PDA

View Full Version : putting prize

peter_rs
8th October 2006, 04:28 PM
OK just some feedback & so it doesn't take over the other thread

AndyP
8th October 2006, 04:36 PM
Didn't you already have a prize in mind?
Or is this a question as to whether there should be one or not?

Edit: Just noticed poll.

I think I would vote Sunday only. No point making someone play out a hole if they don't want to, if they have wiped from the tee.

peter_rs
8th October 2006, 04:42 PM
AP I do have the prize. its a whether or not question.

if you wipe a hole of the tee you may be happy with a automatic 3 putt ;)

peter_rs
8th October 2006, 04:49 PM
My reasoning is that the number of putts reflect where you are putting them on the greens, as well, not just the putting.

Some of PH's greens are massive, so if you are off target with approaches you could be in 4-putt territory...

Also, you could miss the green and be on the fringe, chip close and 1 putt. Another player is just on the green but in about the same spot, and two putts from there. Are they a worse putter? Sorry, I'm being pedantic.

I have seen guys that play like this... eg layup short and chip close because they are great chippers.

you blokes who have no iron game and can't hit a green will clean up - number of putts is ludicrous.

Yes and no I can 3 putt as easy from 5 feet as 50 feet. There is no good stat for putting (putts/GIR is more work and some don't get enough GIRs). If number of putts is not a good stat why do so many of us keep it.

Moe Norman
8th October 2006, 05:52 PM
i keep the putts stat because i'm too lazy to do it by GIR.

i do it in a simple excel file attached.

Edit: oh, apparently excel files can't be uploaded

just
8th October 2006, 06:35 PM
I say run it on the Sunday only. I think its a good idea, it all for fun anyway.
Just

PeteyD
8th October 2006, 06:54 PM
Sunday only. Don't count putts in stableford, seems rather stupid.

AndyP
8th October 2006, 08:43 PM
What happens if I use a wedge on a green? I did last time I played Pacific Harbour.
Is that a "putt"?

peter_rs
8th October 2006, 09:13 PM
simple rule any stroke made with a putting action when the ball lays on the green. Eg if you chip with a wedge not a putt. if you putt from of the green, it doesn't count. if you blade the midle of a ball because you are to lazy to use your putter its a putt ;)

goughy
8th October 2006, 09:14 PM
Depends on how you tried to play the shot. If it was a pitch or chip, then no. If you were just bellying the wedge cause you couldn't be bothered getting your putter, then yes, it's a putt.

I've seen vj use a wedge when the fringe and rough cut into a green and was inbetween his ball and the hole. I've seen phil hit a flop from a green up to a hole that was up another teir. It rolled back down and then he did it again succesfully. I wouldn't call either a putt.

But I've tapped a ball into a hole with a wedge after chipping up real close, but I don't do that in a comp. Only social. In a comp I'll get my putter to a 2 inch putt. I yip too much.

Flowergirl
8th October 2006, 09:50 PM
For cripes sakes.........a putt is a putt. Our club count putts as part of our comp whenever we play stroke. If it's on the green and you use your putter it's a putt. Off the green - it doesn't count. Use a chip shot it's a chip not a putt. Easy.

Yes..........have a novelty prize for the "worst" putter.Just means you are the "worst" cos you've had the most under the "rules" ( see above) of what is a putt. If you wipe when we are playing stableford you record it as three. We add up both days and the "loser" is the "winner".

Stop trying to complicate things.:twisted:

Pete - this is your baby and may I suggest that on the days that you compile the "winner" from the putting stats recorded on the cards and present the prize.

Ducky
8th October 2006, 11:32 PM
Although I can acknowledge it is in good fun, I think it is degrading. Are we going to give out prizes for players with the shortest driving distance, highest percentage of missed fairways, and so on?

The championships (as far as I am aware) are meant to be fun, and the last thing anyone should be doing is stressing over how good/bad they are performing simply to win (or avoid 'winning') awards.

We have all previously witnessed the fuss that goes with being labelled "OzGolf's Worst Putter", and I don't see any reason to repeat it. Some of you may see it as novelty, but I'm sure there are others that don't.

