PDA

View Full Version : Ice ray sleeves

bdoug10
2nd February 2022, 09:28 PM
Anybody use these or something similar?

Playing at 11:30 Sunday and if it stays as hot as it has been doesn’t sound to fun.

Looking for ways to stay a bit cooler

benno_r
2nd February 2022, 09:33 PM

Playing at 11:30 Sunday and if it stays as hot as it has been doesn’t sound to fun.

Looking for ways to stay a bit coolerBeen using them ever since I started playing in Malaysia 10yrs ago. They are relatively confortable, look super dorky, but I use them to prevent sweat running down onto my hands. The sun protection is an added bonus.

markTHEblake
2nd February 2022, 09:41 PM
Its your arms... when you are hot wave a fan over your arms, did it help? No. The sleeves are for sun protection. The effect of moisture wicking material is true, but its not gonna help your body heat one iota. I guess they market it that way to make em trendy.

If you wanna be cooler, there is better things to do, like the ice neck thing <<amazing! loose fitting shirt over a skin tight vest is good, drink water with a electrolyte additive etc etc, gob a 1/4 of orange every few holes

I swear by the ice neck thing, but stopped using it because it washes away the sunscreen

bdoug10
2nd February 2022, 10:14 PM
Maybe I’ll put my clothes in the freezer before I play or just my hat

markTHEblake
2nd February 2022, 10:39 PM
Time to harden up. I have played 5 or 6 days in row at >45C heat. No sweat. The good part is you dont have to warm up before playing.

henno
2nd February 2022, 10:53 PM
I honestly find temp less of a concern than humidity. As long as I keep my fluids (and sunscreen) up in >45C dry heat, I can adequately sweat and maintain a comfortable body temp. The same cannot be said for a 35C day with >90% humidity.

Either way, fluids are still everything.

Source: Lived in Karratha for year and a half, saw >45C quite regularly, and was never hotter than a 35C day in a Cairns or Darwin summer.

3Puttpete
2nd February 2022, 10:56 PM

Looking for ways to stay a bit cooler

I have some and tbh I couldn’t tell you if they cool or not. I’ve never worn only one to compare. Maybe they do. They don’t make it any worse though.

bdoug10
2nd February 2022, 11:09 PM
I honestly find temp less of a concern than humidity. As long as I keep my fluids (and sunscreen) up in >45C dry heat, I can adequately sweat and maintain a comfortable body temp. The same cannot be said for a 35C day with >90% humidity.Either way, fluids are still everything.Source: Lived in Karratha for year and a half, saw >45C quite regularly, and was never hotter than a 35C day in a Cairns or Darwin summer. Yeah it’s more the humidity im talking about

markTHEblake
2nd February 2022, 11:29 PM
Yeah it’s more the humidity im talking about

https://www.wasafety.com.au/work-safety/Hydration/Hydration/PS1932/Cooling-Tie

or just get a shammy.

Daves
2nd February 2022, 11:30 PM
It is hard to find any long sleeve Polos that aren't too heavy and hot for our high humidity conditions. I have a couple, but only because I have scoured the market for them. In summer I almost exclusively wear sleeves with a moisture wicking Polo . I have found that is the coolest option that also covers full sun protection. I also almost exclusively wear Trousers these days for the same reasons. My skin check doctor is much happier now!

As to brands; I have Ice Rays and some Climate Veil Sleeves, plus some cheap eBay specials. All the do the job, but the cheapies don't fit well and don't last. All sleeves eventually rot away. I probably get 6 months out of the good ones. You need at least a few pair so you can rotate them, and they need to be washed fairly regularly as well.

You are in luck because the forecast for Sunday is for much cooler conditions than it has been the last few days. And there will be a solid breeze (SE) that will also help immensely.

I played Brisbane on Monday and it was horrible conditions, hot humid and no breeze. It was only that I carried lots of fluid that got me through. Even then I felt like I was suffering from mild heat stroke for a while. The problem with Brisbane GC in these conditions is it is in a big bowl and what breeze there was wasn't really felt in most spots. If I were to play it again in similar conditions, I would hire a cart, as much as I loathe them. Walking just isn't fun in those conditions.

