PDA

View Full Version : Minimal offset iron suggestions with some forgiveness

goonie
1st September 2021, 01:30 PM
Checking to see if any irons have come out in the last 6 years that might fit the bill.

I currently have 2010 TM R9 TP B stamps and 2014 TM TP CB's

The R9 TP B irons are by far the best looking irons I have have played with virtually zero visible offset, but are not exactly forgiving as they might as well be a blade and I am not playing a lot of golf ATM, the TM CB irons are forgiving enough but have slightly too much offset for my liking thru the whole set.

So looking for something with similar forgiveness to the TP CB's with less offset. Pings, Callaway and Mizuno have generally always had to much offset for my liking, even the Titleist AP2 has a very similar offset to the TM CB's on paper.

Any suggestions?

Offset on current irons in millimetres and inches.

R9 TP B
4. 1.7 - 0.067
5. 1.5 - 0.06
6. 1.3 - 0.05
7. 1.1 - 0.043
8. 0.9 - 0.035
9. 0.7 - 0.027
PW. 0.5 - 0.019

TP CB
4. 4.4 - 0.173
5. 3.6 - 0.141
6. 3.1 - 0.122
7. 2.8 - 0.11
8. 2.4 - 0.094
9. 2.1 - 0.082
PW. 1.8 - 0.07

As you can see the R9 4 iron has less offset that the CB PW :-)

Link below to my WITB if you want to see what I have played before, favorites over the years would be R9 TP B stamps, Maxfli Revolution Black and A10 Combo, and Apex Blades.

https://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/11933-Goonie-s-Bag

markTHEblake
1st September 2021, 01:51 PM
Golfworks/Maltby DBM, TSE or TS1
https://www.golfworks.com/heads/c/10001/filter/100000000159eq100000000198/

I have the DBM and heaps of people assume they are some snazzy jap stuff.

They are bringing out a new blade later this year.

BobsYourUncle
1st September 2021, 02:01 PM
Wilson Staff Model CB and the older FG v6 have fairly low offset I believe

virge666
1st September 2021, 02:02 PM
Mizuno 825 forged.

Thats why i bought them

https://www.golfalot.com/equipment-reviews/mizuno-jpx850-forged-irons-review-2996.aspx

Steve
1st September 2021, 08:13 PM
Wilson FG v6 tour however do not have the strong lofts

thecollective
1st September 2021, 08:55 PM
Srixon zx-7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sfdoddsy
1st September 2021, 10:28 PM
If you want maximum forgiveness and minimal offset, the Cleveland HB Turbo 7 irons has 1.73mm offset.

:)

rick3003
1st September 2021, 10:48 PM
You need to take a serious look at Wilson irons.. the v6 have a tonne of forgiveness for a smallish head and have less offset than your current irons. The lofts are traditional though. The alternative is the D7 Forged, stronger lofts and larger head but still very low offset, very similar offset specs to what you are playing.
Huge plus is the price, they are much cheaper than the bigger brands but are just as good IMO.

Jazz18
2nd September 2021, 01:12 AM
See if you can find a set of 2014 TM TP MC irons. They are a bit smaller than the CB's but less offset and the 8-PW are forged. Really nice irons.

Or, if you want to go with one of the suggestions above (Srixon ZX7 irons) I've got a mint set, 3-GW (9 irons) modus 120 stiff shafts that I'm looking to offload :roll: I've also got a set of Srixon 545's (4-PW) that are awesome irons. Maybe a touch more offset than the TP CB's but A LOT more forgiving and they don't look big or clunky llike some cavity backs.

backintheswing
2nd September 2021, 01:57 AM
I have a set of pretty mint z965 irons 3 to P , very small offset on these

goonie
2nd September 2021, 03:46 PM
Had a look at some of the current models in the shops today, except ping no one had any ping players models, and the Cobra King Tour looked good, and the Titleist T100s looked awesome, they didn't have the standard T100.

goonie
2nd September 2021, 03:47 PM
See if you can find a set of 2014 TM TP MC irons. They are a bit smaller than the CB's but less offset and the 8-PW are forged. Really nice irons.

Or, if you want to go with one of the suggestions above (Srixon ZX7 irons) I've got a mint set, 3-GW (9 irons) modus 120 stiff shafts that I'm looking to offload :roll: I've also got a set of Srixon 545's (4-PW) that are awesome irons. Maybe a touch more offset than the TP CB's but A LOT more forgiving and they don't look big or clunky llike some cavity backs.

