PDA

View Full Version : WDYSTM - September 2022

PeteyD
3rd September 2022, 03:28 PM
93/77 in the wet. 2 poor holes including a shank into a penalty area hurt. Will be interesting to see how many play all 4 rounds, quite a lot of pull-outs.

BUSHY
3rd September 2022, 03:52 PM
A single birdie in the medal, around the white course - so actually +3.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220903/b9094d0c53482893b4a8be3150716464.jpg

Kelsey86
3rd September 2022, 05:44 PM
They ended up calling it off about half an hour after my post but still had a black markers Stableford on, so I went out anyway. Ended up with 37 points from 87 gross. 19 on the front 9 then had an absolute mare with 2 points from 10-12 before finishing off well. Short game was off today, kept leaving them short thinking it wouldn't check as much in the damp conditions but it did, and I didn't putt all that well either. 9/14 fairways, 4 greens, 33 putts. Greens were softer so approaches stopped nicely.
Back again tomorrow off the whites this time.

WBennett
3rd September 2022, 07:49 PM
After 5 holes, I was 10 over with two triples, a FRAT, and 2 doubles. I was looking for a lake to end the pain.

Anyway, slightly better back half, 88/78 and won a ball on a tough day for scoring

Dcanto
3rd September 2022, 08:15 PM
89 net 79 at Half Moon Bay in the September monthly medal. Just couldn't get anything going and when I stuffed up it was usually in a big way. My short game needs some work.

bdoug10
3rd September 2022, 08:32 PM
Very frustrating day for me today. 1st round of champs in the wet, started with a lip out birdie and that sort of set the tone. Drove the ball the best I ever had but couldn’t make a putt or have any luck. Runs of par followed by a double or triple. Think I also found every bunker that was in play. 8 shots of the lead already 😟. Also missed out on ball rundown on count back

83 gross for nett 72

JoeS
3rd September 2022, 08:58 PM
Solid day today for Monthly Medal.
19 points on the front and 17 on the back. Missed 2 putts today inside 600mm. I was hitting it ok, but just couldn't hole that big putt.

76/71
2 birdies
Won on a 3 way count back.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Dazza
4th September 2022, 01:34 PM
29 points around Alice Springs this morning.

Took 9 holes to warm up (8 points on the front) then had a solid back 9 (21 points)

AndyP
4th September 2022, 03:41 PM
Don't worry everyone, I'll start the September thread and move the posts across. Not all heroes wear capes.

03/09/2022, Wolston Park GC (Scr 66 Sl 113 Par 67), Gold Tees, Club Champs Rd 1.

Strokes Gained vs Scratch
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220904/4d8db141f6c7968650c2661f31da5f63.jpg

Scoring: PPXBPPXPP PBPPPPPBP; 40:34:74 nett 67 (+5:+2:+7).
Played to 8.0. Golflink 8.5 (-0.3).
Current Champs Placings: Gross 8th, Div 1 Nett 4th.

After a postponement earlier in the year, the champs are finally here, albeit still very wet. My plan was to have put plenty of practice in during the lead up, but the serratus anterior injury has curtailed that. I teed off near midday so avoided the water from the sky, and only had to deal with the water on the ground.

After pulling back on the driver a bit, I am keeping it within play a lot more setting me up nicely for approaches. However, I'm still not getting the job done with the approaches though, despite that part of my game getting the most attention this year; yesterday felt like a thin or slice day. Fortunately, the short game was up for the challenge and saved me several times, giving me quite a few tap-ins.

A couple of doubles on the front were sloppy, including a missed tap-in, but the tough back nine was super solid, especially considering there were no birds. I can't complain too much with that score and my current placings in the champs. I can't expect the short game to save me next week, so I'm hoping I can get these irons sorted out, even though I probably won't risk practicing.

BUSHY
5th September 2022, 10:11 AM
We’d be lost without you Andy

AndyP
5th September 2022, 10:52 AM
We’d be lost without you Andy
Thank you for that acknowledgement.

Kelsey86
5th September 2022, 01:59 PM
Pretty ordinary 30 points yesterday off the whites. The wind was strong and swirling around a bit and made judging distance a bit difficult. Only hit one green, although the majority of misses were on target but fell short, one went too long, so at least I was hitting the irons pretty well in terms of striking and line. Driving was ok hitting 6 fairways, I hit a couple of horrible hooks on 15 and 16 that led to wipes, but sorted out whatever that issue was on 17 and 18. My putting has been off a bit lately, pace is ok but I'm not quite getting the line right and burning lots of edges. Always next week I suppose.

AndyP
5th September 2022, 04:00 PM
04/09/2022, Brisbane Golf Club (Scr 72 Sl 130 Par 72), Blue Tees, Yeerongpilly Cup.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220905/147773788ede86c86bc06f0fcce08e58.jpg

Scoring (from 1st, but started on 13th): XBPBXbBBB XBPBBPBPB ; 45:43:88 nett 79 (+9:+7:+16).
Played to 13.9. Golflink 8.5 (-0.0).
Placing: 58th from 75.

A disappointing score in a big event yesterday. I had another really good day with the driver, but the gusty winds had their way with my suspect approach game; I estimate that the wind cost me about 4 strokes. On top of that, I holed only one putt over one metre, which is ridiculous and it was demoralising by the end. It wasn't a bad stroke, but I just could not read the breaks or lack of them.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220905/a9a17ed9bd90b38c005dec496dfd60cf.jpg

Sink just a few of those, and the score looks much more respectable.

The +6 marker having 4 over makes me feel a bit better about my score. Also, a player in my group off 4, had a 75 nett 71, with score bingo from eagle through to double bogey. He hit a skanky approach on a par 5 for the eagle, holed at least two, maybe three 15m+putts including from off the green, and had at least two double bogeys. What a roller coaster!

