PDA

View Full Version : What driver is everyone playing in 2022

Lucasto23
5th July 2022, 05:04 PM
Getting back into golf and time to start HOing again. What’s everyone loving so far. Stealth, Rogue, G425 let me hear what’s so hot right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

markTHEblake
5th July 2022, 05:47 PM
all of those have been in the proshop lately, so obviously they are no good.

spanner039
5th July 2022, 06:46 PM
Stealth plus - best looking & feeling Taylormade head I’ve hit about to put all the beam heads I have in the pro shop, sort of like trading the Bentley in on a Hyundai but it works. Consistent low spin low launch.

playing the ventus tr 6x or pro 2.0.

NewyMitch
5th July 2022, 06:50 PM
Just changed from Ping G410 LST to a Mizuno ST-Z. Much to my surprise I find the Mizuno handles my bad strikes better than than Ping. Needless to say the Ping will be appearing in the proshop soon.

Ping is fitted with an ATTAS COOOL 6X
Mizuno is fitted with an ATTAS T2 6X

gazgolf1
5th July 2022, 08:20 PM
Cobra LTD-X....still getting used to it and playing around with the loft searching for the right traj.

Lucasto23
5th July 2022, 08:52 PM
Stealth plus - best looking & feeling Taylormade head I’ve hit about to put all the beam heads I have in the pro shop, sort of like trading the Bentley in on a Hyundai but it works. Consistent low spin low launch.

playing the ventus tr 6x or pro 2.0.

What you can’t be serious, a man with exotic tastes such as yours should not need to sell his babies for a new toy. Good to see your still a classy guy

Lucasto23
5th July 2022, 08:54 PM
Just changed from Ping G410 LST to a Mizuno ST-Z. Much to my surprise I find the Mizuno handles my bad strikes better than than Ping. Needless to say the Ping will be appearing in the proshop soon.

Ping is fitted with an ATTAS COOOL 6X
Mizuno is fitted with an ATTAS T2 6X

Been seeing a lot of people are going for more spin friendly options these days, what’s the Coool like as a shaft

Lucasto23
5th July 2022, 08:55 PM
Cobra LTD-X....still getting used to it and playing around with the loft searching for the right traj.

Traj is always piercing for you Gaz

simmsy
5th July 2022, 09:20 PM
Titleist TSi2 ftw here.
Rogue meant to be excellent too.

way too many preowned stealth getting sold out there for my liking

Sookie1
5th July 2022, 09:32 PM
Still can't go past my sim. Especially on a course where you might use driver six times a round. Bang for buck is just not there.

NewyMitch
5th July 2022, 10:21 PM
Been seeing a lot of people are going for more spin friendly options these days, what’s the Coool like as a shaftSent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro I don't have any numbers but the Mizuno flies like it has similar spin numbers to the Ping driver. The ball just doesn't dive out of the air when I get the high toe strike, the low heel also does surprisingly well.The Coool plays pretty similar to a Tensei Pro White but maybe a touch softer. Definitely plays more stout than the T2.

Lucasto23
5th July 2022, 10:30 PM
Still can't go past my sim. Especially on a course where you might use driver six times a round. Bang for buck is just not there.

Hit more drivers Sookie, I still like my sim just want a competitor to scare it into obedience

Lucasto23
5th July 2022, 10:31 PM
I don't have any numbers but the Mizuno flies like it has similar spin numbers to the Ping driver. The ball just doesn't dive out of the air when I get the high toe strike, the low heel also does surprisingly well.The Coool plays pretty similar to a Tensei Pro White but maybe a touch softer. Definitely plays more stout than the T2.

Nice, let me know when the sale commences

Kelsey86
5th July 2022, 10:40 PM
None currently, I need to either replace the shaft in my M5 or just get a whole new driver. In the meantime my TSi3 3 wood is doing the job.

