PDA

View Full Version : 2nd demo day experience!

goughy
14th October 2006, 06:51 AM
Well, rocked up when my club was having a demo day, which of course I had no idea about. Was only titliest and cobra, but didn't get round to trying out the cobra stuff. Oops. Here's my thoughts and observations.

Irons first. Had a hit of 5 irons of the 695mb and cb's and the 755. Standout for me was the 695mb :o. All were s300 shafts. I was swing ok so I really got a feel for them. Firstly I could really feel the difference between the lightweight shafts I use now and s300's. It's not that mine felt looser, but I noticed the weight difference when swinging. Also the titty's shafts were shorter for the same club. I found the cb's and 755 to be a bit clunky. It felt like a real thwack off the clubface. The standout for me was the 695mb's. I easily hit them the best and they felt by far the smoothest. Even the 3 iron was a joy to hit. Except for the thin hit. I can still feel that one.

I had a hit with some 906f2's in 15* and 18* and a 585h 19*. I had no joy with the 585h. It was fitted with an nv hybrid shaft in stiff. Just never flet comfortable with it. Had a hit with an 18* 906 next, forget the shaft. By now I was trying to smash too much rather than swing smooth so I was pulling them a bit. But they felt ok. After having a hit with some drivers I went back and tried a 906f2 15* with stock titliest stiff (you know, the one with the 432569697 whatever written on the shaft). This club was a thing of beauty. I had no probs hitting it off the fairway or a tee. I even enjoyed the feel of the shaft. I could see some titty fairways in my bag down the track if this was any indication.

Now to what jarro has scrolled down to read first ;) . The bigdogs. I hit several 905R's, all 9.5* and all various stiff shafts. The first had a stiff V2 which I have been wanting to try for a while. I hit it ok, but did not enjoy the feel of the shaft. Next I grabbed a few and headed over to the launch monitor. The first had a fit on stiff which I really enjoyed. This shaft had a very smooth feel which I enjoyed. And the results were pretty good when I swung well. But I'm finding the more and more I go after it the worse and worse the results get. Big left pulls and hooks. Next was an NV stiff. Again I wasn't fussed with the shaft. The feel reminded me of the V2, stiff and unforgiving and like it was kind of flicking back in the middle of the shaft but then stopping dead when straight rather than flexing through. Huh you say. I don't know, but I think I could feel the kick as it recovered through the shot and I didn't like it. Final one was with a ys-6 stiff. On the launchy this produced my better results, although there really wasn't much in it. And the shaft felt nice, but I think just a little whippy through impact. I found with this one if I did go after it the shots went further left or more hook than the others.

Launchy results that I could see; I only took a slight glance at them. Enough of them were launching at about 14* for my liking. Several were down at about 10* and one as high as 17*. But I was using short tees so I don't know if this affected consistancy. My ss was pretty consistantly around 95mph, my ball speed around 140, and he said my carry was around 2305 to 240. Don't know if that was yards or metres, but I'd guess it would be strange to us yards in aus. Anyone want to decifer those numbers for me. I didn't notice the spin rates.

My major observations for the day. I hate NV shafts. It's final. And now the V2 is off my register too. The feel of them was very off putting. I'm definately more of a Pro-Launch, Fit-On, YS-6ish kind of guy. Smoother feeling shafts.

The 906f2's are sweet, and considering how badly I hit my warbird at times there will need to be some kind of change down the track. Honestly my dislike of the 585 probably came from the shaft rather than the club in general. Dang Nv's.

The last is a swing issue I discovered. Lately I've been working on starting the transition to my downswing with my hips rather than my arms. But I've found that works best if it feels like my hips start turning back fairly early, maybe while the club is only half-way through it's backswing. If I waited till I completed my backswing then I tended to come over the top and hit mostly pulls and hooks. But if I fired my hips back early my swing felt much smoother and in general this produced very consistant hits the whole time. Maybe it stops my overswing, and keeps it shorter like I've been trying to do. Whatever, it felt much smoother and felt less like I was going after the ball. Even when I did try and smash one with this swing thought it flew long and straight. Oh well. Something else to work on.

You can all breath now, my long winded report is at an end. Just thank G that I only hit titliests, and only 10 different clubs at that ;)

goughy
14th October 2006, 07:30 AM
Oh yeah, I'll probably get shot for this. But I was hitting those forged irons pretty well and centred, but I'll be damned if I could feel any difference in softness between them and my i3+'s. In fact, while the 695mb felt ok, the cb's and 755 were harsher on my hands than the i3's easily. I"m sorry, but I've never been able to tell the difference between forged and cast irons. I even had to look at the titliest site to check if the cb's and 755's were in fact forged. Since they are forged, for me I conclude that forged or cast mean nothing to me other than one will probably last longer and get dinged less.

Now to get slammed!!

Don't forget, this is my opinion. I'm not preaching to the masses.

Fishman Dan
14th October 2006, 07:39 AM
Goughy - have you tried the NVS? I hate the NV aswell having tried it in a couple of drivers. But they are 2 totally different behaving shafts (in my book), the NVS feels a lot more responsive for me.

goughy
14th October 2006, 08:02 AM
No I haven't. But I think the nvs is a lower kick point shaft to launch higher, and I think that's the kind of feel I like. Cause I also had little joy with the old pro-force shafts too.

gazgolf1
14th October 2006, 08:17 AM
Deano,
Stick with Ping mate ;)..... I just picked up a 10.5 Rapture (Aldila VS Proto) and if range time is any indication I'll be hitting second shots from........well a couple of metres closer to the green than I usually do.;)
The 10.5 gives me a really strong ball flight without ballooning and the VS shaft feels very smooth and tight.
I've got a 9 degree with the same shaft with your name on it brother :)

goughy
14th October 2006, 08:24 AM
You're scaring me gaz :o

Actually, the demo day caught me by surprise. The fairways and hybrid was what I was really after. The main reason I hit lots of drivers were for the guy witht he launchy.

