PDA

View Full Version : Advice on iron head and shaft combo

dee cee
24th June 2021, 07:16 PM
Gday all,

Some thoughts if you can…

Have bought some iron heads that are slightly lighter in the head when compared to most modern irons. I’m talking 10grams different in each head.

Would this change what shaft you’d choose also by 10 grams or it doesn’t quite work that way?

New Heads - Callaway Legacy Black

Current head is apex pro with Nippon 950 shaft.

Thanks

petethepilot
24th June 2021, 07:30 PM
The main issue will be swing weight being less.

Adjusting the weight of the club head by 2 grams adjusts the swing weight by 1 point. Adjusting the weight of the shaft by 9 grams adjusts the swing weight by 1 point. Adjusting the weight of the grip by 5 grams adjusts the swing weight by 1 point.

The other big change is length. 1 “ extra increases swing weight by 6 points.

Increase the length of shaft by 1/2” and play a 5g lighter grip and a 10g lighter shaft and it should feel the same swingweight although lighter overall.

dee cee
25th June 2021, 08:19 PM
Thanks Pete, good info… What if I didn’t want to have longer clubs? I’m slightly vertically challenged 😬. if I used a lighter shaft by say 10 grams would that assist?

rick3003
25th June 2021, 09:49 PM
Sounds like you need some tip weights

rick3003
25th June 2021, 09:50 PM
Balance point of the shafts can also make a difference

petethepilot
25th June 2021, 10:24 PM
Why are Legacy black heads 10 g lighter? I had a set of them years ago and they didn’t feel lighter! As rick says, some tip weights will help you. Do u 1 club and work out what you like the feel of best.

dee cee
29th June 2021, 06:39 PM
No idea why they are lighter but the info I find online seems to mirror this.

I’ll just play around with it and see what I come up with. Thanks for all your help.