Toolish
6th July 2022, 08:22 AM
Playing the old Rogue. If I was buying now it would be a toss up between the Rogue ST Max LS and Pink G425 LST. Haven't hit the Stealth to be honest.

What is your ball flight?

WBennett
6th July 2022, 11:32 AM
Nice, let me know when the sale commences

Meanwhile, I am looking forward to your fire sale

Courty
6th July 2022, 04:53 PM
Recently picked up a SIM2 on sale from GCO. I have no interest in spending $900 on a club.

bdoug10
6th July 2022, 06:16 PM
Have a sim2 here also. I didn’t see any gains for me when I tired the stealth

Lucasto23
6th July 2022, 06:56 PM
Playing the old Rogue. If I was buying now it would be a toss up between the Rogue ST Max LS and Pink G425 LST. Haven't hit the Stealth to be honest.

What is your ball flight?

Low mid launch, working on improving angle of attack to get a little more up on it

Lucasto23
6th July 2022, 06:57 PM
Meanwhile, I am looking forward to your fire sale

I cleared most of the spares out last time, but I’m sure once it all washes out there maybe a few things available [emoji1751]. Chasing anything in particular

Johnny Canuck
6th July 2022, 11:51 PM
Titleist TSi2 ftw here.
Rogue meant to be excellent too.

way too many preowned stealth getting sold out there for my liking

Tsi2 for me as well. Very forgiving and easy to launch.

Toolish
7th July 2022, 08:36 AM
Low mid launch, working on improving angle of attack to get a little more up on it

Ignore those suggestions then...totally opposite ball flight to me! :)

billp
7th July 2022, 09:20 AM
G425 for me, super forgiving and just as long as anything for my swing speed of 100. You just have to get use to the noise.

davepuppies
7th July 2022, 11:55 AM
Sim 2.

Have been using a AD DI 7x, but just had a AD IZ 6tx built. Seems to go well

solarbear
7th July 2022, 08:37 PM
Ping G20... Sometimes I think of switching, but after watching Rick Shields test 5 generations of Ping Drivers on YouTube, I'm not convinced it would be money well spent.

simmsy
7th July 2022, 08:41 PM
did he put any drives on the fairway?

Webster
7th July 2022, 10:50 PM
Sldr 10.5

WBennett
8th July 2022, 01:40 PM
Sldr 10.5

This genuinely shocks me

backintheswing
8th July 2022, 01:54 PM
Zx5 10.5

Lucasto23
8th July 2022, 03:35 PM
Zx5 10.5

Heard the ZX range has been pretty good, new release maybe at the end of this year I think in the irons don’t know about the woods

Webster
8th July 2022, 04:40 PM
This genuinely shocks me

Why?

rickie prowler
8th July 2022, 05:56 PM
Ping G20... Sometimes I think of switching, but after watching Rick Shields test 5 generations of Ping Drivers on YouTube, I'm not convinced it would be money well spent. The G20 was a fantastic driver. Nothing out there at the minute will vastly improve you over that. Same for everyone.

BobsYourUncle
8th July 2022, 06:00 PM
Heard the ZX range has been pretty good, new release maybe at the end of this year I think in the irons don’t know about the woods Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro The previous z785/585 irons and woods were also really good. Srixon has been making really good gear for a while now.

Lucasto23
9th July 2022, 11:05 AM
The irons have been really good for a long time, still sceptical on the woods only due to resale [emoji33]

simmsy
9th July 2022, 11:44 AM
trialled the zx5 driver early this year. couldn't get past the sound.have the irons and love them.

WBennett
10th July 2022, 06:18 PM
Why? It's not a Mizuno, and Sliders are somewhat unloved.

Webster
10th July 2022, 08:06 PM
Unfortunately, most people aren't good enough to play the SLDR, it's really only for very good players.

In the last 10 years I've gone Ping Rapture-Bridgestone J40-TM SLDR and a 6 month stint only using the Macgregor M85 persimmon. If I find something that goes straight and reasonable distance, I don't change.