BobsYourUncle
5th September 2022, 04:12 PM
I forgot about the Yeerongpilly Cup! Must've been wet though, and I ended up playing in our club champs (which was subsequently called off).

edit: was it the 3rd (Saturday) or the 4th (yesterday)?

AndyP
5th September 2022, 06:02 PM
I forgot about the Yeerongpilly Cup! Must've been wet though, and I ended up playing in our club champs (which was subsequently called off).

edit: was it the 3rd (Saturday) or the 4th (yesterday)?
It was yesterday (post fixed) and I noticed that your name wasn't in the draw, and assumed that you must have been in Adelaide still. The course was in really good condition, although the greens were slower than expected.

BobsYourUncle
5th September 2022, 06:24 PM
It was yesterday (post fixed) and I noticed that your name wasn't in the draw, and assumed that you must have been in Adelaide still. The course was in really good condition, although the greens were slower than expected. Nope, just forgot. I ended up playing a quick round at Brisbane River GC - haven't played there before, and have pennants there next Sunday. I had low expectations, but was actually fairly impressed. It's a hard, hilly walk though. Made a rare par 4 eagle, which was nice - drove the green on 17 and sunk the putt.

AndyP
5th September 2022, 06:49 PM
Nope, just forgot. I ended up playing a quick round at Brisbane River GC - haven't played there before, and have pennants there next Sunday. I had low expectations, but was actually fairly impressed. It's a hard, hilly walk though. Made a rare par 4 eagle, which was nice - drove the green on 17 and sunk the putt.
Last time that I was there I was disappointed. Were 10 and 18 back to being normal holes or temp?

BobsYourUncle
6th September 2022, 09:10 AM
Last time that I was there I was disappointed. Were 10 and 18 back to being normal holes or temp?

10 was a normal hole - a (very) short par 4 with a green on the side of a hill, with everthing funnelling towards water. 18 was a longer par 4 (played into the wind), strong dog-leg right.

There was a temporary green on one of the par 3s on the back 9 (looks like green renovation happening), and the 6th was playing short due to what looked like flood damage to the tee blocks. I preferred the front 9, and really liked the 6th (even with the forward tees).

BobsYourUncle
10th September 2022, 12:12 PM
First round of club champs, take 2 (last weekend was washed out).

Started on the 10th.

PPPPPPPPP-BPPBPPbPP 71/69

Very boring golf to start with. Had heaps of looks at birdie, but nothing inside about 12 feet, and none dropped on the first 9. Sunk a good putt on 18 though to get up and down. Chunked a 9 iron in the mud on 1, and three putted from way above the hole on 4. Finally sunk a birdie putt on 7, then burned the edge on 8 and lipped out on 9. A solid round, but could've been a bit lower.

backintheswing
10th September 2022, 01:10 PM
First round of club champs, take 2 (last weekend was washed out).

Started on the 10th.

PPPPPPPPP-BPPBPPbPP 71/69

Very boring golf to start with. Had heaps of looks at birdie, but nothing inside about 12 feet, and none dropped on the first 9. Sunk a good putt on 18 though to get up and down. Chunked a 9 iron in the mud on 1, and three putted from way above the hole on 4. Finally sunk a birdie putt on 7, then burned the edge on 8 and lipped out on 9. A solid round, but could've been a bit lower.Is this at Brookwater?

BobsYourUncle
10th September 2022, 01:19 PM
Is this at Brookwater? No, Sandy. Brookwater champs were earlier in the year.

shazza_rs
10th September 2022, 07:45 PM
32 points round Royal Nudgee today

4 doubles
9 bogies
5 pars

Couldn’t buy a putt. Had at least 5 putts lip out.

Enough for a win in the comp. All winners and runner ups had 32 points across all three divisions 😂

Hatchman
10th September 2022, 08:32 PM
Squeezed 2 rounds in today.
Stableford at North Haven in the morning.
All parts of game were completely dysfunctional. Struggled all round to scrounge 23pts. 0 Birdies, only 3 Pars and 1 hosel rocket.

Jumped straight in the car after for an hours drive to Balaklava for another Stableford comp.
Very strange round this one as apart from the 3 hosel rocket chips the others were very good and the putter was on making a heap of up and down saves. Driver was either on or way off. The off were way off missing a long way wide both sides of the body. Made 2 pars and a birdie after recovering from positions I had no right hitting the recovery shots I did.
End result was a pair 16pt nines that seemed like very hard work.

Expensive day loosing a sleeve of new TP5’s between the 2 rounds.

Kelsey86
10th September 2022, 10:21 PM
Second round of club champs today. Started on 10 with a birdie, and that was about it. Made par on 14, and pretty much stuffed every other hole up to varying degrees. I hit plenty of fairways but approaches were largely rubbish. Almost holed a 15-20 metre putt for par on 7, it finished about 3 inches from the hole. 94/78 in the end.
Social club game at Virginia tomorrow morning.

3Puttpete
10th September 2022, 11:17 PM
38 points in the single and 40 best ball. Thanks for your help Roy.

AndyP
11th September 2022, 11:40 AM
10/09/2022, Wolston Park GC (Scr 66 Sl 113 Par 67), Gold Tees, Club Champs Rd 2.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220911/e4da650bfbbb1f36d48f3c80c5d83e2d.jpg

Scoring: PPPBPBBBP BXPPBXPBB; 39:40:79 nett 72 (+4:+8:+12).
Played to 13.0. Golflink 8.5 (-0.0).
Current Champs Placings: Gross +19 for eq 15th. 25 shots back from the leader, but 4 behind 8th (seeded groups).

Considering how scratchy I am hitting my irons now (again), I'll take that score as a bad round, and be glad that it wasn't worse. It didn't help that for four of the five greens that I did hit, I had long putts and three putted three of them, which is unlike me. I might have to risk having an injury setback this week by heading to the range and improving my irons so I can hit more greens.