Jono
9th October 2006, 06:25 AM
It's like the wooden spoon prize, I guess. All for fun. :-D

shazza_rs
9th October 2006, 06:29 AM
Although I can acknowledge it is in good fun, I think it is degrading. Are we going to give out prizes for players with the shortest driving distance, highest percentage of missed fairways, and so on?

The championships (as far as I am aware) are meant to be fun, and the last thing anyone should be doing is stressing over how good/bad they are performing simply to win (or avoid 'winning') awards.

We have all previously witnessed the fuss that goes with being labelled "OzGolf's Worst Putter", and I don't see any reason to repeat it. Some of you may see it as novelty, but I'm sure there are others that don't.

Funny Ducky..... I don't see your name on this list of participants at the Champs..... so bugger off!

And if you have looked at previous years.... there has always been a wooden spoon for the player that comes last.... do you want us to get rid of that too?

Its just a bit of fun..... if the masses don't like it then it won't happen but this discussion is open to champs participants only.

Jarro
9th October 2006, 06:35 AM
maybe we could get an old putter and make some kind of perpetual trophy out of it ?

Jono
9th October 2006, 06:40 AM
maybe we could get an old putter and make some kind of perpetual trophy out of it ?

How about my Railgun putter? 8)

http://www.railgun.com/F75closeupb.htm

shazza_rs
9th October 2006, 06:42 AM
Jarro... Pete has already selected a putter and was going to get it mounted so it could be used as a perpetual trophy... thats if the idea was to go ahead.

Jarro
9th October 2006, 06:43 AM
sounds good :)

Jono
9th October 2006, 06:47 AM
Jarro... Pete has already selected a putter and was going to get it mounted so it could be used as a perpetual trophy... thats if the idea was to go ahead.

Hmm ... 12 vs 3 in favour of the idea so far. I say go for it. 8)

BrisWesty
9th October 2006, 06:57 AM
And if someone doesn't want to participate in that part of the frivolity they can just forget to write down their putts.

"Now if I can just five putt this hole I'm in with a chance to win the bronze putter."

Folks, it's just meant to be a fun weekend. Chill y'all.

peter_rs
9th October 2006, 07:39 AM
Pete - this is your baby and may I suggest that on the days that you compile the "winner" from the putting stats recorded on the cards and present the prize.

Happy to and I'm helping peteyd with the other scores anyway.

I just want to make sure that the majority are happy with the idea.

Flowergirl
9th October 2006, 09:43 AM
Forget about the majority - just do it!! Well done Peter. Great idea and you have my full support and that's the main thing!!:mrgreen:

PeteyD
9th October 2006, 10:14 AM
I'll add a putts column to the spreadsheets

Ducky
9th October 2006, 12:12 PM
Funny Ducky..... I don't see your name on this list of participants at the Champs..... so bugger off!
Get stuffed Shazza you mole.

macleod
9th October 2006, 12:18 PM
It's like the wooden spoon prize, I guess. All for fun. :-D
thanks jono...
that reminds me.... :D

the wounds are opened afresh....*sob* *snigger*

but i have that lovely FJ glove to show for my 'efforts' which makes me smile :lol:

Eag's
9th October 2006, 12:27 PM
Get stuffed Shazza you mole.

I hope you mean that affectionately Ducky :shock:

brad
9th October 2006, 12:36 PM
How about my Railgun putter? 8)

http://www.railgun.com/F75closeupb.htm

Wow something actually worse than the three ball ;) And you already had it :)

Bring on the putting comp, if you put a 3 putt maximum, you may need to share the trophy around. :razz:

It's all in fun so bring it on. It sort of like going to a work christmas party and having one of those mystery Santas. Not many take it seriously, and those that do should pull their heads in. :razz:

PeteyD
9th October 2006, 12:41 PM
Is this prize going to the best putter or the one that scores the most putts?

brad
9th October 2006, 12:43 PM
Is this prize going to the best putter or the one that scores the most putts?

Lets have both!

