PDA

View Full Version : Rugby League live.....

Webster
22nd October 2006, 10:57 AM
*Please dont jump down my throat here cos I'm just trying to be honest*

I went to the Tri-Nations Test at Telstra dome last night, my first "live" game of league. Note that I am a big fan of the game, and these days probably watch more league on TV than I do AFL or soccer etc.

I have to say, that as much as I was trying to like the live spectacle that is rugby league, I found it...well.....just a tad lacklustre. Especially compared to a more freeflowing game like AFL. The pre-game buildup was great, but once the blew the whistle and play started, it just seems to be a bit of a let down. And the whole video ref thing just seems to make the game disjointed - why cant the ref just make more of the calls the way he sees it. Sure the tries and the hits are terrific, but the game still has a lot of flat spots in it.

I've been to the union a few times and it seems, to me, to be a better game live to watch than league.

Maybe I'll have to go again next year and give it another go.

Jack.

PeteyD
22nd October 2006, 12:23 PM
Never been to an AFL game, and from all accounts they are more of a spectacle than league or union. I think the stadium can make a difference, if you are ever up this way try and see a game at Suncorp (even if it is soccer) just to check the joint out.

Moe Norman
22nd October 2006, 12:49 PM
league is a TV game, AFL is a live game. Union is really only a game you can understand if you've played it, either live or on TV.

AndyP
22nd October 2006, 01:29 PM
I think the stadium can make a difference, if you are ever up this way try and see a game at Suncorp (even if it is soccer) just to check the joint out.
Here saw it at Telstra Dome, so he would have been right on top of the "action".

PeteyD
22nd October 2006, 02:16 PM
Here saw it at Telstra Dome, so he would have been right on top of the "action".

Sure

Jarro
22nd October 2006, 02:23 PM
watching the game last night, it didn't look to me as though the spectators were that close to the action at all ???

They probably would be for a GAYFL game where the field is a bit wider.

McCoy
22nd October 2006, 03:33 PM
Union is the better game - tougher, more action, better players.
They hype League so much as if it's the greatest game in the world, but when I see it on tv I'm always surprised by the amount of fans who come to the game dressed as plastic seating or patches of grass.

Jarro
22nd October 2006, 03:45 PM
Union is the better game - tougher, more action, better players.

in your opinion of course.

Moe Norman
22nd October 2006, 05:24 PM
which is an educated one - after all, we all know most league fans didn't get past grade 10 :smt118

Jarro
22nd October 2006, 05:28 PM
Moe, the only reason you rah-rah ratbags went on to further studies was so you could make a better choice when buying banned performance enhancing drugs :roll:

PeteyD
22nd October 2006, 05:30 PM
Settle Jarro, the best game of rugby will always be better than league as a spectacle. Unfortunately it can be boring as batshit as well.

Fishman Dan
22nd October 2006, 05:37 PM
I went to the State of Origin Game 1 and found the same as you Jack. The pre-game hype and thumping music over the PA, but when the CD was turned off the crowd was dead silent. It wasn't until the final 5 minutes that anyone found their voice.

Plainly, it was a dud event. I blame Telstra Stadium for this one, a terrible venue for football. Games at the Sydney Football Stadium are always more exciting, the ground creates more of a cauldron atmosphere.

Same goes for Union. It's pretty dull unless you get 2 teams willing to throw the ball around. It's all well and good to say "But it's a tactical game", but the only truly end-to-end sport is Aussie Rules or soccer.

3oneday
22nd October 2006, 06:19 PM
Rugby will be a better game when they stop giving 3 points for a drop goal and penalty. Until such time it won't have as many watchers as it should.

Flow on effect I guess, they will be forced to play running rugby rather than just do what it takes to win, and that's kick.

AndyP
22nd October 2006, 06:26 PM
I'm not going to argue your point, but I do find it ironic that you don't want them to kick to win in "FOOTball".

Webster
22nd October 2006, 06:44 PM
jarro, just out of interest, how many ALF games have you been to?

shavey
22nd October 2006, 06:51 PM
I have been to about 20 AFL matches, 3 NRL matches and 1 Rugby International and they each have their good and bad points.

I think it depends on the sides willingness to win, the ref controlling the flow of the game, and the crowd.

My preference is to watch AFL live, and league and union on the box.