Kelsey86
11th September 2022, 02:20 PM
Social club at Virginia today and I went much better than yesterday. Ended up with 82/65, in the best ball we had 43 points, and I had 42 on my own. A lucky chip in birdie on our 5th hole, another on our 15th after a blind 188m 4 iron into the green, and the putt hung on the edge before deciding to fall in. For a lot of the round it felt like I couldn't miss a putt, making quite a few mid range par saves. At that point I was on track for my first ever sub 80 round, but double bogey on 16 and bogey on 17 meant I needed a hole in one on the final hole for a 79 😂
7 fairways, 2 greens, 25 putts (10 on the front 9). 64% up and downs.
I struck my irons quite well today but pulled a few of them left. I have a lesson in 2 weeks so hopefully will sort that out.

JoeS
11th September 2022, 08:25 PM
Ivo Whitton event at Mt Derrimut. My first golf Australia event, loved the course and hated the conditions. Strong winds and rain.
Stroke event 82/75.
Need a putting lesson

WBennett
12th September 2022, 09:25 AM
My golf game sucks and is getting worse, rapidly. I can't putt, I can't chip, I can't pitch. My driver is good, my woods are good, I am getting a groove with the irons.

But my inside 130m game stinks and I don't know how to fix it.

Its ok, only have the GL Open this weekend.

goughy
12th September 2022, 09:26 AM
First game back after rejoining! Auspicious start with a great drive on the first hole, to finish with two in the water, and 4 putts for a 10 :lol:
Plenty of rot continued from them, but had some great banter with my playing partners. Couldn't for the life of me work out why I was hitting so much shorter than usual? Could barely get my drives to 200mtrs, and my irons were nearly two full clubs short (hence water dunking on the first hole, I guess). I may consider myself the Corey Pavin of OzG, but this caught me out! Particularly because I was hitting them fine distance wise a few weeks ago at the Leon day! Plus was putting pretty well that day too, but had 39 putts yesterday, which is a lot considering I only hit 2 greens.
Could have been much worse though! Could have been at work.

chappy1970
12th September 2022, 11:39 AM
3rd game back after long lay-off coaching my daughters footy team.

First 2 rounds were character building. Played yesterday, course was still recovering after some rain, so was a little wet under foot in some sections.

Didn't feel like I hit the ball at all well, always appeared to be scrambling, but my putter was behaving so that saved me a lot.

Had 38 points, lost the A Grade comp on a count back. Happy with that

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

LeftyHoges
13th September 2022, 06:52 AM
A frustrating day out on course (what day isn't though) Saturday as I finally had a chance to post a decent righty score, but of course blew it by wiping 2 of the last 4 holes, finishing with 32 points.

Had a bad case of the hooks off the tee which cost me 4 penalty strokes with hazards / lost balls, and another 2 strokes by just being in a horrible position. Arccos tells me I drove it like a 27 'capper, which is probably generous.

The rest of the game was reasonably solid, and it's probably the best I've played short game wise, which is especially good considering there were no preferred lies, which I usually need to make decent chipping contact. The Texas Wedge worked really well for me.

1 birdie
5 pars
6 bogies
4 doubles
2 triples

4 fairways found
3 GIR
8/20 up n downs
28 putts

Righty cap moves out to 15.4, but I think this is my level for now. A better fitted driver and I should be on my way.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220912/59e48a34aadea024a26e8a1a4ae1de6b.jpg

goughy
13th September 2022, 08:11 AM
A sad state of affairs when you have a higher hc than me, for whatever reason, even playing one armed!

3Puttpete
13th September 2022, 09:28 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220912/3e9d53fce2fa9f7c06e34bc0978fc6de.jpg

chappy1970
13th September 2022, 12:00 PM
A frustrating day out on course (what day isn't though) Saturday as I finally had a chance to post a decent righty score, but of course blew it by wiping 2 of the last 4 holes, finishing with 32 points.

Had a bad case of the hooks off the tee which cost me 4 penalty strokes with hazards / lost balls, and another 2 strokes by just being in a horrible position. Arccos tells me I drove it like a 27 'capper, which is probably generous.

The rest of the game was reasonably solid, and it's probably the best I've played short game wise, which is especially good considering there were no preferred lies, which I usually need to make decent chipping contact. The Texas Wedge worked really well for me.

1 birdie
5 pars
6 bogies
4 doubles
2 triples

4 fairways found
3 GIR
8/20 up n downs
28 putts

Righty cap moves out to 15.4, but I think this is my level for now. A better fitted driver and I should be on my way.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220912/59e48a34aadea024a26e8a1a4ae1de6b.jpgOver achiever

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

LeftyHoges
13th September 2022, 06:38 PM
Over achiever

Sent from my SM-N976B using TapatalkWow. [emoji12]

JoeS
13th September 2022, 09:54 PM
Par comp today, and we all love that.
Finished -1 after a bogey on the last. Can't sink a decent putt.
77 OTS
1 BIRDIE

LeftyHoges
14th September 2022, 09:26 AM
Par comp today, and we all love that.
Finished -1 after a bogey on the last. Can't sink a decent putt.
77 OTS
1 BIRDIE

Sent from my SM-G960F using TapatalkPar is a great game, it's only idiots who think otherwise.

I WILL die on this hill.

JoeS
14th September 2022, 09:59 AM
Par is a great game, it's only idiots who think otherwise.

I WILL die on this hill.I agree, Par is the great equaliser. It is also the format that leaves no doubt the ability to scramble.

benno_r
14th September 2022, 01:12 PM
Par is a great game, it's only idiots who think otherwise.

I WILL die on this hill.I rate any golf game that starts me on the equivalent of 18 stableford points.

