PDA

View Full Version : Champs Volunteers

AndyP
2nd October 2006, 08:25 PM
Yo

Now that we are in the same month as the Champs, it's time to really get things organised. I don't want to take as much load as I have in previous years, as it takes away from my enjoyment of the golf. In fact, I don't want anyone to have to do too much. So what I'm looking for is a bit of brainstorming on what we need done, and volunteers to do these things.

I'm happy to continue to take care of prizes. And I guess I can organise the organisers/committee. Perhaps a separate private forum to toss around ideas.

Here is some of the things that I can think of that need doing:

Prizes/Trophies/Medals: AndyP
Don't forget we still need prizes - http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4070

Golf Bookings/Club Contact: golfer69 (?) (I've had a little bit of contact with PH regarding deposit)

Draw/Groupings: Flowergirl (Are you happy to make sure that people are right to go on the day too?) Might need some help from somebody with a laptop here.

Score Tallying, etc: Someone got a laptop? Might need a couple for this. On Sat night there will be plenty of time to work out scores, but it would be good to get it done ASAP after the final round.

Photographers: Blakey made a suggestion that we get all the photos together on a laptop, and show them afterwards, possibly on a projector. Workable?

Long Drives/NTPs: We need to give away the prizes for something. What holes should these be on? The club might be able to tell us straight off the best holes. I don't know. We also need to ensure that they are out on the course. Once again, the course may do this.

Presentations: Who wants to do some of the final presentations? Who loves the spotlight? Last year, there was a whoopsie with a hat. If someone takes care of presenting, I can just handover the prizes.

What else needs doing? Who wants to help?

Cheers
Andy

AndyP
2nd October 2006, 08:41 PM
Another thing I just remembered is all the cart bookings. That is something that probably needs to be finalised soon, especially at Bribie, which has limited numbers.

Flowergirl
2nd October 2006, 09:03 PM
I'm happy to organise the draw. I have started a thread for Saturday. Anyone has a problem with the draw please PM me and I'll make changes if I can.
I"ll also organise it on the day. I'm good at being bossy. :)

For the Sunday comp - someone suggested than we seed the top 12 from Saturdays results then do a random draw after that. That sounds good to me. Anyone have a problem with that idea?

AndyP
2nd October 2006, 09:07 PM
For the Sunday comp - someone suggested than we seed the top 12 from Saturdays results then do a random draw after that. That sounds good to me. Anyone have a problem with that idea? No, not really.
Although, I don't think the seedings have had that much impact in previous years, as we don't exactly have an ongoing leaderboard, and we play nett. But maybe this year will be different, and we'll have some guys keeping an eye on how others are going.

Here's an idea. How about a group for the four worst scores too, so they can try to avoid claiming the spoon.

BrisWesty
2nd October 2006, 09:50 PM
When we do work social club days at Bribie, we normally use the 18th for the long drive. That way, you can watch the later groups come up while you're sitting outside the clubhouse.
Par 3s at Bribie are #4, 7, 14, 16. Should be able to do NTPs for all 4 of them.

Don't ask me about Pac Harbour though, I only walked a few holes.

amanda
3rd October 2006, 08:08 AM
Draw/Groupings: Flowergirl (Are you happy to make sure that people are right to go on the day too?) Might need some help from somebody with a laptop here.

Happy to help our FG with the groupings or any organising on the day. I'm forever organising students and staff at uni - ozgolfers can't be too much worse ;) (I'll make sure I bring my whistle and air horn!)

Can also bring my laptop from Sydney if needs be.

PeteyD
3rd October 2006, 08:21 AM
I'll bring a laptop, as long as someone reminds me. Might be able to bring a printer as well if you want some fancy pants certificates done.

I should be able to sort out a spreadsheet for score entry for both rounds, not too much bother.

Seeding the top 12 for the last 3 groups on sunday sounds good to me.

If one day is stab and one is stroke, how do you score overall? Just add the positions lowest score wins?

