PDA

View Full Version : WDYSTM - September 2021

BobsYourUncle
4th September 2021, 04:46 PM
Oh, I get to start the thread.

Two rounds to report.

Thursday - doubled the first after being just over the back in 2 (par 4) - contact lens came out and caused me a bit of trouble. Settled down a bit, but no birdies and too many bogies saw me shoot 81.

XPPBPPPBB-BBBPPBBPP 81/32pts

Saturday - snuck out for an early round - monthly medal stroke, annoyed my wife. Put a new (old) putter in the bag - my old Odyssey O-Works 9 - and it worked very well for me (although I left a few putts short still). A nice strong finish saw me play to (actually under) my handicap for the first time in what feels like months. Still two doubles on the card though, really need to cut those out.

PbPXBBPBP-XPPbPPPPP 76/70

Flavzz
4th September 2021, 05:28 PM
Oh, I get to start the thread.Two rounds to report.Thursday - doubled the first after being just over the back in 2 (par 4) - contact lens came out and caused me a bit of trouble. Settled down a bit, but no birdies and too many bogies saw me shoot 81.XPPBPPPBB-BBBPPBBPP 81/32ptsSaturday - snuck out for an early round - monthly medal stroke, annoyed my wife. Put a new (old) putter in the bag - my old Odyssey O-Works 9 - and it worked very well for me (although I left a few putts short still). A nice strong finish saw me play to (actually under) my handicap for the first time in what feels like months. Still two doubles on the card though, really need to cut those out.PbPXBBPBP-XPPbPPPPP 76/70 Great golf mate.

BobsYourUncle
4th September 2021, 06:39 PM
Great golf mate. Thanks. Just found out I came 2nd on a countback. Still haven't won a monthly medal :(

AndyP
4th September 2021, 11:24 PM
No report on Sunday's round, BYU?

BobsYourUncle
5th September 2021, 08:18 AM
No report on Sunday's round, BYU?

Didn't get around to it during the week, no. I'll add it to the August thread :)

Flavzz
5th September 2021, 02:15 PM
Stableford at Thaxted today
33 points (19/14) off 12
We started on the 10th today and I started Par, Par, Par and ended up +5 through 9 after a good par at 18. I'd previously thought the back 9 was my weakness but now I'm certain it's more of a fitness issue leading to poor golf on the second 9 of my round. I've had plenty of strong starts and poor finishes over the past few months so some focus on fitness might help this. Plenty of good up and downs today but I was frustrated not to capitalise on the strong start, again..

Kelsey86
5th September 2021, 07:52 PM
Rubbish score of 21 points at Oxley today, however after having a lesson on Monday and making a couple of changes I didn't expect to be brilliant. It'll take time and practice to get used to them.

I still took some positives out of it, when I did get things right the ball went where I aimed the shot, just falling a bit short sometimes. More practice should see that happening more frequently as I get more used to the setup and movements. I also improved my short game by using the same technique as the full swing just in mini form, managed to get quite a few close enough for an easy putt.

I'll have a couple of practice sessions on Wednesday and probably Saturday before next round on Sunday, hopefully I'll do a little better next week.

AndyP
8th September 2021, 08:50 AM
05/09/2021, Wolston Park GC, Blue Tees, Social.

SG Handicap: Driving - 10, Approach - 15, Short - 0, Putting - 10.
Score: BBBXPPPXP PbPBPPBBX; 42:36:78 (+7:+4:+11).
Played to 13.7. SCH: 8.3 (+0.2).

I gave the course a nice headstart thanks to a hangover, limited warmup, and a sore thumb. I got into an okay groove after the start with a few stumbles. I went after a few drives, and gained at an extra 10m average for the round with some good results, but a couple of bad ones too. The strength for the day was around the greens, but I lost shots with the longer distance putts which is usually a strength.

I'm not sure where my good golf went, but I'm not letting rounds blow out either. That's three consecutive rounds within 2 shots.

Next round: Toogoolawah Cup on Saturday. I've never played the course, but I expect it to be fairly open and have plenty of run.

BobsYourUncle
9th September 2021, 11:30 AM
My usual Thursday morning pre-work comp. Felt like I wasted a few after a good front 9, but can't really complain. Burnt some edges though - I reckon I had at least 6 putts that my playing group called in only for them to lip out or burn the edge.

bBBPPBbbP-BBBBBPBPP 77/35pts

Got on the bogey train on the back 9 (mostly caused by errant tee shots) and struggled to get off. Highlight was a 7i from 140 on 8, flushed, drifted in on the breeze, pitched and rolled to 1 foot.