Dare I ask how much?

goonie
2nd September 2021, 03:48 PM
I have a set of pretty mint z965 irons 3 to P , very small offset on these

Aren't they blades?

goonie
2nd September 2021, 03:50 PM
I wonder if AP2's have a similar offset to the T100?

backintheswing
2nd September 2021, 03:54 PM
Aren't they blades?Muscle back blades with minimal offset and forgiveness.

goonie
2nd September 2021, 06:20 PM
Would AP2’s bw similar in forgiviness to my TM CB’s ?

goonie
4th September 2021, 12:52 AM
Wilson Staff Model CB and the older FG v6 have fairly low offset I believe

Wilson FG v6 tour however do not have the strong lofts

Both of these look good and are on my list, lofts sit between my 2 existing sets.

goonie
4th September 2021, 01:00 AM
Narrowed my list down to the below ATM, any votes for which would be more forgiving?

TM PSi Tour
TM TP MC
Ping iBlade
Ping i500
Wilson Staff CB
Wilson FG V6

BobsYourUncle
4th September 2021, 11:13 AM
I haven't hit all of them, but find the wilsons to be very forgiving. Tungsten in the 4-7 helps get it airborne, and the head still looks nice and compact at address.

Planet Golf
4th September 2021, 03:15 PM
ZX5 are the most underrated irons at the moment. Only $161 per iron with Drummond Club Members. That is amazing value compared to all the other premium irons on the market. I just ordered a second custom set this morning given the price. Mad not to

thecollective
4th September 2021, 03:34 PM
ZX5 are the most underrated irons at the moment. Only $161 per iron with Drummond Club Members. That is amazing value compared to all the other premium irons on the market. I just ordered a second custom set this morning given the price. Mad not to

I paid $162.15 per iron; a price I thought was unbeatable so you have certainly done well.

I notice Drummond are starting to pull their finger out a bit with deals now, certainly well overdue

perci
4th September 2021, 03:54 PM
Got a set of Raw Cobra Forged CB Heads in pretty good nick here, owe me $400ish

NewyMitch
4th September 2021, 04:04 PM
I play a combo set of ZX5/ZX7 and the transition is really well done between the two. To the extent I have a set of ZX7s that need a new home because I don't want to give up the extra help the ZX5s offer.

NewyMitch
4th September 2021, 04:12 PM
ZX7 iron offsets

HEAD OFFSET(mm)
3 - 3.6
4 - 3.5
5 - 3.4
6 - 3.2
7 - 2.9
8 - 2.4
9 - 2.0
PW - 1.8

ZX5 iron offsets

HEAD OFFSET(mm)
3 - 4.2
4 - 4.0
5 - 3.8
6 - 3.5
7 - 3.2
8 - 3.0
9 - 2.7
PW - 2.4

BobsYourUncle
4th September 2021, 04:49 PM
I paid around the $160 mark for my Z Forged. Srixon are really good clubs at the moment (drivers and fairways too) and have been for a while. Great value. They do have a bit more offset than some of the other options listed here though.

thecollective
4th September 2021, 04:56 PM
the ZX-7's have some forgiveness, enough for me anyway

scratchoz
8th September 2021, 10:19 PM
I paid $162.15 per iron; a price I thought was unbeatable so you have certainly done well.

I notice Drummond are starting to pull their finger out a bit with deals now, certainly well overdue

If you buy them from your pro shop you could probably do even better - a mate of mine just got some from his pro shop for under $150 per iron

goonie
10th September 2021, 02:39 PM
More research done, updated my list.

Lowest offset options - on paper
Wilson Staff CB
Wilson FG V6
TM TP MC
TM RSi TP
Ping iBlades
Ping i500

Similar to or more forgiving, with similar or less offset, vs my old TM TP CB - on paper
RBladez Tour
T100 19
AP2 718
Ping i200

Other contenders so far
CB 718
TM PSi Tour

goonie
10th September 2021, 03:01 PM
The ZX-7 and ZX-5 do look great but just don't quite suit my eye at address, pretty much the same as Callaway and Mizuno's I have looked at.

One thing that can make a big difference is the hosel transition, if done well it can make an iron look like it has less offset than it does, I was looking at a Callaway and I think a Cobra at Perci's the other day, and the Cobra looked like it had less even thou it had the same or more than the Callaway.

Jazz18
10th September 2021, 03:46 PM
More research done, updated my list.

