PDA

View Full Version : Change Irons ???

Cheech
21st December 2021, 11:20 AM
Hi All,

I returned to golf 3 months ago after a 13 year break (life got in the way).
Now early 50's but in reasonably good shape
Lowest handicap under the old system was mid 9 after two exceptional competition rounds on hard courses.
When I left golf I was on 12. Currently back to 14 under the new system and 12 up and down rounds.
Driver (Cleveland Launcher HB 2017), 3 wood (Prosimmon Icon 2003), hybrid (Adams 19deg 2005) are sorted and I'm happy with.
Wedges I'm also happy with - Srixon 52GW, Tommy Armour 56SW (56/12)
Irons are the question..........Fitted and purchased new, and they are the original series one Taylormade RAC LT (3i - PW) Dynamic gold R300 (PW is 48 degrees).
Still in 8.5/10 condition as they have covers and I've looked after them. IIRC they were regarded as a better players iron at the time.
FWIW I'm still striking the ball quite well from 6i - PW.
For reference my driver swing speed is 88mph (ball speed 129mph) according to Top tracer.
I've probably lost 10-15 metres with driver and 7-10 with irons in the time off.
Would I likely benefit from moving to an Oversize game improvement iron ??? eg Callaway Mavrik, steelhead, Taylormade sim, etc...
Interested to hear opinions as I don't want to waste $$$ on new equipment only to find little or no benefit

Cheers,
Cheech

thecollective
21st December 2021, 01:23 PM
Save your money for the mary jane; and say hi to old mate Chong for me

3Puttpete
21st December 2021, 01:42 PM
Would I likely benefit from moving to an Oversize game improvement iron ???

Who wouldn’t?

Dazza
21st December 2021, 02:40 PM
When I first took it back up after a long lay-off, I ended up with a set of Burner 09s.
Hardly blades but certainly no shovel either.
Anyway a few years went on, and I was on Ebay, and ended up buying a set of RBZ irons.
Now these are full blown shovels, but man oh man they transformed my game.
Currently using a set of Sim Max OS irons, and am striking them well.

LeftyHoges
21st December 2021, 02:51 PM
Who wouldn’t?

The same idiots who play a D3 (or other brand equivalents) over a D2.

3Puttpete
21st December 2021, 02:59 PM
The same idiots who play a D3 (or other brand equivalents) over a D2.

People are silly. Choppers gonna chop.

Dotty
21st December 2021, 04:15 PM
Who wouldn’t?
Someone with a low clubhead speed, who grew tired of watching approach shots roll off the back of the green.