PDA

View Full Version : AFL Finals Buildup/Predictions

AndyP
23rd August 2004, 12:53 PM
We are one round away from the finals, and it looks like the final eight and positions is almost set, unless there are a couple of upsets in the last round.

The top eight looks like finishing as below:

1. Port Adelaide - Yet another minor premiership
2. Brisbane Lions - Set up for two home finals
3. St Kilda
4. Geelong
5. Melbourne
6. Sydney
7. West Coast
8. Essendon

Which makes the first week of the finals:

Port v Geelong
After another interstate loss by Geelong on the weekend, it is hard to see them winning this one. Although they pushed Port to less than a goal earlier in the year. Would be great to see Port choke once again.

Lions v StKilda
See R21 results. :roll:

Melbourne v Essendon
Both teams seem to be a bit flakey, however Melbourne did overcome their Essendon bogey earlier this year. Should be a great game.

Sydney v West Coast
Don't really care about this one. It is a bit unfortunate that one of them could be knocked out, as they are the two teams that really trouble Brisbane. This game might be played at the MCG. :shock:

Unfortunately it is hard to see Brisbane not winning the premiership. :(
Port can't play at the MCG. Geelong are their best at Kardinia Park. Saints have been very good at the Dome, but fairly ordinary elsewhere. Brisbane step up at the 'G' everytime they play there.

Of course, the fact that the MCC won't bend on their right to host a certain amount of finals, could really mess around with finals results. :roll:

Fishman Dan
23rd August 2004, 01:24 PM
Sadly i think you're right, there's not a lot to stop the Lions this year.

Port: GF berth? But not winners this year. PS - Thanks for Nick Stevens.
Geelong: I think they'll get an attack of Port-itis. They'll wake up on the morning of files match and not know what to do next.
St Kilda: See Above. Potential GF team, but they'll get flogged as per their early-90's attempt.
Melbourne: Yeah, right. Did you see them against Carlton?! 0% chance.
Sydney: Surely they can't. But if they play their boring brand of netball tactics they could sneak into contention.
West Coast: Unknown. Likely to win through to last weeks of finals. Also like to get beaten by 150 by the Swans.
Essendon: As per St Kilda - haven't put it together in the 2nd half of the season.
Fremantle: They aren't expected to make it to the finals, so look out.

Games of the week this weekend would have have be;

St Kilda vs Freo - Telstra Dome
Essendon vs Western Bulldogs

.5% between them on the ladder. Both have to win, and win well.. If both lose, and the 'Roos knock the Lions off (at the Gabba...hmm..) then they are in.

AndyP
23rd August 2004, 01:32 PM
Games of the week this weekend would have have be;

St Kilda vs Freo - Telstra Dome
Essendon vs Western Bulldogs

.5% between them on the ladder. Both have to win, and win well..

Can't see Freo winning their game, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Doggies knocked Essendon over.
I wouldn't write the Roos off against Brisbane either. They have plenty to play for, and they usually put up a good fight at the Gabba. I just can't see them falling across the line.

How about these games:
Geelong vs Hawthorn
Richmond vs Sydney.
Less than 1% between them on the ladder, so neither can afford to get flogged. The race for the spoon isn't over yet. :wink:
Richmond play first, so the Hawks will be aware of the equation come Sunday.

Fishman Dan
23rd August 2004, 01:38 PM

So they will know how much they can afford to lose by? :lol:

3oneday
23rd August 2004, 01:47 PM
Glad to see u are the only 2 who are into GAYFL, enjoying your chat ???

:lol:

Jarro
23rd August 2004, 01:54 PM

:lol:

couldn't have put it any better myself Pete :smt023 =D>

AndyP
23rd August 2004, 01:55 PM
So they will know how much they can afford to lose by? :lol:
On that, I can't understand the media hype about the two teams hoping to lose yesterday, so they would get the no. 1 draft pick. As if any team would try to lose a match.

How much difference is there going to be between the no. 1 and no. 2 draft picks? The 2001 draft saw Luke Hodge, Luke Ball and Chris Judd picked up in the first 3 picks. All three will be superstars.
I beleive James Hird was picked up at something like no. 81. Last year, Aaron Davey (Melbourne) wasn't picked up at all (I think), he got through from their rookie list. He is a great player.

So I don't see what the media's argument is. :?

So it's alright to talk about bumsniffing in other threads???
Bugger Off. :P

Jarro
23rd August 2004, 02:00 PM

settle petal [-X

.. we was just messin' with ya :smt112

3oneday
23rd August 2004, 02:04 PM
firey critter :lol:

whose bum was sniffing ?? got a serious gas issue I could talk about !!