AndyP
9th September 2021, 11:32 AM
I need a once a week pre-work comp.

BobsYourUncle
9th September 2021, 11:42 AM
I need a once a week pre-work comp.

It's good, especially outside the middle of winter when the days are shorted. Sub 3.5 hour round, we finished at 9:50 today, so don't miss too much work.

NewyMitch
11th September 2021, 11:25 AM
42 points this morning with a cold putter. I ended up +3 with 3 3 putts for the round including the last 2 holes. It was as good a driving round as I can remember. 9/12 fairways and only 1 of those was chipping out.

AndyP
11th September 2021, 04:14 PM
42 points this morning with a cold putter. I ended up +3 with 3 3 putts for the round including the last 2 holes. It was as good a driving round as I can remember. 9/12 fairways and only 1 of those was chipping out.
Great score, Mitch.

----------

I ventured away from the home course today.

11/09/2021, Toogoolawah Cup, Blue Tees, Stroke.

SG Handicap: Driving - +4 :o, Approach - 10, Short - 15, Putting - 5.
Score: XPPbXPPBB BPbPPBPBB; 42:38:80 nett 75 (+6:+3:+9).
Played to 11.5. SCH: 8.6 (+0.3).

Felt like I was hitting it well; plenty of greens, including a couple of NTPs that should stick. Driving was good, but the dry open course assistedd that. Unfortunately, there are still a few disaster shots that drag the whole round down. The pitching was the usual culprit, including two shanks (one OOB), despite working on it for the last month, and there were a couple of very short putts missed too.

Next round: Not booked, but surely another Sunday round at Wolly.

PeteyD
11th September 2021, 04:20 PM
First round matchplay champs at Reddy Bay. Won 1 up. Eagled 9. First Eagle other than my hio years ago.

AndyP
11th September 2021, 04:36 PM
First round matchplay champs at Reddy Bay. Won 1 up. Eagled 9. First Eagle other than my hio years ago.
Noice! Tight sphincter down the stretch?

PeteyD
11th September 2021, 05:51 PM
Maybe a little

Kelsey86
13th September 2021, 11:15 AM
Crappy 21 points again yesterday. A lot of it down to my slice returning in the last two weeks, which is annoying because I'm hitting my irons from 6 to wedges a lot better even from one lesson, when I actually get to do more than punching out. I'm sure it'll get worked out, I think the plan now after getting that basic change is to start with chipping and work through to the full swing over the course of the lessons. It's a bit frustrating but I knew I'd probably go a bit backwards at first trying to learn new movements and it would take time to improve.

Flavzz
13th September 2021, 11:20 AM
Stroke round at Thaxted yesterday. 91 for net 79. Strong winds and patchy rain made conditions tricky. It was one of those rounds where I hit it really poor off the tee and therefore spent most of the day chipping out and scrambling for bogey. Missed a few short putts again. Highlight was a good drive and GIR on 18 to keep me coming back next week. Crazy game.

shazza_rs
13th September 2021, 01:53 PM
1st and 2nd round of club champs over the weekend

Rnd 1 - 83/70 (par is 68 )

Rnd 2 - 92/80 (par is 70)

Rnd 1 had no sleep and was out on the booze the night before.
Rnd 2 well rested….

Guess I’m getting on the booze all weekend for round 3 and 4

ParkRoyal
16th September 2021, 09:03 AM
36 Points off 9 (17+19)
bPPBBPBBX PPPXPBPBP

Five 3 putts (Four of those on 5, 7, 8 & 9) and other than 1st didn't make another putt for the day over 5ft, Had probably 6-7 gettable birdie putts in that lot.
Sandy greens, but should've made a lot more.

BobsYourUncle
16th September 2021, 01:54 PM
Regular Thursday morning comp, let down by my game inside 150m.

PBPBBPPBB-BPBXbPBPP 80/33 pts

2nd round using Arccos with the caddy link, which makes a big difference.
SG Driving: +0.2
SG Approach: -0.5
SG Short: -3.1
SG Putting: -3.4

Lag putting was off today, leading to 3 3 putts after hitting the first one too far past the hole. Frustratingly also left 3 birdies just short right in the middle of the cup.

Was really good off the tee, but missed 5 greens from inside ~130, and didn't chip very well either.

3Puttpete
18th September 2021, 11:24 AM
7 doubles and 2 wipes. Golf is hard.

shazza_rs
18th September 2021, 04:16 PM
85/73 for third round of club champs

Couldn’t get anything going. Nothing worse than a double though so not all bad

WBennett
18th September 2021, 06:24 PM
First day out in almost 6 weeks.

