PDA

View Full Version : Pacific GC

leighthebee
10th October 2006, 02:10 AM
AndyP: Discussion moved from Stoney v AndyP thread on Pacific GC.

-----------------------------

Quite frankly the course was a disgrace.

Firstly they charged us $40 to play.

Secondly only about half the tees were back.

Thirdly most of the pins were cut at the back of the greens on the most worn areas.

It will be a long time before I play that Goat track again
In what way was it a disgrace. Having played there over the past few weeks I see no issues warranting a "disgraceful" tag.

Goat track. What an unnecessary little diatribe this is.

PeteyD
10th October 2006, 07:56 AM
I think the main objection is being charged full green fees on comp days. Most places discount, and charge 50% plus the comp fee.

$40 seems fairly rich to play pacific as members guests on a comp day.

AndyP
10th October 2006, 08:13 AM
$40 seems fairly rich to play pacific as members guests on a comp day.
We weren't members guests, just visitors, but it's still too much.
The course just isn't that good.

PeteyD
10th October 2006, 08:23 AM
ah thought you were with Dave. I played with him on Ekka wednesday and paid that, along with the fact the comp was off the whites. Despite the fact that I enjoed the golf and playing with the guys I played with, the cost left me feeling pretty negative about playing Pacific again.

leighthebee
10th October 2006, 01:14 PM
guess thats where we'll differ. i don't know a better track in Brisbane.

PeteyD
10th October 2006, 01:19 PM
DC is a pacific stallwart. See his comments. I like the course. Just like at least a few others have issues with the pro shop.

terryand
10th October 2006, 05:02 PM
guess thats where we'll differ. i don't know a better track in Brisbane.

You obviously don't get out much :-s

Terry.

leighthebee
10th October 2006, 05:54 PM
yes i do. i play more than the average player.

thats a real constructive comment

terryand
10th October 2006, 06:07 PM
yes i do. i play more than the average player.

thats a real constructive comment

Well then if you get out that much you must play other courses with your eyes shut.

I am inerested (as I would presume Moe is too) how you can rate Pacific above all other course around Brisbane.

It would have to be one of the worst courses in Brisbane after rain for starters,last time I played it the fairways were full of weeds and the greens were nothing to write home about.

3oneday
10th October 2006, 06:31 PM
Well that prompted a strong response it seems :confused: an employee ?? the GM maybe ?? The greenkeeper ? any guess anyone :)

Jarro
10th October 2006, 06:49 PM
just an enthusiastic member who feels his course is being dished upon.

A perfectly normal response i'd say.

Moe Norman
10th October 2006, 09:13 PM
hey leigh the bee - are the pull buggies gold plated as well?

the cost to hire one of them at Pacific is more than the green fee should be.

Moe Norman
10th October 2006, 09:13 PM
Edit: double post.

PS: love the course, that strategic tree on 12 is a real feature!

dc68
11th October 2006, 08:34 AM
Hmmmmmm LTB I dont agree about Pacific being the best course in Brissy but no way is it a goat track or in disgracful condition.I would rate it in the top 5. The boys here have had some problems with the staff in the proshop on occasions, personally I have never had a problem with them. Everyone is entitled to their view. Dont let em get to you, i don't.

Stoney
11th October 2006, 09:39 AM
Personal opinion. I have never liked the course and the day we played the course it was in poor condition.

$40 for a game there is poor and the way the treat visitors has never been good.

Don't take it personally Leigh, you will find that most perople that are not members at Pacific do not like the course.

leighthebee
11th October 2006, 03:00 PM
Well then if you get out that much you must play other courses with your eyes shut.

I am inerested (as I would presume Moe is too) how you can rate Pacific above all other course around Brisbane.

It would have to be one of the worst courses in Brisbane after rain for starters,last time I played it the fairways were full of weeds and the greens were nothing to write home about.

please name a course in Brisbane that is better. generally I base my thoughts on course layout, condition and return on fees paid. i am not including those like Brooky which I consider outside Brisbane. also, I'd be pretty hesitant to attack a course over its condition. None are getting there optimum amount of water due to the water crisis so each are managing the best they can.

indro would be the only one that gives it a run, obviously the west, but its future is uncertain with development hanging over its head. it would be a real shame and a detriment to lose 36 holes there.

brisbane is disappointing and had probably the best hole on the course taken from its layout. dollars for return here is just screwy.

RQ. Flat and uninteresting. No doubt the weakest "Royal" in Australia.

leighthebee
11th October 2006, 03:02 PM
Well that prompted a strong response it seems :confused: an employee ?? the GM maybe ?? The greenkeeper ? any guess anyone :)

nope and haven't even been a member that long either. i was from Redland Bay.

leighthebee
11th October 2006, 03:03 PM
Edit: double post.

