PDA

View Full Version : Srixon ZX Irons

Hatchman
30th May 2022, 08:40 AM
Looking for some first hand experience/feedback on the current Srixon ZX irons. In particular the ZX7 v ZX5 models.
Was poking around in the shops recently particularly looking at the latest Titleist range but the Srixon ZX7’s really caught my eye and the price points of Srixon irons is so much cheaper that Titleist, TM and Callaway who seem to use the Petrol competition price system [emoji849]. This has me seriously thinking of jumping on the Srixon train with a set 3-9iron or 4-9iron with Modus 3 120’s.

AD23
30th May 2022, 08:46 AM
Sensational heads - have built many sets of them. ZX5 a little more forgiving on off centre strikes. ZX7 still has a bit of help for a miss but not as much as the 5. A proficient ball striker can easily play the 7’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benno_r
30th May 2022, 08:48 AM
I have been using zx5's for a while now. Love the look of the 7s but the 5s are just so easy to hit.

Dactyloscopy Dan
30th May 2022, 09:12 AM
I have had the zx7s for almost a year. I absolutely love them. There is still enough forgiveness in them (I am 8.2 at the moment, but been 3 strokes either side of that at various points). I have the Modus 120 stiff shafts in them. They look great and play great and are rarer than others. I had titty AP2 718s prior and love these infinitely more. A mate has the zx5s and loves them. They are just uglier with the thick sole IMO so I am prepared to play worse but have sticks I like.I like em enough that I keep searching marketplace for a cheap banged up 2nd set to split between course locker and carboot for sneaky short notice practice hitsEdit - for some reason the PW is fugly as the topline seems thicker and not right. This does not happen with any other clubs, so just might be me

Dactyloscopy Dan
30th May 2022, 09:18 AM
Just read your 3-9 or 4-9 last sentence, so the ugly PW is moot.

When I bought online, they only had 5-PW in zx7 stiff, so that Is what I bought. The lofts seem fairly standard, but the 5 iron is long and low traj for me so I am not even carrying a 4i anymore even though I originally thought I would source one later. I bought their 3 driving iron in the end instead.

3Puttpete
30th May 2022, 10:02 AM
Looking for some first hand experience/feedback on the current Srixon ZX irons. In particular the ZX7 v ZX5 models.
Was poking around in the shops recently particularly looking at the latest Titleist range but the Srixon ZX7’s really caught my eye and the price points of Srixon irons is so much cheaper that Titleist, TM and Callaway who seem to use the Petrol competition price system [emoji849]. This has me seriously thinking of jumping on the Srixon train with a set 3-9iron or 4-9iron with Modus 3 120’s.

The odd ZX5 are sweet. I can’t comment on the even numbered irons.

bdoug10
30th May 2022, 10:07 AM
Guys over at wrx think a new line might be on the way, if that changes your mind. I also just had a look and Drummond or golfbox show no stock online for z x5?

simmsy
30th May 2022, 10:17 AM
yep. loving my ZX5's great irons. at their price point nothing matches them.

Hatchman
30th May 2022, 11:07 AM
Guys over at wrx think a new line might be on the way, if that changes your mind. I also just had a look and Drummond or golfbox show no stock online for z x5?

That might be why the price is so attractive at near $60-80 cheaper per iron over the other 3 big brands for their top line irons.
I think they only had 5-PW on the shelf which leaves me with a dilemma for matching 3-4 iron. I don't use and hate hybrids so so having the long irons in the bag is a must as they are my low recovery clubs when there's a gap to the green. My wedge is an old 48 Cleveland so I never the wedge matching to the set.

Froggy
30th May 2022, 11:24 AM
I have had ZX7's for just over 6 months, cant fault them, might be showing no stock online, but speak to your local pro shop, im sure they could source

Hatchman
30th May 2022, 11:36 AM
Just read your 3-9 or 4-9 last sentence, so the ugly PW is moot.

When I bought online, they only had 5-PW in zx7 stiff, so that Is what I bought. The lofts seem fairly standard, but the 5 iron is long and low traj for me so I am not even carrying a 4i anymore even though I originally thought I would source one later. I bought their 3 driving iron in the end instead.

Interesting that you note you think the 5iron comes out a low trajectory.
It’s all relative to each individual what the consider low. A guy I played with on the weekend thought I hit my Cobra Amp Cell Pros high where as I think I don’t hit it high (7iron carry around 145m)
I went the lower flight route obsession for a few years gaming Ping i3 Blades over my Titleist 990’s. Having game that experiment I much rather the higher ball flight. There’s a big difference between high and spinning balloons into the wind that go nowhere v high and wind just holding it up 1-2 clubs.
The only way I’ll know where the X7’s sit is to get some.

Dactyloscopy Dan
30th May 2022, 11:38 AM
FB marketplace has a guy in Canberra asking $750 for zx7 5-9 stiff modus 120. Look mint too

Hatchman
30th May 2022, 11:42 AM
Cheers for tip off.
Unfortunately for me in this instance I’m not on and have never been on Facebook. That’s never changing.

