PDA

View Full Version : So I played some pennants today..even longer novel :) part 2

jaster
22nd August 2004, 06:22 PM
Last leg of the interclub pennants challenge against Ipswich at home, City GC needing to have 2 points out of the 5 to take the pennant in the first ever staging of this event.

Start off finding out I am playing #1 again and against the reigning club champion from Ipswich....great :roll:

All even after 9 holes, I was 2 up after 7 but stuffed it around on the last 2 holes capping it off with a stupid OB on the 9th....drove through the corner but was too far left :( The dude I was playing was close to the longest driver I have ever seen :shock: He actually drove it on nearly on the 360m 9th, granted there was a big wind but this drive went about 350m....all the other pennants players saw it and were dumb founded :? This guy is about 75kg and 6ft tall, used a Titleist 975lfe with a prototype gold shaft that he told me was a FUJI....scary stuff :shock:

Anyway, we half the 10th with a birdie, 11th, 12, 13, 14 with par....he hits too long on the 15th and nearly makes an up and down but I 2 putt par so I am 1 up. Hit a good drive on 16 and he hits again probably the biggest drive I have ever seen on this hole....only had 30m to the front on a 367m hole. I nearly hole my 60° from 80m (lips out to 5ft downhill) and he leaves and misses a 9ft putt bird and I stick mine in the centre, DORMIE.

The 17th is 480m all uphill, and playing into a stiff breeze...I bust driver 3 wood to 20m short and hit a poor chip to 2 putt par...he hits driver 3 wood to the front edge and makes an easy up and down birdie....1up with 1 to play.

He hits driver on 18 and skys it to the right trees, lucky for him otherwise he would have put it in the creek that runs in front of the 18th green, this creek is 360m from the tee (downhill) and a massive drive. I hit a great driver (for me anyway) to leave myself 90m to the pin. We get to his ball and he is stuck behind a tree approx 90m from the green, plays a great shot that gets over the creek but is short by 30m. I hit 54° to the middle of the green but it spins back and the PIN is at the back leaving a tough 30ft putt of a massive ridge. He hits the his 3rd to the back of the green just off about 18ft from the pin. I leave my putt about 7ft short :cry: :x across a weird ridge. He lips out his chip, actually had a big chance to go in and I nearly died....I calmly stroke the par in for a 2UP win!!! WOOHOO!!

2 other guys won, we win the day 3/2 and win the pennants 6.5 matches from a possible 10....Middle ridge finish with 4.5 and Ipswich 4....apparently the first DIV 1 comp that City have won in a very long time so there was free beer and softy after the game to celebrate :wink:

Thanks for reading :P I am still trying to calm down after the last few holes!! Also trying to comprehend just how long this guy was, just plain scary and he was pretty accurate for being so long. Not bad for using a 2nd generation driver :lol:

goughy
22nd August 2004, 06:32 PM
Onya mate. I knew you could do it.

Can't even fathom how long that guy must have been. It's bad enough giving you 30 to 50 mtrs every drive, but 100+ mtrs every time would be too much.

All that work has paid off this penants season mate. Now it's time to get to work on that hc. :D

jaster
22nd August 2004, 06:57 PM
I am probably going to have a break now to reassess goals, bag (gotta get the ping ;)) and also just recover in general!! Having played 9 Sundays out of the last 13 I am not in the good books at home :wink: :lol:

amanda
22nd August 2004, 07:04 PM
Woohoo - great job Jaster :D

goughy
22nd August 2004, 07:28 PM
I am probably going to have a break now to reassess goals, bag (gotta get the ping ;)) and also just recover in general!! Having played 9 Sundays out of the last 13 I am not in the good books at home :wink: :lol:

I fully understand that one mate. Rob's already going 'Are you gonna start golf again now'. I wouldn't like to be in your shoes at the mo.

Jarro
22nd August 2004, 07:36 PM
well done Jaster 8)

terryand
22nd August 2004, 07:50 PM
Well done Jaster,great scoring, or should I say great match playing :smt023

Terry.

AndyP
22nd August 2004, 07:58 PM
Well done, Jaster. Perhaps you could find some time now to have a couple of rounds with your fellow Ozgolfers. :wink:

:?: Do you think you would put as much detail into your "novel" if you were to have a negative result?

jaster
22nd August 2004, 08:14 PM
Well done, Jaster. Perhaps you could find some time now to have a couple of rounds with your fellow Ozgolfers. :wink:

We'll see ;) don't forget we have the 16 September to look forward to!! 8)

:?: Do you think you would put as much detail into your "novel" if you were to have a negative result?

With todays match being so competitive I probably would have still wrote a novel, we both agreed after the game that it was a very enjoyable day and the result in the end couldn't change that! He was a really nice guy, did I mention that he could hit the ball a mile? :lol:

AndyP
22nd August 2004, 08:17 PM
don't forget we have the 16 September to look forward to!! 8)
Please tell me that you mean the 18th or 19th? You're scaring me. :?

jaster
22nd August 2004, 08:24 PM

LOL...yeah I mean the 19th, I am playing a scramble on the 16th :lol:

AndyP
22nd August 2004, 08:29 PM

LOL...yeah I mean the 19th, I am playing a scramble on the 16th :lol:
Phew. Crisis Over. :)

Eag's
23rd August 2004, 08:43 AM
Well played jaster :wink: you sound like a tuff nut to crack in matchplay.

McMw
23rd August 2004, 09:34 AM
yeah - great stuff!!!

wished I had just 20% of your m/play mentality...then I might just be able to get past the first round!!! :oops:

nick
23rd August 2004, 09:43 AM
Well done big fella.

Nick

Iain
23rd August 2004, 12:47 PM
Well done Jaster. :smt023 :smt038

Flowergirl
24th August 2004, 08:32 AM
Jaster
WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and what a great report. I had to keep stopping myself from reading the result...........I so wanted you to win. Very happy for you.
:smt039
And don't worry about your wife. If she wasn't mad at you about playing too much golf she'd find something else to be mad about!!! - us women are like that!!! We gotta keep you blokes on your toes :wink: :smt023