PS: love the course, that strategic tree on 12 is a real feature!

poor course management issues Moe? is that your only gripe along with the buggies.

BrisVegas
11th October 2006, 03:04 PM
fair enough. nice comeback. I can't argue with you. I like Wynnum as much as anywhere, so my cred is shot straight away. It makes me feel good and I enjoy playing it.

I don't enjoy playing Pacific for various reasons, but you're possibly right. On architectural merit, maybe it's up there. I wouldn't know.

I actually agree with you about RQ, fwiw, I wasn't too impressed with it. But I only played it once. Maybe I missed something.

leighthebee
11th October 2006, 03:08 PM
Wynnum's a great track for the land they have to work with. A little short but it has its niche. It also has great support too from a large company in the area, which helps it condition wise.

after playing in the country week over the course of a week we played Pacific, Brisbane, Nudgee and Wynnum, it was probably in the best nick of all of them.

leighthebee
11th October 2006, 03:15 PM
Hmmmmmm LTB I dont agree about Pacific being the best course in Brissy but no way is it a goat track or in disgracful condition.I would rate it in the top 5. The boys here have had some problems with the staff in the proshop on occasions, personally I have never had a problem with them. Everyone is entitled to their view. Dont let em get to you, i don't.

hey each to their own. i'm always interested in other peoples views and like a lively debate.

i believe theres too many people in the proshop so its fairly impersonal, yet i have never had problems with them aside from being less than friendly, but hey its retail. i get sick of dealing with customers too.

leighthebee
11th October 2006, 03:20 PM
Personal opinion. I have never liked the course and the day we played the course it was in poor condition.

$40 for a game there is poor and the way the treat visitors has never been good.

Don't take it personally Leigh, you will find that most perople that are not members at Pacific do not like the course.

i don't take much personally Stoney, I certainly don't have any "home team" issues as I haven't been there that long myself.

i think they treat everyone a little shabbily there to be honest, be they members or guests. i have a mate who's a corporate member at Hope who refuses to play there because he has issues with management and he lives 2 minutes from the place.

it just seems that Pacific has this bad rap about being unfriendly and some other issues which seem blown out of proportion and somewhat unjustified.

AndyP
11th October 2006, 03:36 PM
please name a course in Brisbane that is better. generally I base my thoughts on course layout, condition and return on fees paid.
Three open comps on Friday: Pacific $40, Nudgee $20, Wynnum $15.

I don't think I am going to enjoy Pacific twice as much as the other two courses.

it just seems that Pacific has this bad rap about being unfriendly and some other issues which seem blown out of proportion and somewhat unjustified.
Choppa and I played with a couple at Nambour on Sunday and we were talking about Brisbane courses afterwards. Pacific was mentioned, and without any prompting they didn't speak kindly of it.
They had to get a bad rap for a reason. A lot of other clubs don't seem to have it.

leighthebee
11th October 2006, 03:47 PM
Three open comps on Friday: Pacific $40, Nudgee $20, Wynnum $15.

I don't think I am going to enjoy Pacific twice as much as the other two courses.

Choppa and I played with a couple at Nambour on Sunday and we were talking about Brisbane courses afterwards. Pacific was mentioned, and without any prompting they didn't speak kindly of it.
They had to get a bad rap for a reason. A lot of other clubs don't seem to have it.

did you enjoy Pacific Harbour twice as much. well probably need to be three times as much if you count the cost of getting there.

i would consider Pacific twice as hard as Nudgee and Wynnum.

but its all relative and judgements being based on different variables.

as for thr Nambouree's. this is exactly my point! a bad rap and no reasons. for all we know and going from what you have said, they may just not like it because someone told them it wasn't good.

if theres a valid reason, by all means, but so often when prompted, its less tangible than straightforward.

Moe Norman
11th October 2006, 03:57 PM
RQ was ordinary - its recently been renovated and looks great. Some good strategic golf in the gorund there now.

Indro will still be 36 holes once the development is done, the East course has the better holes there anyway, but agree the West as an 18 is better.

Brisbane has some good stuff and some downright offensive stuff, but is still well ahead of Pacific.

poor course management issues Moe? Nope, poor course maintenance issues. That tree should not be there and I doubt the designer intended it to have such impact on the strategy of the hole.

I'll go hole by hole if you like, focusing on the bad. 1st has a forced layup. 2nd they have bunkered the inside of the dogleg correctly but there is no reward for flying them due to the maintenance of the fairway. 3rd green is uninteresting for a short hole. 5 has another forced layup on a 400m+ Par 4. I could go on...shall I?

AndyP
11th October 2006, 03:59 PM
The Nambouree's had a bad experience there, I can't recall the exact reason.

I'd be interested to see your Brisbane top 10, ltb.
http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2715

dc68
11th October 2006, 04:00 PM
Mate don't get me wrong I have been a member there for about 19 years I love the joint. I can see where people get peeved with the shop but NOT where they can put shit on the course itself. Sometime there are condition issues (bare patches, bunkers) but not fairways or greens at the moment, they are the best they have been for a while.

We should catch up for a game. When do you normally play?

leighthebee
11th October 2006, 04:31 PM
RQ was ordinary - its recently been renovated and looks great. Some good strategic golf in the gorund there now.

Indro will still be 36 holes once the development is done, the East course has the better holes there anyway, but agree the West as an 18 is better.

Brisbane has some good stuff and some downright offensive stuff, but is still well ahead of Pacific.

Nope, poor course maintenance issues. That tree should not be there and I doubt the designer intended it to have such impact on the strategy of the hole.

I'll go hole by hole if you like, focusing on the bad. 1st has a forced layup. 2nd they have bunkered the inside of the dogleg correctly but there is no reward for flying them due to the maintenance of the fairway. 3rd green is uninteresting for a short hole. 5 has another forced layup on a 400m+ Par 4. I could go on...shall I?

mate feel free. whats wrong with a forced layup.

flying the pots on the left of 2, well thats a risk you take knowing the course. is it something you would recommend to someone who has never played the course.

third hole has always been positively remarked upon with those who I've played with. up the back right and your anywhere else on the green and you don't call that interesting

5 is a great hole. i like it for the reasons you don't

you are right we could go on, but as Andy said the thread has gotten a little ot. we shall just have to agree to disagree. i do find it interesting that reasons you are unhappy with the layout are exactly reasons why I like it.

golf is mad.

leighthebee
11th October 2006, 04:33 PM
The Nambouree's had a bad experience there, I can't recall the exact reason.

I'd be interested to see your Brisbane top 10, ltb.
http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2715
i'll put some though into it. getting out to 10 might find me a little weak and making up numbers.

goughy
11th October 2006, 05:57 PM
I've only played pacific once, and had a great time, even tho I struggled like all get up. Didn't spend much time in the pro shop either.

But if I remember correctly we only paid $20 that day for the open comp. $40 would have scared me off. But I'm a tight arse who hasn't paid more than about $30bucks for a game of golf ever, so who am I to say.

I'm also no judge of golf courses. I think City is fantastic, so what does that say :o . Give me a goat track with 18 holes dug in the ground.

Moe Norman
11th October 2006, 05:59 PM
flying the pots on the left of 2, well thats a risk you take knowing the course. is it something you would recommend to someone who has never played the course. so you are an advocate of putting bunkers somewhere people don't want to hit? You aren't a fan of strategic risk/reward design? If there is no advantage to flying bunkers, or hitting close to them, why put them there? to catch a bad shot?? :o

5 is a great hole. i like it for the reasons you don't because its long, hard and has a forced layup from the tee that removes any strategy from the drive completely? Hrd and long doesn't equal good, well not in my taste anyway.

Clearly you are easily pleased, I like to have choices ont he golf course, I don't like the designer dictating where a shot is played, especially from the tee.

leighthebee
11th October 2006, 06:15 PM
so you are an advocate of putting bunkers somewhere people don't want to hit? You aren't a fan of strategic risk/reward design? If there is no advantage to flying bunkers, or hitting close to them, why put them there? to catch a bad shot?? :o

because its long, hard and has a forced layup from the tee that removes any strategy from the drive completely? Hrd and long doesn't equal good, well not in my taste anyway.

Clearly you are easily pleased, I like to have choices ont he golf course, I don't like the designer dictating where a shot is played, especially from the tee.

i'm a big fan of risk/reward holes, but it needs a balance with holes that also require smart course management.

seems like the you'd be happy with 14 holes that you can bang a driver on and maybe get in trouble by being wayward. whilst I don't object to holes like that, I don't want all of them like it.

if you don't like designer dictating, you must be disappointed with an awful lot of golf courses.

goughy
11th October 2006, 06:19 PM
I could swear I've played a par 5 at caboolture that was a dogleg left, like 90*. Played 3 iron almost throught the dogleg off the tee, then 3 wood second. Seemed odd to me.

