PDA

View Full Version : Must play courses - Perth

TS
20th July 2022, 07:48 PM
Looking at traveling to Perth for couple weeks in early September. Haven't been there for about 20 years, which are the must play courses in Perth nowadays?

Johnny Canuck
20th July 2022, 08:36 PM
The Cut is worth the experience. It's about an hour south of the CBD.

Meadow Springs is quite nice.

Joondalup is good.

Sun City is a touch north, but I really like it.

Cottesloe and Lake Karrinyup are both very nice, but private and pretty exxy if you were to get on for a game.

Kennedy Bay is under construction, so skip that.

Secret Harbour is decent. Generally makes top 100 lists, but I don't find it overly exciting.

TS
20th July 2022, 08:56 PM
The Cut is worth the experience. It's about an hour south of the CBD.

Meadow Springs is quite nice.

Joondalup is good.

Sun City is a touch north, but I really like it.

Cottesloe and Lake Karrinyup are both very nice, but private and pretty exxy if you were to get on for a game.

Kennedy Bay is under construction, so skip that.

Secret Harbour is decent. Generally makes top 100 lists, but I don't find it overly exciting.

Thanks for the info.

I have reciprocal right to Cottesloe and Lake Karrinyup, so I will try to get onto them

Johnny Canuck
20th July 2022, 09:10 PM
Both are definitely worth a visit with your recips. Lake K ahead of Cott if you had to choose one.

sms316
21st July 2022, 08:52 AM
I have fond memories of Bunbury and Kwinana.

LeftyHoges
21st July 2022, 09:03 AM
The Cut is worth the experience.

What are you doing?

Johnny Canuck
21st July 2022, 10:11 AM
What are you doing?

I played it recently and had someone give me lines on a few of the blind shots and actually quite enjoyed it.

I had a feeling I’d be hearing from you.

TS, forgot about Araluen.

Hidden gem.

TS
21st July 2022, 12:42 PM
I played it recently and had someone give me lines on a few of the blind shots and actually quite enjoyed it.

TS, forgot about Araluen.

Hidden gem.

I played Araluen before and have fond memory

TS
21st July 2022, 12:43 PM
What are you doing?

I haven't play The Cut before. It looks spectacular, intend to play it couple times

Johnny Canuck
21st July 2022, 12:48 PM
I haven't play The Cut before. It looks spectacular, intend to play it couple times

If I can , I’ll catch up for a game when you are over.

petethepilot
21st July 2022, 12:55 PM
Like some other aspects of WA…there is a significant spelling mistake when the WAnkers referred to the Cut. There is a silent n in that courses name!

I found it to be the least satisfying course built on decent ground (well half of it) that I have played in years! Admittedly, that was pre-covid so it might have been bombed by the airforce (and improved) since then!

Steve
21st July 2022, 01:07 PM
if you would like a quick, relaxing game. Seaview at Cottesloe is a great 9 hole course (18 tees). Its private but allows visitors, I was a member there when i lived in Perth, been there over 100 years one of WAs oldest courses. there are drone videos on the web page.

LeftyHoges
21st July 2022, 02:36 PM

The fact that it even has blind shots to begin with is just the beginnings of the problem, not the "lines that you need to be shown".

**** that course in its stupid arse.

benno_r
21st July 2022, 03:24 PM
I found it to be the least satisfying course built on decent ground

I don't think it's worst for me in the race, but it's photo finish with National Old.

petethepilot
21st July 2022, 04:00 PM
Takes 5 plays to get Nat Old Benno. I would have taken up Bowls before having 5 games at the Cu.t.

benno_r
21st July 2022, 04:02 PM
Takes 5 plays to get Nat Old Benno. I would have taken up Bowls before having 5 games at the Cu.t.

I'll be topping out at 2 and 1 respectively.

And a question for the locals on Sun City - was the whole course redone? Or are works still ongoing?

pt73
21st July 2022, 04:38 PM
It's a real eye opener to watch how a low marker National member plays it, especially shots to the green on many holes.

Johnny Canuck
21st July 2022, 05:52 PM
I'll be topping out at 2 and 1 respectively.

And a question for the locals on Sun City - was the whole course redone? Or are works still ongoing?

There were a few holes that remained unchanged.