Pete

Flowergirl
3rd October 2006, 08:28 AM
Happy to help our FG with the groupings or any organising on the day. I'm forever organising students and staff at uni - ozgolfers can't be too much worse ;) (I'll make sure I bring my whistle and air horn!)

Can also bring my laptop from Sydney if needs be.

Great Mandy. Ok. That's done. Mandy and I will be the chief bossy boots for the day. :)

AndyP
3rd October 2006, 08:35 AM
If one day is stab and one is stroke, how do you score overall? Just add the positions lowest score wins?
Convert the stableford to a stroke score, eg 33 points is a nett +3

PeteyD
3rd October 2006, 08:44 AM
Sweet. Makes it easy then.

BrisVegas
3rd October 2006, 08:49 AM
Convert the stableford to a stroke score, eg 33 points is a nett +3

33 points after the Pacific Harbour round will be the overnight leader's score... :smt002

PeteyD
3rd October 2006, 09:00 AM
I think you may be right. What tees are we playing off?

BrisVegas
3rd October 2006, 09:03 AM
What tees are we playing off?

That's a very good question... I would have thought the plates, as this is our championships.

Grunt
3rd October 2006, 09:06 AM
But does moving to the plates take the higher markers out of it? Is the ozGolf champ the nett or gross best score?

BrisVegas
3rd October 2006, 09:07 AM
this discussion probably belongs in a thread of it's own. i'll add my 2 cents if and when that thread eventuates....

Moe Norman
3rd October 2006, 10:09 AM
#7 Pac Harbour would be a given for NTP!

#17 should be avoided, as it will remove half the field!

#1 and #18 would be good long drive holes, and both will have a gallery of sorts.

Grunt
3rd October 2006, 10:11 AM
How does a drive/chip hole sound?

AndyP
3rd October 2006, 10:15 AM
Yes, we had a couple of approach holes last year too.

Moe Norman
3rd October 2006, 10:20 AM
#8 would be a good one, but it follows #7 :(

#2 is a short 4, can;t recall any others that could be considered short. Maybe 15?

BrisVegas
3rd October 2006, 10:24 AM
#2 is a short 4, can;t recall any others that could be considered short. Maybe 15?

What about that almost-driveable par 4 on the back 9 after the double-green par 5...??

Moe Norman
3rd October 2006, 10:26 AM
oh yes, thats a very good hole!

11 or 12 it is, with a small green. With the Par 3 to follow with the sucker pin down on the left.

just
3rd October 2006, 10:36 AM
12 followed by par 3 13. I thought 8 was better as an approach hole, although 12 wasn't too bad.

Moe Norman
3rd October 2006, 10:42 AM
i mean that its a good golf hole, 8 wouldbe better as an NTP, but seeing as 8 follows the best NTP hole on the course, its probbaly no good.

peter_rs
4th October 2006, 08:59 AM
Its a bit late but I can help peteyD with the scores and a computer.

peteyD we could either do it in excel or we can use my stats package and generate some player stat's/leader board too since its a champs :)

Grunt
4th October 2006, 09:03 AM
How in-depth are you going to track stats?

peter_rs
4th October 2006, 09:10 AM
Depends if we start a new prize see my other post.

Only basic.

-total strokes (and break down for par 3,4,5)
-total putt
-putt per GIR
-Maybe fairways if we want to do that much work (a tick beside the hole if you were on the fairway)

Or it could all be to much work for everyone.

AndyP
4th October 2006, 09:26 AM
Or it could all be to much work for everyone.
I don't think everyone will be wanting to track their stats. Scores should be fine.

peter_rs
4th October 2006, 09:35 AM
just a idea... since it was the champs

AndyP
4th October 2006, 10:43 AM
Does someone want to look after all the prizes too? Work out what we have, and what we can award them for? I can let you know what we did last year.

I'd rather just look after the trophy and medals.

Jarro
5th October 2006, 05:08 PM
"IF" i play AndyP, i'll look after the prizes for ya.

