

Bruce
25th May 2023, 02:34 PM
One thing OzGolf shows is that there is no accounting for taste when it comes to courses.

You are right about Gunnamatta though.

LeftyHoges
25th May 2023, 09:29 PM
He gets unlucky quite a lot. Just like divots (which would happen not more than a couple of times a year to anyone else).You're spot on. I have 13 rounds in my GL this year and I know I've been in 4 VERY good sized ones, so I'm averaging nearly one every 4 rounds.

Thank **** I only play 30 games a year max.

LeftyHoges
25th May 2023, 09:30 PM
One thing OzGolf shows is that there is no accounting for taste when it comes to courses.

You are right about Gunnamatta though.You're right, you're a fan of Nash Old.

Speaks volumes.

[emoji12]

Ron Burgundy
26th May 2023, 10:26 AM
He gets unlucky quite a lot. Just like divots (which would happen not more than a couple of times a year to anyone else). You’d think he’d used up his unlucky quota being born left handed and a ranga, but alas not.

Bruce
26th May 2023, 10:44 AM
You're right, you're a fan of Nash Old.

Speaks volumes.

[emoji12]

My love is conditional and varies by the hole. 8 is among the worst holes on the planet.

LeftyHoges
26th May 2023, 11:28 AM
You’d think he’d used up his unlucky quota being born left handed and a ranga, but alas not.

Yeah, but I balanced it back out by being Victorian and awesome. Swings and roundabouts.

My love is conditional and varies by the hole. 8 is among the worst holes on the planet.

I genuinely am glad to hear you say at least that.

Now how about the tee shot on 17?

Ron Burgundy
26th May 2023, 11:57 AM
Yeah, but I balanced it back out by being Victorian and awesome. Pretty sure those two things are mutually exclusive. Will carve out an exception for Warney though.

3Puttpete
26th May 2023, 12:41 PM
Pretty sure those two things are mutually exclusive. Will carve out an exception for Warney though.

Ahem

Bruce
27th May 2023, 06:51 AM
Yeah, but I balanced it back out by being Victorian and awesome. Swings and roundabouts.

I genuinely am glad to hear you say at least that.

Now how about the tee shot on 17?

Bunt it down the hill. The risk with driver is too great. As shown by this fella. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncDEEqP6qdo&t=1s&pp=ygUTb2xkIGNvdXJzZSBuYXRpb25hbA%3D%3D

LeftyHoges
27th May 2023, 07:14 AM
Bunt it down the hill. The risk with driver is too great. As shown by this fella. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncDEEqP6qdo&t=1s&pp=ygUTb2xkIGNvdXJzZSBuYXRpb25hbA%3D%3DThat's what I figured, now...

So that's two par 5's that are compulsory lay-up tee shots.

Yep, real good course... [emoji849]

markTHEblake
27th May 2023, 10:45 AM
Bunt it down the hill. The risk with driver is too great. As shown by this fella. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncDEEqP6qdo&t=1s&pp=ygUTb2xkIGNvdXJzZSBuYXRpb25hbA%3D%3D Is it really that great a risk for a decent player who knows where to aim it? Which is more left than it looks. I overdrew a 3W off the tee ( provisional) and it went miles down there. Not sure which tee though... maybe white

LeftyHoges
27th May 2023, 03:51 PM
Is it really that great a risk for a decent player who knows where to aim it? Which is more left than it looks. I overdrew a 3W off the tee ( provisional) and it went miles down there. Not sure which tee though... maybe whiteIt's not further left than you think because we never found my ball that was pounded down what we thought was a great line.

Completely ****ed, and blind tee shots should be banned from ever being designed and built.

Bruce
28th May 2023, 11:06 AM
Bunt it down the hill. The risk with driver is too great. As shown by this fella. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncDEEqP6qdo&t=1s&pp=ygUTb2xkIGNvdXJzZSBuYXRpb25hbA%3D%3D

They work with persimmon distances, but have been outgrown in the distance arms race.
But for 85+% of the members it's still a driver shot.

TheGasman
30th May 2023, 08:54 AM
+1 sab