I really like the “new” course.

LeftyHoges
22nd July 2022, 09:03 AM

I got news for you Pete, if it takes "5 goes" at a course to appreciate it, it's actually just a genuine turd.

Johnny Canuck
22nd July 2022, 09:57 AM
I got news for you Pete, if it takes "5 goes" at a course to appreciate it, it's actually just a genuine turd.

After 5 goes at The Cut you’d be considering a permanent move to WA and looking at land in Port Bouvard.

petethepilot
22nd July 2022, 01:43 PM
After 5 goes at The Cut you’d be considering a permanent move to WA and looking at land in Port Bouvard.

You’re kidding aren’t you JC? Surely you have travelled enough to see the many misses at The Cut.

Johnny Canuck
22nd July 2022, 01:45 PM
You’re kidding aren’t you JC? Surely you have travelled enough to see the many misses at The Cut.

I still has many faults. I have just enjoyed it the more that I have played it. They’ve addressed a few of the bad parts, although some terrible designs cannot be changed.

petethepilot
22nd July 2022, 03:03 PM
I’m glad to hear it is improving. It could be great with the budget and the right GCA!
Hope u are still playing well JC.

pete

Yossarian
22nd July 2022, 03:03 PM
Once every couple of years max for me at the cut. Ridiculous course but worth playing once. Bring some old balls.

Sydney Hacker
23rd July 2022, 09:44 AM
I have reciprocal rights with Royal Perth and the WA, which one would I be better of playing? Need to come over to sort some employees issues out so want to squeeze a game in also.

petethepilot
23rd July 2022, 10:52 AM
Both are pleasant games but both courses are compromised SH. RP has 18 holes in room for 14 with lots of trees and bunkers making it play longer than it really is. WA has a number of better holes but is further from the city and a pig of a walk with some serious hills. I tended to play RP more than WA (I was also recip with both plus LKCC and Cottesloe) as i used to stay in the city. I found the membership pretty friendly for a Royal at RP and I loved the drinks (great wine list) after the game out on the verandah. Either is fine really but don’t go expecting a great course.

pete

Johnny Canuck
23rd July 2022, 11:19 AM
I’m glad to hear it is improving. It could be great with the budget and the right GCA!
Hope u are still playing well JC.

pete

Cheers Pete. You too.

Johnny Canuck
23rd July 2022, 11:22 AM
Both are pleasant games but both courses are compromised SH. RP has 18 holes in room for 14 with lots of trees and bunkers making it play longer than it really is. WA has a number of better holes but is further from the city and a pig of a walk with some serious hills. I tended to play RP more than WA (I was also recip with both plus LKCC and Cottesloe) as i used to stay in the city. I found the membership pretty friendly for a Royal at RP and I loved the drinks (great wine list) after the game out on the verandah. Either is fine really but don’t go expecting a great course.

pete

I’ve still describe RP to this day as 18 holes on enough land for 14!

I’ll be there tomorrow for pennant so will be able to check the conditions out. The green haven’t been great for a while , but they had a change of greenskeeper a little under a year ago.

I’d probably play GCWA ahead of RP if I had to choose one.

Benje
23rd July 2022, 11:46 AM
The Cut

why would you design a course on glorious land with strong prevailing winds and include narrow blind holes, exposed shots and severe rough/jungle on those holes? Just dumb.

Benje

Sydney Hacker
24th July 2022, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, which one has the “most fun” greens? I really enjoy a course where you have some options around and on the greens if that makes sense?

Looking at google maps (dangerous I know) Royal Perth looks a bit up and back, would that be a fair comment?

petethepilot
24th July 2022, 05:40 PM
Yep…mostly raised greens. Both courses are Kikuyu so not many ground options around the greens!
More quirk at WAGC I would think.Both would be Doak 3’s I reckon!

Sydney Hacker
24th July 2022, 06:06 PM
Yep…mostly raised greens. Both courses are Kikuyu so not many ground options around the greens!More quirk at WAGC I would think.Both would be Doak 3’s I reckon! Bloody Kik, it’s all I cop at Monash. Although with the rain I can’t even play there at the moment

petethepilot
24th July 2022, 06:50 PM
LKCC is the only non-Kik course that I know over there….maybe Mt Lawley (which could be really good but the membership prevent it).

simmsy
24th July 2022, 09:11 PM
plenty of couch courses over here Pete. we just don't have many good courses over here.

simmsy
24th July 2022, 09:12 PM
Vines can be decent at times too. its condition seems to vary greatly though

petethepilot
24th July 2022, 10:12 PM
Thanks Simmsy, you are right. Why did the RP’s RF’s WA’s go to Kik. Surely they had the finances to use more suitable grass?

