PDA

View Full Version : OzGolf Championship Tees

Grunt
3rd October 2006, 09:13 AM
Well BV asked the question of which plates are we playing Pacific Harbour off? So what is everyones opinion?
I feel we should play off forward of the toughest tees, how many tee groups are there at Pacific Harbour? I just think that the back would give a big advantage to the lower markers that have played there before.
As previously asked, is the Champs nett or Gross?

BrisVegas
3rd October 2006, 09:17 AM
Champion is Nett. There is also a prize for Gross.

I think it should be treated just like anyone's club champs or Monthly medal and be played from the back tees. You can argue that back tees advantage the low markers. I think the opposite is true if we play the front tees. Having played Pacific Harbour once, length isn't the issue. Water and wind will be.

Grunt
3rd October 2006, 09:22 AM
Having never played there Dion, Are there 3 or 4 different colour tee areas?

PeteyD
3rd October 2006, 09:23 AM
Kinda agree with BV, although the prospect of playing off the back is quite scary. Just have to play smart to chicken out zones and play for the stab points. At least it isn;t stroke. And the women get to play off red.

BrisVegas
3rd October 2006, 09:27 AM
I can't remember how many tee boxes there were. It's either 3 or 4.

Like any "links" course (apologies to Moe for inappropriate use of the term) there is miles of width on the fairways to keep the course playable in the wind. The further forward we play, the tighter it gets with fairway bunkers. Maybe some people who've played both back and front tees can comment. I've only played the back and thought they were fine. The only hole where length was an issue was the 200m+ par 3, 17th...

Grunt
3rd October 2006, 09:29 AM
So there are reachable bail out zones, I know alot of resort style courses don't have bail out zones off the back plates as they are not designed for the hacker to play off.
I will play off where ever is decided, I was just thinking that if there was for instance 4 tee areas, playing off the one infront of the plates would be a good equaliser. The hackers amoungst us would be less nervy off the tee & the A graders would be able to show their course managment skills. A sort of compromise. I will admit I do seem to play smarter when playing the more difficult tees/courses.

BrisVegas
3rd October 2006, 09:32 AM
honestly, I don't think the length is a big deal. I know you haven't played it, so you'll have to take my word for it. If you have a bad day, you'll have millions there regardless of which tee you play. It's all about missing it in the right places...

I guess I'm a purist in the sense that I like to play a course as it was designed to be played. The lines of play are always better off the back tees than the middle & front.

just
3rd October 2006, 09:34 AM
Grunt
From memory 3 tees-black, gold, red. From the complete hackers point of view I don't think the golds offered that much advantage over the blacks. Distance isn't a problem (and thats coming from a bloke who can't hit that far), except for a few holes. Hitting it straight and the wind are going to be the problems.
I'm there for a fun day and therefore don't care who wins and don't care what tee we hit off-it's all the same to me.
Just

Grunt
3rd October 2006, 09:35 AM
Ok Cool , we probably need for those of you that have played it before to be spread through the groups. Hopefully I will have my A game with me and you will all be chasing me Sunday :p

just
3rd October 2006, 09:37 AM
There are plenty of bailout zones even on the par threes and they give you the opportunity to save par. The only hole where length is a problem is the 17th as BV said. Even that will only be a real problem if the wind is blowing.
Just

Moe Norman
3rd October 2006, 10:03 AM
I've played twice.

Once from the black and once from Gold.

I shot a better score from the Blacks. I found playing off the golds, the landing zones were far narrower, and I also played poorly.

I wouldn't be averse to making it Blacks, but for people playing off 10 or more, the option is there to play off the golds on holes indexed 1-5 or something like that?

AndyP
3rd October 2006, 10:13 AM
I don't know what the respective clubs will allow us to hit off, in particular, Bribie.

amanda
3rd October 2006, 11:02 AM
Is there 1 or 2 sets of ladies plates?

peter_rs
3rd October 2006, 11:09 AM
AndyP if you tell the Pro a Bribie it is a champ event they will put the plates back for you if you have 30+ which we will.

just
3rd October 2006, 11:22 AM
Amanda
From memory 1 set.
Justin

brad
3rd October 2006, 01:14 PM
So, if I wear a dress (lets call it a kilt), can I play from the ladies tees :razz:

BrisVegas
3rd October 2006, 01:17 PM
no problem, just dont bend over to place your tee in the ground...

I'm still having flashbacks to pics of macleod.... :smt087