PDA

View Full Version : DTC clubs

Pencil
1st August 2022, 04:11 PM
Does anyone have any experience with some of newer DTC clubs being sold now. Sub70, NewLevel etc. They seem to get decent reviews but then again so does everything else if you look hard enough.

BobsYourUncle
1st August 2022, 05:10 PM
I've recently bought a set of Takomo heads. Was going to post a thread about it at some point, probably after they arrive.

markTHEblake
1st August 2022, 05:49 PM
Suggest read Mygolfspy reviews on them, though they are getting more like Tv shopping channel.

You gotta wonder though, how many of these DTCs are just selling whitelabel heads out of cheap chinese factories.

Planet Golf
1st August 2022, 06:53 PM
New Level are great, but I would recommend the lesser known Japanese forged component companies only because they come out of premium forging houses.

I have a set of Grindworks irons and putter and they are Mizuno ("forged by samurai at the foot of Mt Fuji") quality

solarbear
2nd August 2022, 08:12 PM
I've recently bought a set of Takomo heads. Was going to post a thread about it at some point, probably after they arrive. They look like the best value in golf. Let us know if they live up to the hype.

JADO75
5th August 2022, 07:00 PM
Pretty sure Takomo sponsored two of the Good Good boys

BobsYourUncle
6th August 2022, 06:41 PM
Pretty sure Takomo sponsored two of the Good Good boys Yeah, they are - Bubbie and Steve (the worst two). My takomo heads are going to arrive from Hong Kong before the shafts I bought on FB marketplace from Sydney (seller was slow to post).

Hatchman
7th August 2022, 12:02 AM
You gone Modus3j

markTHEblake
7th August 2022, 07:31 AM
Most will overlook the longest standing DTC brand, The Golfworks. Www.golfworks.com Almost 50 years in the OEM business, and their next release of their own irons, the TS3 and TS4 will be as good as any, if not better.

https://ralphmaltby.com/questions/question/ts3-production-pics/

Sub 70 do have an interesting backstory, i think that writeup is on Mygolfspy.

And there is Edel golf, perhaps the only OEM that is genuinely innovating. Dave Edel's understanding of biomechanics has lead to better matching of head design to golfers individual needs. His podcasts are very interesting.

BobsYourUncle
7th August 2022, 01:07 PM
You gone Modus3j

No, DG AMT white. Although I've got 3 sets of irons with modus in them here if I don't get on with the dynamic golds (although I've spent a bit of time on a launch monitor with them).

Pencil
11th August 2022, 03:20 PM
Most will overlook the longest standing DTC brand, The Golfworks. Www.golfworks.com Almost 50 years in the OEM business, and their next release of their own irons, the TS3 and TS4 will be as good as any, if not better.https://ralphmaltby.com/questions/question/ts3-production-pics/Sub 70 do have an interesting backstory, i think that writeup is on Mygolfspy.And there is Edel golf, perhaps the only OEM that is genuinely innovating. Dave Edel's understanding of biomechanics has lead to better matching of head design to golfers individual needs. His podcasts are very interesting. Look up MORE golf, they doing so weird stuff in terms of innovation. Run by one of the Sizemore brothers that used to make putters.

DMG
11th August 2022, 03:24 PM
My New Level driving/utility iron is a weapon. It can even make me look good, which is saying something!

davidp
24th August 2022, 02:25 PM
Pulled the trigger on a set of Takomo 101s. No idea when they will arrive as they are on backorder.

davidp
24th August 2022, 06:07 PM
Too funny - called Takomo to find out what the wait is like for my clubs. The recorded voice is in Finnish - had absolutely no idea what she was saying. Might try the socials …

BobsYourUncle
24th August 2022, 06:09 PM
Too funny - called Takomo to find out what the wait is like for my clubs. The recorded voice is in Finnish - had absolutely no idea what she was saying. Might try the socials … They were good over email for me

davidp
24th August 2022, 06:16 PM
Yeah - sent them an email yesterday. I suffer from a bad case of impatience and a desire to know everything now - but will have to wait for the reply.

Pencil
24th August 2022, 09:20 PM
I ordered a set of Sub70s a couple of days ago

Dcanto
24th August 2022, 09:30 PM
I ordered a set of Sub70s a couple of days ago Nice, which model?

Pencil
24th August 2022, 10:35 PM
Nice, which model? 659 combo set

davidp
25th August 2022, 01:01 AM
If anyone is interested in Sub70 clubs - they have a pre-owned selection where you can often save a good chunk of change.

BobsYourUncle
25th August 2022, 06:13 PM
I've played 2 rounds now with my Takomo 101t irons. Current thoughts are "why was I making golf so hard?" - but I'm sure that'll fade over time.

Can't be more positive about them though - the newer "t" model are compact, low (enough) offset, and I still have plenty of shaping/stopping control. And you really notice the forgiveness the hollow body gives on off-centre strikes. Brilliant clubs.

markTHEblake
8th September 2022, 05:29 PM
Some woman has discovered her husbands sneaky purchase of Takomo irons and put them up on Facebook marketplace. Serves him right, Might be a good buy for some of you

Search for Takomo 101 irons or look in Qld Golf buy swap group.

davidp
8th September 2022, 09:00 PM
Some woman has discovered her husbands sneaky purchase of Takomo irons and put them up on Facebook marketplace. Serves him right, Might be a good buy for some of you

Wasn’t my wife. 🙂 I haven’t got mine yet. Btw, Marzena frequently sells used gear. She was selling a TEE driver about 9 mths ago.

markTHEblake
9th September 2022, 08:13 AM
I wonder why she doesnt sell on Ozgolf

perci
11th September 2022, 04:40 PM

These now reside in Tarragindi!

Sookie1
11th September 2022, 05:38 PM
These now reside in Tarragindi! I give them a week lol

dan_ego
4th October 2022, 01:17 PM
If anyone is interested in Sub70 clubs - they have a pre-owned selection where you can often save a good chunk of change. Have your clubs arrived yet? I'm going to pull the trigger on the 101s, wondering if the wait might be a longer than the 4-8 weeks listed on the website. Did you get stock or custom? Also curious if there is any import duty on these when shipping to Aus? Cheers!

Pencil
6th October 2022, 11:41 PM
Have your clubs arrived yet? I'm going to pull the trigger on the 101s, wondering if the wait might be a longer than the 4-8 weeks listed on the website. Did you get stock or custom? Also curious if there is any import duty on these when shipping to Aus? Cheers! I bought a set. They were 2 weeks from the date I ordered to when they were shipped out of the US. They landed in Sydney inside 3 days, then took another 8 days to make there way to Perth from Sydney…… Yes I got hit for import duty by FedEx, they won’t release them until you pay it.

BobsYourUncle
7th October 2022, 07:00 AM
I didn't get charged import duty - but I bought heads only, and they can't from Hong Kong by DPEX.

markTHEblake
7th October 2022, 09:43 AM
I didn't get charged import duty - but I bought heads only, and they can't from Hong Kong by DPEX. If under $1000 AUD you wont be.

Daves
7th October 2022, 09:50 AM
If under $1000 AUD you wont be.

Not anymore. Gerry won his battle and they change the Tax Law a few years ago;

https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/International-tax-for-business/GST-on-imported-goods-and-services/GST-on-low-value-imported-goods/

markTHEblake
7th October 2022, 10:15 AM
Thats imposed on sellers reshippers etc.

Its not charged to us at the border if under $1000.

As long as the seller or reshipper doesnt add GST, we get away with it.

dan_ego
7th October 2022, 02:08 PM
I bought a set. They were 2 weeks from the date I ordered to when they were shipped out of the US. They landed in Sydney inside 3 days, then took another 8 days to make there way to Perth from Sydney…… Yes I got hit for import duty by FedEx, they won’t release them until you pay it.