BobsYourUncle
14th September 2022, 01:16 PM
I rate any golf game that starts me on the equivalent of 18 stableford points. Par suits lower handicaps more. Higher markers tend to have more wipes that they make up for with 4 pointers. A low marker isn't making any/many 4 pointers, but isn't wiping either.

3Puttpete
14th September 2022, 01:25 PM
Par suits lower handicaps more. Higher markers tend to have more wipes that they make up for with 4 pointers. A low marker isn't making any/many 4 pointers, but isn't wiping either.

You reckon there are a lot of 4 pointers floating around?

LeftyHoges
14th September 2022, 02:59 PM
Par suits lower handicaps more. Higher markers tend to have more wipes that they make up for with 4 pointers. A low marker isn't making any/many 4 pointers, but isn't wiping either.

Wrong.

JoeS
14th September 2022, 08:15 PM
Par suits lower handicaps more. Higher markers tend to have more wipes that they make up for with 4 pointers. A low marker isn't making any/many 4 pointers, but isn't wiping either.Yesterday was won by a 23 handicap with +1.
Next best was 19 handicap with square. It suits those who can play and scramble to handicap. It sorts out those who give up because they can't scramble for a point.

BUSHY
15th September 2022, 02:34 PM
Finished my first round matchup in the A Grade Matchplay Champs.
Not in Arccos but I wish it was, was clearly the best I’ve hit the ball for a while if ever.

Played one of our juniors who plays off 1-2, really great match and we certainly carved it up a bit. Going to lay it out because its really a crazy round of golf.

Opened with a soft bogey after not getting up and down to go 1dn to a 20ft par putt from my guy.

1DN

Win with par on 2nd after he put his in the pi$$

AS

Halved 3rd with Birdies - I’ve hit my wedge to 6-8ft - he’s made another bomb.

Halved 4th with birdies - you kidding with this kids short game?

Won 5th with a chip in for par - he’s lipped out his par putt

1UP

Halved 6th with pars

He’s won 7th with a birdie from essentially kick in

AS

I’ve won 8th with a par

1UP

He’s won 9th with a 2 putt birdie

AS thru 9 - he’s made 4 birdies 3 bogies, I’ve made 2 birdies and 1 bogey.

He’s won 10th with a kick in birdie

1DN

I’ve won 11th with a birdie

AS

He’s won 12th with another birdie inside 10ft

1DN

I’ve won 13th with a par after he almost holed out his long putt for par.

AS

Halved the 14th when i lipped out my birdie putt and he got up and down from the sand.

AS

Win the 15th with a kick in birdie

1UP

From here we ran out of light- agreed to come back the next day (yesterday) to finish.

Starting fresh he’s almost holed his 2nd on 16th, gimme birdie and i didnt make mine.

AS

I’ve stiffed it on 17th, he misses from 25ft and I make from <5ft

1UP

Coming to the last I know its an easier birdie hole for him especially the way he’s firing at the flag so i just took 5w and put it in the middle, the young fella in him takes driver and ever so slightly pushed it up the right into a side hill/down hill lie in the rough -I’m perfect 109m out in the centre right half of the fairway.

I go first and hit it to 3ft. [emoji3060]

He hits it to 15ft and doesnt get it up the hill for his bird and concedes mine.

Finish 2UP.

I make that 4 birdies and no bogies on the back for me, he’s added another 2 birdies with 2 matching bogies.

All up he’s had 6 birdies and 5 bogies, I’ve had 6 birdies and a single bogey on the opening hole.

WHOOSHKA!!!

Play the Club Champ next.

AndyP
16th September 2022, 07:08 AM
Well done and good luck, Bushy.

Dcanto
16th September 2022, 02:14 PM
Good luck with the next match, Bushy.

JoeS
17th September 2022, 06:04 PM
Well done Bushy, excellent golf by the 2 of you.

JoeS
17th September 2022, 06:10 PM
Played in Presidents plate round today, rain, more rain, then it rained some more. And it was windy, and wet, and the greens were starting to hold water. I was going ok thru 9, had 16 points and could have been better. At the turn I knew I had to work on keeping everything dry, and maybe grab another towel from the ute. Started the back with 2 birds, and had a solid 1 under back 9
38 points
4 birdies
1 wipe
And here I was thinking I may have won A grade, which was decided on a count back with 2 players returning 41 points.
But hitting a 4 over par is always
Good golf

AndyP
18th September 2022, 10:17 AM
17/09/2022, Wolston Park GC (Scr 66 Sl 113 Par 67), Gold Tees, Club Champs Rd 3.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220918/57d819b8223bdcfb1116eb8762365197.jpg

Scoring: BPBPPBBPP PPXPPPPBP; 39:35:74 nett 67 (+4:+3:+7).
Played to 8.0. Golflink 8.2 (-0.3)
Current Champs Placings (Rds 3 of 4): Gross +26 for 11th up from 15th last week. 35 shots back from the leader. Highest handicap ahead of me is 3.2, so that makes my position look pretty good.
Matchplay Qualifier Placing (Rd 1 of 2): 12th with 16 to qualify. Two shots clear of the cut line.

Finally got in a couple of practice sessions during the week to improve the iron striking. It was definitely better yesterday, but I'll get out there again this week to try to make it more reliable. Driver was inconsistent, but not too hurtful. The putter was great, and I missed nothing inside 2m, including a couple of clutch putts in the closing holes.

Not a single birdie in my 3 rounds so far, which is more bemusing than frustrating. It's probably a combination of a lack of greens hit, and tougher pin positions.

I've looked at my previous Champs results from 10 years ago, and I'm ahead of those, and they both had ordinary finishing rounds, so I'd like to finish this one with a solid, if not good score.