Moe Norman
11th October 2006, 06:20 PM
i'm a big fan of risk/reward holes, but it needs a balance with holes that also require smart course management. Smart course management? Hit it here or you're dead - thats not smart course management. It's target golf and its boring.

seems like the you'd be happy with 14 holes that you can bang a driver on and maybe get in trouble by being wayward. whilst I don't object to holes like that, I don't want all of them like it. You miss the point completely. If a green is best approached from the left side of the fairway, then the left is the ideal place to bunker the fairway. Hence daring you to hit it there without going in, but if you want to play safe out to the right, you can, but you'll have a tougher shot in. Thats just basic design, but its the basis of the best stuff out there.

Risk/reward doesn't mean, bang it on, or dead. It means good course management and strategic thought.

leighthebee
11th October 2006, 06:23 PM
I could swear I've played a par 5 at caboolture that was a dogleg left, like 90*. Played 3 iron almost throught the dogleg off the tee, then 3 wood second. Seemed odd to me.

probably more a case of land management rather than golf design

leighthebee
11th October 2006, 06:27 PM
If a green is best approached from the left side of the fairway, then the left is the ideal place to bunker the fairway. Hence daring you to hit it there without going in, but if you want to play safe out to the right, you can, but you'll have a tougher shot in. Thats just basic design, but its the basis of the best stuff out there.

Is this not the case on the 2nd? Left is the place to be if you can clear the pots and leave it short of the green.

Is it also not the case on the 12th. A good drive here can leave you on the green, with no need to worry about aforementioned tree.

Moe Norman
11th October 2006, 06:34 PM
no, its not the case on the second - as i said earlier, which you agreed with.

on the 12th, they grow the rough short of the green, so the drive unless it flies all the way can't get there, and the tree blocks access to the green for lesser player who have hit the middle of the fairway.

A golf course should be a challenge, no matter what your handicap. 20 markers should be accorded a route to the green if the hero method isn't available due to their lack of ability.

AndyP
11th October 2006, 07:24 PM
I couldn't clear the tree with a nine iron.

leighthebee
11th October 2006, 09:43 PM
A golf course should be a challenge, no matter what your handicap. 20 markers should be accorded a route to the green if the hero method isn't available due to their lack of ability.

this is a fact of golf and one that transcends ability.

i can't go at the green because I play with a fade. a mate who plays a draw can. do i get frustrated saying the hole design is rubbish. no. i have to play it sensibly.

i'm not getting your point obviously and we won't see eye to eye on this issue. i'm trying though. if you can hit a draw, the ultimate risk/reward here is finding the green. if not if the tree, pot or rough. how does this go against what you want, and why should they change it to make it easier for you to hit too. its a short par 4 well guarded i think and one that catches many many people out trying to be too aggressive.

Moe Norman
11th October 2006, 10:03 PM
i just bomb driver and pitch to the green, I have no trouble playing the hole.

doesn't mean its a good hole though, it's complete junk actually.

BTW: you need to hit a fade to go at the green!

PeteyD
12th October 2006, 06:46 AM
The tree is definately in play for someone like me. It is right at my drive length. I don't mind that hole it makes for a good challenge. I like the Pacific layout and was very happy to play it at $20. Not as happy at $40, but will play there again knowing that is the price.

I prefer Reddy Bay (obviously) and liked Wynnum more. But I think it is better than Carbrook or Riverlakes.

Jarro
12th October 2006, 07:00 AM
I'm like you Pete, i'd play there again as i like the layout too.

However, i reckon it's not worth $40

BrisVegas
12th October 2006, 07:04 AM
I won't play there again at $40. simply not worth it. At $20 I was happy to play it occasionally.

BrisWesty
12th October 2006, 07:04 AM
Goughy, that would be #15 at Caboolture. It has OOB the whole right side. It is a land management issue as it's in the southwest corner of the site. It's about a 70-80 degree dogleg. Some of the long hitters go over the inside of the dogleg with driver or 3 wood. They however run the risk of hitting into the OOB beyond the dogleg.
I normally play that hole - 3 wood, 3-5 wood (OOB - reload - kidding), and anything from 3 iron to pitching wedge depending on the breeze and/or where the approach has finished.

Moe, I don't actually mind target golf, despite liking my driver (way too much).

BrisWesty
12th October 2006, 07:06 AM
I'd probably check it out once at $40.

Keza_G
12th October 2006, 07:16 AM
I go there when I have to otherwise never, too much Duck poo on the greens for my liking..

dc68
12th October 2006, 08:04 AM
BTW: you need to hit a fade to go at the green!

Ummm no you don't.You can go with a fade but a shot down the right with a draw will get you closer most times.