PeteyD
9th October 2006, 12:44 PM
If we need another ugly putter Jono's is available. I have a cut down one my son was using prior to getting his own I can add.

peter_rs
9th October 2006, 12:47 PM
Happy to do both if it keeps the masses happy.

peter_rs
9th October 2006, 12:48 PM
Its ok peteyd I have the perfect two putters I want to retire from my stable.

peter_rs
9th October 2006, 12:49 PM
I hope you mean that affectionately Ducky :shock:

WELL :evil:

:smt087 :smt085 don't hurt me ducky

peter_rs
12th October 2006, 03:32 PM
Before I start making the trophies. I want to know if this is going ahead only 19/42 answered the poll, as of today 16 want it in (assuming both days are happy with one) so if we can get at least 10 more the trophies will be on (Those who don't wish to be in just don't note putts on your card). SO CAN EVERYONE TRY AND REPLY BEFORE THE END OF THE WEEKEND.

There is a revamp to suit more it will be sunday only. The titles will be based on putts/holes putted (eg chip in's don't effect results). A putt is any stroke with a putter on the green.

Best Putter
Least number of putts/holes putted
(ln the event of a tie the most one putts will be the tie breaker.. still a tie then 2 putts etc)
Worst Putter
Most number of putts/holes putted
(ln the event of a tie the most three or more putts will be the tie breaker.. still a tie then 2 putts etc)

AS PER THOSE IN THE POLL THOSE WHO VOTE BOTH DAYS I GUESS ARE OK WITH ONE.
1. Amanda
2. Brad (IN)
3. Connico
4. Moe Norman (OUT)
5. Choppa
6. BrisVegas (OUT)
7. G69
8. Grunt (IN)
9. BrisWesty (IN)
10. Shavey (IN)
11. Bruce (IN)
12. Iain (IN)
13. AndyP (IN)
14. AndyLo (IN)
15. Flowergirl (IN)
16. Johnny Boy (IN)
17. Azza
18. Blake
19. CobraSS
20. Numbnuts
21. steverawlo
22. Davemason
23. Stoney (IN)
24. PeteyD (IN)
25. damoocow
26. Peter_rs (IN)
27. Shazza_rs (IN)
28. MacLeod
29. 990BLuva
30. Eag's (IN)
31. Jono (IN)
32. Rok31
33. dc68
34. poidda
35. just (IN)
36. prmeier
37. Ros meier
38. Rusty
39. Kee
40. gazgolf1
41. Ken Ichimiya
42. Jarro (OUT)

AndyP
12th October 2006, 03:38 PM
Chip ins don't count as a zero? That's harsh.

Grunt
12th October 2006, 03:39 PM
Yeah, how about a straight out least and most putts?

Jono
12th October 2006, 03:42 PM
Yeah, I agree. If chip to 1 inch and then a tap in counts as 1 putt, then a chip-in should count as zero putt. Keep things simple. 8)

peter_rs
12th October 2006, 04:08 PM
If you chip in on one hole you only putted on 17 holes . 2 Chip in's you only putted on 16 holes and so on. it effects the average. eg so someone with 34 putts & 2 chip in's has a higher putts/holes played then someone with 34 putts & no chip in's.

its just avgerage putts/hole. If you chip in then you didn't putt on that hole so it does effect the average.

Grunt
12th October 2006, 04:16 PM
nah should just be plain simple Most Putts & Least Putts, with the penalties for wipes.

AndyP
12th October 2006, 04:53 PM
So you get punished for being chipping it in the hole (not counted), but rewarded for chipping it very close (1 putt)?

peter_rs
12th October 2006, 05:06 PM
Grunt They did want it for the sat so we don't have to worry about wipes

So you get punished for being chipping it in the hole (not counted), but rewarded for chipping it very close (1 putt)?

Why should a chip in count in a putting contest. its not a putt:confused:

And your punished for just getting on the edge of a green in GIR or under if you three putt.

Total putts is easy to note but I think an avg is better

Grunt
12th October 2006, 05:18 PM
If it is a plain putting contest, Have it on the practice green or a putt putt. If you have it on the course the only way to make it fair to everyone in the game is straight out least putts/most putts. If you take is to average putts/green the A graders will win it easily as they hit the green closer to the pin than most of us.
Just my opinion but I do think others agree with me.

AndyP
12th October 2006, 05:24 PM
Why should a chip in count in a putting contest. its not a putt:confused:
But as I said in my post said a few days ago, chipping and approaches can contribute to the amount of putts.

At the end of the day, you're kindly supplying the trophies, so your rules.