Kelsey86
19th September 2022, 07:09 AM
Played an aggregate Stableford at Oxley on Saturday, best 3 out of 4 scores. We ended up with 117 points, I had 34 for my round. It should have been better, I shot +3 on the front 9 for 22 points, 7/9 greens hit but couldn't quite get the putts to drop. Then the back 9 was the complete opposite with a couple of wipes and only hit the 18th green. 39 putts all up which was disappointing.

Yesterday was a social club game at Redcliffe and I shot exactly the same score of 88 (71 nett). Only hit one green the whole round but most that were regulation chances were only off by a metre or two. The short game was much better this time, with 28 putts and two chip ins.
Next round on Thursday.

BUSHY
19th September 2022, 07:32 PM
Well done and good luck, Bushy.

Good luck with the next match, Bushy.

Well done Bushy, excellent golf by the 2 of you.

Yeah thanks guys. Love matchplay.

backintheswing
19th September 2022, 08:19 PM
I played my club matchplay from the club champs yesterday. I finished 3rd in champs so played no.6. Started with a birdie and another on 6 and was 5 up at the turn, and my opponent gave me the match and walked off. Into the final 4 and play the winner of 2 and 7.

AndyP
20th September 2022, 06:43 AM
I played my club matchplay from the club champs yesterday. I finished 3rd in champs so played no.6. Started with a birdie and another on 6 and was 5 up at the turn, and my opponent gave me the match and walked off. Into the final 4 and play the winner of 2 and 7.
Well done, BITS. That's some real grit shown by your opponent.

BUSHY
20th September 2022, 12:23 PM

Kapow!!

You have top 8 for the Matchplay then?

backintheswing
20th September 2022, 01:20 PM
Kapow!!

You have top 8 for the Matchplay then?Yes

BobsYourUncle
21st September 2022, 11:00 AM
A few rounds to report.

Saturday, 2nd round club champs at Sandy Gallop (10th tee start):
PBPBbBPPP-PPBBXBPPB 79/77
Struggled, but kept things respectable until a triple on the 5th (my 14th). Puts me back to 7th with 2 rounds to go.

Sunday, Stableford at Brookwater
PPPBPPbbX-PPPPPBBXP 75/38pts
Didn't expect much after how I played on Saturday, but actually played really well. A mix of bad decisions, bad shots and bad luck cost me a really good round at the end.

Wednesday, Stableford at Sandy Gallop
BPPbBPBPb-PPPPBbbPP 70/38pts
This could've been low. Burned the edge for eagle on 9, lipped out birdie putts on 11 and 18, and some close calls on a few more. The lip-out on 18 hurt, I thought I'd made it for an under-par round.

AndyP
21st September 2022, 11:12 AM
A couple of nice scores there, BYU. Well done!

BUSHY
21st September 2022, 12:39 PM
Yeah thats some good follow up golf.

WBennett
21st September 2022, 03:54 PM
After getting bashed in the Open, Wednesday comp. Pins were in the same spots, greens were a foot slower so only running at 12, and there was about 40kmh less wind.

35 points lipping out on 4 of the last 5 from inside 12 foot.

The only other difference? I went back to my old Mizuno's and the world was far brighter!

JoeS
21st September 2022, 07:03 PM
Played an aggregate Stableford at Oxley on Saturday, best 3 out of 4 scores. We ended up with 117 points, I had 34 for my round. It should have been better, I shot +3 on the front 9 for 22 points, 7/9 greens hit but couldn't quite get the putts to drop. Then the back 9 was the complete opposite with a couple of wipes and only hit the 18th green. 39 putts all up which was disappointing.

Yesterday was a social club game at Redcliffe and I shot exactly the same score of 88 (71 nett). Only hit one green the whole round but most that were regulation chances were only off by a metre or two. The short game was much better this time, with 28 putts and two chip ins.
Next round on Thursday.Redcliffe was my home club as a junior. My best mate Paul had a golfing dad, his name was Denis Brosnan. We would caddy for him and his mates sometimes after playing juniors

JoeS
21st September 2022, 07:08 PM
I played my club matchplay from the club champs yesterday. I finished 3rd in champs so played no.6. Started with a birdie and another on 6 and was 5 up at the turn, and my opponent gave me the match and walked off. Into the final 4 and play the winner of 2 and 7.Respect

Dcanto
22nd September 2022, 12:02 PM
Played in the Thursday Stableford comp at Half Moon Bay. Today was off the shortened red course instead of the usual white tees (par 68 instead of par 70).
Managed to shoot 39 points with only one wipe. Best I have hit the ball in a while.

backintheswing
22nd September 2022, 02:47 PM
Pioneer Valley vets open today , jagged the win with a 3 over.

WBennett
22nd September 2022, 07:18 PM
Played in the Thursday Stableford comp at Half Moon Bay. Today was off the shortened red course instead of the usual white tees (par 68 instead of par 70).Managed to shoot 39 points with only one wipe. Best I have hit the ball in a while. Playa!

WBennett
22nd September 2022, 07:20 PM
Went up the highway to Goulburn today.
Off 7, made a dumb wipe on 3 with a 3 putt from 4 5 foot above the hole and turned with 16.

Birdied 10, 12 and 16, threw a four putt wipe in on 14 to a diabolical pin, and finished with 16/21-37.

Could have easily been 40 points and 74 off the stick, but happy with 77.

Dcanto
22nd September 2022, 07:44 PM
Playa! Thanks. Was good to hit them somewhere closer to the middle again. Sounds like you're getting your mojo back too. Well done.

3Puttpete
22nd September 2022, 07:45 PM
Paid 93 (rounded down) cents a shot at Kooralbyn. MtB paid $1.38.

Kelsey86
22nd September 2022, 08:06 PM
Was meant to be a comp at Oxley today but pretty much everyone in it wimped out. I just went for a practice bash around by myself in the end since I was already there and the rain had stopped. Had about half a dozen mulligans but hit it mostly straight for a change. Approaches were fun with the softer greens.