I'm a ping boy at heart.

Moe Norman
14th October 2006, 08:28 AM
put me in the NV shafts suck school as well. The NVS are ok.

saw the Rapture at Perci's place Gaz - f#cking mint!

BrisVegas
14th October 2006, 10:02 AM
Firstly I could really feel the difference between the lightweight shafts I use now and s300's.

It is amazing how different the shafts can feel, even in irons. I found that I was flailing about with the lightweight shafts. The heavier DG's kept me more on track and allowed my rhythm to stay smooth.

The standout for me was the 695mb's. I easily hit them the best and they felt by far the smoothest. Even the 3 iron was a joy to hit. Except for the thin hit. I can still feel that one.
Wow! You the man! I couldn't get comfortable with the 695's. They were just too small and penal (not penile). and that's from someone who already plays blades!

I had no joy with the 585h. It was fitted with an nv hybrid shaft in stiff. Just never flet comfortable with it.
Honestly my dislike of the 585 probably came from the shaft rather than the club in general.

I tried the 585h with NV and couldn't hit it to save myself. I consider it to be an iron replacement, so it needs to feel chunky like an iron. nothing feels chunkier than a DG shaft! Before you write off the 585h, try it with a steel shaft, same weight & flex as you like in your irons.

I could see some titty fairways in my bag down the track if this was any indication.
Check out Moe's collection of 904F's for sale. They are very similar to the 906 and half the price...

I hit several 905R's, all 9.5* and all various stiff shafts. Final one was with a ys-6 stiff. On the launchy this produced my better results, although there really wasn't much in it. And the shaft felt nice, but I think just a little whippy through impact.
Interesting that the stiff was too whippy for you. That backs up what peter_rs was saying about them. Which is weird because that pro we played with at the City Pro Am had a 10.5 905R with stiff YS6! And he was giving it a fair old rip.

Stick with your pings i reckon! The current range of Titleist irons don't do much for me. Forging is a fad, IMHO. Give it a few years and there'll be a range of soft cast clubs out from all the big OEMs. Again, just MHO, but the metal makes such a tiny difference to the "feel" of an iron shot. The type of ball used is far more influential, followed by the type of shaft...

kwantfm
14th October 2006, 10:20 AM
goughy,

Sounds like you like similar shafts to me...

You HAVE to try the VS Proto. Amazing shaft with all the right characteristics. Super smooth, highish launch and nice low spin. It is the best shaft I've hit in a driver in windy conditions, and I've hit dozens of shafts.

Cheers,
T

goughy
14th October 2006, 11:49 AM
Before you write off the 585h, try it with a steel shaft, same weight & flex as you like in your irons.

Check out Moe's collection of 904F's for sale. They are very similar to the 906 and half the price...

Interesting that the stiff was too whippy for you. That backs up what peter_rs was saying about them. Which is weird because that pro we played with at the City Pro Am had a 10.5 905R with stiff YS6! And he was giving it a fair old rip.

The 585 is far from written off. NV shafts are tho.

Not in a position to buy a new wood atm, but in time that will come. I was drooling over my keyboard at moe's 15* 904f with the fit-on!!!

I wouldn't say it was necessarily too whippy for me. But when I didn't put a good swing on (mostly from going too hard at it) it gave me the worst results of the lot. On good swings it was great. The rep thought it was the best for me in general. I certainly wouldn't call them a stiff stiff. They seem to want a smooth swing, which is what gives me the best results anyway. Just gotta try and not do a jaster.

rick3003
16th October 2006, 03:23 PM
I am another NV hater. I am in the middle of going all Titleist and have to agree that the 585H NV combo is awful. About to put a Vista Pro 80 in the 585H. Also picked up a 905r cheap but it also had a bloody NV. Getting a Diamana 63x put in this week. Hopefully this will make a huge difference.

I just cant seem to load those shafts and they feel like they have no kick at all. Why do so many clubs come stock with these shafts? Must be the price I guess. The stock titleist shafts perform better for me.

BrisVegas
16th October 2006, 03:26 PM
I am another NV hater. I am in the middle of going all Titleist and have to agree that the 585H NV combo is awful. About to put a Vista Pro 80 in the 585H. Also picked up a 905r cheap but it also had a bloody NV. Getting a Diamana 63x put in this week. Hopefully this will make a huge difference.

Welcome aboard the choc milk train.:)

rick3003
16th October 2006, 04:01 PM
Welcome aboard the choc milk train.:)
Excuse my ignorance but what does choc milk refer to? Its not the first time I have heard it!

kwantfm
16th October 2006, 05:38 PM
Choc Milk = Titleist

Koolaid = Taylor Made

Jarro
16th October 2006, 05:44 PM
KOOLAID ROCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:p

Moe Norman
16th October 2006, 06:04 PM
nice signature

Jarro
16th October 2006, 06:05 PM
technicality Moe my good man .... Titleist balls are #1 ;)