Moe Norman
12th October 2006, 08:29 AM
yes, thats what I do.

but its a left to right hole, and a fade is needed for the second shot if you land right half of fairway.

dc68
12th October 2006, 08:57 AM
Depends on where the stick is...mate I think it is a good hole. It has a risk reward factor take dog and have a putt or chip/putt or play an iron to the correct side of the fairway or far enough back to be able to go over the trees if the pin is left or right. 60% of the time the pin is middle anyway.
Believe me I have learnt over the years that this hole can be a utter Biatch, you stand on the tee thinking 3 and walk off with 6.

AndyP
12th October 2006, 09:15 AM
What hole are we talking about? I thought we were talking about 2. Left to right hole?

dc68
12th October 2006, 09:16 AM

dc68
12th October 2006, 09:25 AM
nah you just aim it down the right of them and sling it back.

Moe Norman
12th October 2006, 09:29 AM
AP - 2 is a right to left with bunkers on both sides of the dogleg, but with a pretty good green complex.

dc68
12th October 2006, 09:45 AM
AP - 2 is a right to left with bunkers on both sides of the dogleg, but with a pretty good green complex.

Only bunkers down the left Moe none on the right only some mounds.

dc68
12th October 2006, 09:46 AM
unless you mean that big bare patch in the right rough?

Iain
12th October 2006, 02:22 PM
I don't mind the layout, I didn't think the condition was very good. I agree with Moe about 5, makes it too long, even from the tips I was only a couple of metres from going in the water.

But $40 is way too much for a comp there.

leighthebee
12th October 2006, 05:47 PM
Man, this is just raising all kinds of issues.

I can't beleive the "Its not worth 40 bucks" call.

There is no such thing as a members course in Brisbane. The fact that you are allowed to play this track for 40 is a bonus.

We are clearly spoilt for choice.

Grow up in Melbourne where a true members course means you can't get on unless you are a) a member or b) know one, with no social play at all.

I think we are pretty fortunate in this regard.

goughy
12th October 2006, 06:21 PM
You are right there LTB. I agree that we are spoilt. I'd be lucky to get out a few times a year in syd or mel where prices would be out of my league.

I think most peoples point is, with tons of courses around charging $20 or less for an open comp, it's hard to justify paying twice that, at least not regularily.

As I said, I don't think I've ever paid $40 for a game of golf before. And if it came to a choice between pacific and another course charging half then I'd more often than not go the cheaper option. But I don't comprehend course layouts, arketekcha etc. I either like a course or I don't. And I've maybe only played one course in my life I could say I didn't like and wouldn't go back.

Not saying I wouldn't play pacific again, I enjoyed it. But it would be further down on my rotation list than others.

And you'll get used to us Qlder's being tight arses. It's almost a requirement.

AndyP
12th October 2006, 06:44 PM
Why do we need to start comparing to Melbourne?

"It's not worth 40 bucks", because it's relative to what else is available. There are so many options for open comps throughout the week in Brisbane, that Pacific is not even close to the best option for the money asked.

BrisVegas
12th October 2006, 07:05 PM
I can't beleive the "Its not worth 40 bucks" call.
Why not? People are entitled to assess it's "worth" in regard to the other courses available in the area. :neutral:

There is no such thing as a members course in Brisbane.
eh?? :-o What about Brisbane, Indooroopilly, RQ for instance. Unless you snag a start in a corporate day, you need to be an invited guest or an out-of-state visitor to play them.

Grow up in Melbourne .....

Not my fault you grew up in Melbourne. I'll agree with you that we are fortunate to have plenty of reasonably priced golf courses in SEQ.

The fact that you are allowed to play this track for 40 is a bonus.
Your assessment, not mine. A couple of pages ago, I was starting to agree with you. You're losing me now, sorry. If you want to continue with the self flagellation thing now that you've become a Pacific member that's fine. Just don't expect anyone else to see your point of view.

leighthebee
12th October 2006, 07:39 PM
no its not that at all. its just another point to think about. i can go out and enjoy my golf at any number of courses throughout Brisbane and either north or south.

i played the Glades last week and it cost me 105, Hope costs me 85, Pacific Harbour cost me 60 or so. that should be in the range of either Hope or the Glades with what they are trying to achieve but are discounting due to a less than efficient clubhouse which was up and running when we were there.

i guess my point is that I think Pacific is a mid range course, better than say Wynnum or Oxley, yet not in the league of say a Hope or Lakelands. Throw Northlakes into the mix and I'd put that in between Pacific and Hope. Yet I still hear not a lot of complaint about playing those courses.

As for the Victorian analogy, I guess it was misinterpreted. I'm not saying I want places elitist, just that we have it pretty good in Brisbane and 40 dollars is not alot to play a non-public course.