Today I played Redland Bay in similar conditions. It was much more bearable because 1) it is flat and you do get what ever breeze is available 2) I wore a Cooling Towel (Coolcore) around my neck and 3) I packed even more liquid, including some Powerade mix. I freeze the bottles overnight and carry them in a soft esky. Today I took over 3 litres of fluid and it was just enough.

markTHEblake
2nd February 2022, 11:48 PM
I played Brisbane on Monday and it was horrible conditions, hot humid and no breeze.
yeah, i played Wynnum on monday also and enjoyed it just as much. I drank 4.5 x 600ml bottles of water one of which was electrolytes. normally only drink 2 bottles a 9 and most of the time i dont finish em.

BobsYourUncle
3rd February 2022, 07:08 AM
I've recently started wearing sleeves. Mainly for the sun protection, but they do seem to provide a bit of cooling in humid conditions.

Daves
3rd February 2022, 07:40 AM
I've recently started wearing sleeves. Mainly for the sun protection, but they do seem to provide a bit of cooling in humid conditions.

My sleeves are saturated by the end of a round in really humid conditions, it is almost like taking a wetsuit off. I have torn a few doing it.

AndyP
3rd February 2022, 08:07 AM
You definitely feel it in the heat from the start to the peak of the fourth hole at WP, after that it is down hill until the finish and it's easy. ;) You also get the river breeze for the last few.

I wear arm sleeves, but they don't make it cooler; they are for sun protection. I have found long sleeve shirts too hot though.

I came across crazyarms sleeves the other day, but I have no idea if they are any good though.
Golf Sleeves – crazyarms (https://crazyarms.com/collections/golf-sleeves)

markTHEblake
3rd February 2022, 08:18 AM
I buy the el cheapo sleeves on ebay for about 5 bucks each.

Coldtopper
3rd February 2022, 09:36 AM
Same category as ironcovers, tee holders and chippers!

AndyP
3rd February 2022, 10:03 AM
Good luck with your cancer avoidance.

Daves
3rd February 2022, 10:05 AM
Good luck with your cancer avoidance.

This^^

Keep flirting with death CT.

markTHEblake
3rd February 2022, 10:38 AM
I gotta laugh when melanin efficient people where the sleeves though.

Daves
3rd February 2022, 10:48 AM
I gotta laugh when melanin efficient people where the sleeves though.

It isn't a cure all. They can still get Skin Cancers, just a lower risk. And apparently with more dire outcomes due to low detection rates.

pt73
3rd February 2022, 10:51 AM
I've been wearing them for a few years and don't find them hot in Sydney's hottest and most humid months (Dec/Jan/Feb) even black ones.

If anything I find they are a bit cooler when it's hot / humid.

markTHEblake
3rd February 2022, 10:56 AM
It isn't a cure all. They can still get Skin Cancers, just a lower risk yeah i know, same sunscreen and hats only reduce risk too. Its funny because skin cancer isnt the reason they use 'em :-) they just dont want a gowfers tan

PeteyD
3rd February 2022, 11:40 AM
Wish I was tougher than the sun, wouldn't wear sleeves then.

3Puttpete
3rd February 2022, 11:45 AM

I just need ball marker hat clip for bingo.

AndyP
3rd February 2022, 11:56 AM
I just need ball marker hat clip for bingo.The cool kids have the hats with the magnet built into the brim.

Coldtopper
3rd February 2022, 12:04 PM
I just need ball marker hat clip for bingo. didn't you get a life ban after stealing the pencils? Back on the sleeve thing when you go for a drive with Mrs do you share sleeves so you don't get uneven tan lines?

markTHEblake
3rd February 2022, 12:17 PM
Its offensive to assume his sexual preference and status.

AndyP
3rd February 2022, 12:19 PM
I had a look back through the sleeves that I had purchased, all from Golfbox.

Black CoolTac Arm Guard Sleeve - $15 - These were too hot with whatever material they are, and were quickly demoted to sleeves that I occasionally do yard work with.
Black Sporte Leisure Sun Sleeves - $25 - 18 months on, these are what I still use for my rounds. Good fit, that hasn't stretched to make them too loose yet.
White Adidas UV Arm Sleeve - $15 - Half mesh, half lycra type material. I don't mind them, but they don't fit as well as the Sporte Leisure, so I rarely wear them. I might give them another go this week.

