PDA

View Full Version : Olympics ....

Stuart
29th July 2021, 07:04 AM
Most interesting thing I have learned so far today is that Rory Sabatini is representing Slovakia.

WBennett
29th July 2021, 07:43 AM
Changed his nationality for two reasons - solidarity with his Slovak wife, and to qualify for the Olympics.

Captain Nemo
29th July 2021, 10:40 AM
Go Rory!

jimandr
29th July 2021, 10:42 AM
Watching the coverage now, on 7plus. I started on 7mate, but there was an ad break, and then a switch to the Archery, so it was time to investigate the other option.

It wasn't the easiest thing to connect to for a technologically challenged person like myself, but after creating an account, etc, I got there.

The very pleasant surprise is that there are no ads. The bad news is that Alison Whittaker is one of the commentators, with Tony Johnstone and a guy I don't know. But it seems to be the world feed, so there is no Aussie, Aussie cheerleading.

The course appears soft and easy for scoring.

PerryGroves
29th July 2021, 10:56 AM
Go Rory!

Might be just you cheering, Rory doesn't give a ........

https://www.espn.com.au/olympics/story/_/id/31888244/rory-mcilroy-hiding-2021-olympics-reluctance

damoocow
29th July 2021, 11:20 AM
Have i missed something or does the US have twice as many players in this event compared to the other countries?

Ron Burgundy
29th July 2021, 11:29 AM
Might be just you cheering, Rory doesn't give a ........https://www.espn.com.au/olympics/story/_/id/31888244/rory-mcilroy-hiding-2021-olympics-reluctance The absence of patriotism perfect for a Northern Irishman. Hopefully more of them feel the same way.

WBennett
29th July 2021, 01:20 PM
Have i missed something or does the US have twice as many players in this event compared to the other countries?

They do - if a country had a certain number of players in the world top 20, they were permitted to have 4 entrants.

I suspect Korea could have half the field in the womens event.

Ferrins
29th July 2021, 01:59 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fdiCeOuzTa0

For you Jim, grab your notepad.

ParkRoyal
29th July 2021, 04:34 PM
They do - if a country had a certain number of players in the world top 20, they were permitted to have 4 entrants.

I suspect Korea could have half the field in the womens event.

The Korean blokes (not sure about the women) have a huge incentive to win, Gold medal gets them out of 2 years Military Service.

Captain Nemo
29th July 2021, 04:38 PM
Oh this thread just golf, or all sports in general?

Captain Nemo
29th July 2021, 04:39 PM
Looking forward to the breakdancing!

markTHEblake
29th July 2021, 07:36 PM
Is there a way to watch replays of certain events, like the 100m sprints without seeing spoilers?

Ferrins
30th July 2021, 09:26 AM
Out of the 28 major winners in the last decade only 6 are teeing it up for this.

ParkRoyal
30th July 2021, 10:06 AM
Is there a way to watch replays of certain events, like the 100m sprints without seeing spoilers?

7+ has channels for each sport with both mini shows and in some instances full replays. But not a 100% sure on heats etc

AndyP
30th July 2021, 10:45 AM
7+ has channels for each sport with both mini shows and in some instances full replays. But not a 100% sure on heats etc
The titles of the replays and minis often contain spoilers, I believe.

goughy
30th July 2021, 10:52 AM
Oh this thread just golf, or all sports in general?

It's on tour talk, so I'd say just the golf. Start a thread in the sports bar for all things olympics!

Captain Nemo
30th July 2021, 10:54 AM
Go The Mullet

3Puttpete
30th July 2021, 01:21 PM
The Korean blokes (not sure about the women) have a huge incentive to win, Gold medal gets them out of 2 years Military Service.

I think it’s any medal

Captain Nemo
30th July 2021, 01:38 PM
Some big names making a move…

damoocow
30th July 2021, 02:13 PM
Must have been a clothing sale at the local hospital judging by the number of white trousers being worn today.

Captain Nemo
1st August 2021, 12:30 PM
Most interesting thing I have learned so far today is that Rory Sabatini is representing Slovakia.