Fishman Dan
12th October 2006, 05:24 PM
Yeah, I agree. If chip to 1 inch and then a tap in counts as 1 putt, then a chip-in should count as zero putt. Keep things simple. 8)

This is how it's been for all putting comps i've been involved in - in conjunction with the comp of the day.

It's not a putt-off/pissing contest, it's how many putts you have in your round of golf. That means chip-ins count as zero putts for that green. Punish the 2+ putts, reward the 1-putters, no matter how they got there.

If you PUTT in from 20 cm's off the green, it's a chip in. Putts are green-only.

(........waits for the screams about being advantanged to be on the fringe as opposed to the green)

PeteyD
12th October 2006, 07:16 PM
Count the putts. Any shot on the green is a putt. The computer scorecard is going to have total putts on it. Nothing else. No averages etc. If we have a tie then we will look back at the cards.

Is bribie a comp? Will we need to fill in 2 cards each if that is the case?

peter_rs
12th October 2006, 07:18 PM
Bribie isn't a comp.

AndyP
12th October 2006, 07:19 PM
We asked about a comp, but were turned down. Too hard on their end.

PeteyD
12th October 2006, 07:25 PM
Oh yea auto 3 putt for a wipe I guess.

peter_rs
12th October 2006, 07:28 PM
sunday is a stroke round... no wipes. I would of preferred the putting to be held over two rounds but most people only think it is possible to do in the stroke round.

Rusty
18th October 2006, 03:01 PM
i'll just go with the flow, no strong preference either way. :)

brad
19th October 2006, 12:15 PM
Fence sitter :smt045

peter_rs
19th October 2006, 12:32 PM
OK Guys the decision has been made and the prizes/trophies are being made.

THE RULES ARE SIMPLE
1.Both Titles will be held over two days.
a.The Best putter is lowest total putts over 2 days
b.The worst putter is highest total putts over 2 days.
2.If you don't want in don't note scores.
3.All you have to do is note the number of putts beside the hole score
4.In the stab round (sat) if you pick up on a hole you are given a automatic 3 putt. If you finish out a hole for 0 points and record 1 putt, the putts will count instead.
5.A putt is any stroke on the green in play. (If you chip from one level to the next it will be counted as a putt).

ENJOY & HAVE FUN.

brad
19th October 2006, 12:34 PM
Thanks Pete!

Some structure and rules and everything is in motion.

Bruce
19th October 2006, 12:54 PM
I do see the possibility of a problem with the rules as stated.

If I play a hole as Mr Hyde, there is a chance I can be a wipe before reaching the green. It would then be in my interests to 'polo' the ball up near the green to then play an approach shot from as close as possible to the putting surface without being on it to try and get a 1 putt.

7 or 700 is the same wipe. If one decided that the title was out of reach and wanted to go for the putting prize, you could walk in at the end of PH with 0 points and 18 putts (or less if you are good from the fringe).

PeteyD
19th October 2006, 12:55 PM
Well done Pete.

Bruce, your playing partners might kick you in the nuts for that. Besides which, what is wrong with playing for the least putts trophie?

peter_rs
19th October 2006, 01:13 PM
Simple bruce I would give them congrats as I don't think any one would come close to 18 up & downs around PH. Even if you get it to 1 foot on the wrong side of the hole you can miss and have a 10 foot putt coming back.

If thats the case they would probably get the dummy spit and wooden spoon tool.

BrisVegas
19th October 2006, 06:19 PM
THE RULES ARE SIMPLE
1.Both Titles will be held over two days.
a.The Best putter is lowest total putts over 2 days
b.The worst putter is highest total putts over 2 days.
2.If you don't want in don't note scores.
3.All you have to do is note the number of putts beside the hole score
4.In the stab round (sat) if you pick up on a hole you are given a automatic 3 putt. If you finish out a hole for 0 points and record 1 putt, the putts will count instead.
5.A putt is any stroke on the green in play. (If you chip from one level to the next it will be counted as a putt).

ENJOY & HAVE FUN.

Good work Pete on organising this. I'll try to remember to note my putts now. Who knows..?? I might win something!! :-o

Jono
20th October 2006, 08:36 AM
Yeah, good work Pete. 8)