LeftyHoges
25th July 2022, 07:41 AM

After 5 goes at The Cut I'd have played the last 3 from my coffin.

TS
25th July 2022, 08:14 AM
Sounds like I should play The Cuts as a character building exercise

Benje
25th July 2022, 02:26 PM

Take someone to play with who you dislike. You will enjoy the pain they will go through.

MAZA68
25th July 2022, 05:33 PM
Try and play with a local for some course guidance, it will help a lot.

petethepilot
25th July 2022, 05:46 PM
Try and play with a local for some course guidance, it will help a lot.

Even the locals can’t make themselves hit far enough right off 18 tee!

Btw, is that deep gulch still left on 17 (last 90 metres). That gulch and the fairway slope makes you hit 6 iron/wedge. Simply insane to try and knock it on the green!

MAZA68
25th July 2022, 07:07 PM

Btw, is that deep gulch still left on 17 (last 90 metres). That gulch and the fairway slope makes you hit 6 iron/wedge. Simply insane to try and knock it on the green!
yea it is, local advise was iron to the top of the hill and wedge in. Would require a very accurate (lucky) drive to hit the green.
18 was aim at the stick in the bush and find the fairway!

petethepilot
25th July 2022, 07:31 PM
Yet more evidence of missed opportunities. A half decent GCA could have done great things there…other than the front nine where u play past peoples kitchens and living rooms!

TS
25th July 2022, 08:59 PM
Sounds like it is worth playing at least once so I can join in the critique of The Cut next time

Johnny Canuck
25th July 2022, 09:27 PM
Sounds like it is worth playing at least once so I can join in the critique of The Cut next time

Definitely worth playing

Johnny Canuck
25th July 2022, 10:48 PM

I believe they've sorted the 18th tee shot. It was devilish in that you couldn't hold the fairway for a long time. I remember playing there once and hitting one way right of the target stake. Commented that it was gone. Hit a provisional with a little cut, right of the stake as well and commented that it was absolutely perfect. Got up there to find that my first that I thought was dead was fine and my second, which was perfect, had exited the fairway left.

That being said, I play it as a three shotter now as there is no way I'm getting up to the top of the hill in 2. Even if I were to do it, it would be next to impossible to stop it on the green with the club I'd be hitting in and the elevation change.

17 is about a 7i and a flick wedge still. Everything filters down into the same collection area.

10 has been cleared out a bit and there's a bigger landing area.

Matt 3 Jab
15th March 2023, 08:53 PM
Heading west.

Have games lined up at the cut and royal Fremantle.

I've got a Sunday spare, what's the best option near CBD for a hit??

Sent from my NE2215 using Tapatalk

LeftyHoges
15th March 2023, 09:02 PM
Heading west.

Seriously, dont do The Cu*t. It's ****ing woeful.

Obviously I'm not from Perth, and I haven't played them all, and depends on your definition of "near CBD", but from what I know, probably Cottesloe?

Maybe Mt Lawley, or Wembley?

Matt 3 Jab
15th March 2023, 09:13 PM
Haha I read about the cut. We used to have reciprocal. Not sure we still do. But playing there with a mate.

Staying in Carine I think.

ParkRoyal
16th March 2023, 09:40 AM
Mt Lawley has had some OCM work done hasn't it?

BUSHY
16th March 2023, 11:24 AM
Heading west.

If you can get on karrinyup that’s best and probably 15-20 from the cbd?

thecollective
16th March 2023, 03:16 PM
Meadow Springs is a good track IMO. Have they completed the changes to Kennedy Bay? If so definitely worth a game

Both do require a bit of a drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yossarian
17th March 2023, 10:45 AM
If you can get on lake karrinyup that is the best. My order near CBD would be Mt Lawley, Cott then WA Golf Club.

Kennedy is only 9 holes at the moment but they are all pretty good.