I have been a member of Redland Bay since 1991 and have moved to Pacific this year. I personally would be quite happy to pay green fees and comp fees when I play there as I am no longer supporting the club through being a member. I guess I don't subscribe to the "I'm a member somewhere else, therefore I should get a discount when I play at your course".

Why? Please enlighten me. The 18 hole fee at Reddy Bay when I left was $27.50 and has no doubt gone up. I would be quite prepared to pay that and the comp fee as I am using the course and playing in the comp.

leighthebee
12th October 2006, 07:42 PM
Why do we need to start comparing to Melbourne?

"It's not worth 40 bucks", because it's relative to what else is available. There are so many options for open comps throughout the week in Brisbane, that Pacific is not even close to the best option for the money asked.

thats cool and your opinion Andy. I remember you being pretty incensed about when speaking to you after your round. i guess as i have just said, I consider Pacific a better track and test of golf than say Wynnum or Nudgee.

Each to their own.

leighthebee
12th October 2006, 07:46 PM
And you'll get used to us Qlder's being tight arses. It's almost a requirement.

I've been here for 15 years, and was told upon arrival I needed to be here 10 before I could be considered a Qlder.

I used the Melbourne reference as its what I can compare it too through what I know. Nothing else.

leighthebee
12th October 2006, 07:52 PM
Why not? People are entitled to assess it's "worth" in regard to the other courses available in the area. :neutral:

eh?? :-o What about Brisbane, Indooroopilly, RQ for instance. Unless you snag a start in a corporate day, you need to be an invited guest or an out-of-state visitor to play them.

Not my fault you grew up in Melbourne. I'll agree with you that we are fortunate to have plenty of reasonably priced golf courses in SEQ.

Your assessment, not mine. A couple of pages ago, I was starting to agree with you. You're losing me now, sorry. If you want to continue with the self flagellation thing now that you've become a Pacific member that's fine. Just don't expect anyone else to see your point of view.

self flagellation!? what the? i moved to pacific because there were no noms and I was sick of my piddly handicap not transferring anwhere else I played and its a lot closer t where I live.

imagine living in Japan where its cheaper to fly to Oz and play than be a member of a Japanese club. compared to other States and the rest of the world, we have it pretty good. but it'll catch up.

be ready.

PeteyD
12th October 2006, 07:56 PM
Leigh are you just post whoring now ;) hehe

AndyP
12th October 2006, 08:06 PM
I believe Redland Bay was $20 for an open comp that we played in July.

I don't mind "splurging" on the occasional round, and $40 to me is close to a splurge. I have no problems with the challenge/design of the course, but I expected better condition.

Moe Norman
12th October 2006, 08:13 PM
There is no such thing as a members course in Brisbane. The fact that you are allowed to play this track for 40 is a bonus. Brisbane GC is the only true members course in Brisbane. The Grand and Peregian Springs are the only other two in QLD. You simply cannot rock up to these three courses and get a game without a member. Indro and RQ both allow guests without members. It's $75 on the West at Indro and $110 for a game at RQ.

The Melbourne analogy is stupid. There are hundreds of courses in that region, plenty are public. Not to mention you can get a game at places like Woodlands, Victoria, Peninsular and Long Island without a member. Woodlands and Vic are world class courses. Then you have a place like Growling Frog or the Dunes or even 13th Beach where you can get a game for $35-40 and it makes Pacific look like Corinda Par 3. There is no shortage of excellent public access golf in Melbourne, sure Joe Public can't rock up to RM or Metro for a hit, but its like comparing Apples with Oranges.

Pacific is Top 10 Brisbane course, yes. But the value offered to visitors is not competitive, and the service is a joke. These aren't isolated incidents out there, ask anyone anywhere and they've had a poor experience with staff at Pacific.

leighthebee
12th October 2006, 08:49 PM
The Melbourne analogy is stupid. There are hundreds of courses in that region, plenty are public.

Pacific is Top 10 Brisbane course, yes. But the value offered to visitors is not competitive, and the service is a joke. These aren't isolated incidents out there, ask anyone anywhere and they've had a poor experience with staff at Pacific.

Ouch! So now I'm stupid because I don't agree with you.

I don't see why a comparison with Melbourne can't be made and if you wish, I can compare apples with oranges as they both grow on trees.

Sure service in the pro shop might be a bit dodgy, but service in the club house is as good as anywhere and the staff are friendly and competent.

If paying green fees with a smile makes or breaks your day, I'll play a round with you, pay for it and buy your beers after it. How does that sound. :-D

leighthebee
12th October 2006, 08:50 PM
Leigh are you just post whoring now ;) hehe

Love a good debate Pete. Keeps the world turning.