ParkRoyal
11th July 2022, 10:53 AM
Unfortunately, most people aren't good enough to play the SLDR, it's really only for very good players.

In the last 10 years I've gone Ping Rapture-Bridgestone J40-TM SLDR and a 6 month stint only using the Macgregor M85 persimmon. If I find something that goes straight and reasonable distance, I don't change.

Ping Rapture is a great driver, still have the Rapture 2 driver and Rapture 3 wood was still going in the bag last year.

Ping G30 for me at the moment.

Dactyloscopy Dan
11th July 2022, 09:36 PM
ZX5. I demo’d a Rogue and Sim 2 and were not fussed on either so took a punt on a Golfbox special on the ZX5 and lucked out. I like it a lot better than both I demo’d. Makes some noise though

rowey
11th July 2022, 10:07 PM
Currently playing a Callaway Speed tour issue with a DI XC 6 shaft....awaiting a Rogue ST Max LS tour issue to arrive

Daves
12th July 2022, 10:17 AM
All of them!:mrgreen:

Of the more recent models, I have been using/testing a G425 Max, a Radspeed XB, an Epic Max and a SIM 2. I also trialed a Stealth HD Demo for a round.

For my sub 100mph SS, my opinions/observations so far;

- Stealth HD 10.5*. Very different sound/feel. Could get used to it. Trialed against M5 and it didn't beat it. Very forgiving, but no feedback. Very dead off the face. Shaft probably didn't help (Ventus 5R).

- G425 Max 10.5* . Like the look, but I am a Ping fan. Different sound to previous recent Pings. I like it. Performs very well. I am getting High FIR and very good distance out of it. Easy to work. Shaft is stock Black Alta CB 55S. Tested against a 410 Plus, not much in it, but final points to the 425.

- Radspeed XB 10.5* Like the sound/feel. Reasonably workable. Good FIR and distance. Edged by the G425 in head to head. Stock shaft is OK (Cypher 40 6.0), but it went better with a Black Smoke 60g 6.0.

- SIM 2. Like it, but it was a 9.0* and not enough loft for my low launch swing. Have moved it on and looking for a 10.5* or even a 12*

- Epic Max 10.5*. Recent arrival. Matched to my stock testing shaft, a PL Blue (65S). A few rounds in and I think it is the winner so far. The G425 is very close, but i give the points to the Epic on sound/feel slightly (very traditional BB sound), and on workability.

PerryGroves
12th July 2022, 11:34 AM

Jack, can you expand on this.

Its a TM driver, their business model (from where I sit) is providing the average punter with something blingy that their research suggests you will hit further. What did they get wrong with this for say an 18 marker.

I've got one in the cupboard of broken dreams but can't recall it being any more difficult to hit than previous iterations.

petethepilot
12th July 2022, 12:19 PM
I agree with Jack PG. The SLDR was almost Tour issue in performance. A bit like a Brazilian Super model. When it was good…it was great, but when it was bad….it was terrible!! Probably due to the large amount of weight very close to the face that made it uber low spin! I used one for 6 months and I couldn’t tell off the strike how far it was going. A bunker at our course was either easily carried or unreachable by me and I couldn’t tell you which was likely off the club!

Johnny Canuck
12th July 2022, 12:24 PM
I agree with Jack PG. The SLDR was almost Tour issue in performance. A bit like a Brazilian Super model. When it was good…it was great, but when it was bad….it was terrible!! Probably due to the large amount of weight very close to the face that made it uber low spin! I used one for 6 months and I couldn’t tell off the strike how far it was going. A bunker at our course was either easily carried or unreachable by me and I couldn’t tell you which was likely off the club!

I compare the SLDR to the old Adams 9015D.

When struck in the middle, there’s nothing better. Unfortunately, I benefit from having a bit more forgiveness as I couldn’t access the sweet spot often enough. I’m also a very low spin player, and need something that spins a bit more.