PeteyD
22nd October 2006, 06:51 PM
Rugby will be a better game when they stop giving 3 points for a drop goal and penalty. Until such time it won't have as many watchers as it should.

Flow on effect I guess, they will be forced to play running rugby rather than just do what it takes to win, and that's kick.

Has plenty all around the world, except in Sydney ...

Jarro
22nd October 2006, 07:05 PM
jarro, just out of interest, how many ALF games have you been to?

Been to quite a few actually, all of them at the 'Gabba to see the Bears/Lions play. I used to work with a Bears recruit named Martin Leslie, he was always trying to convert me to the aerial ping-pong game.

I agree with Moe. AFL is better seen LIVE. NRL is now a TV game.

3oneday
22nd October 2006, 07:09 PM
Has plenty all around the world, except in Sydney ...

Rugby will be a better game when they stop giving 3 points for a drop goal and penalty. Until such time it won't have as many watchers as it should.pretty sure most internationals are sellouts in Sydney, but I thought I should make it larger in case your sight is impaired, as your post indicates. Rugby is an exciting game, until it becomes a kickathon. Don't they kick it in Brisbane ??? :shock: FFS

AndyP
22nd October 2006, 07:17 PM
I used to work with a Bears recruit named Martin Leslie, he was always trying to convert me to the aerial ping-pong game.
Funnily enough, I was just having a conversation about him the other day. My mate, who is a stats machine, seemed to think he was the first pick from the very first AFL draft. Regardless, he was a very good player.

FWIW my freak mate is right. So very sad.

Webster
22nd October 2006, 07:45 PM
I went to a Bledisloe Cup match at the MCG in the late 1990s ( i really only went because there was free piss served afterwards). The venue was terrible for rugby because you were so far away from the action. Mind you, the South African fans singing in full swing for most of the match provided some relief from what was an otherwise uneventful game (in the rain)

Funny how most are in agreement that AFL is a live game and NRL is a TV game. I agree 100%

PeteyD
22nd October 2006, 08:15 PM
pretty sure most internationals are sellouts in Sydney, but I thought I should make it larger in case your sight is impaired, as your post indicates. Rugby is an exciting game, until it becomes a kickathon. Don't they kick it in Brisbane ??? :shock: FFS

Yea the internationals are sellouts. Rugby suffers from no second tier comp behind the super14. Next year should be interesting. Mind you the super14 doesn't get the support it should here or in sydney.

Courty
22nd October 2006, 08:43 PM
I have been to a few AFL games, and a few more NRL games. I tried to get into the AFL, but just couldn't. I think you either get it, or you don't. And I just don't.
I mean, I love bagging GayFL and all that it stands for, but I honestly don't believe you can compare it with Rugby League. They have nothing in common.

Fishman Dan
22nd October 2006, 09:02 PM
Jack - Bledisloe is Australia vs New Zealand. The (real) Tri-Nations is Australia vs NZ vs Sth Africa.

I don't think Aussie Rules is something you "get", it's something you've grown up with. The striking thing for me is that there are Aussie Rules comps in every state and territory, and prominent (and totally dominant) over other sports in 3 of those states, yet Rugby is barely played anywhere except for NSW and QLD.

Being born in Melbourne Aussie Rules was in my blood from the get-go, but if anyone here hasn't gone to Melbourne during footy season, you should - it's something else.

PeteyD
23rd October 2006, 08:00 AM
Jack - Bledisloe is Australia vs New Zealand. The (real) Tri-Nations is Australia vs NZ vs Sth Africa.

I don't think Aussie Rules is something you "get", it's something you've grown up with. The striking thing for me is that there are Aussie Rules comps in every state and territory, and prominent (and totally dominant) over other sports in 3 of those states, yet Rugby is barely played anywhere except for NSW and QLD.

Being born in Melbourne Aussie Rules was in my blood from the get-go, but if anyone here hasn't gone to Melbourne during footy season, you should - it's something else.

Hang on, you are saying that Aussie Rules is barely played anywhere except for VIC, SA and WA??

Rugby is played in all states, but having only changed from amatuer status recently still suffers a lot from amatuer running. Rugby League is really only played in NSW and QLD, and the governing body is still very Sydney based.

