PDA

View Full Version : Driver shaft confusion

bdoug10
17th April 2022, 11:11 AM
So long story short my driver for that last 12 months had been a Sim 2 max 10.5 with hazardous smoke green 6.0 shaft.

When I was fitted for this it seemed to work the best on the stand configuration. Me being a tinker over the last few months I have been playing around with the settings. I just found the sweet spot to be loft -.75 to play at 9.75 loft. Played one game like this as was pretty happy with the results. Last week I noticed a split on the tip end. Pro shop very helpful and are sending away for replacement. They have given me a rdx smoke red to use until it’s replaced. Now I have played 3 games so far with this shaft and hit some of my best drivers to date. Question Im asking my self is this.

Is the rdx red better for me? Or was my game just getting good and the green will be even better? I have the chance to get the replacement as the rdx red if I want but I have no idea what to do now.

Hope this makes sense and sorry for the formatting don’t know why it won’t let me space it out

markTHEblake
17th April 2022, 11:50 AM
Get onto a trackman and hit both. Let the numbers decide.

Or compare the profile of both, what is the differences and ask the fitter which one is more beneficial to you .

bdoug10
17th April 2022, 09:39 PM
That’s the confusion mark. The profiles seem to be on the opposite ends

Stuart
18th April 2022, 07:13 AM
Define 'better' - longer or straighter? Lower or higher flight? Less likely to hook/slice?

Scottt
18th April 2022, 09:11 AM
I recently trialled the previous model of red (Hzrdus Red originally from a 2018 mode driver) vs the Smoke Green in a Cally Epic Max LS driver.

Their performance is extremely different and unless you’re swinging at more than 105mph or so I think you’re gonna struggle to make the Green really sing for you.

They feel fairly similar for me until your hands get back past your waist towards impact and that’s where I feel like the Red gets more active and for me at least gets me the launch window I like.

Oddly, for the feel and launch difference, I got almost identical spin rates out of them. The green just lunched too low and right.

My driver swing speed is around 101mph FWIW.

virge666
18th April 2022, 11:22 AM
Trackman and numbers...
No need to guess. . .

if you dont have access to a trackman - just go to the course and hit 10 balls each - get a mate to use the stopwatch on his phone and work out which one keeps the ball in the air for longest. The longest ball flight wins.

USE THE SAME GOLF BALL you normally use.

Easy.

bdoug10
18th April 2022, 12:31 PM
Yeah ok I think I’ll head off to golfers paradise when the green gets replaced, I’ll ask to borrow the red for a few days and it wins will go looking for one to buy

Scottt
18th April 2022, 12:59 PM
I have a Green I'd sell if you wanna get the Red in the replacement and then do a more thorough head to head and then sell the one you decide you don't want.

bdoug10
18th April 2022, 01:10 PM
I have a Green I'd sell if you wanna get the Red in the replacement and then do a more thorough head to head and then sell the one you decide you don't want. How many dollar bucks you want? Is it 6.0 60 gram?

Daves
18th April 2022, 01:25 PM
I have a Green I'd sell if you wanna get the Red in the replacement and then do a more thorough head to head and then sell the one you decide you don't want.

How many dollar bucks you want? Is it 6.0 60 gram?

I would be interested in the Red if you decided to sell it.

Cheers

Dave

Scottt
18th April 2022, 01:35 PM
How many dollar bucks you want? Is it 6.0 60 gram?

Yep -- 6.0, 60g, plays c. 45.5" to 45.75". Perfect condition with a green MCC+4 grip. You'd need to put a TM tip on it. It has a Cally on it.

$125 shipped?

bdoug10
18th April 2022, 02:24 PM
I’ll have a think and get back to you if that’s ok?

Scottt
18th April 2022, 03:11 PM
Yeah mate. No dramas.

bdoug10
19th April 2022, 09:52 AM
Scott that’s for the offer but I’ll pass at this stage. I’m to lazy to go get the tip changed

LeftyHoges
21st April 2022, 11:42 AM
I COULD be interested in the HZRDUS Smoke Green Scottt, but Virge if you're reading this, what do you think of the 60g shaft butt-trimmed into a 3 or 4 wood? Too light?

bdoug10
9th May 2022, 10:57 AM
https://www.ozgolf.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=55568&stc=1

bdoug10
9th May 2022, 10:59 AM
Finally got a chance to test smoke green vs rdx red. I couldn’t tell much different to be honest. If anything the green looked to come out a bit lower and grouping was better.

anyone smarter then me care to take a look at the data?

was same head sim2 max set @ 9.25deg
hit 5 shots then swapped shafts. Did this twice

LeftyHoges
9th May 2022, 11:09 AM
Finally got a chance to test smoke green vs rdx red. I couldn’t tell much different to be honest. If anything the green looked to come out a bit lower and grouping was better.

anyone smarter then me care to take a look at the data?

was same head sim2 max set @ 9.25deg
hit 5 shots then swapped shafts. Did this twice

I'm no expert, but at a quick glance seems you're a lot more consistent with the green.

You might give up a few metres, but you'll hit more fairways on those numbers.

Again, no expert.

benno_r
9th May 2022, 11:27 AM
Green looks margainly better - though I am guessing there was 1 shot in the first lot of red that went way left and is skewing the overall.

What did you like the feel of better?

bdoug10
9th May 2022, 11:52 AM
Yeah I hit a bit of a hook with red when I went after it. I think the green felt a bit stiffer but might have been because i thought it was ment to be

bdoug10
9th May 2022, 11:53 AM
I'm no expert, but at a quick glance seems you're a lot more consistent with the green.You might give up a few metres, but you'll hit more fairways on those numbers.Again, no expert. Thanks Lefty that’s was I was thinking to. Hit the biggest one with red but green was more consistent.I hit a lot after the pics with out resetting data and the image was green mostly straight or leftish. Red was left, straight, right

bdoug10
9th May 2022, 11:54 AM
Just have to wait for replacement now

LeftyHoges
9th May 2022, 02:59 PM
Yeah I hit a bit of a hook with red when I went after it. I think the green felt a bit stiffer but might have been because i thought it was ment to be

I got fitted at Cool Clubs, and they fit me into the Green as it's supremely anti-hook. Apart from the raping 50m snap-hook I hit with it first time it saw a golf course it's mostly the case.

bdoug10
9th May 2022, 05:35 PM
I think I’ll go back again tomorrow just to double check. Diff day diff swing?

bdoug10
10th May 2022, 10:56 AM
Think Green is the go. Should have left after I took these pics tho. Last 5 shots with red in it went mint