Pete :lol:

AndyP
23rd August 2004, 02:40 PM

settle petal [-X

Your moderator power doesn't scare me, mate. You have always been prejudiced against us AFL followers. If I need to, I will take this to the top. :mrgreen:

CobraSS
23rd August 2004, 10:06 PM
Although as a Lions Fan, I agree we are looking good to make 4 on the trott, but I am still worried RE the ruckman situation the Lions are in. Keating and the rookie is what we are down too, and Keating is very injury prone. If he stays healthy we should win it, but if he don't I think we are gone do it tough.

AndyP
23rd August 2004, 10:39 PM
Although as a Lions Fan, I agree we are looking good to make 4 on the trott, but I am still worried RE the ruckman situation the Lions are in. Keating and the rookie is what we are down too, and Keating is very injury prone. If he stays healthy we should win it, but if he don't I think we are gone do it tough.
Keating always plays come finals time.
I'm so glad the Hawks got Spider Everitt, instead of Keating. He is such a cripple.

gazgolf1
24th August 2004, 04:57 AM
Keating always plays come finals time.
I'm so glad the Hawks got Spider Everitt, instead of Keating. He is such a cripple.

Now you have to be kidding Andy :shock:
Spider Everitt is'nt fit to carry Clark Keating's bag.

The guy's a fruitloop that gets more tatts than kicks :roll:
Jeez being glad to get Spider Everitt,I'll see if Mark Jacko Jackson feels like pulling on the Brown & Gold. :?

AndyP
24th August 2004, 07:52 AM

Now you have to be kidding Andy :shock:
Spider Everitt is'nt fit to carry Clark Keating's bag.

The guy's a fruitloop that gets more tatts than kicks :roll:
Jeez being glad to get Spider Everitt,I'll see if Mark Jacko Jackson feels like pulling on the Brown & Gold. :?
Fishy, can you have your say on this one, obviously we are biased towards our own teams. Although I rated Everitt above Keating when he was at St. Kilda.

In my opinion there is no comparison, Everitt can take control of a game and win it himself, and is an all-round better player. He is one of the league's premier tap-ruckmen and is pretty menacing up forward also. I would be surprised if he was not picked for All-Australian this year.

I can't even think of an argument for Crackers Keating.

markTHEblake
24th August 2004, 09:12 AM
1. Port Adelaide - Yet another minor premiership
2. Brisbane Lions - Set up for two home finals

You have tipped Port to win their first final which means Brisbane wont get two home finals. The system means that Lions prelim will be in Melbourne.

If Brisbane makes the GF they will win against all comers.
As much as i hate to say it, Port Adelaide will be premiers if Brisbane dont make it that far.

despite the Port-i-chokes they now have the finals 'experience' to take it one further as long as they are playing against one of the other finals bunnies, of which most in the 8 are apart from Lions.

In any case I will be barracking for the Lions and whoever is playing the PaP smears.

Fishman Dan
28th August 2004, 01:37 AM
You league fans have got to be joking.

Tonight was the final game in the AFL for 2 teams that have no chance of making the 8, and over 60 000 people came and saw a traditional slug-fest.

Your game is banning players for 1/2 a season at a time, and meanwhile over at Stadium Australia a game with a team on the fringe of the finals looked like a stadium in Athens to watch shameless display of "roll-over, good boy".

By the way - i won't get too gee'd up and carry on, i know the Pies supporters at this forum will be hurting enough..

("Know"/"hope", same diff...)

GO THE MIGHTY BLUES!!!

Jarro
28th August 2004, 06:55 AM
i hope that's not the emotion of a rare Carlton win talking there Fishy :roll:

Fishman Dan
28th August 2004, 10:21 AM
You bet it is ;)

Jarro
28th August 2004, 10:23 AM
well that's OK then :wink:

.. 'cos we all know the Rugby League is a far superior game :P

AndyP
28th August 2004, 04:14 PM
.. 'cos we all know the Rugby League is a far superior game :P

Like hell it is. :twisted:

Onya, Fishy.
BTW, I tipped this. Hope Judge didn't. :wink:

It seems the Swannies have almost guaranteed that the useless Tigers get the spoon they deserve. :)

Fishman Dan
29th August 2004, 08:14 PM
Went to the Parra vs Penrith game on the weekend - a local derby and all the fans came out - all 14 000 of them :roll: :lol:

I've gotta say that in a league hot-spot (Parra Stadium) it's good to see families coming out, and a lot of eager kiddies, but as a spectacle NRL doesn't weigh up.

McMw
30th August 2004, 09:19 AM
woo hoo....

eagles are in, dockers are out!!!