If you want a loong drive Sun City is a lot of fun.

What day are you playing Royal Freo?

Johnny Canuck
18th March 2023, 06:58 PM
If you decide that you don’t mind a bit of a drive, Araluen is worth a hit.

thecollective
19th March 2023, 09:51 PM
If you decide that you don’t mind a bit of a drive, Araluen is worth a hit.

Must admit this course caught my eye when watching Ron Chopper's vlog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N261bsLzfaw&ab_channel=RonChopper

Matt 3 Jab
19th March 2023, 10:56 PM
If you can get on lake karrinyup that is the best. My order near CBD would be Mt Lawley, Cott then WA Golf Club.

Kennedy is only 9 holes at the moment but they are all pretty good.

If you want a loong drive Sun City is a lot of fun.

What day are you playing Royal Freo?Thanks

Down Freo on Tuesday lunch time.

Sunday's game might be up in the air so have to play by ear

Matt 3 Jab
26th March 2023, 01:31 PM
Well I played the cut. It reminded me a bit of magenta with the strategy all be it a bit wider in some parts.

I hit a great drive on 18 straight over the red and white marker and was about 250 out.

Few holes I think you would need to play a few times to really get the hang of. Otherwise enjoyable I thought

3Puttpete
26th March 2023, 04:34 PM
https://media1.giphy.com/media/2UvAUplPi4ESnKa3W0/giphy.gif

LeftyHoges
27th March 2023, 12:12 AM
https://media1.giphy.com/media/2UvAUplPi4ESnKa3W0/giphy.gifNope.

Matt 3 Jab
27th March 2023, 12:38 AM
Definitely seems to divide people from what I've read. Coming from somewhere like Magenta which isn't too different it feels a lot better than most may feel about it. I take less than driver most weeks on a few par 5 's so nothing out of the usual.

I played royal Fremantle as well. Enjoyed it thoroughly. I guess I just take on the different styles and dont really have a dislike for either.

I can see the difference between somewhere like RF that you can definitely overpower with length vs somewhere like the cut where you can overpower it but the ever looming miss makes you consider your choices a touch more.

Play whatever track makes you happy I guess

Yossarian
28th March 2023, 05:18 PM
The Cut is a deeply flawed golf course, the front 9 is the better 9 from a strategic point of view.

The back 9 looks quite nice but is genuinely ***ed as a golf experience IMO.

LeftyHoges
28th March 2023, 09:40 PM
The Cut is a deeply flawed golf course, the front 9 is the better 9 from a strategic point of view.

The back 9 looks quite nice but is genuinely ***ed as a golf experience IMO.You're too kind to it.

markTHEblake
28th March 2023, 10:05 PM
Must admit this course caught my eye when watching Ron Chopper's vlog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N261bsLzfaw&ab_channel=RonChopper

who is this Ron Tosser anyway? doesnt fit it in with the usual WA decent blokes.
i guess he must be a victorian.

Yossarian
28th March 2023, 11:17 PM
Almost a fortnight gone since playing Sandbelt courses, there a no real must plays in Perth.

Sydney Hacker
29th March 2023, 10:50 AM
Almost a fortnight gone since playing Sandbelt courses, there a no real must plays in Perth. The sandbelt hangover, it really can leave you in the doldrums.

petethepilot
29th March 2023, 04:26 PM
Sadly, Perth should be wonderful to play golf….but isn’t.
WA missed out when Dr Mac bypassed WA on his trip to Melb (you could say the same about Sydney golf as well although he did spend some time at NSWGC).
Alex Russell spent time at LKCC but he doesn’t appear to have influenced much else in the West.

Johnny Canuck
29th March 2023, 08:50 PM
Sadly, Perth should be wonderful to play golf….but isn’t.
WA missed out when Dr Mac bypassed WA on his trip to Melb (you could say the same about Sydney golf as well although he did spend some time at NSWGC).
Alex Russell spent time at LKCC but he doesn’t appear to have influenced much else in the West.

I was speaking to a Mt Lawley member on the weekend and he was very positive about the changes happening there. Lawley has the best land in Perth, but the course has always been very underwhelming.

If the four new holes they've built at Kennedy Bay are any indication, the new course, upon completion, will be very very good.