Social only 9 holes, white tees, cored greens. And I couldn't care less.

Halved my sidebet with Jerry Springer.

God it was good to get out again.

Flavzz
19th September 2021, 01:09 PM
Stroke at Thaxted today. Last day before the greens are cored tomorrow. 86 (+9 front /+5 back) for a net 74. Bit of a scrappy one today. A couple of missed putts and blocked drives. Highlight was NTP and birdie on 15. Back 9 was much better but still feel like I'm 5-6 shots a round off where I should be.

AndyP
19th September 2021, 05:14 PM
19/09/2021, Wolston Park, Blue Tees, Social.

SG Handicap: Driving - 3, Approach - 13, Short - 7, Putting - +5.
Score: PBPXPPbPB PPXPBPPBP; 38:36:74 (+3:+4:+7).
Played to 9.6. SCH: 8.6 (+0.0).

Better than average, but a couple of holes brought the score down again. Both holes were from an inability to recover from bad drives; one was being too aggressive with recovery and not mentally committing to the shots, and the other was a bit unlucky.

I really feel like my approaches are better than a 13 handicap, but maybe I'm just remembering the ones where I hit greens. Once again shots between 45-100 were the biggest weakness, but I think they were better today, or at least not shocking.

I missed a few greens by going long today. Thinking back over the back nine, I was definitely hitting it further than expected. Maybe medicine ball throwing at the gym is paying off...

Next round: Avoiding the social groups and playing at Wolly Park next Sunday afternoon.

Kelsey86
25th September 2021, 06:45 PM
10 point improvement today over the last couple of rounds with 31 points at Oxley. Slowly getting more used to the new swing technique, but it's feeling better every time I go for a hit. I have confidence at least with the irons that the ball will go where I'm aiming, and most times today it did.

Still haven't got it worked out with the driver yet, I hit 7/14 fairways today but 6 were on the front 9. According to golf pad I hit the green 62% from inside 150m, which is a big improvement. They weren't all in regulation, although that was also improved with 5/18, but it makes a difference having confidence in where I'll hit it. At this point I'm more concerned with direction than distance, as I have lost a bit with the changes. It should come back as I go further with my lessons though.

Backing it up tomorrow with the social club at Wynnum in a stroke event. Hopefully I can putt better, had a bit of a shocker today with 38.

Dcanto
25th September 2021, 07:10 PM
Another Saturday, another single Stableford at Half Moon Bay. First game in about 4 weeks, now that the boys junior soccer committments are over for another season I'm hoping to get out more regularly.28 points the result. Struggled for the first 12 holes but then finally things started to click and I played the last 6 holes one better than handicap. Hopefully something to build on for the next game.

3Puttpete
25th September 2021, 07:38 PM
31. 4 wipes.

Steve
26th September 2021, 07:28 AM
42 points, a par round off the stick. Finally had a win

AndyP
26th September 2021, 09:28 AM
42 points, a par round of the stick. Finally had a win
Well done, Steve.

Steve
26th September 2021, 12:25 PM
Well done, Steve.

Thank you

NewyMitch
26th September 2021, 12:30 PM
34 points this morning, most of my game was solid but 4 3-putts really hurt. I really need to sort out the Yippy 3-4 footers, they're costing me 2 or 3 shots a round at the moment.

Kelsey86
26th September 2021, 01:00 PM
Ordinary 97/77 at Wynnum today. I'm blaming a lack of sleep after the footy last night.

AndyP
26th September 2021, 07:55 PM
26/09/2021, Wolston Park, Blue Tees, Social.

SG Handicap: Driving - +4, Approach - 27, Short - 10, Putting - 0.
Score: BbPXPbXPP PPXBXBBBP; 38:40:78 (+3:+8:+11).
Played to 13.7. SCH: 8.8 (+0.2).

+3 through 11 holes, no thanks to double bogeys on both of the par 5s, then I threw up all over myself from 90m out on the 12 through to the 16th green. I lost the ability to be able to strike the ball in any sort of consistent way, starting with a low running shank and including chunks, knifes, and slaps. Struck it really well for 17/18, but the round was gone. WTF?!?!

Next round: Saturday Monthly Medal at the moment, but will happily change it to Sunday arvo social again.

BobsYourUncle
30th September 2021, 11:18 AM
Played to my handicap today, although my handicap was 7. Ordinary start, and a lovely shank on 6, but turned it around. Just needed some putts to go in - had a really good look at eagle on 7, couple of lip outs, couple of burnt edges on mid-range putts.