:smt109 \:D/ :smt005

Jarro
30th August 2004, 09:32 AM
just give the cup to the Lions now ..... from the little AFL i've seen this year, looks like they're head and shoulders above the rest 8)

AndyP
30th August 2004, 09:57 AM
just give the cup to the Lions now ..... from the little AFL i've seen this year, looks like they're head and shoulders above the rest 8)

That's what we have been saying. :roll:

Finals Draw (Week 1):
Brisbane Lions v St Kilda (Gabba - Fri night)
Melbourne v Essendon (The 'G' - Sat)
Sydney v West Coast (Homebush - Sat night)
Port Adelaide v Geelong (Football Park - Sun)

I'm sure Essendon and Melbourne are both happy about the team they are playing in the first week. On current form, neither of these two teams deserve to make the second week of the finals, but one of them will.

If we assume all of the favourites will win in the next two weeks. The Prelims will see St Kilda travelling to Port Adelaide, and the interesting one; Brisbane playing Geelong at the MCG due to one Prelim having to be played there. :-k

Fishman Dan
30th August 2004, 10:34 AM
Brisbane playing Geelong at the MCG due to one Prelim having to be played there. :-k

That wouldn't be so bad, but i think the AFL are talking about 'owing' that final at the MCG for another year.

AndyP
30th August 2004, 11:00 AM
Brisbane playing Geelong at the MCG due to one Prelim having to be played there. :-k

That wouldn't be so bad, but i think the AFL are talking about 'owing' that final at the MCG for another year.
That's ambitious. It's hard to see two Victorian teams earning the right to host a preliminary final in the same season, in the near future.

Onewood
30th August 2004, 05:55 PM
It's hard to see any Vic side hosting a prelim at all for a few years :D

Maybe the hawks next year :shock: if they find a coach by then :D

AndyP
31st August 2004, 07:40 AM
Maybe the hawks next year :shock: if they find a coach by then :D
You guys are really starting to sh*t me. :x :roll:

Fishman Dan
31st August 2004, 08:14 AM
Don't worry AP - it won't be long before a Carlton or Collingwood is making up the numbers again. ;)

So far:

Melbourne: No Neitz (50/50 at this stage)
Brisbane: Lynch OUT - they shouldn't struggle though
St Kilda - No Hamill. They'll struggle without him.

AndyP
31st August 2004, 09:12 AM

I don't think that Neitz is that big of a loss. He has been in pretty poor form, and if he does actually take a mark, he is more than likely to miss the goal. Melbourne were too Neitz-orientated when heading into their forward line. They don't need to be, they have other good forwards like Holland, Miller, Robertson and Davey.

Fishman Dan
31st August 2004, 09:18 AM

I don't think that Neitz is that big of a loss. He has been in pretty poor form, and if he does actually take a mark, he is more than likely to miss the goal. Melbourne were too Neitz-orientated when heading into their forward line. They don't need to be, they have other good forwards like Holland, Miller, Robertson and Davey.

He missed 3 simple goals against Carlton, presented, marked, roved, just missed the goals. Then did nothing. And without him, the D's couldn't generate the goals. They need him firing to spur on Davey and the likes..

AndyP
31st August 2004, 10:19 AM
He missed 3 simple goals against Carlton, presented, marked, roved, just missed the goals. Then did nothing. And without him, the D's couldn't generate the goals. They need him firing to spur on Davey and the likes..
I noticed against the Blues, that there was a severe lack of rovers/crumbers when Neitz did spill marks or was spoiled. :?

AndyP
3rd September 2004, 09:00 AM
Here are my tips for the weekend, even though they count for naught. (I'll never get catch up that one tip on Judge :cry:):

Brisbane v St Kilda
Brisbane were too good two weeks ago, there hasn't been that much that has changed since.

Melbourne v Essendon
Bit hard to tip this one, and neither should have much of an impact on the finals anyway. Although Melbourne has a good record at the 'G' this year, I say winning form is good form.

Port Adelaide v Geelong
Geelong haven't won interstate yet, don't think they will this weekend, although I am sure they will have a good crack. Port have been good all year, despite key player injuries.

Sydney v West Coast
Sydney just seem to keep finding a way to win, despite being written off at the start of the last couple of seasons. Not sure what difference it will make for West Coast playing at Homebush for the first time.

Fishman Dan
3rd September 2004, 09:56 AM
AP - nice work, i like the way you've boldly gravitated towards all the favourites ;)

I agree though - wonder what a multi- would pay at the TAB.

Swannies - dark horses for the flag. Every year they get to this position, and every year the media is always on about how Port of Bris will win, or why other teams failed.