Matt 3 Jab
12th July 2022, 12:48 PM

Its a TM driver, their business model (from where I sit) is providing the average punter with something blingy that their research suggests you will hit further. What did they get wrong with this for say an 18 marker.

I've got one in the cupboard of broken dreams but can't recall it being any more difficult to hit than previous iterations.Yeah it was very low spin. It may have been the loft up marketing one. They went too low spin for the average player.

I'm keen to try one again.

I had a 9016D that was low spin but it went out of the middle!

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

LeftyHoges
12th July 2022, 01:19 PM
TSi2 with Project X HZRDUS Green in the Lefty.

Cobra Fly-Z with Graffaloy ProLaunch Blue in the Righty.

BobsYourUncle
12th July 2022, 03:40 PM
Sim2 9* for me. Was with a ventus velocore 6x, but have recently changed back to a 1" tipped atmos black 6s - sacrificing a little distance for a lot of control. Also using my 3 wood (mizuno st190ts) a lot more these days, mainly due to the courses I'm playing.

Webster
12th July 2022, 04:07 PM

Pretty much what the other lads have said. It's a very consistent but rather unforgiving club. A faders club really with the low spin, I find it takes the left side out of play completely and is ultra reliable (for me anyway).

I've tried some of the newer models but I find them too light and inconsistent, notwithstanding that they may go a bit further. My game plan needs me to be in the fairway, and the SLDR does that for me better than anything I've ever used before (that wasn't made of wood). If you are a slogger/home run hitter, then you'd probably be better off with an M2 or SIM, but for whatever the distance gains, you'll likely give them back by being frequently in the forest/water/shizen etc.

petethepilot
12th July 2022, 05:13 PM
Jack,
I know you won’t but the Ping G425 LST would be ideal for you! You would hate the sound and the industrial frying pan look…but it is so damn consistent for a ball striker who likes a low spin fade!

virge666
12th July 2022, 10:26 PM
Cobra F9 for me... that is if i ever play golf again.

Toxic
14th July 2022, 06:27 AM
The new Titleist TSr4 driver is out.
No idea how to upload pics from a mobile but it looks sensational

Lucasto23
18th July 2022, 11:06 PM
The new Titleist TSr4 driver is out.
No idea how to upload pics from a mobile but it looks sensational

If I was a half decent ball striker, I would eat one of them up for sure

PerryGroves
19th July 2022, 11:53 AM
Pretty much what the other lads have said. It's a very consistent but rather unforgiving club. A faders club really with the low spin, I find it takes the left side out of play completely and is ultra reliable (for me anyway).

I've tried some of the newer models but I find them too light and inconsistent, notwithstanding that they may go a bit further. My game plan needs me to be in the fairway, and the SLDR does that for me better than anything I've ever used before (that wasn't made of wood). If you are a slogger/home run hitter, then you'd probably be better off with an M2 or SIM, but for whatever the distance gains, you'll likely give them back by being frequently in the forest/water/shizen etc.

Thanks Jack, might get it out of the cupboard and put it in the Jones golf bag with my old Ping 1 iron, the Wilson 8802 and the alignment sticks..........then go sit at the bar.

petethepilot
19th July 2022, 02:26 PM
Thanks Jack, might get it out of the cupboard and put it in the Jones golf bag with my old Ping 1 iron, the Wilson 8802 and the alignment sticks..........then go sit at the bar.

Perry,
you would get more street cred with the Power Pod! (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/310387174927)

Hatchman
20th July 2022, 08:55 AM
I got on the SLDR train very early when they came out. After using it for a few months I picked up a Jetspeed when they were clearing them out for peanuts. Compared the 2 with the same shaft and loft settings. Found the Jetspeed launched a lot lower. Also tried the JDM SLDR 430. That was a great driver that I wish I had kept. Only moved it on as it had good currency still at the time.
I didn’t find the SLDR to be massively unforgiving like many claim. Only stopped using it after trying a BiO Cell+ and that was only retired after hitting the Titleist TS2.
Tried and wanted to like the F9 but it was a complete pig. In the F9’s defence it didn’t have its original shaft. Need to find a better matching shaft and/or add weight to the head as when testing against the TS2 on my scales the F9 was heaps light.

