PDA

View Full Version : Deep face 3 wood help needed....

jaster
21st August 2004, 10:27 AM
My father is a 16 Marker who only took up golf at 45, plays golf in Charleville (my hometown but don't tell anyone ;)) where it is all tee up due to very little grass on some holes.
Earlier this year I bought him Jarros old TM 200 steel 15° 3 wood and he has been using it well but last night tells me that he would like a 3 wood with a deeper face as all his 3 wood shots are off a tee and the 200s face is a little too narrow to be super confident, this is where I need help. I have only owned around 5 fairway woods in the past 3 years so I need other opinions of what deeper face club to get him......these are my choices so far....remembering that at his best he was a 12 marker and does not care about "KOOLAID" or "TOUR" stuff :roll:

1. Callaway VFT
2. PING i3 or G2
3. Titliest 980 strong

Any other suggestions would be appreciated, needless to say I will have a 15° Retail 200 steel with a Stiff Nippon shaft for sale here very soon :wink:

Jaster

Jono
21st August 2004, 11:01 AM
The Cobra stainless 3 wood (the old grey model) used to be a favourite of mine off the tee. It had a pretty deep face.

Mizuno T Zoid (tan coloured) stainless model has a pretty deep face also.

jaster
21st August 2004, 11:04 AM
Thanks Jono, he owned a Cobra previous but fealt it was not forgiving enough for him, it was the older light grey model though similar to the driver that Norman and Woods were using to beat the world :)

Jono
21st August 2004, 11:43 AM
How about these?

http://www.wishongolf.com/designs/woodheads/915cfe.html

I have the 3W and 5W. 3W is made from titanium and 5W from carpenter 455 steel. The heads are quite big for fairway woods (185cc and 175cc respectively) and therefore the faces are quite deep (36.5 mm for 3W). I played about 5 rounds with these and they are great off the tee. Quite forgiving too, but I think I prefer smaller fairway wood heads with shallower faces (enter the Ashtons ... :lol: )

I can take some pics if you like, side by side with the Ashtons.

Fishman Dan
21st August 2004, 11:44 AM
I've got a Cobra 'Deep Face' driver (9*) and 3 wood (14 or 15*). The driver has been retired but i still use the 3 wood, it's a solid club - came with my Cobra Norman Grinds. Not as confident with it off the deck though.

It's the gray model with the 2 sculpted chunks out of the top.

gazgolf1
21st August 2004, 11:45 AM
Cally ERC.......

Really long but hard to get in the air off the turf,could be the answer if he's teeing it up. 8)

Jarro
21st August 2004, 12:14 PM
Jaster.. would he be interested in a 16* Rescue Mid :?

Maybe not as big as he was looking for, but probably easier to hit than any 3 wood he's gonna come across.

or maybe one of those TM580 3 woods :-k

jaster
21st August 2004, 01:50 PM
How about these?

http://www.wishongolf.com/designs/woodheads/915cfe.html

I have the 3W and 5W. 3W is made from titanium and 5W from carpenter 455 steel. The heads are quite big for fairway woods (185cc and 175cc respectively) and therefore the faces are quite deep (36.5 mm for 3W). I played about 5 rounds with these and they are great off the tee. Quite forgiving too, but I think I prefer smaller fairway wood heads with shallower faces (enter the Ashtons ... :lol: )

I can take some pics if you like, side by side with the Ashtons.

Sorry Jono, if I bought him soemthing other than the normal OEMs and it cost him more than $50 he would spew!! "What are you doing getting me Kmart clubs" would be his exact words ;) I wouldn't even try to explain it :lol:

jaster
21st August 2004, 01:52 PM
Cally ERC.......

Really long but hard to get in the air off the turf,could be the answer if he's teeing it up. 8)

Is the ERC HICOR like the driver? He had the ERC 2 driver and hated it, reckons the sweetspot was the size of a pee!!

jaster
21st August 2004, 01:56 PM
Jaster.. would he be interested in a 16* Rescue Mid :?