Thanks for the reply. Curious if you ordered them custom or stock? I've heard conflicting things, but mostly that stock sets ship quickly and custom are taking a while. Also, how do you like the clubs? Cheers!

Pencil
7th October 2022, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the reply. Curious if you ordered them custom or stock? I've heard conflicting things, but mostly that stock sets ship quickly and custom are taking a while. Also, how do you like the clubs? Cheers! Custom. Love them, took a punt on the shaft selection and it seems I picked the right one. Nothing better than getting the grips you want when order them as well.

davidp
10th October 2022, 12:46 AM
Sorry Dan - didn’t see your post. I ended up putting these in the bag. They will take a bit of getting used to as the swingweight is different to my old irons. Mind you - only 1 round into it. Will need some practice to dial in the yardage as the modern “distance” iron are a completely different beast to what I am used to. However a shite swing with new clubs is going to yield pretty much the same result as a shite swing with old clubs. It definitely ain’t the tools ..

dan_ego
10th October 2022, 09:34 AM
Sorry Dan - didn’t see your post. I ended up putting these in the bag. They will take a bit of getting used to as the swingweight is different to my old irons. Mind you - only 1 round into it. Will need some practice to dial in the yardage as the modern “distance” iron are a completely different beast to what I am used to. However a shite swing with new clubs is going to yield pretty much the same result as a shite swing with old clubs. It definitely ain’t the tools ..

All good David! Yeah I'm expecting they'll take me a while to get used to, I'm coming from some old Lynx clubs with graphite shafts that I've had for 15 years and definitely grown out of. Anything with steel feels very different.

Just ordered the 101s. Decided to spend $100 at house of golf and got fit to some P790 heads (seem to be a similar design and similar specs) and tried out the different KBS shafts that Takomo offer, so I think I'm as close to 'fitted' for 101s as I can get without actually having hit them!

Bitter
16th December 2022, 10:23 PM
Anyone that’s ordered direct from Takomo, what were the transit times like? I pulled the trigger on 101T’s this week and am very interested in what the timing is like.

davidp
17th December 2022, 12:31 AM
6 weeks with custom length, lie adjustment.

Bitter
17th December 2022, 05:15 AM
6 weeks with custom length, lie adjustment.

Awesome thanks mate, I’ve gone stock off the shelf that they sent the next day. I’d be happy with 6 weeks though.

BobsYourUncle
17th December 2022, 01:09 PM
I bought heads only on a Saturday, they were shipped Tuesday I think, and arrived about 7 days later.

Bitter
17th December 2022, 07:20 PM
I bought heads only on a Saturday, they were shipped Tuesday I think, and arrived about 7 days later.

That’s pretty impressive, will see what mine are like but obviously not a good time of year haha.

Ferrins
19th December 2022, 03:01 PM
I have been using the the 101's for 3 months and very happy with them. Feel great,generate plenty of spin to hold greens and nice clean look in the bag.

Bitter
20th December 2022, 02:42 PM
Just an update on my order.

From placing the order late Wednesday evening they have just been delivered at my door today. That’s impressive.

NewyMitch
20th December 2022, 03:17 PM
I came across these the other day. They don't look half bad:

https://www.2ndswing.com/lb-1-sts

davidp
20th December 2022, 06:40 PM
I came across these the other day. They don't look half bad:

https://www.2ndswing.com/lb-1-sts
Damn - I used to live 20 mins from the 2nd swing shop in Minnetonka. Usually a very enjoyable Saturday afternoon browsing.

BobsYourUncle
20th December 2022, 06:44 PM
I came across these the other day. They don't look half bad:https://www.2ndswing.com/lb-1-sts They look real nice

1ovad
7th July 2023, 01:06 PM
Just an update on my order.

From placing the order late Wednesday evening they have just been delivered at my door today. That’s impressive.

A bit of a Johnny come lately, but how have you found them, and are you still gaming them?