Go Rory!

Captain Nemo
1st August 2021, 02:11 PM
The South African Slovakian tearing it up!

markTHEblake
1st August 2021, 02:41 PM
These olympics are the bravest ever, is so inspiring. The aussie guy in the 10000 was so brave because he got up and finished the race. The US gymnast was so brave for quitting so her team would lose the gold. The aussie lady rugby 7s were so brave bawling their eyes out when they got belted by Fiji. I cant wait to see who is brave next.

Captain Nemo
1st August 2021, 03:12 PM
Wrong thread, lol

Stuart
1st August 2021, 04:00 PM
The South African Slovakian tearing it up!

61! Currently in the silver medal spot - great vindication and payoff for the immense work put in by the Slovakian Olympic golf program.

Captain Nemo
1st August 2021, 04:01 PM
Bwahahahahaha 100%

Stuart
1st August 2021, 04:29 PM
Now tied for the Gold!

Captain Nemo
1st August 2021, 04:43 PM
Might be their one and only ever in golf!

Ron Burgundy
1st August 2021, 05:24 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210801/c60329aade7ca22f32e8ded3cab5ce09.jpg
I picked this up during the week to commentate Bratislava’s favourite son making it to the olympics, but never thought he’d pick up silver and win low Rory!

petethepilot
1st August 2021, 06:11 PM
Should be a lock in for the Ryder Cup. Love to see Rory and Cheater Reed going toe to toe!

jimandr
1st August 2021, 09:43 PM
I was a non-believer for golf in the Games.

In one way I still am, but as a golf fan, may this be the second of many. The event was great from start to finish, even without crowds, the finish was super exciting, and in the end the right player won. i got the feeling the players REALLY wanted to win a medal rather than just be there to meet other athletes and have a good time.

And we get to watch the women next weekend go through it all again. 7plus will be getting another full workout from me.

Stuart
2nd August 2021, 10:03 AM
I agree that this version was better than at Rio, but I still think that they have continued to squib on the format - another 72 hole strokeplay tournament really doesn't do anything to lift itself above the mundane.

If I was in charge (fingers-crossed that my plans for world domination are close to fruition), I would switch it to a two-person three day tournament:
- day one being best-ball,
- day two alternate shot, and
- day three combined strokeplay scores.

Winning team is the one with the best cumulative score, but the player with the best solo score on day three also wins a separate gold (a one day sprint in effect). This would mean that even if a team is out of it, both players have something to shoot for. Equally, it could create some interesting team dynamics with a player needing to balance their person ambitions with that of the team. Would love to see Patrick Read on the US team in that situation ...

markTHEblake
2nd August 2021, 10:12 AM
Likewise ! Or like a shootout format where 1 player per hole is elimininated. Something to get us excited.

Long drive should have been in the olympics before this.

Stuart
2nd August 2021, 11:14 AM
Long drive should have been in the olympics before this.

That is a much better suggestion than mine! Love the idea of long drive being an Olympic event - that would fit nicely.

markTHEblake
2nd August 2021, 12:48 PM
Did you see our Discus chucker? They also showed some clips of his Long Driver skill (didnt look that great though).

Captain Nemo
2nd August 2021, 01:03 PM
Go Rory
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210802/4c5091d9d99c1325107d91fe044a9749.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

markTHEblake
2nd August 2021, 01:26 PM
Not sure if its how their Olympic soccer team was selected but the running gag in Indonesia for a while is that none of their soccer team can speak indonesian :-)

Happens everywhere. And good on Rory for doing something growing the game in eastern europe, golf is fairly scarce over there.

Ferrins
2nd August 2021, 02:35 PM
Wow got to feel for the Hockeyroos and the Rugger chicks.

petethepilot
2nd August 2021, 04:34 PM
The rugger chicks tossed it away. Hospital passes inside your 22 when u are leading with 3 minutes to go is suicidal.