DMG
20th July 2022, 02:49 PM
Most recent for me have been the G425LST and TSi2.

TSi2 appears to be more forgiving on huge mishits, but it's a really close call on minor mishits. Despite the LST being the low spin variant, it's still PING forgiving. Sound is far better with the TSi2, but the the LST isn't as 'loud' as the MAX variant, so really isn't all that bad from my perspective. The LST also feels very solid. Good strikes with either will go roughly the same distance for me, but I don't hit them very far so I'm not finding the limits of either driver. Higher flight with the TSi2 as you would expect. I'm toying with the idea of the LST being my windy weather club, and using the TSi2 when the conditions are better.

For my game, the G425MAX would likely be the best fit... but I just can't come at the noise. Each to their own I guess.

gazgolf1
23rd July 2022, 01:48 PM

Cobra gorn picked up a TM Sim 2 to try during the week. I have never gotten along with Cobra drivers and the tradition has continued, back to TM.

sfdoddsy
27th July 2022, 11:11 PM
TM Stealth. Replacing a Tsi2.

I was fitted at Pureform during one of their 1/2 price promotions and the numbers were notably better than the other new drivers and slightly better than my Tsi2. SMash Factor was down a bit, ball speed was up a bit.

I'm always somewhat dubious about such 'improvements' as I've done a few fittings over the years and had pretty much the same 'winning' numbers with a different driver each time.

However I like the look, feel and sound of the Stealth better than my TSi2. It reminds me of my much loved TM R7 for some reason. So I bought a used one with their shaft recommendation, then swapped that out for the funky VA Vylyn with no real difference.

I think Trackman numbers are optimistic compared to on course numbers, especially at course like my local (Moore Park) which has no run, but I've hit a couple of drives as long as I've hit anything in the past 10 years and it feels like there is a bit less drop-off on toe hits (my miss) than the TSi2.

Feel and sound are big improvements, if not quite as pleasant as the Callaway Rogue LS.

The only bummer is that due to the face, everyone you play with immediately knows you have a fancy and pricey new driver.

First tee duck hooks are even more embarassing.

Pencil
1st August 2022, 04:06 PM
Just changed out my 9015D for a Rogue LS, seems to go alright, hate the sound.

henno
1st August 2022, 04:27 PM
Marketing aside, did meaningful, objectively measurable gains in driver tech peak in about 2008? I have drivers from all sorts of moments since then and none of them are measurably better than the other.

PeteyD
1st August 2022, 06:08 PM
New and shiny.

Sent from my SM-T870 using Tapatalk

Matt 3 Jab
1st August 2022, 07:00 PM
Marketing aside, did meaningful, objectively measurable gains in driver tech peak in about 2008? I have drivers from all sorts of moments since then and none of them are measurably better than the other.TM burner 07 TP tour heads. All time.

I recently got fitted into a Stealth plus but I think the shaft had a lot more to do with it all

Sookie1
1st August 2022, 07:49 PM
Still can't go past my sim. Especially on a course where you might use driver six times a round. Bang for buck is just not there. So this may have changed. Got the Ping G425 max in the bag now.

Dazza
1st August 2022, 08:48 PM
TM burner 07 TP tour heads. All time. I recently got fitted into a Stealth plus but I think the shaft had a lot more to do with it allSent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk Drivers I wish I'd never sold- 07 Burner TP Version 1.

Johnny Canuck
2nd August 2022, 12:11 AM
Drivers I wish I'd never sold- 07 Burner TP Version 1.