BobsYourUncle
30th May 2022, 07:32 PM
I've got a z785 4 iron head in extremely good condition if that'd help complete a set

NewyMitch
30th May 2022, 07:34 PM
Another happy ZX user here. I use a ZX5/ZX7 combo with $-Taper 125 shafts. I also play a Z U85 for a 4 iron with the same shaft.

davidw88
31st May 2022, 09:28 PM
I had zx5 4 iron and 5 to pw zx7 great irons, used them for a year and a half which is long for me. Swapped to some Bridgestone 201cb as I wanted a change but will head back to srixon I’d say if a new line comes out.

AD23
31st May 2022, 09:29 PM
I had zx5 4 iron and 5 to pw zx7 great irons, used them for a year and a half which is long for me. Swapped to some Bridgestone 201cb as I wanted a change but will head back to srixon I’d say if a new line comes out.

The new line is due October-ish. Will be interesting to see what they do with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LeftyHoges
3rd June 2022, 01:53 PM
The odd ZX5 are sweet. I can’t comment on the even numbered irons.

I loathe you in ways you could never imagine.

ZX7 player here, couldn't be happier. Great feeling clubs at an awesome price point.

3Puttpete
3rd June 2022, 03:05 PM

ZX7 player here, couldn't be happier. Great feeling clubs at an awesome price point.

It’s hard to know if this is on topic

simmsy
3rd June 2022, 04:38 PM

So good that you've given up LH golf?

Dactyloscopy Dan
3rd June 2022, 04:38 PM
It’s hard to know if this is on topic Are you selling the evens, Pete?

BobsYourUncle
3rd June 2022, 04:45 PM
I'd love to see the Takomo 201s in person to see how they compare to the ZX7s - specs suggest slightly smaller heads and slightly less offset, but similar style of iron. Anyone want to be a guinea pig?
(https://takomogolf.com/iron-201/)

3Puttpete
3rd June 2022, 05:21 PM
Are you selling the evens, Pete?

I never bought them mate

LeftyHoges
3rd June 2022, 06:56 PM
It’s hard to know if this is on topicI like that you'll never know....
So good that you've given up LH golf?That's nothing to do with the clubs.

NewyMitch
27th June 2022, 07:17 PM
I'd love to see the Takomo 201s in person to see how they compare to the ZX7s - specs suggest slightly smaller heads and slightly less offset, but similar style of iron. Anyone want to be a guinea pig?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/185478990143?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=705-154756-20017-0&ssspo=sycqs9bjSIy&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=52fuHoONS2e&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

BobsYourUncle
28th June 2022, 03:37 PM
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/185478990143?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=705-154756-20017-0&ssspo=sycqs9bjSIy&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=52fuHoONS2e&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY Very tempting, but pick-up only

Flavzz
3rd February 2023, 09:40 PM
Is anyone playing zx4 in a full or combo set? I've generally played players cavity style irons but interested in gaining more distance and height in my longer irons and wondered what these are like. I'll eventually get to the range to try them. Was thinking zx4 4-6 iron and 7-P zx5.

thecollective
4th February 2023, 10:03 AM
Is anyone playing zx4 in a full or combo set? I've generally played players cavity style irons but interested in gaining more distance and height in my longer irons and wondered what these are like. I'll eventually get to the range to try them. Was thinking zx4 4-6 iron and 7-P zx5.

Problem is going to be gapping, the ZX 4’s have jacked lofts so to make it work you might need 2 X 5 irons.

Zx 5 full set would be a better option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Flavzz
4th February 2023, 10:33 AM
Problem is going to be gapping, the ZX 4’s have jacked lofts so to make it work you might need 2 X 5 irons.Zx 5 full set would be a better option Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro Understood. Or go full gramps spec and all ZX4!

3Puttpete
4th February 2023, 11:16 AM
Problem is going to be gapping, the ZX 4’s have jacked lofts so to make it work you might need 2 X 5 irons.

Zx 5 full set would be a better option

1 degree isn’t gonna make much difference

SundayHack
4th February 2023, 11:39 AM
1 degree isn’t gonna make much difference For a player of your ability it shouldn’t.

thecollective
4th February 2023, 12:44 PM
Understood. Or go full gramps spec and all ZX4!

You could go 6-PW zx 5 then maybe a zx 4 5 iron. Personally I would put in the 23 degree zx driving iron with a graphite shaft (that’s what I use and it’s a beast)

Flavzz
5th February 2023, 09:30 PM
I snuck into Drummond today and hit the ZX4. From address it looks very very tidy. You would barely know it's a GI club apart from the slightly thick top line but it's nowhere near offensive. I expected it to look much larger and chunkier. It really looks like how I remember a ZX5 iron would.

I gave it a quick head to head hit vs the new Ping G430 iron and surprisingly I much preferred the Ping. Felt much more stable and solid than the Srixon. The only issue was I hit the Srixon first (about 10 balls) and it took me a bit to warm up. I then hit 5 balls with he Ping warmed up so arguably not a fair comparison. Regardless this sparked my interest in Ping G series irons.

Flavzz
5th February 2023, 09:33 PM
ZX4 at address

petethepilot
6th February 2023, 09:54 AM
ZX4 at address

They are a bit toed in!

Flavzz
6th February 2023, 12:44 PM
They are a bit toed in! I was waiting for it.. ;)