Maybe not as big as he was looking for, but probably easier to hit than any 3 wood he's gonna come across.

or maybe one of those TM580 3 woods :-k

I'll talk to him about it but he has a PING G2HL #2 that I got for him to go with is i3 Osize and he loves it, I think he will not get the big benefit out of an RM i.e. being able to hit off terrible lies as it is tee up everywhere in good old Charleville ;)

I forgot about the TM580 fws...anyone tried them?

gazgolf1
21st August 2004, 02:09 PM
As far as I know the ERC fairways are not Hi-cor,I bought one for $145 US when I was there last year.
Nice club but the stock shaft is a bit light,55gms I think. :?

jaster
21st August 2004, 02:11 PM
I'll have to check it out, thanks Gaz..didn't you have the VFT woods? What did you think?

McMw
21st August 2004, 02:34 PM
the cleve launcher with the gold fuji shaft has a pretty deep face...

so too the SZ Hyper Steel cobra fairways...

gazgolf1
21st August 2004, 03:47 PM
I'll have to check it out, thanks Gaz..didn't you have the VFT woods? What did you think?

Vft was nice,ERC was longer. 8)

AndyP
21st August 2004, 05:51 PM
needless to say I will have a 15° Retail 200 steel with a Stiff Nippon shaft for sale here very soon :wink:

jarro, can you think of anyone that might be interested in buying a club like this? :wink:

Fishman Dan
21st August 2004, 06:45 PM
There was a Cleve Launcher 3 wood at Cash Converters the other day. How much are you spending on this?

jaster
21st August 2004, 10:59 PM
needless to say I will have a 15° Retail 200 steel with a Stiff Nippon shaft for sale here very soon :wink:

jarro, can you think of anyone that might be interested in buying a club like this? :wink:

If your interested send me a PM...I'll sell it for what I bought it for 8)

jaster
21st August 2004, 11:00 PM
There was a Cleve Launcher 3 wood at Cash Converters the other day. How much are you spending on this?

Around $100 - $150...not sure about Cleveland though....what was the condition? Shaft? Price?

Thanks mate

Jaster

Jarro
22nd August 2004, 03:10 AM

Go for it AndyP 8)

990B Luva
22nd August 2004, 10:10 AM
I can also vouch for the cally ERC fairways, i have the 5 wood and they have deep faces but i can hit mine well off the deck, the shaft is 50g. i can also add that these clubs are LOONG and forgiving, yesterday i hit one right out of the heel and just a couple of metres shorter than usual. the 3 wood has an incredibly deep face IMHO

AndyP
22nd August 2004, 11:23 AM

Go for it AndyP 8)
I will look into the matter a little more. :-k

jaster
23rd August 2004, 07:00 PM
PM sent Andy ;)

jaster
23rd August 2004, 07:01 PM
This club looks deeper than the Retail 200 steel right? It is a PING G2 ;)

http://i10.ebayimg.com/03/i/02/51/5b/dd_1_s.JPG

AndyP
23rd August 2004, 10:18 PM
PM sent Andy ;)
Gaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnn! (Beat you to it, Fishy) :wink:

Jarro
23rd August 2004, 10:22 PM
well i'll be .....

.. our little Ho is all grown up :wink: :lol:

nice buy mate 8)

AndyP
23rd August 2004, 10:26 PM
well i'll be .....

nice buy mate 8)
Don't jump the gun prematurely for a change, jarro. It ain't a done deal yet. :wink:

Jarro
23rd August 2004, 10:33 PM
well i'll be .....

nice buy mate 8)
Don't jump the gun prematurely for a change, jarro. It ain't a done deal yet. :wink:

Stage 1 : Denial.

:roll:

jaster
23rd August 2004, 10:41 PM
What has a river in Egypt got to do with being a Golf HO?? :lol: :wink: