PDA

View Full Version : Week Commencing 16th October

PeteyD
18th October 2006, 01:36 PM
Stuff me. Wednesday and no one here yet. Went to have a look at Pac Harbour with Pete and Shazza RS today. What have we got ourselves into for the champs???

Played abysmally with 111, but really enjoyed the course. 26 Stab points. Really shouldn;t double pump into the water. Looks bad on the card.

Course is intimidating to look at, but fairways are generally pretty wide at landing zones. I am glad I have ahad a look at it before the champs round. Short hitters don't have to worry about playing off the tips, plenty of bail out all around. (even for 80 m 5 irons on 17 :evil: ). The wind plays havoc across the course. Course has just undergone some reno work, so greens were a bit slower than I expected and fairways cored (we got a cheap round, 52.5 with a cart). I imagine they will speed up by next weekend.

BrisVegas
18th October 2006, 01:50 PM
bit sneaky pete, checking out the course before hand. no wonder you backed yourself!

glad you agree about the non-issue of length. the wind is another story though!!

hope the coring has smoothed out by the time we play it...

what did the RS's have??

AndyP
18th October 2006, 01:58 PM
Maybe he wasn't meant to mention the RSs at all considering it was a sneaky round.

PeteyD
18th October 2006, 02:02 PM
Nah. Shazza broke 100. She really is a dark horse for this one.

Wind is a worry. Coring should be reasonably smooth. Most of the heavy stuff was around the edges of the fairways.

Bunkers are terrifying to look at. I didn't have a double shot in any today but fairway bunkers are an almost guarenteed chip out, and are well placed for both long and short hitters.

BrisVegas
18th October 2006, 02:10 PM
Nah. Shazza broke 100. She really is a dark horse for this one.

Nope, she was my Number 1 pick. Very straight, keeps the ball low (ie. outta the wind), plenty of shots etc. But anyway, that's for another thread. :oops:

shazza_rs
18th October 2006, 02:51 PM
Played with Pete and Pete today at Pac Harbour....... was suprised by the shortness of the course from the ladies tees...... in fact pete and pete have decided that i should play off gold for the champs (right next to AP ;)) as the longest par 4 for ladies is the 337 metre 18th.....

I had a 98 (happy to break 100 after having 50 on the front :)), had 35 putts, a couple of up and downs made this better than it was. Would of ended up with 26 stab points.... crapola!

As peteyD said, renos have just been done over the whole course so was in a little disappointing condition. Hopefully it pulls up good for next weekend.

Jarro
18th October 2006, 02:56 PM
What was the clubhouse like you guys ?

All finished yet ?

PeteyD
18th October 2006, 02:58 PM
looks nice Jarro. Restuarant with deck overlooking the course. I had to rush to work so didn't get a great look at it.

Jarro
18th October 2006, 03:00 PM
How'd you guys go on 17 ?

;)

peter_rs
18th October 2006, 03:03 PM
I'm seriously considering skipping the saturday round of the champs and going to the bar. The potential is there for a good course but i was suprised by its condition being a troon course. My god, theres a course with worse sand than bribie.... it just happens to be on bribie as well.

Out of the sand on the edge of the fairway i could do little more than just get the ball out of the bunker... my longest fairway bunker shot went about 20 metres. No matter what shot i tried to play, my clubs were just digging in.

As for length.... this is one biatch of a course to play blind. Every shot selection i made whether it was fairwood, iron, or driver off the tee seemed to find trouble (that is hidden from view from the tee). Off the blacks, this is very much a driver course, with bunkers positioned challenging you to hit over them.

So the net result was in stab i would of had 23 points, but stroke there was daylight between me and the rest of the field.

First time i have broken 110 for a while....... come to think of it... its the first time i have broken 120 since i took up the game. Mind you, i got in a bit of a mood and couldn't give a flying f u c k for about 5/6 holes.

For the good news. In the shite, there were 7 pars, 4 of which were the par 3's. Guys 17 is easy.... you just need to know how to hit a low mungrel ;)

Managed to come home driver, wedge on 18.

brad
18th October 2006, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the heads up Pete.

It looks like it's going to be a fun day with 42 (approx) of us up there.