AndyP
23rd October 2006, 08:13 AM
Hang on, you are saying that Aussie Rules is barely played anywhere except for VIC, SA and WA??
No, he's saying it has fairly big comps in every state, but is dominant in those states. Add Tasmania to those three.

PeteyD
23rd October 2006, 08:18 AM
It certainly is. No argument from me there. Supporters in NSW and QLD could learn a lot about supporting local teams from those in Melbourne.

just
23rd October 2006, 08:29 AM
Supporters in NSW and QLD could learn a lot about supporting local teams from those in Melbourne.

....we would if we had nothing better to do. There is a reason Melbourne loves its weekend sport in Winter-its cold, its the ass end of the world and theres nothing better to do.

Just

AndyP
23rd October 2006, 08:32 AM
....we would if we had nothing better to do. There is a reason Melbourne loves its weekend sport in Winter-its cold, its the ass end of the world and theres nothing better to do.

Except play golf at some of the best courses in the country.....

just
23rd October 2006, 08:39 AM
Except play golf at some of the best courses in the country.....
...that only a small % of the population can access on a weekend even if they had the interest.
Just

PeteyD
23rd October 2006, 08:47 AM
Bit harsh on Melbourne there Just. Could be worse, you could live in Sydney.

just
23rd October 2006, 08:52 AM
Mate
I love Sydney - I could happily live in the lower north shore, as I did for almost 10 yrs, for the rest of my life-its a great city. You are right, I was harsh on Melbourne but I've spent plenty of time there (and obviously I have my issues with the place) and it doesn't even come close to being as great as Sydney.
As bad as I think Melbourne is it shines like a diamond in comparison to the hole that is Adelaide.
Just

PeteyD
23rd October 2006, 08:55 AM
Hehe. I didn't like Sydney, but it is certainly one of the most beautiful cities in the world with the harbour and stuff. Melbourne I have always enjoyed. Just depends on the experiences I guess.

Fishman Dan
23rd October 2006, 09:15 AM
No, he's saying it has fairly big comps in every state, but is dominant in those states. Add Tasmania to those three.

Thanks AP for taking the time to read the post in its entirety. Thanks also for remembering about Tasmania :oops: :lol:

dc68
23rd October 2006, 09:24 AM

Nope very untrue. went to origin 3 at telstra 2nd worst venue I have ever been to for watching League.....In saying the facilities were good and it would have been very good for GAYFL viewing. I also went to the Rugby at the Gabba Oz vs The British and Irish Lions a few years ago and that was the worst venue. You CANNOT beat LANG Park for League/Union/Soccer viewing.

My 2c

Eag's
23rd October 2006, 09:49 AM
Yep hard to go past Lang Park for sporting events.
It is just set up perfectly for viewing live events such as the Origin series :) .
I have never been to an AFL game but would like to one of these days as I hear
it can be great fun to watch live.

Bruce
23rd October 2006, 09:56 AM
I go the footy a few times a year. A few cats games , maybe the dogs with my mates. I always go to see the Wallabies whenever they come to town, even if that means seeing them smash Italy or some otehr 3rd rate opposition. I would probably have thrown my lot in with a Melbouren Super 14 side if that had go up.

But I would need some sort of incentive to go see another League game.

Moe Norman
23rd October 2006, 10:27 AM
Suncorp/Lang is the best stadium in australia for viewing sport played on a rectangular field.

MCG is the best for sports played on an Oval.

Suncorp is the 2nd best stadium I've been in for Rugby/Soccer behind Millenium Stadium from the 99 Union World Cup. It's just like Suncorp but with 100k capacity!

Golf_Novice
23rd October 2006, 12:38 PM
I have been a spectator for a lot of sports in my time at different stadiums. Worst time was Cowboys v Bulldogs @ Carrarra. I'm worried how the Titans will put up with it, even if it is for only one season.

Suncorp Stadium is definately one of the best with great seats wherever you are in the stadium. I saw Aust v Paraquay (soccer) there a few weeks ago and the game was pretty ordinary, but the sight of that many people in yellow and singing, etc was awesome.

Same with a lot of Broncos games.

The disappointment is going to a lot of Lions games and since they won all their premierships, the Gabba is bought out by members. What happened to the standing room only section that all the 'yobs' could go to and cheer (and get very drunk) It's disappointing to just get seats to go and then turn up to see a lot of vacant members seats.

But that's my whinge for the day!! :S