Steve57
2nd August 2021, 08:02 PM
And the Hockeyroos were gassed after going too hard too early in the Tournament. You don’t get extra points for having the biggest goal difference. Once you are two goals in front you back off and save yourself for the rest of the event.

thecollective
2nd August 2021, 09:33 PM
Laurel competing in the snatch (no pun intended) tonight

British cometary already dropped a ‘he’ bomb. Albeit quietly

Missed the first attempt, hopefully he/she/it keeps that going

Cheat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thecollective
2nd August 2021, 09:37 PM
Appeal card went through, 2 misses one to go

thecollective
2nd August 2021, 09:40 PM
Goodbye cheat

Flavzz
2nd August 2021, 09:56 PM
Goodbye cheatSent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Not a very effective cheat. No successful lifts.

thecollective
2nd August 2021, 10:56 PM
Not a very effective cheat. No successful lifts.

Too much pressure, should of pulled out and claimed discrimination. Might earn some brownie points with the non binary supporters

markTHEblake
2nd August 2021, 11:19 PM
Not a very effective cheat. No successful lifts.

yeah, but he was so brave to compete.

thecollective
2nd August 2021, 11:32 PM
You would say that since transitioning you have lost the right to the clean and jerk

AndyP
3rd August 2021, 08:51 AM
So much hatefulness.

Webster
3rd August 2021, 08:53 AM
She looks no different to most New Zealand women.

Ron Burgundy
3rd August 2021, 08:55 AM
It’s clearly good for the sport. Just look how invested people are in women’s weightlifting if even blokes on an Australian golf forum are engaged in the result of a single NZ weightlifter. What did you think about Wenwen Li’s effort? Pretty dominant victory hey.

PerryGroves
3rd August 2021, 12:47 PM
She looks no different to most New Zealand women.

One of my good mates was born in Christchurch (fortunately after more years here he has lost most of the icksent). He always said he never looked for a boarding gate at the airport when flying home, he just followed the "plain" looking girls.

darkeststar07
3rd August 2021, 01:46 PM
Changed his nationality for two reasons - solidarity with his Slovak wife, and to qualify for the Olympics.He didn't change nationality. He's dual citizen of S Africa and Slovakia. He chose to represent Slovakia instead.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

markTHEblake
3rd August 2021, 08:58 PM
The aussie in the hurdles looks like he is running in thongs, carrying an esky, late for bbq. He gonna be our next sporting legend.

Captain Nemo
3rd August 2021, 11:23 PM
Where you watching the Sportingbet add?

thecollective
4th August 2021, 12:22 AM
Great night for straya, highlight being the kookaburras who now play Belgium for gold.

Boomers, boxing, beach volleyball (thanks Peru for your immigration)

Going to be a great week

Ferrins
4th August 2021, 11:31 AM
Sky Brown, wow!

Love her wedges too

Ferrins
5th August 2021, 10:11 AM
Why so much love for skateboarding?

Who gives a s...

Captain Nemo
5th August 2021, 10:58 AM
Skateboarders?

pt73
5th August 2021, 04:27 PM
We also added another Gold after Keegan Palmer won the inaugural men’s skateboarding park final.

If it gets kids off their bums and outside on a skateboard, I'm all for it.

jimandr
5th August 2021, 05:00 PM
Why so much love for skateboarding?

Who gives a s...

I don't. But you clearly do. I don't even know who Sky Brown is.

This is a golf forum, and I watch and comment on golf.

For those not watching, Nelly Korda just choked her 18th to miss a chance at 59.

Also for those not watching, Hannah Green was wearing a $2.00 Aussie bucket hat as seen at The Reject Shop. I'm hoping she wears it on the podium (but probably not while collecting the gold).

3Puttpete
5th August 2021, 05:54 PM
We also added another Gold after Keegan Palmer won the inaugural men’s skateboarding park final.

If it gets kids off their bums and outside on a skateboard, I'm all for it.

And walking up hill through snow to and from school

damoocow
5th August 2021, 08:00 PM
Ha ha, suck on that one Sam Kerr.

Webster
5th August 2021, 08:06 PM
I don't think those soccer ladies suck on anything...