I might even donate a few classy DVD's for exceptional performances ;)

... on the golf course that is ;)

goughy
5th October 2006, 05:38 PM
I'll supply long drive pegs (old shafts with tubes for pen and paper) and some tape measures for ntp's. But someone has to sort out how many, what holes etc etc and soon. If the ozg shirts are anything to go by I'm kind of slack.

Grunt
5th October 2006, 05:47 PM
If the ozg shirts are anything to go by I'm kind of slack.

Does that mean we won't see them before the Champs? Not that it worries me.

AndyP
5th October 2006, 07:21 PM
"IF" i play AndyP, i'll look after the prizes for ya.
Any chance you could look after the organisation of them in the meantime, and have someone take over if need be?
Just work out who's donating what and what's available, then allocating them to specific awards, eg, 1st, R/U, Long Drive, etc (I've got a list of last years).

I'm sure we could all help with suggestions, but a chief organiser would be good.

AndyP
5th October 2006, 07:24 PM
I'll supply long drive pegs (old shafts with tubes for pen and paper) and some tape measures for ntp's. But someone has to sort out how many, what holes etc etc and soon. If the ozg shirts are anything to go by I'm kind of slack.
Goughy, the clubs may be able to supply us with this sort of stuff. And tape measures aren't needed if you actually leave the marker on the green.
Last year we had NTPs on all par 3s, and one approach and one long drive per course. Once again, the courses would know best on which are the best holes.

AndyP
5th October 2006, 07:55 PM
Trophies/Medals: AndyP

Prizes: jarro (for now)

Golf Bookings/Club Contact: golfer69, goughy (Bribie carts)

Draw/Groupings/Day Organiser: Flowergirl/amanda

Score Tallying: PeteyD/Peter_Rs

Photographers: Tez on Sat maybe. Who's bringing a camera? I'll try to remember.

Long Drives/NTPs Organiser: ?
Bribie: NTPs - 4/7/14/16, App - ?, LD - 18?
Pacific: NTPs - ?, App - ?, LD - ?

Presentations: ?

just
5th October 2006, 08:03 PM
Andy
I'll throw my hat in for presentations if nobody else wants to
do it.
Just

Bruce
5th October 2006, 08:13 PM
I've done the odd MC gig in the past too and could handle presenter.

AndyP
5th October 2006, 08:39 PM
I've done the odd MC gig in the past too and could handle presenter.
Sold. Can't beat experience.

Grunt
5th October 2006, 08:40 PM
I will have my camera, but I have priors for forgetting to take pics.

AndyP
5th October 2006, 09:05 PM
Champs Volunteers, I've set up a private forum (http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36) for any discussions concerning the organisation of the Champs.

BrisWesty
5th October 2006, 09:50 PM
Seeing as I don't have adequate clearance to go on aforementioned private forum - approach holes on Bribie.
1 349m 4 - dogleg - possible
2 407m 4 - too long/tough
3 442m 5 - 3rd shot?
4 150m 3 - NTP
5 497m 5 - just a longish par 5.
6 319m 4 - reasonable choice - mid to short iron into the green
7 148m 3 - NTP
8 343m 4 - good option - straight hole - mid to short iron into the green
9 373m 4 - no, tough par 4
10 424m 4 - too long
11 402m 4 - too long (aren't I a sook)
12 475m 5 - 3rd shot?
13 366m 4 - possible - straight hole - mid iron to green
14 170m 3 - NTP
15 329m 4 - sharp dogleg right - possible but wedged between 2 NTP holes.
16 168m 3 - NTP
17 481m 5 - 3rd shot?
18 335m 4 - long drive hole

So of the holes above the best approach holes would be any of 1, 6, 8, 13 or 15, with the pick probably being 6 or 8.

Hope that helps

steverawlo
6th October 2006, 08:32 PM
Definitely 6. Will be reachable in 2 by everybody and someone should be able to get it pretty close.