BrisVegas
18th October 2006, 03:39 PM
looks nice Jarro. Restuarant with deck overlooking the course. I had to rush to work so didn't get a great look at it.

did you get a look at the prices??? would have thought it would be the ideal spot for some food after the sat arvo torture test....

Jarro
18th October 2006, 03:41 PM
did you get a look at the prices??? would have thought it would be the ideal spot for some food after the sat arvo torture test....

that's what i was thinking Dion.

Maybe we could all get together for a few drinks there as well after our round ?

dc68
18th October 2006, 03:50 PM
Hmm that would not really be fair on the people who are driving methinks.

Jarro
18th October 2006, 03:59 PM
Doesn't have to be HEAPS of drinks :roll:

.. just a couple of quiet ones before you pissheads take off to partake in your nighttime activities ;)

just
18th October 2006, 04:10 PM
I wouldn't object to a few ales before I headed home
Just

Jarro
18th October 2006, 04:12 PM
me either just 8)

PeteyD
21st October 2006, 03:29 PM
Damn quiet week with everyone resting up for the champs I guess. Played royal and Ancient Riverlakes this morning with Keza and the RS's. 4BBB Agg Stab. Had a great front 9 and a soso back to come in with 99/72 and 34 points for me. Had 5 pars, 4 bogies and 4 wipes. Need to holdit together for all 18 one of these days. Greens had just been sanded so were pretty ugly.

Grunt
21st October 2006, 03:58 PM
Will be the first week this year with no golf for me apart from when I was sick.

Oh well will make up for it next week ;)

AndyP
21st October 2006, 04:13 PM
Need to holdit together for all 18 one of these days.
If you are anything like the rest of us, you will be saying the same thing for the rest of your golfing life.

shazza_rs
21st October 2006, 04:14 PM
Played Riverlakes this morning (so damn early).......

Had a 93 for 31 stab points.... greens were ****ing terrible.

Fairways..... Front 6/7 ...Back 4/6......Total 10/13
Greens........ Front 6/9 ....Back 3/9.......Total 9/18
Putts........... Front 23 .....Back 18.........Total 41 (ouch)

Stopped caring bout putting and just rammed them at the hole....... so much ****ing sand to putt over it would of been better to keep the wedge out. :(

Had a fun round though. ;)

peter_rs
21st October 2006, 05:06 PM
Played today at riverlakes early as shazza & I have live on tonight.

Had a 84 with a triple.... 40 pts keza & I had 76pts in the 4ball arg stab. Shazza may pick up two pin shoots (one the super pin)

The bag change worked ok but I missed my 4 iron 3 times... and I only used my 4 wood 3 times.

fairways 6/13; Missed 4 left 3 right
greens 6/18
putts 32
putts/gir 2

1 bird that was almost a eagle... the putt sat on the edge of the hole.

The greens weren't that bad. you just didn't have to expect to much.

BrisWesty
21st October 2006, 07:14 PM
I had a MOe day today. Hit lots of greens in regulation ( 8 ) and fairways ( 8 ) by my standards, and backed that up with 42, yes 42 putts. The greens had been cored and sanded, and I couldn't figure how to lag the ball within 3m on lots of the holes. On the longer putts, they'd either pull up really quickly and stop, or you'd give it a bit more, and it would run several metres past the hole. By the end of it, was just laughing and not taking any 3 (or 4) putt seriously.

There was no way I was going to get down on myself in those circumstances, so I didn't. 27 points in all with only 1 wash, and only 1 3 pointer. I hit the ball pretty well but couldn't do anything on the greens. 2 one putts, 9 x 2 putts, 6 x 3 putts, 1 x 4 putt

Last hole was a perfect example of the day. 1m putt for par with little right to left break. Ball hits a core mark half way, and goes the other way to the extent it completely misses the hole.

Roll on next weekend!

Bruce
22nd October 2006, 06:02 PM
So much for my plans for retirement.

Roped back to fill in for the 3rds even though they knew I wasn't available next week.

52. 2x1 1x2 0x3 9x4 2x6.

The ground was fast and hard. Imagine how it will be after Xmas.
I can feel the arm twisting getting tighter already.

shazza_rs
22nd October 2006, 06:12 PM
Played a round at Northlakes today with Pete.

Wind was strong, at least a 2-3 club wind.

Ended up with a 99.... stopped caring after nine when the first nine took us 2 and 1/2 hours to play. Stuck behind two groups of four who knew each other and were basically playing as group of 8.

I only missed two fairways today (both fairway bunkers). So pretty happy with that. I only hit two greens though :(.

I did manage to par all the par 3's. Something i dont' usually do so happy with that too.

Had 35 putts. Came home with 4 x 1 putts on the back nine.

AndyP
22nd October 2006, 06:25 PM
52. 2x1 1x2 0x3 9x4 2x6.
Nice comeback with the bat. What's with the slogfest?

Just don't let them convince you to roll your arm over.

Courty
22nd October 2006, 07:45 PM
52. 2x1 1x2 0x3 9x4 2x6.

Nice work on the 2 hole-in-ones. ;) :mrgreen:

peter_rs
23rd October 2006, 04:52 AM
played northlakes yesterday. The last game/prac before the champs. I wanted a hard course with fast green and wind.....I got it.

I had 31pts. ok day.

Onewood
23rd October 2006, 06:07 AM
Mitchell had his first round in Div.1 off the whites, starting off with a 27 handicap.
Good week to start, the members had Monthly medal so the whites were set up on the blues.
So his score of 63-27= 36 was'nt to bad.

AndyP
23rd October 2006, 07:07 AM
The last game/prac before the champs. I wanted a hard course with fast green and wind.....I got it.

A round at PH, now Northlakes to get used to conditions.....

Who else is practicing for the Champs?

PeteyD
23rd October 2006, 07:11 AM
I had the round at PH, after getting an invite at 8:30 the night before and decided it sounded better than work. Otherwise Nudgee is my warmup. I was thinking of kooralbyn on Thursday, but all accounts seem to say it is not worth the travel to play at the moment, which is very disappointing.

BrisVegas
23rd October 2006, 07:55 AM

Peter_RS is taking it way too seriously! My preparation is to buy a dozen golf balls, reshuffle the wedge lineup and buy a new driver! :smt002

PeteyD
23rd October 2006, 07:59 AM
I bought 3 dozen golf balls!

Eag's
23rd October 2006, 08:01 AM

I am having a few range sessions this week mainly because I have barely touched a club over the last 6 months :smt087
Working hard on the putting matt at home as well :smt002

AndyP
23rd October 2006, 08:01 AM
Peter_RS is taking it way too seriously!
That's my thinking. If I hit a couple of balls at the PH range beforehand, it will be a bonus.

That said, am I the only OZgolfer to have played both Champs courses this year?

BrisVegas
23rd October 2006, 08:15 AM
That said, am I the only OZgolfer to have played both Champs courses this year?

Ok, you're the favourite then. :)

AndyP
23rd October 2006, 08:19 AM
Ok, you're the favourite then. :)
Oh dear. Looks like I'll need to hit the range every lunch and night then. Or I could just hope that this 7W arrives before the weekend and is a miracle club.

rick3003
23rd October 2006, 08:24 AM
Won the A-reserve club champs at Bankstown GC yesterday.

Started the day 5 shots behind the leader and drew even on the 18th.

3 hole play off starting on 10. One up on 10, square on 11 and 2 up on 18.

First club championship I have played in so I am stoked to say the least.

Rick

Eag's
23rd October 2006, 08:27 AM
Congrats rick3003 that's a great comeback from 5 shots behind :smt038 :smt023

BrisVegas
23rd October 2006, 08:51 AM
Won the A-reserve club champs at Bankstown GC yesterday.

Started the day 5 shots behind the leader and drew even on the 18th.

3 hole play off starting on 10. One up on 10, square on 11 and 2 up on 18.

First club championship I have played in so I am stoked to say the least.

Rick

awesome stuff Rick!!! congratulations. :)

peter_rs
23rd October 2006, 07:08 PM
Its not prac for the champs.... riverlakes greens had be sanded and I wanted nice greens and to play in the wind.... ok maybe a little prac for PH, it also helped we had a 2-4-1 deal.

Well as I'm melb until I get of a plane 9am friday morning any golf I can get would be good.

peter_rs
23rd October 2006, 07:09 PM
now I'm off to perth Wed as there is a break down...

After playing crap greens for ages I just want to see how my putting was going.

BrisWesty
23rd October 2006, 07:25 PM
I got lots of good practice on cored greens that made the fairways look true instead.