Lowest offset options - on paper
Wilson Staff CB
Wilson FG V6
TM TP MC
TM RSi TP
Ping iBlades
Ping i500

Similar to or more forgiving, with similar or less offset, vs my old TM TP CB - on paper
RBladez Tour
T100 19
AP2 718
Ping i200

Other contenders so far
CB 718
TM PSi Tour

You may as well cross off the Ping iblades and i500's if you wanted new. The iblades are done (replaced with i59's) and Ping don't have any sets left I'm told and the i500 is in the same boat. I rang Ping yesterday to see if I could get a couple of i500 long irons and they don't even have any of those left. i59's are due in October and the i525 (obviously replacement for i500) are due in April. Nothing wrong with finding a good set of used iblades though. I can vouch for them, they are mint. Not the longest clubs but really nice. Not as soft as say mizzy irons or some other forged clubs but if you've had Ping irons before, you'll like the feel. you can always have the colour code on whatever you buy changed if you have them sent back to ping. It's not too expensive I'm told.

goonie
10th September 2021, 10:04 PM
You may as well cross off the Ping iblades and i500's if you wanted new. The iblades are done (replaced with i59's) and Ping don't have any sets left I'm told and the i500 is in the same boat. I rang Ping yesterday to see if I could get a couple of i500 long irons and they don't even have any of those left. i59's are due in October and the i525 (obviously replacement for i500) are due in April. Nothing wrong with finding a good set of used iblades though. I can vouch for them, they are mint. Not the longest clubs but really nice. Not as soft as say mizzy irons or some other forged clubs but if you've had Ping irons before, you'll like the feel. you can always have the colour code on whatever you buy changed if you have them sent back to ping. It's not too expensive I'm told.

Yeah there is only 1 current club on that list (Wilson Staff CB), most likely going to be a second hand purchase.

scratchoz
10th September 2021, 10:48 PM
Have you considered Bridgestone J series irons - one of my back up sets are J38's and they are very low offset with lots of forgiveness. Check them out

Jazz18
10th September 2021, 11:02 PM
Yeah there is only 1 current club on that list (Wilson Staff CB), most likely going to be a second hand purchase.Fair enough. Good luck finding what you want [emoji106]

Steve
11th September 2021, 05:42 AM
Yeah there is only 1 current club on that list (Wilson Staff CB), most likely going to be a second hand purchase.

Drummonds still have new FGV6s in NC stock

NewyMitch
12th September 2021, 10:52 AM
Wilson Staff FORGED irons - FG Tour V6,
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/adelaide-cbd/golf/wilson-staff-forged-irons-fg-tour-v6/1281145791?utm_source=org.mightyfrog.android.simpl enotepad&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=android_VIP_sticky

Price: $420

dM.
12th September 2021, 11:28 PM
Why not do something like a set of T100S Titties and have them bent weak - be like having a set of t100's with almost no offset.

Getting a strong lofted iron players iron and bending them a bit weak might be the easiest way for you to get the 'look' you want.

Offset the extra Spin with a ball change if needed.

goonie
13th September 2021, 01:11 AM
Why not do something like a set of T100S Titties and have them bent weak - be like having a set of t100's with almost no offset.

Getting a strong lofted iron players iron and bending them a bit weak might be the easiest way for you to get the 'look' you want.

Offset the extra Spin with a ball change if needed.

I have been thinking of what the ZX7 would look like bent a few degrees weak.

goonie
13th September 2021, 09:15 AM
Wilson Staff FORGED irons - FG Tour V6,
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/adelaide-cbd/golf/wilson-staff-forged-irons-fg-tour-v6/1281145791?utm_source=org.mightyfrog.android.simpl enotepad&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=android_VIP_sticky

Price: $420

Thanks, always worries me when they don’t show pics of the faces.

goonie
13th September 2021, 01:14 PM
I think I am starting to lean towards the Wilson FG V6 and Staff CB, the new Staff CB is pretty new and priced similarly to the ZX7 new, but probably out of my price range ATM.

Steve
13th September 2021, 05:05 PM
If you are not looking for new, see if you can find a set of Wilson fgv4 tours. I think there are some floating around in this site. If you where in Townsville I would lend you a set to try

goonie
13th September 2021, 09:44 PM
I have injured my back at the moment, once my back gets better I am going to try and get to a few demos, thinking I should try a few clubs out, especially the the new Wilson Staff CB, T100, ZX7 and few others.

Unless I come across a good deal and can’t help myself :-)

goonie
14th September 2021, 12:55 PM
Have you considered Bridgestone J series irons - one of my back up sets are J38's and they are very low offset with lots of forgiveness. Check them out

I used to play J36 blades, does that count :-)

I will take a look.

scratchoz
14th September 2021, 07:37 PM
I used to play J36 blades, does that count :-)

I will take a look.