I've kept one of these in the shed. Some things you just can't let go!

simmsy
2nd August 2022, 07:14 AM

Adams 9032 for me.

henno
2nd August 2022, 06:44 PM

I still have one in 9.5*. It's not going anywhere.
That and the TMTBTPWB. They are the litmus test to which all other drivers are compared, for me.

Adams 9032 for me.

Actually, I have one of these also :oops:

simmsy
2nd August 2022, 07:21 PM
ahahahhaa. if you ever sell it let me know. not sure i would buy but never know.

dM.
2nd August 2022, 08:21 PM
Tour burner TP version. Possibly the best I ever had. Mind you OG R11 was pretty good. Def miss the chalky white driver heads.

Matt 3 Jab
3rd August 2022, 08:02 AM
Drivers I wish I'd never sold- 07 Burner TP Version 1.I bought one off here and used for ages. Tour issue 9.5 T serial short toe groove. The whole shabang.

Sold it somewhere. But seriously good drivers

petethepilot
3rd August 2022, 10:21 AM
TM Stealth. Replacing a Tsi2.

I was fitted at Pureform during one of their 1/2 price promotions and the numbers were notably better than the other new drivers and slightly better than my Tsi2. SMash Factor was down a bit, ball speed was up a bit.

I'm always somewhat dubious about such 'improvements' as I've done a few fittings over the years and had pretty much the same 'winning' numbers with a different driver each time.

However I like the look, feel and sound of the Stealth better than my TSi2. It reminds me of my much loved TM R7 for some reason. So I bought a used one with their shaft recommendation, then swapped that out for the funky VA Vylyn with no real difference.

I think Trackman numbers are optimistic compared to on course numbers, especially at course like my local (Moore Park) which has no run, but I've hit a couple of drives as long as I've hit anything in the past 10 years and it feels like there is a bit less drop-off on toe hits (my miss) than the TSi2.

Feel and sound are big improvements, if not quite as pleasant as the Callaway Rogue LS.

The only bummer is that due to the face, everyone you play with immediately knows you have a fancy and pricey new driver.

First tee duck hooks are even more embarassing.

classic Ozgolf there from Doddsy!

Webster
3rd August 2022, 10:59 AM
The ongoing fascination with additional length is always amusing, but if you can't hit the big dog straight almost all of the time then spending big on the latest and greatest is a waste of money.

markTHEblake
3rd August 2022, 11:17 AM
Its easy to say that when you are an old flusher.

Webster
3rd August 2022, 11:18 AM
I'm not that old.

sms316
3rd August 2022, 12:35 PM
I'm not that old. Yes you are. You can play seniors now (in NSW where they have the age minimum correct).

Sydney Hacker
3rd August 2022, 06:17 PM
I'm not that old. Can’t add the seniors championship to your bag for this year?

Webster
3rd August 2022, 09:10 PM
Yes you are. You can play seniors now (in NSW where they have the age minimum correct).

No interest in wasting 5 hours with those homos.

markTHEblake
3rd August 2022, 09:48 PM
the ladies are included now - you can play with them

Dazza
3rd August 2022, 10:45 PM
I bought one off here and used for ages. Tour issue 9.5 T serial short toe groove. The whole shabang. Sold it somewhere. But seriously good driversSent from my HD1907 using TapatalkYeah I bought it. Can't recall where it ended up.

Planet Golf
4th August 2022, 11:57 AM
I have a Srixon Z785 with Accra and a standard Mavrik (not @doddsy flash blackout model) with Graphite Design (which was Doddsys).

The Mavrik is the best feeling and sounding driver I have used. TSi3 a close second, but could never find the middle of the bastard.