Moe Norman
12th October 2006, 09:21 PM
Ouch! So now I'm stupid because I don't agree with you.

I don't see why a comparison with Melbourne can't be made and if you wish, I can compare apples with oranges as they both grow on trees Ok, state your case.

Is there a course in the entire state of QLD that is as good as the following courses which are available to public players in Melbourne for less than $50.

Woodlands
Dunes
13th Beach

You can compare all you like, but it will remain stupid, especially if you don't back it up.

Eag's
12th October 2006, 11:09 PM
Forget about "I can't believe it's $40 to play"
How bout "I can't believe this bloody thread is still going" :confused:
Agree to disagree otherwise this could go on for another 50 pages!! :rolleyes:

leighthebee
13th October 2006, 01:04 AM
Ok, state your case.

Is there a course in the entire state of QLD that is as good as the following courses which are available to public players in Melbourne for less than $50.

Woodlands
Dunes
13th Beach

You can compare all you like, but it will remain stupid, especially if you don't back it up.

Last time I was there, Woodlands was not a public access course.

The Dunes and 13th Beach aren't Melbourne courses as such, but I'd rate Brookwater and Hope Island up there. I think thats pretty hard to argue against.

As for the price, I'm sure green fees are due to their geography (like Pac. Harbour) rather than any sense of goodwill to golfers.

I'm sure if you negate the mandatory buggy for some courses, then pricing is a lot closer.

Moe Norman
13th October 2006, 07:00 AM
Woodlands is a members course, just like pacific and Indooroopilly. It allows visitors.

Hope Island and Brookwater are junk compared to Woodlands and 13th beach.

Moe Norman
13th October 2006, 08:10 AM
I have Wynnum in my Brisbane Top 10 easily - have a look at the thread.

It's not bad architecturally, its just a small site. It gets browny points for being an awesome place to visit as well.

dc68
13th October 2006, 08:15 AM
LTB stop banging your head against the anti Pacific wall it won't break. I agree with you if it is any consolation.

Moe Norman
13th October 2006, 08:21 AM
DC68 - on the subject.

Did you ever pick up my prize from the comp? ;)

dc68
13th October 2006, 08:28 AM
:oops: :oops: Sorry Moe I forgot...bloody Pacific members:evil:. Can't be trusted for simple tasks.

Moe Norman
13th October 2006, 08:34 AM
hahah - would they still have it?

May the 1st was the date.

BrisVegas
13th October 2006, 08:34 AM
Went and had a look at how the mags rate these courses.... just for a laugh!

Golf Digest

Brooky - #19
Hope Island - #24
Woodlands - #26
13th Beach - #41

Golf Australia

Brooky - #15
13th Beach - #16
Woodlands - #18
Hope Island - #40

AndyP
13th October 2006, 08:39 AM
Where's Pacific on the list?

Moe Norman
13th October 2006, 08:42 AM
must be an old mag - Woodlands stumbled to #69 in the latest rankings.

have to keep the interstate punters happy.

Edit: g69 beat me to it!

dc68
13th October 2006, 08:42 AM

May the 1st was the date.

Will check tomorrow mate, If not will have a word with Jo and see what I can do.

BrisVegas
13th October 2006, 08:44 AM
these were the 2006 rankings as posted on ausgolf. There's probably a fresh set out by now.

Must play St Andrews Beach, Newcastle & Royal Adelaide among others...

leighthebee
14th October 2006, 03:12 AM
Woodlands is a members course, just like pacific and Indooroopilly. It allows visitors.

This seems to state otherwise. A letter of introduction is virtually unheard of up here. Makes it more like Royal Melbourne than Pacific.

http://www.woodlandsgolf.com.au/guests/golf.mhtml

Hope Island and Brookwater are junk compared to Woodlands and 13th beach.

LOL :mrgreen: Your funny. Please tell me you drink! Brooky can hold its head against all clubs in Oz. The only thing it lacks is history.

leighthebee
14th October 2006, 03:13 AM
LTB stop banging your head against the anti Pacific wall it won't break. I agree with you if it is any consolation.

Its all good. Reasoned debate fires my interest more than footy tipping and other such diversions.

BrisVegas
14th October 2006, 06:40 AM
LOL :mrgreen: Your funny. Please tell me you drink! Brooky can hold its head against all clubs in Oz. The only thing it lacks is history.

OK, you're making sense again! Love your work LTB. :mrgreen:

PeteyD
14th October 2006, 07:30 AM
Goota admit it has been a great debate. You still got those balls for me LTB? If you can get them to someone before the champs they can go in the prize pool.

