PDA

View Full Version : Wedge fitting

bdoug10
31st May 2022, 03:36 PM
Ok I’m going for a wedge fitting tomorrow. In my mind I’m thinking 3 wedges gap, sand and lob. Any questions I should be asking or things I can know to make the fitting run smoother?

AndyP
31st May 2022, 04:53 PM
Maybe an understanding of loft, grind, and bounce, not that I do. I should get a wedge fitting too, but I can't justify that much money on a few clubs.

noren
31st May 2022, 06:44 PM
Bounce and lie angle is probably what's important for us weekend hackers. Know whether you're a sweeper or a digger determine how much bounce you need and the correct lie angle will help with the push or pull.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

3Puttpete
31st May 2022, 06:54 PM
Should you be carrying a lob wedge?

bdoug10
31st May 2022, 06:57 PM
Should you be carrying a lob wedge? Currently have a 54 and 58. Use the 54 for half shots and chipping around the green. The 58 I use out of bunkers or open it up for flop shots, pretty consistent hitting a flop unless it’s off a tight lie

backintheswing
31st May 2022, 06:58 PM
I would just buy jado's sm9's

bdoug10
31st May 2022, 06:59 PM
Bounce and lie angle is probably what's important for us weekend hackers. Know whether you're a sweeper or a digger determine how much bounce you need and the correct lie angle will help with the push or pull.Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk Pretty sure I’m a sweeper, don’t take divots on normal shots. Been trying to get the divot after the ball but gave for now. Will revisit that part later in the year when I can put the practise in to hit down more

Johnny Canuck
31st May 2022, 08:14 PM
The person doing the fitting should cover everything if they are any good at their job. Know how far you hit your PW and what your ideal gapping situation will be.

I use my lob wedge mainly for sand and shots around the green where I need to get it up quickly. I focused on those areas when trying the lobbies.

I basically tried to use the clubs in the fitting the way that I would use them the majority of the time on the course.

Toxic
31st May 2022, 09:48 PM
Are the wedge shafts the same length as your irons?

EG: 1/2 inch over??

markTHEblake
1st June 2022, 09:14 AM
If he suggests 4 degree gaps, ask why.

Some wedges are set up same length, therefore the distance gap is reduced if loft increments are not increased. Plus, distance gaps narrow in long clubs and widen in short irons ( ping specifically recognises this)

I have 5 degree gaps from LW(58) down to 8(38)iron... result is 1 less club.

Salesman not gonna tell you this.

bdoug10
1st June 2022, 10:06 AM
All done. Ended up with a 50/08, 54/10 58/08 can’t reminder grinds.Was a good experience and glad I did it. The difference in the same loft but different bounce was bigger then I thought it would be. I asked not to be told what club I was given. At one point it was a high bounce 54 or 56 and straight away I didn’t like it (shot was a 50m pitch) could see the leading edge and all confidence evaporated

bdoug10
1st June 2022, 10:10 AM
If he suggests 4 degree gaps, ask why.Some wedges are set up same length, therefore the distance gap is reduced if loft increments are not increased. Plus, distance gaps narrow in long clubs and widen in short irons ( ping specifically recognises this)I have 5 degree gaps from LW(58) down to 8(38)iron... result is 1 less club.Salesman not gonna tell you this.He went with let’s get a club for this distance rather then just loft gaps.Hit shots from 100m, 90m, 80m, 50m then flicks over bunker, bunker shots, half wedges.The 50 was an easy pick I hit it pretty good straight away for the 90m shot. 54 chosen for 80m and if the rough is thick. The hardest getting the last one, 58 was chosen over a 60 i had to try hit to hard to get the 50m shot. Wasn’t much difference out of bunkers for me with 58 vs 60. I really need to work on bunkers hitting way to far behind the ball. Was told try hit the bottom of the ball and that worked better but hard for me to adjust my aim point to so close to the ball, felt like I would knife it

supo67
1st June 2022, 02:29 PM
bounce suited to your swing, if ur a digger then higher bounce might suit better and if ur a swooper........... less bounce, thats what i find ive a steep angle attack and low bounces wedge for me as a rule,........................suck.