Daves
3rd February 2022, 12:28 PM
yeah i know, same sunscreen and hats only reduce risk too. Its funny because skin cancer isnt the reason they use 'em :-) they just dont want a gowfers tan

Ha!, and it is also a fashion statement for some.

bdoug10
3rd February 2022, 12:35 PM
Well I think you have all talked me out of the sleeves. Think I’ll go down the wide brim hat and frozen towel road

Daves
3rd February 2022, 01:20 PM
Well I think you have all talked me out of the sleeves. Think I’ll go down the wide brim hat and frozen towel road

Let your Skin Check Doctor be your guide on whether to wear sleeves or not. Not a bunch of Golf Tragics on a Forums.

markTHEblake
3rd February 2022, 01:20 PM
Ha!, and it is also a fashion statement for some. Saw a korean couple in Jakarta playing golf and had not an inch of skin showing on either of them. Not uncommon for the ladies to cover up mostly, but that was extreme!

Daves
3rd February 2022, 01:40 PM
Has anyone used the sParms Sleeves? I am about to restock and saw these on Golfbox.

BobsYourUncle
3rd February 2022, 01:45 PM
I use these ones. Currently on special too. https://www.golfbox.com.au/search?q=climate+veil&Search.x=30&Search.y=28

Johnny Canuck
3rd February 2022, 02:12 PM
Has anyone used the sParms Sleeves? I am about to restock and saw these on Golfbox.

Nicest ones I’ve ever owned.

Very soft.

AndyP
3rd February 2022, 03:00 PM
Why do they have two different models? Climate Veil vs Sun Protection?
SParms Sun Protection Arm Sleeves - Grey | GolfBox (https://www.golfbox.com.au/clothing/sparms-sun-protection-arm-sleeves-grey/)

Daves
3rd February 2022, 03:08 PM
Why do they have two different models? Climate Veil vs Sun Protection?
SParms Sun Protection Arm Sleeves - Grey | GolfBox (https://www.golfbox.com.au/clothing/sparms-sun-protection-arm-sleeves-grey/)

Climate Veil is a different brand. sParmas make the Sun Protection ones in the link. Climate Veil, the cheaper Cooling UV Arm Sleeves.

3Puttpete
3rd February 2022, 03:42 PM
didn't you get a life ban after stealing the pencils? Back on the sleeve thing when you go for a drive with Mrs do you share sleeves so you don't get uneven tan lines?

No need. She sits in the middle seat in the back and provides guidance and supervision from there.

AndyP
3rd February 2022, 03:44 PM
Climate Veil is a different brand. sParmas make the Sun Protection ones in the link. Climate Veil, the cheaper Cooling UV Arm Sleeves.
Ah, the BYU post in between the two sParm posts threw me.

3Puttpete
3rd February 2022, 03:45 PM
The cool kids have the hats with the magnet built into the brim.

One of those in a wide brim is the dream

markTHEblake
3rd February 2022, 04:41 PM
No need. She sits in the middle seat in the back and provides guidance and supervision from there.
wow, they make talking ones now? who knew.

Courty
3rd February 2022, 10:47 PM
I've tried many different brands over the years. I basically only use SParms now. The only other one that was any good was the Nike Solar Sleeves but they are getting harder to find (and are dearer).

Johnny Canuck
3rd February 2022, 11:03 PM
I've tried many different brands over the years. I basically only use SParms now. The only other one that was any good was the Nike Solar Sleeves but they are getting harder to find (and are dearer).

More durable, but not as comfortable (Nike)

aussieashley
4th February 2022, 08:02 PM
I use the SParms one. Only small issue I have is they slip down sometimes (because of my skinny arms probably 😂 )

I had some Adidas ones before that had a small strip around the top that kept them up on your arm but the SParms ones don’t have that.

BUSHY
8th February 2022, 08:31 AM

More durable, but not as comfortable (Nike)

I’ve got some sets of SParms and one set of the Nike’s. clearly the best in terms of durability and comfort.

There is a reason why they’re all over the LPGA Tour.

thecollective
8th February 2022, 09:25 AM
SParms are good, but Coolibar are even better quality, unfortunately you pay for them though, $51 per pair.

One thing I noticed with the cheap eBay sleeves is they're not SPF50+, so you still end up with a mild tan. If you really want to block out 99% of the sun you need SPF50+ rated sleeves