PDA

View Full Version : Kooyonga GC

AndyP
9th October 2006, 10:41 AM
Andrew has been kind enough to do a review of Kooyonga for us.

Have a read: http://www.ozgolf.net/modules.php?name=Reviews&file=viewarticle&op=newarticle&id=10

---------------------

Andrew, I haven't played any golf in SA. Where does this course rate in the state?

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i317/Zarm/Kooyonga%20GC/th_Kooyonga17th.jpg (http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i317/Zarm/Kooyonga%20GC/Kooyonga17th.jpg)

The 17th green, with its pond close in to the right of the green, is the picture the club uses on its card, on the front page of the club’s web site and in the clubhouse, seemingly in an attempt to make it a ‘signature’ hole. It is hard to work out why, as it is by far the worst green complex on the course.
Why is it the worst complex? Please explain.

marcel
9th October 2006, 01:52 PM
Andrew, I haven't played any golf in SA. Where does this course rate in the state?

AndyP,

It is generally considered to rank #2 in SA, behind Royal Adelaide, in front of The Grange (W)

Andrew
9th October 2006, 02:44 PM
Where does this course rate in the state?

Why is it the worst complex? Please explain.

Marcel is correct in saying it rates #2 behind RA, although it will be interesting to see where it rates in a couple of years time when the work at The Grange West is completed & fully grown it. It really looks good.

Andy,

I would have gone into more detail in the review, but I was trying to keep my word count down.

The green complexes at Kooyonga are quite good. Although, some of the bunkering is not to my taste, most of it is functional & has a consistency about it.

Strategically, it sets up fine, as the easiest side of the fairway to hit is the right side (Fairway bunker on the left side of the fairway), so it stands to reason that much of the trouble around the green should be on the right side.

This green, like many at Kooyonga, has been re-done over the last 10 years (possibly by Graeme Grant). It is in the same position as the original, but the pond has been added to the front right & a bunker at the back.

You will see in the photo that there is a typically Adelaide style dune behind the green. It would have been quite easy to slightly raise the green & push it back against the dune. The back right of the green would be hard against the dune, with the front right being heavily bunkered. The ‘meat’ of the green would be front left, with the tougher pin positions being back right. With the dune as a back stop, the golfer would feel encouraged to play boldly at the pin, even when having to fly deep bunkers. It would encourage a much wider range of scores.

The green as it is, doesn’t not sit naturally in the landscape, because it is slightly forward of the dune. Ponds, like the one front right, just do not exist naturally in this sandy landscape & it serves no other purpose that well designed bunkers couldn’t do better.

On a good note, they do have sterilised combs & hair dryers in the members locker rooms. This scores them some points, although they lost some for serving up the worst squash & bitters I’ve ever tasted.

Speirsy11
9th October 2006, 03:03 PM
I'm a big fan of this course, although I've found that at times it is too tough, especially when the wind blows.......It's a great course to play, but playing it every day would really wear on you at times......

I'm not 100% in agreement about the par 4's, as although they are close in yardages, the way they play gives them a feel of great diversity. There are 2 truely drivable par 4's (5 and 18 ), and several that require a longer iron in when the prevailing wind is blowing. One thing I noticed in the 5 rounds I've played there this year is that I hit a large variety of irons into greens, instead of repeated 8i-sw like I do on so many other courses........I agree 100% that the par 3's at Kooyie are among the best around, well designed and incredibly tough bunkering.....

All in all I'm a fan of this course as a Tournament site, but I'd be hard pressed to play it every day......

Speirsy

Moe Norman
9th October 2006, 03:08 PM
the Grant bunkers are horrific, worse than a Cashmore effort.

can't people just build stuff that looks like it was there the day the course was built, or at least try to?

Andrew
9th October 2006, 03:31 PM
the Grant bunkers are horrific, worse than a Cashmore effort.

can't people just build stuff that looks like it was there the day the course was built, or at least try to?

Moe,

Cashmore's 'bathtubs' to the left of the 5th green at Commonwealth are worse.

The few bunkers that Grant did at the East course at the Grange are pretty average as well.

Speirsy,

I can't say I felt the course was overly tough, but there is a seductive quality to the course where the golfer can find themselves a few over their handicap without realising they were playing poorly. I don't mind that 'gentleman' quality in a course.

Speirsy11
9th October 2006, 03:40 PM
Speirsy,

I can't say I felt the course was overly tough, but there is a seductive quality to the course where the golfer can find themselves a few over their handicap without realising they were playing poorly. I don't mind that 'gentleman' quality in a course.

I agree, but the last 3 times I've played it the wind was up and holes like 10 and 14 were playing like par 6's.......It really wore me out, even though I'd been playing really well going into those rounds (69 at Glenelg the day before the last time I was there).......

Like I said, great course, but from the tips in the wind, REALLY tough.....

Moe Norman
9th October 2006, 07:49 PM
Moe,

Cashmore's 'bathtubs' to the left of the 5th green at Commonwealth are worse. Not sure if he's reponsible, but that thing on 6 and those craters on 14 are more offensive than the bathtubs.

Augusta has bathtubs, so they must be good!