3Puttpete
5th August 2021, 08:54 PM

Who hurt you?

Sookie1
5th August 2021, 08:59 PM
It was pretty hard not to be impressed with the 14 year old Chinese diver that won the gold in the 10 MTR platform. So you g and so skilled. Hate to think what sort of a childhood she had though to be as good as she was today.

Captain Nemo
5th August 2021, 09:00 PM
I don't think those soccer ladies suck on anything...
Clits?

thecollective
5th August 2021, 09:39 PM
Gutted, solid effort from the kookaburras, Belgium a bit too solid in the end

Captain Nemo
5th August 2021, 09:46 PM
Shit way to lose….

thecollective
5th August 2021, 10:05 PM
The Bahamas 400 winner: looks like the creepy Bahama guy from the James Bond movie; coincidence?

thecollective
5th August 2021, 11:17 PM
Fine form Ice Man #decathalon

ParkRoyal
6th August 2021, 09:25 AM
ha ha, suck on that one sam kerr.

wtf?

Captain Nemo
6th August 2021, 09:52 AM
Agree, very unaustralian

WBennett
6th August 2021, 10:24 AM
this.fkn.team.

Best link around.

thecollective
6th August 2021, 10:29 AM
One gold away from beating Athens record….

Flavzz
6th August 2021, 11:00 AM
One gold away from beating Athens record….Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk I must say I've been very impressed at how many gold we've been raking in to date! The swimmers really got us off to a hot start.

ParkRoyal
6th August 2021, 11:34 AM
this.fkn.team.

Best link around.

hahahaha I think I've seen this about 20 times.

Its just a goat.

petethepilot
6th August 2021, 02:10 PM

Cow,
she is a hero to a lot of Australians. Would u make a comment like that to them?
Look at yourself mate.
inappropriate in my opinion and I am surprised and disappointed it hasn’t been moderated by now!

damoocow
6th August 2021, 03:34 PM
Cow,
she is a hero to a lot of Australians. Would u make a comment like that to them?
Look at yourself mate.
inappropriate in my opinion and I am surprised and disappointed it has been moderated by now!

If you knew her history you would know the 'suck'comment is one she has previously made herself in her role of captain of an Australian team.
She has demonstrated herself to be an arrogant turd in the opinion of some people.
She has fostered a degree of bad sportmanship within her team also, there were quite a few examples of this during their Olympic matches, consequently i was very glad to see them miss out on a medal.
I have no issue if you think my comment is inappropriate just as i have no issue with your admiration of her.

markTHEblake
6th August 2021, 04:36 PM
gotta admit that is a great first post for a while from the cow!

now gentlemen, handbags at 20 paces and settle this.
i like all of you, so I aint taking sides :)

ParkRoyal
6th August 2021, 04:42 PM
If you knew her history you would know the 'suck'comment is one she has previously made herself in her role of captain of an Australian team.
She has demonstrated herself to be an arrogant turd in the opinion of some people.
She has fostered a degree of bad sportmanship within her team also, there were quite a few examples of this during their Olympic matches, consequently i was very glad to see them miss out on a medal.
I have no issue if you think my comment is inappropriate just as i have no issue with your admiration of her.

What an absolute load of turd.

AndyP
6th August 2021, 06:56 PM
I am surprised and disappointed it hasn’t been moderated by now!Really? You're that offended.

Captain Nemo
6th August 2021, 07:18 PM
What an absolute load of turd.

Agree, big load of BS!

thecollective
6th August 2021, 07:55 PM
Agree, big load of BS!

You mean Cow sh*t in this instance

petethepilot
6th August 2021, 08:06 PM
Really? You're that offended.

Andy, do you really think that post contributed anything to Ozgolf?

If I had a daughter who played Soccer or was gay, I would be no longer posting here!
I have no idea what ‘inside knowledge’ DC has about the Matilda’s, but Kerr is the Australian Captain.
The team has had huge upheavals in the lead up to the olympics yet proudly represented the country.
Finally, any team that beats the Poms will have my support.

3Puttpete
6th August 2021, 08:06 PM
https://youtu.be/4nKvJnQO9cY

damoocow
6th August 2021, 08:40 PM
For the record I made no comments about gender or sexuality and never claimed to have any inside knowledge of anything. To me the fact that Kerr is Australian captain doesn't automatically engender respect.
I gave an personal opinion, and there have been thousands of opinions on ozgolf over the years, many of which I have disagreed with.
Obviously this time I have trodden on some little flowers in the 'Australia is just so damn good' garden, and that has annoyed some.
And anyway I love you all, and if you were next to me I'd give you a big hug, maybe even a kiss, and buy you a nice hoppy beer.

AndyP
6th August 2021, 09:52 PM
Andy, do you really think that post contributed anything to Ozgolf?If I had a daughter who played Soccer or was gay, I would be no longer posting here!I have no idea what ‘inside knowledge’ DC has about the Matilda’s, but Kerr is the Australian Captain.The team has had huge upheavals in the lead up to the olympics yet proudly represented the country.Finally, any team that beats the Poms will have my support.There are a lot of posts that don't "contribute to OZgolf" if saying that something sucks is the criteria.

I have no idea what Sam Kerr being gay has to do with damoocow's comment. Maybe read his comment again. There is plenty of hate for other sports people on this forum.

AndyP
6th August 2021, 09:57 PM
https://youtu.be/4nKvJnQO9cYAnd context.

Captain Nemo
6th August 2021, 09:58 PM
Anyway how’s the javelin!

AndyP
6th August 2021, 10:06 PM
Anyway how’s the javelin!Off topic. This thread is in Tour Talk, not Sports Bar. Hannah Green talk only.

Captain Nemo
6th August 2021, 10:32 PM
Go the bucket hat! 8-)

markTHEblake
6th August 2021, 10:41 PM
Off topic. This thread is in Tour Talk, not Sports Bar. Hannah Green talk only. Be careful. Sometimes you say stuff that might make people think you have a sense of humour.

petethepilot
6th August 2021, 10:45 PM
“Ha ha, suck on that one Sam Kerr.“

This place is not what it was.

See yeah!

AndyP
6th August 2021, 10:51 PM
“Ha ha, suck on that one Sam Kerr.“This place is not what it was.See yeah!Did you look at the YouTube clip?

NewyMitch
6th August 2021, 10:55 PM
Did you look at the YouTube clip? Unfortunately the first comment was without any context at all and read very poorly.

thecollective
6th August 2021, 10:58 PM
Hall and Hull…

A very large portion yes!

Ron Burgundy
6th August 2021, 11:04 PM
It was a shit take, but this is an Internet forum, so shit takes are essentially a requirement. FWIW I only know moocow based on his posts here, 80% of which seem to be of him being a miserable bastard hanging shit on various Australian sporting teams, so his Sam Kerr take seemed pretty on brand and not worth raising a sweat over.

Anyway, the olympics will be over in a couple of days and we can all go back to not caring about 99% of the sports and athletes until it all starts again in Paris in 3 years. Although I’d rather watch even dressage, race walking or rhythmic gymnastics than this weeks bland PGA tour stop, the Swampass Invitational (or most PGA tour weeks).

thecollective
6th August 2021, 11:08 PM
Bronze in the jav, fine form Barber

Had the yips this year, such a thing in Javelin

Captain Nemo
6th August 2021, 11:10 PM
Moooooo!

thecollective
6th August 2021, 11:25 PM
Super impressed with the track and field, cut 50% of gymnastics budget and put it where we’re actually getting a ROI

Captain Nemo
6th August 2021, 11:26 PM
Flicked over to the soccer final…

BUSHY
7th August 2021, 08:21 PM
Loved the velodrome tonight. Some intense and crazy sh!t going on there.

Captain Nemo
7th August 2021, 08:31 PM
Ditto.
let’s go Boomers!

BUSHY
7th August 2021, 10:30 PM
Ditto.
let’s go Boomers!

Some dodgy calls