Kelsey86
24th September 2022, 03:43 PM
Blue markers Stableford at Oxley today. Ended up with 38 points, 19 apiece for each 9. I playtested another driver, this time TSi3 with 70g HZRDUS smoke black RDX 6.5 shaft, hit it much better than last week's TSi2 with tensei blue 55g s flex. This one felt lighter to swing and easier to control the direction, I also hit it further, and preferred the look of the head at address. I only hit one bad snap hook with it on the final hole.
Hit 10/14 fairways, only 2 greens but the short game was working well making plenty of up and downs. I mainly missed the greens short but on the right line so wasn't swinging too badly. 29 putts.

Dazza
25th September 2022, 12:28 PM
White tee challenge at Alice Springs this morning.
Wind was absolutely howling.
Took 9 holes to warm up, but came good with 22 points on the back.

goughy
25th September 2022, 01:15 PM
All things considered, I'll take the 25pts. Short game was expensive. The rest wasn't too bad, considering. Few fat shots getting my ball position sorted. Putting sucked. It'll get there.

Hatchman
25th September 2022, 01:41 PM
Stableford @ Balaklava
Greens were cored 2 weeks ago and hadn't been mown in the morning before Saturday comp like usual so they were hairy like a 70's centrefold.
Started with a great drive to the perfect position biting a piece of the dogleg off on the par 4 first. Poor 9iron in short right followed up by a poor chip to the heavily sanded green to set up a very poor bogey start. Scored 1 point over the next 4 holes set up by huge misses off the tee with 2 OOB and blocked out from playable shots (getting the ball in play often enough starting to become a real issue).
Steadied the ship a little with a great low bullet driver recovery second shot on 7 for 3pt par after leaving birdie putt short dead in the heart. 3 Jiggled the par 3 8th from just off the edge.

From here my game and ball striking dramatically changed. For weeks I've been struggling with my top half and bottom half not working together. The problem being worse with the driver than any other shot. Despite trying for weeks to get the feeling of the left hip starting my takeaway it's been the shoulders starting everything which sets up my poor driving and inconstant contact. Finally got the left hip to start things off resulting in the middle of the driver and fairway being found. The feel and pure contact continued from tee to green setting up a series of regulation pars and a few narrowly missed birdie chances 6 holes in a row. Stumbled on holes 15 and 16 making poor bogeys due to vey poor chip shots where I would normally get up and down 4/5 times. Narrowly missed birdie from 10 foot on 17 and made birdie from 8 foot on 18 to finish the back nine 1 over the card.
Ended up 3rd in A Grade with 32pts (12-20).
Got NTP for 2 on 13 (8 foot, 2 inches inside the previous) and 17 (10 foot, no one else had hit the green)
Dropped my 2nd best flag and went out 0.6 and back to double digits GA \\:D/

bdoug10
25th September 2022, 03:59 PM
Last round of champs Saturday played best round of the 4 with a solid 80. Good enough to finish 5th for the champs in B grade.
Have now qualified for match play so that should be fun

Kelsey86
25th September 2022, 05:20 PM
30 points today after I had a lesson beforehand and made a small change to my setup position in regard to shaft lean. It needed to be further forward than I was setting up. Didn't hit my irons as consistent as I'd like but when I did make good contact bugger me they were nice shots. I will practice and get used to this change like the rest of them however. Driver went well again though and I have now bought it, I hit 8 fairways but the misses were still in good position except on 8 I when was half behind a tree after the 3 wood tee shot went straight instead of drawing.
Short game and putting decided to have the day off unfortunately 😂

3Puttpete
25th September 2022, 06:16 PM
An honest 36 yesterday. Played the par 3s in even which is a sign I hit some decent irons.

AndyP
25th September 2022, 06:26 PM
22/09/2022, Kooralbyn Valley GC (Scr 75 Sl 140 Par 72) :shock:, Black Tees, Copperhead Challenge.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220925/fadbaaa58051fc5f7f224e022c3ecee1.jpg

Scoring: BBPBBBXXX PXXPBXPBP; 47:49:96 nett 84 (+11:+13:+24).
Gross Diff of 13.7. Golflink 8.2 (-0.0)

The course was tough, and really tested me for distance, especially with casual water everywhere, but it was my game that let me down, and the course took advantage.

Started the round with solid hitting, but just missing greens, so I was on a bit of a bogey train. I thought if I could hit the irons a bit cleaner, I might string together some pars, instead it fell apart and my scorecard got trashed through the middle of the round. Improved it a bit at the end of the round, to add some respectability. Driver was very good, irons ordinary, pitching terrible, and putting was disappointing; maybe I'm a home course hero with my putter.

BobsYourUncle
25th September 2022, 06:28 PM
I really want to play Kooralbyn. How long is it from the back tees?

Kelsey86
25th September 2022, 06:34 PM
I raised the bat there last December in that event, tough track.

AndyP
25th September 2022, 06:47 PM
I really want to play Kooralbyn. How long is it from the back tees?
I'm not sure. The website (https://thekooralbynvalley.com.au/golf2/) states 6,471m, but that doesn't seem right. I know that 14 was longer than 160m.

I raised the bat there last December in that event, tough track.
I might have too. I did actually pick up on a hole after a few attempts to get out of the long grass/trees, so we marked it as a 10 for my card, but there was the potential for it to be more. It was certainly punishing if you had a big miss.

3Puttpete
25th September 2022, 06:59 PM
I'm not sure. The website (https://thekooralbynvalley.com.au/golf2/) states 6,471m, but that doesn't seem right. I know that 14 was longer than 160m.

I might have too. I did actually pick up on a hole after a few attempts to get out of the long grass/trees, so we marked it as a 10 for my card, but there was the potential for it to be more. It was certainly punishing if you had a big miss.

14 was 180ish?

WBennett
25th September 2022, 07:11 PM
Five days, 5 comp rounds.

Wednesday 35 at GLGC. 3rd in A Grade.
Thursday 37 at Goulburn. 4th overall
Friday 31 at Yowani on cored greens
Saturday 31 at GLGC. Won a ball.
Sunday 30 at GLGC. Could barely move.

Got worse as the week went on, but that's the first time in a long time I have played 5 in 5 days.

Considering how crook I was in July, it was great to be able to get out there and do it.

Kelsey86
25th September 2022, 08:03 PM
I'm not sure. The website (https://thekooralbynvalley.com.au/golf2/) states 6,471m, but that doesn't seem right. I know that 14 was longer than 160m. I might have too. I did actually pick up on a hole after a few attempts to get out of the long grass/trees, so we marked it as a 10 for my card, but there was the potential for it to be more. It was certainly punishing if you had a big miss. Not wrong, when I played it it was punishing a metre off the fairway on a number of holes 😂I might do a bit better now that my swing has improved but I'm not in any rush to get back there.

AndyP
25th September 2022, 08:14 PM
14 was 180ish?
Maybe even 190m. I felt I had to give my hybrid a little extra, and it is a 180-ish club, but that might have been because of the front bunker (as opposed to the left bunker and the back bunker.....).

Sookie1
25th September 2022, 09:13 PM
We had pennant at home today. Day was called off early when we lost one of our fellow players from another club to a heart attack on the first hole. Puts shit into perspective.

3Puttpete
25th September 2022, 09:40 PM
Maybe even 190m. I felt I had to give my hybrid a little extra, and it is a 180-ish club, but that might have been because of the front bunker (as opposed to the left bunker and the back bunker.....).

That back bunker is tricky. Putts tend to lip out from there.

AndyP
25th September 2022, 10:28 PM
That back bunker is tricky. Putts tend to lip out from there.Don't blame the bunker for your poor read.

markTHEblake
25th September 2022, 10:59 PM
I'm not sure. The website (https://thekooralbynvalley.com.au/golf2/) states 6,471m, but that doesn't seem right. I know that 14 was longer than 160m. Website definitely is wrong, 1 and 18 still the former configuration of 5 and a 4 respectively ( with that terrible 18th hole to the curent practice green This scorecard seems right, which makes it 6400 metres.
https://www.mscorecard.com/mscorecard/showcourse.php?cid=141519557859094438 So not the longest around here. Most of the Gold coast swamps are around 6500, with Royal Pines over 6700
I did actually pick up on a hole after a few attempts to get out of the long grass/trees, so we marked it as a 10 for my card, but there was the potential for it to be more. No comment. I had a 15 recently and i was in much less trouble than you (and no penalties)

LeftyHoges
26th September 2022, 11:18 AM
I really want to play Kooralbyn.

No you don't.

BUSHY
26th September 2022, 12:54 PM
A bit of golf over the Loooong weekend. Finished up Saturday with a solid round statistically and a good comeback after an average front side.

Went out in +4 with two early cheap bogies and double on 8. Started the back with another two soft-ass cheap bogies.

However from there it was solid golf, didn’t miss a fairway and hit all but 2 greens (made a sand save par on both). Even though we we’re already dominating I finished birdie/ birdie to put 20 units on our opponents[emoji482]

Statistically it was the best putting round I can recall, looking forward to the Pennant Season and round 2 of the Matchplay.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220926/a420cbeeadda9ce0bce0d9f9ad5261ad.png

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220926/6e2c4778ebb36a93428cd0766cdc22e3.jpg

LeftyHoges
26th September 2022, 10:31 PM
Up to Mirage in Port Douglas last Friday for the Navy Day, first round in 4 weeks.

Started solidly with a couple of pars, and a two-putt birdie on the third. Double-bogied (compulsory 3-jiggle) my nemesis hole after being in some shitty ground torn up by Magpie Geese, but wasn't technically in any indentation etc, just horrible loose ground with leaves and dirt. Didn't help that there were a billion green ants and I hate those little ****ers so didn't settle properly on the shot. My own fault though, should've been able to get it out of there better than I did.

Birdie on 7 with a hooked sand wedge around the fairway tree, before back-to-back horseshoes on 8 and 9 for bogies saw a tirade of fury, and a hefty putter wocka. Very therapeutic. Much needed.

A laced 4-wood on 10 from 225m to 12 feet set up an eagle chance, before lipping in the 4 foot birdie putt. Yep, you read correct and that 4 feet wasn't from behind or beside the hole either..

Couple of par saves from horrible drives on 11&12, then back-to-back birdies on 14 and 15 got me back to red figures.

A punched 20m cut 5 iron from 145 out on 17 damn near went in the hole to set up kick-in bird, and a nervy 2 footer on 18 for par saw my first under par round since.... the last time I played at Mirage. Reckon I should've moved to Port Dougy instead!

Shot 70 (2 red) hitting it off the tee like a phuckwit and putting even worse, still genuinely don't know how I did it.

Vital stats;
6 birdies
9 pars
2 bogies
1 double
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220926/54cf571c3996307766474af863ddfb20.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220926/8a212ec93723647393d38ef85c757ff0.jpg

Dcanto
26th September 2022, 10:46 PM
Up to Mirage in Port Douglas last Friday for the Navy Day, first round in 4 weeks. Started solidly with a couple of pars, and a two-putt birdie on the third. Double-bogied (compulsory 3-jiggle) my nemesis hole after being in some shitty ground torn up by Magpie Geese, but wasn't technically in any indentation etc, just horrible loose ground with leaves and dirt. Didn't help that there were a billion green ants and I hate those little ****ers so didn't settle properly on the shot. My own fault though, should've been able to get it out of there better than I did.Birdie on 7 with a hooked sand wedge around the fairway tree, before back-to-back horseshoes on 8 and 9 for bogies saw a tirade of fury, and a hefty putter wocka. Very therapeutic. Much needed.A laced 4-wood on 10 from 225m to 12 feet set up an eagle chance, before lipping in the 4 foot birdie putt. Yep, you read correct and that 4 feet wasn't from behind or beside the hole either..Couple of par saves from horrible drives on 11&12, then back-to-back birdies on 14 and 15 got me back to red figures.A punched 20m cut 5 iron from 145 out on 17 damn near went in the hole to set up kick-in bird, and a nervy 2 footer on 18 for par saw my first under par round since.... the last time I played at Mirage. Reckon I should've moved to Port Dougy instead!Shot 70 (2 red) hitting it off the tee like a phuckwit and putting even worse, still genuinely don't know how I did it.Vital stats;6 birdies9 pars2 bogies1 doublehttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220926/54cf571c3996307766474af863ddfb20.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220926/8a212ec93723647393d38ef85c757ff0.jpg Well done, Nick. I hope you got the win and didn't get knocked off by a burglar

LeftyHoges
27th September 2022, 06:58 AM
Well done, Nick. I hope you got the win and didn't get knocked off by a burglar

A 4 'capper had 2 over for 38 points, then daylight... So winner winner!!!

3Puttpete
27th September 2022, 08:06 AM
Up to Mirage in Port Douglas last Friday for the Navy Day, first round in 4 weeks.

Started solidly with a couple of pars, and a two-putt birdie on the third. Double-bogied (compulsory 3-jiggle) my nemesis hole after being in some shitty ground torn up by Magpie Geese, but wasn't technically in any indentation etc, just horrible loose ground with leaves and dirt. Didn't help that there were a billion green ants and I hate those little ****ers so didn't settle properly on the shot. My own fault though, should've been able to get it out of there better than I did.

Birdie on 7 with a hooked sand wedge around the fairway tree, before back-to-back horseshoes on 8 and 9 for bogies saw a tirade of fury, and a hefty putter wocka. Very therapeutic. Much needed.

A laced 4-wood on 10 from 225m to 12 feet set up an eagle chance, before lipping in the 4 foot birdie putt. Yep, you read correct and that 4 feet wasn't from behind or beside the hole either..

Couple of par saves from horrible drives on 11&12, then back-to-back birdies on 14 and 15 got me back to red figures.

A punched 20m cut 5 iron from 145 out on 17 damn near went in the hole to set up kick-in bird, and a nervy 2 footer on 18 for par saw my first under par round since.... the last time I played at Mirage. Reckon I should've moved to Port Dougy instead!

Shot 70 (2 red) hitting it off the tee like a phuckwit and putting even worse, still genuinely don't know how I did it.

Vital stats;
6 birdies
9 pars
2 bogies
1 double

You hit a 12 foot eagle putt 8 feet?

Even I’ve never done that.

benno_r
27th September 2022, 08:48 AM

Even I’ve never done that.Probably better than hitting a 3ft eagle putt 8ft. **apparently**

LeftyHoges
27th September 2022, 12:52 PM

I'm my own kind of stupid braindead moron retard herpaderp special.

Courty
27th September 2022, 04:54 PM
I'm my own kind of stupid braindead moron retard herpaderp special.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BreakableOrdinaryGorilla.webp

JoeS
27th September 2022, 08:48 PM
King Of The Hills last Friday, 27 hole event shotgun start. We were playing for best team, I was just trying to stick to handicap.
We came second in the teams event down 2 shots
I shot 116/107 to be 1 over handicap.
Double bogey on our 26th(17th) was just lazy. 7 shots behind best gross. It was a great day

Hatchman
28th September 2022, 09:29 AM

Vital stats;
6 birdies
9 pars
2 bogies
1 double

Putts gone forward and more than half way so that's a massive win :)

BobsYourUncle
28th September 2022, 10:15 AM
Day out at Sandy Gallop.

PPPPPePPb-PBPPPPbPb 66/42pts

Eagle on 6 got me going - 235m 3 wood to 8 feet. Had a few other good looks too, but I'm not going to whinge about them :)

PeteyD
28th September 2022, 10:35 AM
According to https://offcourse.co/courses/scorecard/kooralbyn Kooralbyn champs tee is 6991m.

AndyP
28th September 2022, 11:32 AM
Day out at Sandy Gallop.

Eagle on 6 got me going - 235m 3 wood to 8 feet. Had a few other good looks too, but I'm not going to whinge about them :)
Fantastic scoring, Ian. Congratulations!

3Puttpete
28th September 2022, 12:29 PM
Day out at Sandy Gallop.

Giddy up

AndyP
1st October 2022, 03:19 PM
24/09/2022, Wolston Park GC (Scr 66 Sl 113 Par 67), Gold Tees, Club Champs Rd 4.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221001/dc41a88b48d802a53b1dc0efb492752c.jpg

Scoring: PBPPPBBXP BBBPPBPXP; 39:38:77 nett 70 (+4:+6:+10).
Played to 11.0. Golflink 8.3 (+0.1)
Current Champs Placings (Rds 4 of 4): Gross +36 (+7;+12;+7;+10) to stay in 11th place. Four solid rounds, without a great one. Highest handicap ahead of me was 4.5.
Matchplay Qualifier Placing (Rd 2 of 2): 15th (eq 12th) best score across the two rounds, but qualified in 13th. My reward for qualifying is to play 4th place, who is a +2 marker. One shot or one place better and my opponent would be a 2 or 3 marker.

Just another okay round last weekend, with a couple of blowout holes. One from being up against the wall of a bunker, and the other a three putt on a dodgy green. Despite what Arccos says, the driver wasn't that good, and required a few recovery shots; not that irons were great either, but they did show glimpses. Putting kept the score under control, as I didn't miss a putt within two metres.