Another nice looking set, the J36 blades - I've got a set of Srixon Pro 100 blades that I take to practice with when I think my swing is on song so my ZX7's are easy to hit when I'm on course 8-)

Planet Golf
15th September 2021, 09:44 AM
For $161 an iron custom fitted and brand new through Drummonds, Srixon and Zipcore Wedges are hard to beat. rather than bending/retro fitting irons built for another golfer.

Just my two cents tho

goonie
15th September 2021, 12:12 PM
For $161 an iron custom fitted and brand new through Drummonds, Srixon and Zipcore Wedges are hard to beat. rather than bending/retro fitting irons built for another golfer.

Just my two cents tho

I agree the Srixon ZX7 (and the Wilson Staff CB) are a good deal at around $160 an iron, the Srixon's look great but have a little too much offset for me, the Wilson's are very tempting thou, but considering the amount of golf I am likely to play (outside of my current holidays) in the next few years with kids sport every weekend $160 per club is probably more than I am willing to pay and afford ATM.

The ZX7's being a few degrees stronger in loft would make them perfect to bend weak and take out some offset, but I would rather test the option of bending out the offset on a cheaper second hand set then a new set, I also know my specs and shaft preferences pretty well, and as long as the clubs can be bent it is pretty easy, and I get to top up Perci's beer fridge :-)

I really want to go to somewhere like Cool Clubs where they have a full range of interchangeable heads and shafts to get a fit done, I am actually going to suggest this for my birthday this year

Also due to my engineering background I love clubfitting and tinkering and experimenting with my gear and new gear, I just wish I had a more money to buy more clubfitting gear like a lie and loft machine, I would also love to get something like a Skytrack so I can practice and play golf in my shed to keep my skills up, I already have a mat and net but it is a little pointless if you don't know where the ball is going.

I understand that everyone doesn't want to build their own clubs and for them going to a golf shop to get fit is perfect, but for me I enjoy buying a set of shafts and heads and building them myself, and going second hand can sometimes mean I can buy and sell 2, 3 or more sets and still have change

Planet Golf
15th September 2021, 12:28 PM
Fair enough. I am the person who has made the mistake of buying 2nd hand, having it retro fitted and ended up spending the same or more as having a new custom set fitted and ordered.

Clubs currently are very expensive though

backintheswing
15th September 2021, 12:43 PM
The srixon deal is pretty good, my son just ordered a set and C tapers are a no cost upgrade.

goonie
15th September 2021, 01:58 PM
I got a brand new set of Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 S shafts 4-PW, they still have the plastic on the grips and the Srixon order and holographic labels on them, they came out of a brand new set of ZX7's :-), pity the heads weren't on them :-(

petethepilot
15th September 2021, 07:38 PM
I have injured my back at the moment, once my back gets better I am going to try and get to a few demos, thinking I should try a few clubs out, especially the the new Wilson Staff CB, T100, ZX7 and few others.

Unless I come across a good deal and can’t help myself :-)

Goonie, I sold a set of Titty T100S’s for a set of Wilson Staff CB’s. Hope that tells you what I think of the Wilson’s!

thecollective
15th September 2021, 08:43 PM
It feels like you’re over emphasizing the offset debacle. Each to their own but I honestly cannot see that much offset in the zx-7

Remember Brooks uses these irons without an endorsement. If they’re good enough for him they’re good enough for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goonie
15th September 2021, 09:23 PM
Goonie, I sold a set of Titty T100S’s for a set of Wilson Staff CB’s. Hope that tells you what I think of the Wilson’s!

Yeah they look bloody awesome.

petethepilot
16th September 2021, 09:14 PM
They feel even better when you regularly find the middle. Pretty forgiving on toe strikes too!

goonie
16th September 2021, 10:33 PM
Yeah I need to get to a demo day

goonie
17th September 2021, 11:50 AM
Ended up buying a set of Japan only released TM Burner TP irons, I always wanted a set back in the day but they were too expensive, can’t wait for them to arrive.

Pocket cavity in 5 to 7 iron, very little offset, should be a little bigger and more forgiving than my R9 TP b stamps, and well in my budget.

For some reason I keep going back to TM and TM Tour/limited edition irons, don’t know why but TM players irons have always looked good to me.

These are mine

Example of 6 iron at address

PeteyD
17th September 2021, 05:00 PM
Those are sweet.

goonie
17th September 2021, 05:38 PM
They come with NS PRO 850 regs, but I will put the Modus 3 120 shafts in them, NS Pro's will probably end up in the Pro shop, might hit them once first.