BXBPPXbPP-PBPPPPPBP 78/36pts

Flavzz
30th September 2021, 04:22 PM
Played to my handicap today, although my handicap was 7. Ordinary start, and a lovely shank on 6, but turned it around. Just needed some putts to go in - had a really good look at eagle on 7, couple of lip outs, couple of burnt edges on mid-range putts.BXBPPXbPP-PBPPPPPBP 78/36pts Nice mate

AndyP
2nd October 2021, 03:42 PM
I set a personal best on Thursday. Unfortunately, it wasn't score related, but I played 45 holes in one day during a solo golf-a-thon at courses that I had never played before. I was tempted to make it 54, with other nine hole courses in the Gold Coast area, but the body wasn't up for it, since I carried the whole time.

30/09/2021, Tallai Country Club, 9 Hole Course. BBXPXBXbB; 38 (+10).

Really bad play. I just kept pulling the ball, which may have been due to no warmup and limited stretching, but I couldn't correct it either. 4 shots lost in penalties, but at least there was one birdie to bring some joy, albeit a pitching wedge tee shot.

30/09/2021, Boomerang Farm GC, 9 Hole Course. BXXBPPbBX; 45 (+11).

More of the same shit on a more dangerous course. After quad, triple on holes 2 and 3, I wasn't sure if I was going to continue with anymore golf for the day. I actually played decent on the stretch of four consecutive par threes from the 5th to 8th for even par on those, but without that, I may have headed home with my tail between my legs.

30/09/2021, Meadow Park GC, 9 Hole Course. PPPPBBPBB; 32 (+4).

Much better ball striking. It was a bit blustery and I misjudged the wind a few times and missed greens, plus there were a few longer par 3s that are tough to hit with a two hybrid. Could have been better, but at least let me progress to the next course.

30/09/2021, Coplicks Tallebudgera GC. PPBPPBPPB PPXPBPPPB; 74 (+7)

Played decent, but it was a short course, including par 4s in driving range, and I couldn't quite get the birds when they were on offer. I was fatiguing badly late, the swing was falling apart, and the driver was spraying everywhere, but the course didn't punish me.

3Puttpete
2nd October 2021, 03:55 PM
I set a personal best on Thursday. Unfortunately, it wasn't score related, but I played 45 holes in one day during a solo golf-a-thon at courses that I had never played before. I was tempted to make it 54, with other nine hole courses in the Gold Coast area, but the body wasn't up for it.

30/09/2021, Tallai Country Club, 9 Hole Course. BBXPXBXbB; 38 (+10).

Really bad play. I just kept pulling the ball, which may have been due to no warmup and limited stretching, but I couldn't correct it either. 4 shots lost in penalties, but at least there was one birdie to bring some joy, albeit a pitching wedge tee shot.

30/09/2021, Boomerang Farm GC, 9 Hole Course. BXXBPPbBX; 45 (+11).

More of the same shit on a more dangerous course. After quad, triple on holes 2 and 3, I wasn't sure if I was going to continue with anymore golf for the day. I actually played decent on the stretch of four consecutive par threes from the 5th to 8th for even par on those, but without that, I may have headed home with my tail between my legs.

30/09/2021, Meadow Park GC, 9 Hole Course. PPPPBBPBB; 32 (+4).

Much better ball striking. It was a bit blustery and I misjudged the wind a few times and missed greens, plus there were a few longer par 3s that are tough to hit with a two hybrid. Could have been better, but at least let me progress to the next course.

30/09/2021, Coplicks Tallebudgera GC. PPBPPBPPB PPXPBPPPB; 74 (+7)

Played decent, but it was a short course, including par 4s in driving range, and I couldn't quite get the birds when they were on offer. I was fatiguing badly late, the swing was falling apart, and the driver was spraying everywhere, but the course didn't punish me.

Jebus!

Kelsey86
2nd October 2021, 06:06 PM
That's epic. The most I've done was 36 in a day but at the same course, with lunch in between the rounds.

This week I'm doing 36 over two days again, playing the Oxley comps tomorrow and Monday, partly for practice since I haven't been able to get to the range this week.

AndyP
2nd October 2021, 07:27 PM
That's epic. The most I've done was 36 in a day but at the same course, with lunch in between the rounds.
I've done 36 a few times, including OZgolf days. To be honest, this wasn't a long 45, since a couple of the courses were practically par 3 courses. Still tiring though, and it was the back that was feeling it for the last 9 after carrying the clubs. I should have accepted the offer of a free pull cart for my third 9.