Pete

Moe Norman
14th October 2006, 07:31 AM
Vegas! It doesn't increase the value of your house by kidding yourself that brooky is a Top 20 course :D

BrisVegas
14th October 2006, 08:45 AM
Vegas! It doesn't increase the value of your house by kidding yourself that brooky is a Top 20 course :D

I don't see the link between making Moe's top 20 courses and land value increasing? Property on any golf course, even Brooky, is leaving the rest of the market behind.

Do you write to Golf Digest and Golf Australia and tell them they are kidding themselves too?

Moe Norman
14th October 2006, 09:03 AM
check out rankings of impartial raters - those attached to certain courses shouldn't be allowed to rate.

some of TWP's crew even voted National Ocean inside the top 10, throws their credibilty out the window pretty quick ;)

one day when you see the light and lose the parochial natur you will appreciate just how good places like Woodlands and RM are compared to places like Brookwater and Metro.

BrisVegas
14th October 2006, 09:25 AM
As much as I'm sure you'd love a discussion about the bias of various magazine review panels, I'm not the one to have it with you. I don't care enough about the subject or know the ins and outs of who's on the panels etc etc.... You live and breathe the stuff, so good luck to you. I'll take your word for it that they are all rigged and Broowkater doesn't deserve to be where it is...

Moe Norman
14th October 2006, 09:49 AM
well done BV - you're converted.

BrisVegas
14th October 2006, 10:00 AM
no probs Moe. :smt002

Moe Norman
14th October 2006, 10:29 AM
funnily enough, I was looking for an early game in a comp tomorrow morning.

Pacific is the only one with tee-times at Sparrows, but I can confirm afte speaking to Jo Atkin that $40 is the new official rate (might want to update the open day thread) and my playing partners said 'no way' - how ironic!

BrisVegas
14th October 2006, 11:20 AM
wynnum would have an open comp, but prob not til lunch time like most others... social groups rule the roost on sunday mornings... You coulda played Brookwater...

Moe Norman
14th October 2006, 01:41 PM
damn, I saw Andrew lurking the boards - thought he may take interest in this thread. But i guess he's probably never played Pacific :o

dc68
16th October 2006, 01:40 PM

No sorry mate.:oops:

Moe Norman
16th October 2006, 02:04 PM
tell Jo she is a tight ar$e

leighthebee
19th June 2014, 09:04 PM
Re-joined. Playing tomorrow. Gave me old handicap of 9 from 2010.....going to be a long day.....

mrbluu
20th June 2014, 02:05 AM
Re-joined. Playing tomorrow. Gave me old handicap of 9 from 2010.....going to be a long day.....

You must be buzzing with anticipation!!!

Marto65
20th June 2014, 04:35 AM
You must be buzzing with anticipation!!!

He'll get hives from excitement.

goughy
20th June 2014, 06:12 AM
http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/chris-tucker-fifth-element_rsz.jpg

leighthebee
20th June 2014, 03:27 PM
Yeahya

MegaWatty
20th June 2014, 09:12 PM
Thoughts on the course 8 years on?

dc68
20th June 2014, 09:19 PM
You've played it enough to have your opinions. It has changed a hell of a lot in that time though. There is a couple of dinky things but I love the joint. Both the course and the club. It's a club in the true sense of the word.

MegaWatty
20th June 2014, 09:29 PM
You've played it enough to have your opinions. It has changed a hell of a lot in that time though. There is a couple of dinky things but I love the joint. Both the course and the club. It's a club in the true sense of the word.

I have an opinion but I'm curious to know what LTB noticed. I wouldn't have joined if I didn't enjoy the course and club.

leighthebee
21st June 2014, 09:42 AM
Quite a few big things. No massive clump of bamboo on the 4th for one! Pity the poor buggers who cut that out. Trees missing everywhere...much shorter rough and much easier to find your ball. Greens are slick as ever and the same suspects in the pro shop. Was great to play there again and as you say, a real club. Walked in, greeted by name and off you go. Like I haven't been gone...

damoocow
16th January 2016, 06:55 PM
Anyone played Pacific recently?

Interested to know the social cost for a Sunday game and/or if they allow visitors in the Sunday comp. and how much it is - their website is a bit slack.

damoocow
17th January 2016, 07:02 AM
Found the price for Sundays - $48 !

AndyP
17th January 2016, 07:38 AM
I'm surprised that it is under $50.

Hux
17th January 2016, 08:25 AM
That's supply and demand for you. Although is it $48 with the comp fee or is that extra?
Nudgee is $30+$13 unless its a Bay Golf day and you have the recip.