ALL ABOARD!.... The Swannies September bandwagon..

AndyP
3rd September 2004, 10:11 AM
Stuff the Swans. I hate them.

Go the Pussies!

Fishman Dan
3rd September 2004, 11:11 AM
Stuff the Swans. I hate them.

Go the Pussies!

There you go again, dragging this forum down to YOUR level...

i.e. not quite the lowest it can go, but really, really low....

AndyP
3rd September 2004, 11:47 AM
There you go again, dragging this forum down to YOUR level...

i.e. not quite the lowest it can go, but really, really low....
At least I didn't bring it down to Jarro level.

I still say: Go the Cats!

Onewood
3rd September 2004, 06:49 PM
I'm feeling an EAGLES year coming on :D

Jarro
3rd September 2004, 07:15 PM
At least I didn't bring it down to Jarro level.

Hey, what did i do wrong here :?

Onewood
3rd September 2004, 09:35 PM
Can I just say :wink: The LION'S are looking good :D

Jarro
3rd September 2004, 09:41 PM
I'm feeling an EAGLES year coming on :D

.. not this year by the look of it mate :roll:

GO LIONS!!!!!

Fishman Dan
4th September 2004, 12:36 PM
Do you think we should end talk of the 4...and start talking about possibilities of 5 ?

That's funny, i always thought you were a league man - oh, that's right, the Bronc's were dead-set flogged last night.

I thought a Bronco/Penrith half/full time double would be on the money, but that was the best first 40 minutes i've seen Penrith put on the park. Panthers are looking good, and Preston was awesome.

Jarro
4th September 2004, 12:53 PM
I thought a Bronco/Penrith half/full time double would be on the money, but that was the best first 40 minutes i've seen Penrith put on the park. Panthers are looking good, and Preston was awesome.

Don't think my boys had the intensity level up last night, they had nothing to gain by winning, with their spot in the top 3 secured, and a home final.
Lockyer, Berrigan, Carroll will be back next week.. should be a ripper :D

Penrith now face the prospect of a pumped up St.George in the first round of the finals ..... time to be afraid boys, time to be very afraid :lol:

Onewood
4th September 2004, 04:43 PM
EAGLES would be feeling good about thing's tonight :D Win this and face the demoralised Saint's

Jarro
4th September 2004, 10:22 PM
.. not looking good Onewood :(

Fishman Dan
5th September 2004, 09:36 AM
EAGLES would be feeling good about thing's tonight :D Win this and face the demoralised Saint's

That Queensland air has gone to your brain Kev, they never had a chance.

And the storm that hit us was a dead-set cracker - we were baby-sitting for a mate and it came bucketing down, hailstones and the lot. The missus suggested i get their clothes off the line in case they got destroyed, not a lot of fun running through the rain getting smashed by the hail. The 10 month old thought it was pretty amusing.. anything for a laugh i guess.. :roll:

AndyP
5th September 2004, 12:54 PM
I think the cup has already been engraved with Brisbane's name on it. :(

Onewood
5th September 2004, 01:04 PM
Wonder how the nerves are with PORT :roll: Go CATS :D

Onewood
5th September 2004, 05:28 PM
What did you guy's think of the Brown incident :?: :roll:

Jarro
5th September 2004, 05:44 PM

didn't look to be much in it to me, but you AFL pussies can't even look at each other without fronting the tribunal :roll:

.. my guess, the powers down south will do anything to stop a 4th premiership going to the boys from the north :evil:

Onewood
5th September 2004, 05:49 PM

didn't look to be much in it to me, but you AFL pussies can't even look at each other without fronting the tribunal :roll:

.. my guess, the powers down south will do anything to stop a 4th premiership going to the boys from the north :evil:

Atleast we can plead not guilty and fight the charge......not like the bumb sniffers, plead guilty or cop an extra week or two :D :lol: :lol:

Fishman Dan
5th September 2004, 07:51 PM

Goooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrnnnnnnnnnne!

This guy is so ****ing stupid he should be playing league.... Team is up by 6+ goals, has his man in a headlock from behind, and chucks him to the ground. He's been to the tribunal twice, three times this year??

He's got to get at least 2 weeks.

damoocow
5th September 2004, 08:04 PM
I agree Fishman - Brown is a twit - he deserves to miss the Lion's finals charge - maybe missing out will make him realise what a dipshit he really is -
damoocow

Jarro
5th September 2004, 08:25 PM
This guy is so ****ing stupid he should be playing league....