Srixon drivers the best value for sure, spend the extra on an upcharge shaft!

jwags
6th August 2022, 09:07 AM
I got fitted for the new TSR last week and ended up in the TSR2 with stock hazards 4th gen. I picked up 40 meters of total distance over the TSI3 I was gaming. Turns out a proper fitting is worth it lol. The TSII3 was to low spin for me. TSR2 got my launch up to increase my overall distance. Also ended up in a TSR2 18* fairway which I was hitting further off the deck then the TSI3 off a tee. Can’t wait to get them in the bag and see how they go on the course.

dM.
6th August 2022, 01:57 PM
Where did you get fit?

petethepilot
6th August 2022, 02:18 PM
I got fitted for the new TSR last week and ended up in the TSR2 with stock hazards 4th gen. I picked up 40 meters of total distance over the TSI3 I was gaming. Turns out a proper fitting is worth it lol. The TSII3 was to low spin for me. TSR2 got my launch up to increase my overall distance. Also ended up in a TSR2 18* fairway which I was hitting further off the deck then the TSI3 off a tee. Can’t wait to get them in the bag and see how they go on the course.

40 metres!!?? Was that on their launch monitor or out on the course?
If it is out on the course, your previous setup must have been awful for you!

jwags
6th August 2022, 03:49 PM
40 metres!!?? Was that on their launch monitor or out on the course?If it is out on the course, your previous setup must have been awful for you! It was outdoor fitting with Pro v’s and trackman. I work for Titleist so I was lucky enough to be one of the first in Australia to get fitted.

jwags
6th August 2022, 03:51 PM
40 metres!!?? Was that on their launch monitor or out on the course?If it is out on the course, your previous setup must have been awful for you! Previous setup was a shorter shaft 44.75 in X flex and they fitted me to standard 45.5 length in stiff flex. I haven’t been playing much so my swing speed has gone to mush. So going from a TSI3 to TSR2 at a higher loft helped me launch better hence the 40 meter increase.

markTHEblake
6th August 2022, 04:42 PM
Where did the 40m come from, as in which metrics were improved?. Neither 3/4 an inch nor a softer shaft could result in such gains.

jwags
6th August 2022, 06:38 PM
Where did the 40m come from, as in which metrics were improved?. Neither 3/4 an inch nor a softer shaft could result in such gains. For full transparency I hit maybe a total of 6 drives with my old set up. Then started hitting the new driver with more loft and longer softer shaft. I would say that if I hit my old driver at the end of the fitting again when I was swinging better and warmed up then the gains would not have been 40 meters. So from my longest drive of the 6 shots with my old set up to my best drive with the new set up I gained 40 meters. I gained 8 mph balls speed from old driver to new and my spin went from 3000 to 2500.

Matt 3 Jab
6th August 2022, 08:01 PM
I went and got fitted the other day at cool clubs. Massive thing for me was I got fitted for the cut I'm trying to hit off the tee now. Once we got that dialled in, I hit some draws which went way longer but like people have said, no point hitting it 300 into the rubbish

So between my cut fairway finder and the bomb, there was 600+ revs spin and 20 metres easily

Jerrymoo
6th August 2022, 10:22 PM
Anyone using the Cobra LTDx LS?

Daves
11th August 2022, 02:46 PM
I have been running a G425 Max 10.5* and a Stealth + 10.5* in my bag for the last few rounds. From my Game golf stats I can see that there is virtually nothing between them on ultimate distance. The Ping wins on consistency and feel. Both are noticeably different to their respective previous models in sound/feel. I find the Stealth gives almost zero feedback off the Carbon face and dispersion is relatively poor. Lots of straight left shots for me, which I am putting down the the twist face effect.

The Typical Ping sound is no more. Can't say I am a great fan of the new sound, but I don't dislike it either. Unlike the TM, the G425 still gives good feedback and is quite workable, though nothing like a G30 imo. The Gear Effect Toe Hit shot is very effective though, I have found.

Prior to the comparison with the Stealth, I ran the G425 against a G410 Plus and a Cobra Radspeed XB. There was very little between the two Pings. In fact my GG data for them is almost identical on all metrics. The pick here would be based on the price and the sound/feel differences.

