PDA

View Full Version : 4 Club Challenge

Daves
20th February 2022, 09:49 AM
Our new Club Captain has introduced a new once a month event (as a trial), a 4 Club Challenge (one must be a Putter). Missed the first one, but looking to play it next month. I am sure there is a thread somewhere discussing limited clubs golf, but I could not find it.

Not sure I agree with the Putter restriction. I can and do putt with a Wedge, Hybrid or 3 Wood when needed. And could probably adapt to any club with practice. Though Driver faces are probably too hot for the purpose.

Now to work out a bag set up.

Oh and the Captain won the first event with 19pts (9 holes).

Courty
20th February 2022, 10:00 AM
Pre-covid, we used to have a 4x4x4 (4 clubs, 4 holes, 4 mulligans) once a month on a Friday. There was no restriction on clubs though, so I chose to putt with a wedge as well. Club selection obviously hinges on the length of your course, but I typically went with Driver, 4 or 5 iron, 8 iron, gap wedge.

3Puttpete
20th February 2022, 01:40 PM
Our new Club Captain has introduced a new once a month event (as a trial), a 4 Club Challenge (one must be a Putter). Missed the first one, but looking to play it next month. I am sure there is a thread somewhere discussing limited clubs golf, but I could not find it.

Not sure I agree with the Putter restriction. I can and do putt with a Wedge, Hybrid or 3 Wood when needed. And could probably adapt to any club with practice. Though Driver faces are probably too hot for the purpose.

Now to work out a bag set up.

Oh and the Captain won the first event with 19pts (9 holes).

Fairway wood or hybrid that’ll hit fairways off tees, something to chip with and split the difference with an iron in the middle.

markTHEblake
20th February 2022, 01:50 PM
4 club seems a bit easy, 3 club events are very challenging and seem more common. I would probably do 5 and 9 iron

I assume the requirement for using a putter is to stop muppets from chipping on greens and taking divots.

Dotty
20th February 2022, 02:07 PM
If I can't find any driveways to Gernie or gutters to clean out , then 3w, 6i, UW, Putter

p.s. Compulsory putter, because players are already too slow on/around the greens with the correct implements.

Hatchman
22nd February 2022, 10:09 AM
3 chippers with various length shafts and a putter would be where it’s at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thecollective
22nd February 2022, 11:22 AM
I'd go, Hybrid, 7I, PW, Putter

WBennett
22nd February 2022, 11:39 AM
For me, it would depends on how long the 3s would be. You want to be able to hit greens from the tee and not leave yourself severely compromised.

When we have played 3 club, its been on our short course. I would go with a 100m club, a 150m club and a 180-200 club. GW or SW, 7 or 8 iron, 5w

SundayHack
22nd February 2022, 02:05 PM
If I can't find any driveways to Gernie or gutters to clean out , then 3w, 6i, UW, Putterp.s. Compulsory putter, because players are already too slow on/around the greens with the correct implements. Once the driveway is gernied and the gutters are clean, I would start sorting my sock and jock draw.

WBennett
22nd February 2022, 03:03 PM
Once the driveway is gernied and the gutters are clean, I would start sorting my sock and jock draw.

You love half sets

3Puttpete
22nd February 2022, 03:05 PM
You love half sets

He thinks it says 14 club challenge