He's probably the only one of those catch'n'kick fairies that we'd let play our glorious game anyway Fishy ... he's big and tough, just like our league boys 8) :P

I still can't see what he did to get into such hot water :? Are you guys actually allowed to touch one another or not :?: maybe he pulled someones jumper in back play.. that's gotta be worth at least 2 weeks on the sideline in your game hasn't it.

Onewood
5th September 2004, 10:28 PM
I agree Fishman - Brown is a twit - he deserves to miss the Lion's finals charge - maybe missing out will make him realise what a dipshit he really is -
damoocow

Should have known not to ask a simple question of you guy's :roll:

All you get is TWIT and DIPSHIT answer's :lol:

AndyP
6th September 2004, 08:07 AM
I don't think he would normally get suspended for the incident, but if you consider his record......

.. my guess, the powers down south will do anything to stop a 4th premiership going to the boys from the north
What the hell are you taking about jarro? It was those powers that gave them their last three premierships. Anyone else know of a side that can afford three Brownlow medallists (Maybe four with Lappin this year), and still stay under the salary cap?

He's probably the only one of those catch'n'kick fairies that we'd let play our glorious game anyway Fishy ... he's big and tough, just like our league boys
Big and tough and stupid, it takes a lot of talent to run into a bunch of blokes, instead of going around them. :roll:

AndyP
20th September 2004, 10:38 AM
How good were those preliminary finals on the weekend? Disappointing results, but an outstanding penultimate weekend of footy anyway.

Iain
20th September 2004, 10:45 AM
How good were those preliminary finals on the weekend? Disappointing results, but an outstanding penultimate weekend of footy anyway.
Nothing wrong with the results AndyP..... :wink:

Will be a good final, No 1 vs No 2.

markTHEblake
20th September 2004, 11:59 AM
I am just very gratefull that Lions made it to the GF, becuase their the only team that can beat the Portachokes

Its not that the portachokes are winners, but against anyone else they would have choked less - and thats just a plain horrible thought.

Ports strength appears to be in attacking from their own defence, something they will not find so easy against the Lions.

Fishman Dan
20th September 2004, 01:08 PM
It's just a shame to think that Akermanis' head can expand even further....

markTHEblake
20th September 2004, 01:42 PM
yeah, but he follows it up with actions - rarely does he come off looking silly, and i have yet to see a journo get the better of him, including Newman.

He might just end up being the next Dennis Cometti

AndyP
20th September 2004, 02:00 PM
But wasn't it fantastic when Joel Corey ran him down from behind and tackled him. Loved it.

Iain
20th September 2004, 03:20 PM
In fact...Lions - Penrith double has a feeling of deja-vu. :wink:
I like your thinking. :smt023 :smt023

AndyP
20th September 2004, 03:21 PM
Lions by lots this weekend....Port played their final last week.
Agreed. The Power just played their GF, it was business as usual for the Lions.

Onewood
20th September 2004, 04:48 PM

Agreed :D great minds think alike :wink:

gazgolf1
20th September 2004, 05:21 PM

Agreed :D great minds think alike :wink:

If by business as usual you mean they played like crap I'd agree with you.

I've seen every game they've played in their 3 premiership seasons and I can't remember them playing that badly :x .
Skill errors,non existent checking,crappy defence and the worst goalkicking all year had me reaching for a few more soothing ales than usual.
Maybe the week they had off left them flatter than Shaun Harts nose but If they play like that on Saturday Port will beat em by 10 goals.
Lethal better work his magic this week. :?

AndyP
21st September 2004, 07:41 AM
No, I meant that the Lions didn't get carried away with the win, and set themselves for the big one. It wasn't a sense of relief of making the GF, like it was for Port.

So, you are not prepared to give Geelong any credit? I thought they were the better side for a lot of the match, and failed to capitalise.

markTHEblake
21st September 2004, 10:02 AM
No, I meant that the Lions didn't get carried away with the win, and set themselves for the big one.

So I wasnt the only one who thought Port celebrated too much after beating St Kilda?

Thats always a bad sign.

AndyP
21st September 2004, 10:37 AM
So I wasnt the only one who thought Port celebrated too much after beating St Kilda?
The tears may have been a little too much. :o

gazgolf1
21st September 2004, 12:06 PM
No, I meant that the Lions didn't get carried away with the win, and set themselves for the big one. It wasn't a sense of relief of making the GF, like it was for Port.

So, you are not prepared to give Geelong any credit? I thought they were the better side for a lot of the match, and failed to capitalise.

No credit where credit is due Geelong played well on the night,they ran hard and could have won the game if they kicked straight but the Brisbane side that smashed St Kilda twice in 3 weeks did not turn up last Saturday night. :?