The Radspeed went OK, but could not quite keep up with the Ping. Again there wasn't a lot between them on the metrics. Like the Stealth, the Radspeed kept up with the Ping on ultimate distance, but could not match it for consistency and accuracy.

I need to head to head the Stealth with the Radspeed at opportunity. I think it will be very close.

Other observations.

I am not a fan of the Stealth Plus weight channel (easily clogs with debris etc) and overall finish/quality is only average.

I have tried two shafts in the Stealth, an RDX Red 60g Reg, and a Diamana Black Ltd 60 Reg (a SIM 2 stock shaft that came with it as an extra). Not much difference for me.

The Ping Alta Black CB 55 in the G425 feels exactly the same as the Alta CB Red 55 in the G410 (both stiff).

The Cobra came with a PX Cypher 40 6.0, which I am not a big fan of. After a few rounds, I switched in a Black Smoke 60 6.0 which improved it a little.

I also have an Epic Max (prior model Callaway), to run against these Drivers at opportunity.

Ferrins
12th August 2022, 07:25 AM
No interest in wasting 5 hours with those homos.

Played one of these events and I think you have hit the mark with that comment.

markTHEblake
12th August 2022, 07:58 AM
Played one of these events and I think you have hit the mark with that comment. Well if you wear tight small shorts and a muscle shirt to golf you gonna attract that kind of attention.

stevem109r
12th August 2022, 05:49 PM
I just purchased an Epic speed. Was the shop demo, only hit with tape on. Very good price. And very easy to hit. Has the smoke IM10 mid shaft.

Johnny Canuck
12th August 2022, 06:09 PM
40 metres!!?? Was that on their launch monitor or out on the course?
If it is out on the course, your previous setup must have been awful for you!

I gained 27 yards of carry for that exact reason. My old setup was way too low spin.

Enjoyed reading some of your comments on the Top 100 Course list last night Pete. Just checking out where we are playing for our Melb trip next year.

BrisVegas
27th July 2023, 01:34 PM
Marketing aside, did meaningful, objectively measurable gains in driver tech peak in about 2008? I have drivers from all sorts of moments since then and none of them are measurably better than the other.

great question!

davepuppies
28th July 2023, 07:46 AM
I recently upgraded from a Taylormade Sim 2 to a stealth 2.

Went from 10.5 degrees (adjusted to 9) to 9 degrees (adjusted to 7.5)

Ball flight far stronger, no ballooning

On course I am 15-20 meters further.

This is likely a product of the lower loft, but possibly head helps a little.

Kelsey86
28th July 2023, 08:40 AM
None currently, I need to either replace the shaft in my M5 or just get a whole new driver. In the meantime my TSi3 3 wood is doing the job. Forgot all about this, ended up with a tsi3 with hzrdus smoke black RDX 70g 6.5. Got in in around September last year. It's been great and probably won't change it for a while

markTHEblake
28th July 2023, 10:43 AM
great question!

Henno be right. the COR limit means that the ball cannot go further. Now its all about optimising spin and launch, which can lead to significant gain, as well as minimising the damage from off centre hits (3puttpetes special area of expertise)
When TM introduced their carbon faced marvel, everyone was claiming more distance, but i think in time all seem to agree there was none. From memory i think TM added 1/2" of shaft length to their standard or at least one of the guys that had demoed admitted that the distance gain was probably due to the length.

I think replacing a driver once ever 6 years or so is probably the wise choice.

BrisVegas
28th July 2023, 11:29 AM
I think replacing a driver once ever 6 years or so is probably the wise choice.

So I'm due.

pt73
30th July 2023, 07:39 PM
Yes you are. You can play seniors now (in NSW where they have the age minimum correct).
Not all seniors events in NSW have a 50yo minimum age.

Many are still 55 and older.